Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Nov 2014, 14:18 (Ref:3478223)   #1376
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think that there is now no doubt whatsoever, that Lewis Hamilton is the greatest driver of all time surpassing all of the names from past era's;
Fangio, Stewart, Piquet, Lauda, Senna, and Schumacher.

We can assume this because at the start of the season he had four previous World Champions in the field, four times Champion Sebastien Vettel, double Champ Fernando Alonso, as well as Jenson Button and Kimi Raikkonnen.
None of these even took a single victory over the course of the season or finished in the top three of the points table. Such a comprehensive demolishment of such opposition proves beyond any doubt that Lewis truly is a cut above anybody who has gone before, his talent is simply amazing.

He is a inspiration to the youth of our country in the way he has risen from virtual poverty and by his own efforts become one of the worlds top sportsmen.

I take my hat off to him, he makes me proud to be an Englishman.

Bauble.
Old 24 Nov 2014, 14:25 (Ref:3478226)   #1377
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Glad to see Hamilton win, I think he was the better driver over the course of the year, and he is an immense talent no doubt.

The whole waving the British flag thing seems somewhat ironic when he no longer lives in the UK. Don't know, that just rubs me up the wrong way a bit. If he is so proud to be British, maybe he should actually live here and contribute some tax etc.
Old 24 Nov 2014, 14:32 (Ref:3478229)   #1378
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I think that there is now no doubt whatsoever, that Lewis Hamilton is the greatest driver of all time surpassing all of the names from past era's;

We can assume this because at the start of the season he had four previous World Champions in the field, four times Champion Sebastien Vettel, double Champ Fernando Alonso, as well as Jenson Button and Kimi Raikkonnen.
None of these even took a single victory over the course of the season or finished in the top three of the points table. Such a comprehensive demolishment of such opposition proves beyond any doubt that Lewis truly is a cut above anybody who has gone before, his talent is simply amazing.
There will be alot of people who will disagree with you for a number of reasons.

Quote:
He is a inspiration to the youth of our country in the way he has risen from virtual poverty and by his own efforts become one of the worlds top sportsmen.

Bauble.
Otherwise, I hope he is an inspiration, though I'm too sure about the virtual poverty.
Old 24 Nov 2014, 14:37 (Ref:3478231)   #1379
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think that you will find that was a typical over the top, tongue in cheek wind up from Bob (bauble), given his previous posts in this thread! He doesn't know how to be serious - well, not often, anyway!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 24 Nov 2014, 14:37 (Ref:3478232)   #1380
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My dear Bauble, either you're fishing or you should consider an appointment with your GP.

Old 24 Nov 2014, 14:38 (Ref:3478233)   #1381
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
relative poverty perhaps, particularly when compared to rosberg and those who grew up with private jets and boats in their lives.

but there's guys like esteban ocon and to a degree, at least in his racing career, stoffel vandoorne who were cut from similar financial cloth. ocon's family were living in a mobile home when he was picked up by the genii/gravity lot. he's going to have an interesting story crafted for him by the slightly more sensational end of the motorsport press when he gets to f1.
Old 24 Nov 2014, 16:33 (Ref:3478262)   #1382
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
I think that you will find that was a typical over the top, tongue in cheek wind up from Bob (bauble), given his previous posts in this thread! He doesn't know how to be serious - well, not often, anyway!
[QUOTE My dear Bauble, either you're fishing or you should consider an appointment with your GP. ] [/QUOTE]

Both wrong, I have seen the light since listening to the BBC commentators, reading the tabloids this morning, and also David Coulthard in the Telegraph.

How could I have been so wrong all these years?

Let's face it he has made Monaco proud.
Old 24 Nov 2014, 16:38 (Ref:3478263)   #1383
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Poor old Murray. I think he may finally be starting to lose his baubles.
Old 24 Nov 2014, 16:53 (Ref:3478266)   #1384
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
always look on the bright side of life...having a German team operate out of the UK more then makes up for a British driver who operates out of Monaco.
Old 24 Nov 2014, 18:23 (Ref:3478288)   #1385
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was an old fotographer called bauble
Who appears to have lost more than one marble
He writes lots and lots
Which just gives us the trots
So maybe he'll lose his pen and just warble!

(Love you really Bob)
Old 24 Nov 2014, 18:25 (Ref:3478289)   #1386
bauble
Veteran

England
OK! Let's be fair to Lewis, he has now equalled the feats of

Alberto Ascari

Jim Clark.

Graham Hill.

Emerson Fittipaldi.

Mika Hakinnen.

and,

Fernando Alonso.

One more Title and he will join;

Jack Brabham.

Jackie Stewart.

Nelson Piquet.

Niki Lauda.

and,

Ayrton Senna.

Two more titles and he will equal;

Alain Prost.

and Sebastien Vettel.

Three more and he is level with;

Juan Fangio.

Five more and he matches;

Michael Schumacher.

Six more and;

He becomes the 'greatest driver of all time'.

Congratulations to him, but let us keep a sense of proportion.
Old 24 Nov 2014, 18:26 (Ref:3478290)   #1387
bauble
Veteran

England
Should we start a bad verse section for Clive?
Old 24 Nov 2014, 19:37 (Ref:3478324)   #1388
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Proportion yes Bob ,but don't let your prejudice get in the way of being objective either.
Old 24 Nov 2014, 19:46 (Ref:3478330)   #1389
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
Should we start a bad verse section for Clive?
I think there'd be too many asterisks.
Old 24 Nov 2014, 20:14 (Ref:3478337)   #1390
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
OK! Let's be fair to Lewis, he has now equalled the feats of

Alberto Ascari

Jim Clark.

Graham Hill.

Emerson Fittipaldi.

Mika Hakinnen.

and,

Fernando Alonso.

One more Title and he will join;

Jack Brabham.

Jackie Stewart.

Nelson Piquet.

Niki Lauda.

and,

Ayrton Senna.

Two more titles and he will equal;

Alain Prost.

and Sebastien Vettel.

Three more and he is level with;

Juan Fangio.

Five more and he matches;

Michael Schumacher.

Six more and;

He becomes the 'greatest driver of all time'.

Congratulations to him, but let us keep a sense of proportion.
Not to offend you bauble but I would rate some of those who only had two titles as the greatest of all, so there is no reason why Lewis Hamilton could not one day be considered the greatest of them all without winning another title... I am not saying that is likely, but it is possible. I would not rate some of the four, five, six or seven title holders in my top 10....
Old 24 Nov 2014, 20:59 (Ref:3478361)   #1391
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Not to offend you bauble but I would rate some of those who only had two titles as the greatest of all, so there is no reason why Lewis Hamilton could not one day be considered the greatest of them all without winning another title... I am not saying that is likely, but it is possible. I would not rate some of the four, five, six or seven title holders in my top 10....
No offence taken Tere -t, I expect differering views, and indeed welcome them, after all we all share the same love of the sport, and should be able to disagree in friendship, without giving or taking offence.

Basically I feel the adulation that is lavished on Hamilton's second championship in seven years is over the top, especially as he really only beat Nico Rosberg in a straight fight. No other car/driver combination was ever in the mix for a proper challenge to the Mercs superiority.

And Clive! Yes I admit I am no fan of the Stevenage Boy, but recognise his racing skills. It is the rest of him I find hard to like.

Tere-t; For me Fangio will always be the 'greatest' for more reasons than just his 5 titles. He was a perfect example of how to behave as World Champion.

The number of race wins or World Titles does not necessarily make for greatness in my book.

But I admit, also to being old, bigoted, and biased.

Kind regards,

Bob.
Old 24 Nov 2014, 21:27 (Ref:3478369)   #1392
bauble
Veteran

England
Would you believe it?

I have just received an e-mail offering me 'Lewis Hamilton World Champion Tee Shirts',...............................

Clive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 24 Nov 2014, 21:33 (Ref:3478371)   #1393
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Drink

Quote:

Bauble.
Time for me to bring in doctor Adam !
Old 24 Nov 2014, 21:36 (Ref:3478372)   #1394
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
We're over the top because we've just crowned a champion.

Don't worry. We'll sober up and revert to our cynicism in the weeks ahead.
Old 24 Nov 2014, 22:06 (Ref:3478383)   #1395
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
bauble is flailing here, it's going to be a long off-season for the lad.

Old 25 Nov 2014, 08:03 (Ref:3478486)   #1396
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We finally got Bob to own up. We have to put this in the context of the age we live in. I think LH is a great driver but not the greatest and I still regard Alonso as the best of the current crop although I think that position is now under challenge. The best driver of the season is surely Ricciardo. To take 3 wins in the face of the Mercedes steamroller and to destroy a 4 time world champion into the bargain was more than impressive.

It's all subjective of course, but as Bob says, it's not all about statistics. As far as I am concerned the greatest driver never won a single F1 World Championship, and I bet I don't even have to name him.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 25 Nov 2014, 08:55 (Ref:3478508)   #1397
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ricciardo was pretty much on a par with Hamilton and ever so slightly above Alonso I would have said this season.

Very different situations though I would say. Dan came into the season expected to be humbled by Vettel. Then Vettel didn't actually bother to turn up all year and, allied to the Red Bull being firmly the second best car (not challenged from behind too often, not expected to win) he was never under any real pressure at any point all year. I think that showed in his driving and demeanour.

It has been a pleasure watching him and he's a great racer, but the real tests are down the road. We will learn a lot more about Dan (and Vettel for that matter) in the coming years.
Old 25 Nov 2014, 09:10 (Ref:3478515)   #1398
bauble
Veteran

England
"It's all subjective of course, but as Bob says, it's not all about statistics. As far as I am concerned the greatest driver never won a single F1 World Championship, and I bet I don't even have to name him." -John Turner.

I have said it before, John, and I repeat it here;

Nuvolari, Fangio, Moss. On a pedestal.

Now you can sort out your top ten.

Any way, what do you mean finally own up?

I have never made any secret about being a Silly Old Fool!
Old 25 Nov 2014, 11:34 (Ref:3478547)   #1399
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Nuvolari, Moss and Fangio drove these extraordinary death traps on bizarre death trap tracks and combined talent and a mockery of death in such a way as the scope of their achievements will never be replicated.

That's a good thing because we need a sport with a top standard of safety but it does mean noone will ever match their achievements in all its depth and permutations. They've been time-capsuled so to speak.
Old 26 Nov 2014, 00:24 (Ref:3478732)   #1400
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Then Vettel didn't actually bother to turn up all year
Yes I get the feeling Vettel just didn't care anymore, and wasn't putting in 100%. He could still do a quick lap occasionally after pitting, but after that his pace would drop off rapidly while Dani just kept on going with decent laps. Instead of changing his style he did nothing, and really ended the season even slower than he started, compared to Ricciardo. At round 2 he was fighting for pole, and that's the closest he ever got.

My estimation of the top 3 this year has changed with Rosberg being slightly closer to Hamilton than I was expecting. Considering Schumacher was every bit as fast as Rosberg in their last season together, does that mean a Schumacher in his 40s would have taken it right down to the wire with a Lewis in his absolute prime? Ah probably wishful thinking, Rosberg was probably having an average season in 2012.

Alonso did better than I expected as well compared to Kimi, I mean he was always going to beat him, but Kimi just got thrashed this year. I'm surprised Ferrari even want to keep him, if he can't drive their car, and they can't change it, then hire someone who can. Being within a few seconds at Abu Dhabi was almost his best effort. But I think Alonso probably was losing interest by seasons end as well and just wants those McLaren overalls on and put the disappointment of wasting 5 years without a title with Ferrari behind him.

My overall ranking:
1. Alonso
2. Hamilton
3. Vettel
4. Rosberg
5. Ricciardo

Ricciardo was the best performance of the year, but I'd have to see how he goes with Kyvat and no Adrian Newey for a few years before putting him near the top 3. Kyvat might push him more than Vettel did.

Last year I definitely would have put Vettel 2 but he's definitely lost that after his poor performance and ability to adapt in 2014.