Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 10 Jul 2015, 18:43 (Ref:3557376)   #1401
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
I don't agree with this at all.
The casual fans probably don't care what circuits are raced on but some of us do, a lot. Why should we roll over and die instead of using what (very) little power we've got to try to affect what choices are made?

And I'm going to beat the dead horse some more. Looking past the actual circuits, am I the only one who sees an advantage in it self in choosing circuits where F1 doesn't race? For most people F1 would still be the main event of the year by a lot and then there's "those Le Mans cars". But if they go to say, Brno or Mosport, WEC would be the main event. There are so many nice circuits around the world that could easily host great race weekends, why choose the ones where you have to compete against a commercially superior oponent?

Oh, and I do enjoy watching the whole WEC season. A lot!
I didnt say I liked their choice of tracks. I would rather they race at Road America than COTA, but its not going to happen. Instead of wasting my time complaining and crying over it, I get on with the fact theyre in the U.S. at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
With this analogy we would still have slavery. And monarch dictator kings leading Europe. And women couldn't vote or have proper rights. And and and. Because if everyone always accept things as they are, nothing ever changes. Sure there are many things that you just do need to live with it, like your parents dying or you getting cancer or whatever where there is no real choice of anything, but that's not all. There is liberty of speech, liberty of doing things your way, liberty of thinking against the norm.

What if the fact was that for next year, the FIA said Circuit de la Sarthe was too dangerous for race cars and ACO would have to relocate Le Mans if they still want to keep the name So they would choose Abu Dhabi. The Le Mans 24 Hours at Abu Dhabi. With 35 WEC entrans only allowed, and maximum of 5 "wildcard" entries selected by the ACO. I guess you would simply have to accept it, no point in wishing for the better or remembering the past, this is the present and all what there is, let's enjoy that then. And it's as amazing as it was before, and if you don't think like that then don't watch it!
Your analogy is pointless. This is a racing series, it has nothing to do with anything you posted in that first paragraph. They arent going to stop going to Le Mans. If the cars are too fast theyll slow them down. Youre giving scenarios out that wont happen, just like them having a sudden change of heart and running at somewhere like Mosport. The series is built around Le Mans, the event, a town, not just in name. Thats what these other rounds are. 6 hours of "blank" in Germany, Japan, Mid East, North America... At least with Silverstone they try to link up the history with the continuing of the "tourist trophy".

Its great seeing people talk about history in the U.S. But where are they going to race that has an international history? Cant go to Sebring or Daytona. Tusc has that on lockdown. They just said no to Laguna Seca. Being realistic, theyre going to choose super modern places like COTA. Like I said, you can wish all you want. Complain about it, choose to boycott their series or races in the U.S. etc. If COTA fails, theyre not going to suddenly 'step backwards' in their eyes and go to a place like VIR.

You can criticize me all you want. I dont care if you dont like my opinion. It doesnt change the facts of what the wec are apparently looking for in a venue. I dont agree with it, but I cant act like what I think matters much. Theyre going to do what they want, so Im not going to waste my time and punch them for their choices every time it comes up.
Old 10 Jul 2015, 19:27 (Ref:3557389)   #1402
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
It's clear the FIA/WEC don't wanna go to tracks with great appeal to the sportscar community, there's no rational reason why they cannot go to Sebring or Daytona. They run the CotA event together with IMSA and it would put much more value into the Le Mans connection that IMSA apparently is hanging on to for dear life so sorting out a deal to race at both or either of the two tracks can be (easily) done. Just not at their respective blue riband events.

But FIA/WEC don't want to. Because they are convinced of their own awesomeness and have the illusion they can organize and establish brand new events at brand new venues with little or no sportscar heritage. How much cockiness do you want? Or maybe they actually don't wanna be successful anywhere else because it would take away too much glory from everybody's beloved grand LM race? Who's to tell?

It will take some time before the manufacturers will see this as well and start pushing for changes. Hopefully it won't be too late, I would hate to loose top level sportscar racing in NA (although it's pretty slim right now already).
Old 10 Jul 2015, 19:44 (Ref:3557393)   #1403
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Define successful. Do you think 30,000 spectators is pretty good success? What kind of success are they looking for if its not ticket sales? TV audience? If the WEC has a good audience at at "parking lot" in COTA, why would they stop? They just renewed a contract with them, actually.
Old 10 Jul 2015, 20:38 (Ref:3557405)   #1404
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
WEC only goes to grade 1 tracks. You can criticize this decision, but this type of track also has the benefits of 6hr of racing with minimal FCY.
Old 10 Jul 2015, 21:01 (Ref:3557408)   #1405
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But we like FCY don't we? At least that is my impression from the chat round here. The praise we get for TUSC seems to indicate that.
Old 11 Jul 2015, 14:39 (Ref:3557557)   #1406
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish Primer View Post
WEC only goes to grade 1 tracks. You can criticize this decision, but this type of track also has the benefits of 6hr of racing with minimal FCY.
No it doesn't. There's a Grade 2 track in there. Maybe they should remove it, which makes Chiana's idea a perfectly feasable one.

Only, instead of being the Le Mans 24 Hours at Abu Dhabi, it would make sense to shorten it to 6 hours, surely? It's not like the corporate guests who are being sought so much are going to stay for 24 hours...
Old 11 Jul 2015, 14:40 (Ref:3557558)   #1407
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
But we like FCY don't we? At least that is my impression from the chat round here. The praise we get for TUSC seems to indicate that.
I'm fine with FCY when it's the Code 60/80/VSC/Slow Zones approach; works well for me.
Old 11 Jul 2015, 21:11 (Ref:3557611)   #1408
Pandemonium
Racer

Pandemonium has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish Primer View Post
Bloody right. Forget them Americans. Always complaining. I am sure there is a forum somewhere with lots of germans complaining about not using the nordschleife for the wec...NOT.
Old 11 Jul 2015, 21:21 (Ref:3557612)   #1409
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Ironic for you to say that, seeing as how you seem to be an Audi fan and if the WEC had more "American Style" tracks, Audi would be doing even better than they have been this year. Also ironic in that Audi have traditionally not been at their strongest at the Tilkedrome-style tracks (though this year might be different).

Before the WEC, Audi raced predominantly in the ALMS on these "unsafe" tracks, and didn't have a problem with it. In fact, quite a few of their drivers basically called them "real man's" tracks.

Fact of the matter is that the WEC have a fetish with the Grade 1 tracks because of amenities for team and series guests and because F1 races at them. Not to mention that if they wanna race in Asia outside of Japan (where Suzuka would be an alternate for Fuji if need be), all that they can really race on are Grade 1 Tilke tracks because, really, that's about all there is worth racing on right now as it is.

Locations near big cities also helps (COTA near Austin, Fuji near Tokyo, Shanghai, Spa is near where Belgium, Holland and Germany intersect and cities like Maastricht and Cologne aren't far away, etc).
Old 11 Jul 2015, 21:31 (Ref:3557613)   #1410
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonium View Post
Bloody right. Forget them Americans. Always complaining. I am sure there is a forum somewhere with lots of germans complaining about not using the nordschleife for the wec...NOT.
And you are always complaining about Americans and sportscars that race there. Sounds like you have just as big of a chip on your shoulder. Give it a rest.
Old 11 Jul 2015, 21:37 (Ref:3557615)   #1411
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I am sure there is a forum somewhere with lots of germans complaining about not using the nordschleife for the wec...NOT.
Shame on them.
Old 12 Jul 2015, 09:52 (Ref:3557755)   #1412
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Quote:
Doesn't that sort of tell you the ones complaining about COTA maybe have a point? Seeing as we're pretty much all fine with the Nurburgring track. It's not just Americans, by the way, I'm British and think exactly the same thing; it's a soulless carpark with lines painted on it in a country/continent with many of the best road courses on the planet available.

My other argument is that these tracks do absolutely nothing to further the appeal of WEC over F1 or other series. If that's the crowd they're chasing, they should be doing everything to stand out and be different. You know, like Le Mans is.

On a different note, I was thinking yesterday that if Monza does lose the F1 race (which almost certainly won't happen, it's just Bernie squeezing more Euros from people), it would be great to see WEC there, being the traditional WSC season opener.
Old 12 Jul 2015, 11:36 (Ref:3557795)   #1413
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
On a different note, I was thinking yesterday that if Monza does lose the F1 race (which almost certainly won't happen, it's just Bernie squeezing more Euros from people), it would be great to see WEC there, being the traditional WSC season opener.
While I like the idea of picking up Monza from F1 (especially in the age of factory hybrids and the mind-boggling acceleration they bring), Monza is quite a boring track otherwise. It does fit in well pre-Le Mans as a track with similar characteristics but in the other classes I can imagine the race being a little tepid.

Now if the WEC were to go to Imola ...
Old 12 Jul 2015, 12:01 (Ref:3557810)   #1414
Brake dust
Racer

United States
Brake dust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
I'm fine with FCY when it's the Code 60/80/VSC/Slow Zones approach; works well for me.
Agree with you Rodger on the code 60 slow zone. I believe it worked well at Le Mans. Just don't like the FCY in TUSC and how long it takes.
Old 12 Jul 2015, 14:10 (Ref:3557848)   #1415
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake dust View Post
Agree with you Rodger on the code 60 slow zone. I believe it worked well at Le Mans. Just don't like the FCY in TUSC and how long it takes.
The current IMSA FCY procedure really puts me off (and I feel a lot of others too) and - for me - is a bigger issue than the DP-P2 balancing act, I cannot wait for an American race series to introduce Code 60/slow zones but fear we're still light years away from it, especially in the pro series....

Anyway, glad to see the US has now added Bradford, UK to their territory, welcome Roger, I'm sure you'll enjoy the complaining spirit over here!

I'll take Imola and Monza over Silverstone anytime, I've never understood why they bummed up Silverstone to the season opener in April, the weather is likely to offer quite a challenge at that time a year and often it seems to be too much. Doesn't do the fan experience any good I would think - but then again what do the vips care as they're tucked into their cozy business units... Silverstone in July, as the post LM race, would make more sense in my book, leaving room for Monza (or Imola) to take a April slot and let them run without first chicane to provide some extra LM simulation!

Last edited by Coach Ep; 12 Jul 2015 at 14:19.
Old 12 Jul 2015, 16:51 (Ref:3557883)   #1416
morningview66
Racer

morningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmorningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So here my little take on an ideal season;

Increase the number of races by a few, keep the core of what we have, throw in a few classics.

Reduce the length of the "core races" to 3hrs (maybe this could bring better live TV deals) but have some more variety in race lengths 1000kms etc.

Have 2 driver LMP1 GT-Pro lineups. Have choice of 2/3 for pro-am to keep budgets.

12hrs Sebring
3hrs Monza
3hrs Silverstone
1000km Spa
24hrs Le Mans
3hrs Nurburgring
3hrs Shanghai
1000km Fuji
3hrs Kyalami
3hrs COTA
3hrs Interlagos
3hrs Bahrain

Im expecting a call from the FIA/ACO any moment.
Old 12 Jul 2015, 22:23 (Ref:3558008)   #1417
TF110
Veteran

United States
3hrs is too short imo. 4, 6 and 12 should feature.

4 hours for a place like Spa wouldnt work with the track length being 7km. But Interlagos could be better for it. They need a 12 hour race to have another 'real' endurance. I think they should switch it up bi yearly to have certain tracks have their chance for the other 'big race'.
Old 12 Jul 2015, 22:25 (Ref:3558010)   #1418
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interlagos usually had the Mil Milhas a 1000 miles race, not sure if they are now in the Stock car series.
Old 13 Jul 2015, 05:34 (Ref:3558095)   #1419
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For me anything below 6h is not endurance racing.

My ideal is 6, 9, 12 and 24 hour races.
Old 13 Jul 2015, 05:37 (Ref:3558099)   #1420
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do LMP's actually have a restriction to certain circuits? What band does the circuit have to be in..
Old 13 Jul 2015, 06:51 (Ref:3558116)   #1421
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rip dome was a dog.
Old 13 Jul 2015, 07:28 (Ref:3558122)   #1422
Pontlieue
Racer

Pontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkshireLad View Post
Do LMP's actually have a restriction to certain circuits? What band does the circuit have to be in..
LMP1 cars are restricted to Grade 1 or 2 tracks. But at the moment, the only Grade 2 track used in WEC or ELMS is Le Mans. Yes, even Estoril is still Grade 1.

Nürburgring Nordschleife (for example) is Grade 3, so LMP cars can not run there in FIA championships.
Old 13 Jul 2015, 09:03 (Ref:3558143)   #1423
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Sorry for coming over all killjoy, but the budget impact of introducing much longer races has to be taken into account as well. Works teams could handle a varied schedule (i.e. 4 to 12 hour races) but even the better funded privateers may struggle if the overall impact is a significant increase in hours on track.
Old 13 Jul 2015, 10:19 (Ref:3558156)   #1424
Brake dust
Racer

United States
Brake dust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After watching the F1 race at Silverstone last week with the nice weather, thought it would be great if WEC were to move to a late summer date. Would imagine more people would be interested in attending/camping. I would start the season in Bahrain.
Old 13 Jul 2015, 11:10 (Ref:3558166)   #1425
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't like the idea of starting the season in an event like Bahrain. Silverstone, Spa and Le Mans is an incredible start to the year. Maybe just add Monza in the summer gap between Le Mans and the Nurburgring and drop Bahrain from the end of the schedule. I can live with COTA, Fuji and China (just).

Just my take on the calender!