Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 25 Jun 2003, 02:26 (Ref:642175)   #1401
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AVESCO won't let anyone time them all and release them - something about 'we own the category' I believe....

But when talking about QR - have to remember the average age of the timing crew up there is 50 plus - they have to have a few days they are allowed to stay at home
Old 25 Jun 2003, 02:32 (Ref:642178)   #1402
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If AVESCO bothered to time these things and release the results, the likelihood of cheating would be a lot less...

I still think the all in test sessions would make more sense.... its hard to confirm that driver X did a laptime of Y if its not verifiable....
Old 25 Jun 2003, 03:59 (Ref:642198)   #1403
CooperS79
Racer

Australia
Wollongong
CooperS79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Racetime, will be good to get a bit of a report from that Procar test day. Who was there and a few times would be great!
Old 25 Jun 2003, 05:10 (Ref:642223)   #1404
RaceTime
Veteran

<RaceTime dips into his crystal ball...Ouch - must remember to cut fingernails!>

Will tell you when it has happened - doesn't take place until next Wednesday - and still haven't heard back from Oran Park...
Old 25 Jun 2003, 09:28 (Ref:642409)   #1405
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hows about the F3 at Bathurst, does your crystal ball see that one happening??
Old 25 Jun 2003, 09:39 (Ref:642420)   #1406
RaceTime
Veteran

I have asked Bruce Keys about this however he was just on his way out of his office at CAMS and won't be back until at least tomorrow - soon as he gets back will let you know.

Not sure though - Formula Ford are permitted as as Formula Vee but the additional speed of Formula 3 may be too great - but will wait and see.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 00:20 (Ref:643255)   #1407
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the thing with FFord and FVee is that they don't have any aerodynamic bits that can fall off. With them they won't be coming over the first hump and have the car go into orbit.

I remember a rear wing fell off a car at the Gold Coast last year, and being a non-aero track he was able to hold onto it, but it was a dog...
Old 26 Jun 2003, 01:00 (Ref:643281)   #1408
RaceTime
Veteran

Not like a few years ago at the Mt Panorama SATCC round in March when Dick Johnsons (and others I seem to recall) rear wing collapsed on conrod...
Old 26 Jun 2003, 02:52 (Ref:643313)   #1409
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But a 1350kg car isn't going to collide with the MIR space station when the wings fall off...

Dicky just had a big spin into the sand trap.

Problem was the little open wheelers and sports cars that killed all of the people on Conrod before the ban was brought in.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 03:32 (Ref:643333)   #1410
RaceTime
Veteran

I am aware of that but the same principle applies - if any of the cars lose their aerodynamics (which are designed to keep their cars ON the ground) fail, anything can (and most likely will) happen
Old 26 Jun 2003, 03:40 (Ref:643339)   #1411
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
But an F3 without a rear wing would go like a jet down conrod... and if you believe the effects in "Race Driver" are real, the fastest way down the straight is across the sand in the Chase, not through the right-left-right series
Old 26 Jun 2003, 04:34 (Ref:643353)   #1412
smithers
Racer

Australia
smithers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i guess i am not the only person that goes flat out down conrod than aims for the grass "landing strip" near the chase....
Old 26 Jun 2003, 05:05 (Ref:643359)   #1413
hoonboyz
Racer

hoonboyz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
pity that there is a big nasty tyre wall there in real life aye []
Old 26 Jun 2003, 06:24 (Ref:643379)   #1414
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
It looks good on the replay on Race Driver though, sometimes I imagine I am Roddler Forbes and drive whichever junkheap I select into walls, smashing windscreens, windows, lights, bumpers, splitters, wings.... knock a few doors off, execute a roll over or two, see how far I can survive in the air thru the sand and grass on Caltex Chase.... Awesome... till the tyres blow... I wonder what its like to drive a car with no tyre on the rim at 200km/h+

Just wish it were a little more real with the dips and curves, and the crowns of the road....
Old 26 Jun 2003, 11:34 (Ref:643614)   #1415
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by hoonboyz
pity that there is a big nasty tyre wall there in real life aye []
There's no tyre wall at the chase, it was taken out after Don Watson's accident in 1994, if we're talking about the same thing
Old 26 Jun 2003, 11:43 (Ref:643625)   #1416
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
They replaced with another tyre wall, a fair way back towards Murray's, with no earth behind it.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 11:59 (Ref:643647)   #1417
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I probably should have noticed that, i stood at the chase for a few hours during the 24 Hours, but obviously wasn't paying enough attention
Old 26 Jun 2003, 12:16 (Ref:643668)   #1418
Monaro
Racer

Australia
Bathurst
Monaro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Crash Test

Problem was the little open wheelers and sports cars that killed all of the people on Conrod before the ban was brought in.
That was before Caltex Chase.I have driven a couple of open wheelers down conrod since the chase was put in.They get a bit lite over the last hump but I havn't gone into orbit yet
Old 26 Jun 2003, 23:57 (Ref:644218)   #1419
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Presuming the carbon tubs are intact when supplied here (and there is still no testing facility to prove that either way), a crash in an F3 carbon tub should be safer than one in an aluminium one....
Old 27 Jun 2003, 00:01 (Ref:644222)   #1420
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't/Isn't the lap record held by an open wheeler?

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 27 Jun 2003, 00:05 (Ref:644226)   #1421
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I think it still stands doesnt it, the Supercars last year didnt beat Niel Allen's time....
Old 27 Jun 2003, 00:20 (Ref:644230)   #1422
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mind you they would be a lot quicker sans chase.

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 27 Jun 2003, 05:03 (Ref:644320)   #1423
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
Sierra's (and BMW M3's) raced in the ASTC until the end of 1996 (Peter Hills amaong the Sierra runners). The Ford Sierra's FIA homologation ran out at the end of 1996.
It turns out Peter Hills wasn't the only one, a Kurt Kratzman also raced a Sierra. Anyone know what happened to him or the Sierras after the '96 year?
Old 27 Jun 2003, 05:12 (Ref:644325)   #1424
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Peter Hills owned one of the Brian Bolwell, ex-B&H Sierras, which was converted with a Ford Cosworth 2 litre engine sans turbo, built up by Hills himself. The first year at Bathurst with this car was shared with former Ford stalwart Steve Masterton of Masterton Homes fame. It wasnt a success unfortunately... not sure where that car is now...

The Kurt Kratzmann Data-3 Sierra was an ex-RS500 Cosworth as well, with a similar Ford Cosworth 2 litre engine sans turbo aboard. This was the ex-Ellery ex-GSR car, which GSR converted to 2 litre specs in a reasonably big way for Steve Ellery at the end of the Group A era. This car was run at Bathurst for Ellery and Garry Gosatti at Sandown/Bathurst under the direction of Mike Quinn in the colours of Chelgrave Labour Hire and Tisco... A BMW Supertourer (the Longhurst championship winner) was in Mr Ellery's future however. This car I believe made it into Bob Tweedie's collection
Old 27 Jun 2003, 05:24 (Ref:644331)   #1425
RRR
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, VIC
RRR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
I think it still stands doesnt it, the Supercars last year didnt beat Niel Allen's time....
I'm pretty sure the Ozemail car broke the lap record in the opening stint at Bathurst last year. brad would have been at the wheel. I have to stress though that I am pretty sure ...