Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 1 Feb 2024, 11:23 (Ref:4194550)   #1401
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
No where near enough to fund a drive - maybe a support ride like NAPA or BMW although I hear they charge the most! Also I wouldn't include Watson who clearly covered his PMR ride. Time will tell...
Understood.
Just to take this further then, what is the delta between the funding provided by GS Batteries (Yuasa), LOKRing, Walker Logistics etc. and the amount needed to fund a drive at Speedworks?
Old 1 Feb 2024, 11:54 (Ref:4194553)   #1402
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A little bit. Race Tech magazine is free to read online at the moment, page 19 in the news section has some pre-release info from the recent BTCC fan survey. According to the report 80% of fans agree with the Hybrid introduction being positive. "Almost universal praise" they claim!!

I take it the survey wasn't shared in the BTCC Facebook groups then!! Or was only open to people allowed into the TCOA truck!!

Okay, maybe a little pedantic, but the article and the mag was shared on Twitter by the publisher here:

https://edition.pagesuite-profession...3-dced606a31e0
Old 1 Feb 2024, 12:02 (Ref:4194558)   #1403
MarcusH26
Racer

MarcusH26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Wheels View Post
I seem to recall Excelr8 didn’t want to run more than 4 cars, but would happily supply cars to another team.
That was my understanding of what they said at Silverstone, Tim Harvey jumped the gun when they announced the extension with BSM to mean they were going to run 6 cars themselves.

But a pair of customer i30s I could see being an attractive deal for someone
Old 1 Feb 2024, 12:02 (Ref:4194559)   #1404
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Understood.
Just to take this further then, what is the delta between the funding provided by GS Batteries (Yuasa), LOKRing, Walker Logistics etc. and the amount needed to fund a drive at Speedworks?
As usual I wish I had never posted I think we all know what I am saying
Old 1 Feb 2024, 12:19 (Ref:4194561)   #1405
Ant25
Racer

Ant25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner monkey View Post
With Exceler8 moving to the Dynamics workshop's and maybe running 5 cars could Shedden go there???
Didn’t know that they was moving into dynamics workshop? How long has this been planned if it’s true?
Old 1 Feb 2024, 12:23 (Ref:4194564)   #1406
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post
A little bit. Race Tech magazine is free to read online at the moment, page 19 in the news section has some pre-release info from the recent BTCC fan survey. According to the report 80% of fans agree with the Hybrid introduction being positive. "Almost universal praise" they claim!!

I take it the survey wasn't shared in the BTCC Facebook groups then!! Or was only open to people allowed into the TCOA truck!!

Okay, maybe a little pedantic, but the article and the mag was shared on Twitter by the publisher here:

https://edition.pagesuite-profession...3-dced606a31e0
I struggle to believe that too, it was a similar response last year IIRC. Presumably everyone loves the wonderful option tyres too?

I don’t remember a survey being posted anywhere for this year myself?
Old 1 Feb 2024, 12:56 (Ref:4194569)   #1407
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is 170 miles between the Exceler8 and Dynamics workshops. Seems a strange move, more so as Dynamics use it for their historics and TCR car.
Old 1 Feb 2024, 14:03 (Ref:4194583)   #1408
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yesterday's announcement also firms up a couple of team names:

2024 TBL2024 TeamCarDriverStatus
Excelr8 Motorsport-1Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 Hyundai i30 Fastback N PerformancePearsonConfirmed for 2 years in press release (24&25)
Excelr8 Motorsport-2Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 Hyundai i30 Fastback N PerformanceIngramDiscussed his 2024 aspirations at AI
Excelr8 Motorsport-3Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 Hyundai i30 Fastback N Performance???Title sponsor confirmed
Excelr8 Motorsport-4Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 Hyundai i30 Fastback N Performance???Title sponsor confirmed
Alliance Racing-1NAPA Racing UKFord Focus STSutton Confirmed in Press Release
Alliance Racing -2NAPA Racing UKFord Focus STCammishConfirmed in Press Release
Alliance Racing -3NAPA Racing UKFord Focus STRowbottomConfirmed in AI interview
Alliance Racing -4NAPA Racing UKFord Focus STOsborne? 
West Surrey Racing-1Team BMWBMW 330e M SportTurkingtonDiscussed his 2024 aspirations in interview
West Surrey Racing-2Team BMWBMW 330e M SportMorgan? 
West Surrey Racing-3Team BMWBMW 330e M Sport??? 
West Surrey Racing-4Laser Tools Racing with MB MotorsportBMW 330e M SportHillConfirmed in Press Release
Speedworks Motorsport-1Toyota Gazoo Racing UK Toyota Corolla GR Sport Huff?Team stated they are evaluating
Speedworks Motorsport-2Toyota Gazoo Racing UK Toyota Corolla GR SportGamble / Collard?Team stated they are working on a deal
Speedworks Motorsport-3LKQ Euro Car Parts with SYNETIQToyota Corolla GR SportCookConfirmed in Press Release
Speedworks Motorsport-4LKQ Euro Car Parts with SYNETIQToyota Corolla GR Sport??? 
Power Maxed Racing-1CarStore Power Maxed RacingVauxhall AstraTaylor-SmithConfirmed in Press Release (24&25)
Power Maxed Racing-2CarStore Power Maxed RacingVauxhall AstraDobleConfirmed in Press Release
Power Maxed Racing-3CarStore Power Maxed RacingVauxhall AstraWatson?Scheduled for official BTCC filming
Restart Racing-1Restart RacingCupra León SmileyConfirmed in Press Release
Restart Racing-2Restart RacingCupra León SumptonConfirmed in Press Release
One Motorsport-1One Motorsport?Honda Civic Type R???? 
One Motorsport -2One Motorsport?Honda Civic Type R????? 
One Motorsport -3One Motorsport?Honda Civic Type R???? 
Aiden Moffat Racing-1????????? 
Aiden Moffat Racing-2????????? 
CBM Racing-1????????? 
Other Rumours    
?????????HamiltonSpoke to ITV stating he is working on a deal
?????????ThompsonStated he is confident of being on the grid, and supported by Team Dynamics

Key:
Green/Bold – Confirmed in a press release since the start of 2023 season
Green – Confirmed in a press release prior to 2023 season
Amber – Indicated as happening by comments from official sources
Blue – Rumoured in multiple sources
Old 1 Feb 2024, 14:13 (Ref:4194584)   #1409
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is it out of the question Car Gods/Gamble could pick up a BMW or two? He went well with Cicely, and then potentially a line-up of Gamble/Watson (spitballing here) could be hugely competitive…
Old 1 Feb 2024, 14:17 (Ref:4194586)   #1410
tocatrucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Lane 1 of the A1M
tocatrucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
There is 170 miles between the Exceler8 and Dynamics workshops. Seems a strange move, more so as Dynamics use it for their historics and TCR car.
Indeed, Dynamics is currently rammed full of Lotus Cortina shells and bits, I delivered another one there on Monday.
Old 1 Feb 2024, 14:37 (Ref:4194594)   #1411
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
A little bit. Race Tech magazine is free to read online at the moment, page 19 in the news section has some pre-release info from the recent BTCC fan survey. According to the report 80% of fans agree with the Hybrid introduction being positive. "Almost universal praise" they claim!
That issue is dated April 2023. The story is a summary of the story that BTCC put out in Feb 2023 (https://www.btcc.net/2023/02/10/btcc...recent-survey/)

Mrs Brown's Boys was once voted Britain's best sitcom, so don't take any survey results at face value.
Old 1 Feb 2024, 16:48 (Ref:4194613)   #1412
Ant25
Racer

Ant25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post
Is it out of the question Car Gods/Gamble could pick up a BMW or two? He went well with Cicely, and then potentially a line-up of Gamble/Watson (spitballing here) could be hugely competitive…
Now that would be a competitive line up! Would like to see that happen tbh
Old 1 Feb 2024, 17:06 (Ref:4194615)   #1413
Protonman
Rookie

Protonman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now that the livery is revealed is it too obvious to pencil in Moffatt as cooks team mate . If so one must ask why he also wasn’t named at same time as cook or maybe beforehand. Just to test the water and drawing from previous rumours , can we expect the unexpected . Theirs the rumour of one or two returning stars , how about Sheddon or Plato . JP especially formed a great partnership with Cook and showed him more respect than he is normally known with other team mates . I also wonder why he didn’t follow through on promises of a new beginning in another series. Waiting for a good drive in the BTCC maybe . If that seems a long odds option then perhaps Edwards . Been talking up prospect with more optimism than recent years and a good working relationship with Cook . Also a great commercial prospect given that women can’t seem to buy a chance in the championship . Just look at what’s happened in other sports by having a female profile . She may also surprise a few speed wise , given a car that doesn’t break under her regularly .
Old 1 Feb 2024, 18:01 (Ref:4194625)   #1414
coffinpilot
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
That issue is dated April 2023. The story is a summary of the story that BTCC put out in Feb 2023 (https://www.btcc.net/2023/02/10/btcc...recent-survey/)

Mrs Brown's Boys was once voted Britain's best sitcom, so don't take any survey results at face value.
Didn't spot that! Time for Specsavers (Vision Express costs too much on the old goggles!)
Old 1 Feb 2024, 18:27 (Ref:4194628)   #1415
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protonman View Post
Now that the livery is revealed is it too obvious to pencil in Moffatt as cooks team mate . If so one must ask why he also wasn’t named at same time as cook or maybe beforehand. Just to test the water and drawing from previous rumours , can we expect the unexpected . Theirs the rumour of one or two returning stars , how about Sheddon or Plato . JP especially formed a great partnership with Cook and showed him more respect than he is normally known with other team mates . I also wonder why he didn’t follow through on promises of a new beginning in another series. Waiting for a good drive in the BTCC maybe . If that seems a long odds option then perhaps Edwards . Been talking up prospect with more optimism than recent years and a good working relationship with Cook . Also a great commercial prospect given that women can’t seem to buy a chance in the championship . Just look at what’s happened in other sports by having a female profile . She may also surprise a few speed wise , given a car that doesn’t break under her regularly .
Honestly I really can't see any special value that Plato could bring as a driver. I know it's an unpopular opinion but the guy's almost 60, had his time and his last seasons showed he'd just go around in circles finishing most races somewhere between 8-15th place. Yeah, he's a great name, some time ago had a talent to bring good sponsors but IMO he belongs to the championship's past now whether we like it or not.
Shedden seems like he has some unfinished business in the BTCC, that's true and didn't fare badly in his last two seasons but - again unpopular opinion - I kind of don't miss him either.
As for Edwards, no matter the car, she's proved she's more of a Hamilton/Halstead league, just doesn't end up in gravel traps as often as the mentioned duo. Arguably racing for BTC Racing was her chance to prove she's better than that but failed to deliver. She's likeable and I wish her all the best but IMO she's overhyped.
Old 1 Feb 2024, 18:58 (Ref:4194632)   #1416
InYourMirrors45
Racer

InYourMirrors45 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Honestly I really can't see any special value that Plato could bring as a driver. I know it's an unpopular opinion but the guy's almost 60, had his time and his last seasons showed he'd just go around in circles finishing most races somewhere between 8-15th place. Yeah, he's a great name, some time ago had a talent to bring good sponsors but IMO he belongs to the championship's past now whether we like it or not.
Shedden seems like he has some unfinished business in the BTCC, that's true and didn't fare badly in his last two seasons but - again unpopular opinion - I kind of don't miss him either.
As for Edwards, no matter the car, she's proved she's more of a Hamilton/Halstead league, just doesn't end up in gravel traps as often as the mentioned duo. Arguably racing for BTC Racing was her chance to prove she's better than that but failed to deliver. She's likeable and I wish her all the best but IMO she's overhyped.
Agree with this, Plato won 2 races in his last 5 seasons. A legend of the championship and someone who I’ll always miss but reality is nothing last forever and age catches up with everyone at some point. Shedden for me went off the boil post WTCC and whilst he’d still be a top driver I’m not sure he has another title in him. We should be focusing on keeping the likes of Sutton, Ingram, Cook, Hill, Cammish in the series long term.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 1 Feb 2024 at 19:11.
Old 1 Feb 2024, 19:41 (Ref:4194644)   #1417
Protonman
Rookie

Protonman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourMirrors45 View Post
Agree with this, Plato won 2 races in his last 5 seasons. A legend of the championship and someone who I’ll always miss but reality is nothing last forever and age catches up with everyone at some point. Shedden for me went off the boil post WTCC and whilst he’d still be a top driver I’m not sure he has another title in him. We should be focusing on keeping the likes of Sutton, Ingram, Cook, Hill, Cammish in the series long term.
Yep totally agree and great all the above now have secure drives in which they can challenge for title honours . Just wondering if commercially in may benefit by a shock unexpected announcement . Was it Alan Gow hyping up the series by saying we were to expect the return on 2 ex drivers who could stir up the top names . Sheddon Plato and possibly Huff are the only ones I could think of who may have the commercial appeal . Nothing against Aidan Moffatt but he doesn’t turn heads and has never achieved what he first promised as a young rookie . I hope Watson gets a good drive but probably see him continue at PMR , would like to see Hand get the chance given he has battled and matched Sutton in junior series . Likewise would love for Edwards to have a true shot and see what she can do . Even at a good Indy team like BTC (as was) they were struggling with lack of budget and stretching it by fielding 3 cars .
Old 1 Feb 2024, 19:45 (Ref:4194645)   #1418
coffinpilot
Racer

Quote:
Also a great commercial prospect given that women can’t seem to buy a chance in the championship . Just look at what’s happened in other sports by having a female profile . She may also surprise a few speed wise , given a car that doesn’t break under her regularly .
I'd rather see Jess Hawkins have a go. The W Series experience of working at a high level added to the TCR experience wouldn't be wasted if she got another shot at the BTCC, but I don't think there'd be any wins in the tank, but with drivers coming through the ranks I'd put a bet on that the BTCC gets ahead of F1/NASCAR/Supercars in having a female race winner.
Old 1 Feb 2024, 19:54 (Ref:4194650)   #1419
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I'd rather see Jess Hawkins have a go. The W Series experience of working at a high level added to the TCR experience wouldn't be wasted if she got another shot at the BTCC, but I don't think there'd be any wins in the tank, but with drivers coming through the ranks I'd put a bet on that the BTCC gets ahead of F1/NASCAR/Supercars in having a female race winner.
It'd never happen, but imagine Simona de Silvestro in a BTCC car. Y'know, the same Simona who's had 3 full seasons in Supercars plus a bunch of enduro co-driver places...
Old 1 Feb 2024, 21:17 (Ref:4194665)   #1420
ACF_
Racer

ACF_ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I completely agree
Old 1 Feb 2024, 23:28 (Ref:4194682)   #1421
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Yep totally agree and great all the above now have secure drives in which they can challenge for title honours . Just wondering if commercially in may benefit by a shock unexpected announcement . Was it Alan Gow hyping up the series by saying we were to expect the return on 2 ex drivers who could stir up the top names . Sheddon Plato and possibly Huff are the only ones I could think of who may have the commercial appeal . Nothing against Aidan Moffatt but he doesn’t turn heads and has never achieved what he first promised as a young rookie . I hope Watson gets a good drive but probably see him continue at PMR , would like to see Hand get the chance given he has battled and matched Sutton in junior series . Likewise would love for Edwards to have a true shot and see what she can do . Even at a good Indy team like BTC (as was) they were struggling with lack of budget and stretching it by fielding 3 cars .
Don’t forget Andy Neate
Old 2 Feb 2024, 07:52 (Ref:4194713)   #1422
ACF_
Racer

ACF_ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Don’t forget Andy Neate
I noticed that Senna Proctor posted on his Instagram at the end of last season about making plans for a return. Also, in Mat Jackson was due to return to the championship in 2020 with PMR, but COVID put a stop to it. Could he be going back to PMR in place of Watson, who I guess will then go to WSR or maybe Speedworks?

Last edited by ACF_; 2 Feb 2024 at 07:58.
Old 2 Feb 2024, 08:11 (Ref:4194715)   #1423
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACF_ View Post
I noticed that Senna Proctor posted on his Instagram at the end of last season about making plans for a return. Also, in Mat Jackson was due to return to the championship in 2020 with PMR, but COVID put a stop to it. Could he be going back to PMR in place of Watson, who I guess will then go to WSR or maybe Speedworks?
I don’t think we’ll see Matt Jackson back. When he tested for PMR at Media day before pulling out for the season, he was shocked at how the pace had moved on. Him and Plato were throwing fresh tyres at the car & trying to get a decent time and struggled to get into the top ten.
Old 2 Feb 2024, 08:13 (Ref:4194717)   #1424
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACF_ View Post
Ash Hand was only supposed to be sitting out 2023, but no noise from him about coming back at PMR.

Proctor I could see back at One, especially with Cook gone, they need a decent driver there.
Old 2 Feb 2024, 09:10 (Ref:4194724)   #1425
Millvi
Racer

Millvi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiiiiiim View Post
Ash Hand was only supposed to be sitting out 2023, but no noise from him about coming back at PMR.

Proctor I could see back at One, especially with Cook gone, they need a decent driver there.
Ash Hand would be a strong Jack Sears contender for someone like One Motorsport.

Proctor and Gamble for One Motorsport with Car Gods perhaps. "Proctor & Gamble" does have a familiar ring to it does it not?

And I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Dudman revert back to the TOCA engined version of the Civic that Proctor did so well in last time out. After the revitalisation of the PMR Astra last year why not the same upward shift in performance from the Civic?

So 2 decent drivers and a strong Jack Sears contender? Like others I think Jade Edwards has had a fair crack at it and there's better options out there in my opinion.