Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 13 Nov 2009, 19:27 (Ref:2581542)   #1401
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
However, he said before that he just wants a winning car.
Old 13 Nov 2009, 19:30 (Ref:2581544)   #1402
kartracer41
Racer

United States
Michigan, USA
kartracer41 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
He's specifically said it's McLaren or nothing. So if McLaren don't want him, he's finished
He said that after Red Bull had already signed it's drivers for 2010. Now it appears that Vettel might not be sticking around. Kimi may very well be considering his other options. He said he wanted to drive for a team that could potentially win the championship. At the time, it appeared that McLaren was the only team with an available seat that fit that description. Now things are different. And if Mercedes joins forces with Brawn, I retract my previous statements about Brawn not being a title contender next year. They would have a bit more of a chance with Mercedes backing.
Old 13 Nov 2009, 19:33 (Ref:2581545)   #1403
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartracer41 View Post
Now it appears that Vettel might not be sticking around.
Does it? I've heard absolutely nothing that he isn't. Not even from the rumour merchants of GMM. Red Bull are sticking with their line-up. Vettel is sticking with them. Raikkonen is not going there. It was nonsense
Old 13 Nov 2009, 20:34 (Ref:2581574)   #1404
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will be a real shame to see Kimi out of F1. Some question his dedication, but personally, seeing how Massa struggled with similar results, Badoer and Fisi showed just how bad the car was...i haev no problem believing he is trying as hard as ever.

I cant see Renault or anyone else picking him up...and frankly i think Buttons team is playing a dangerous game as it will a career ending move driving alongside Hamilton (IMO)
Old 13 Nov 2009, 20:39 (Ref:2581577)   #1405
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The Glock/Manor thing isn't new. His manager said a couple of weeks ago he was choosing between Renault and Manor
Indeed, I understood that there's always been 3 main options, these last few weeks, Manor along with maybe another new team initially being fall back options after Renault.

But now......

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuk View Post
I can see why brawn are dragging there heels over signing button, once redbull had closed the gap to brawn button limped to the wdc but rubens in the same car was just getting going.
The only reason I could see them 'dragging' their heels over re-signing a guy who gave them their first title and giving him a fairly modest pay rise is that they aren't going to be the main decision makers from now on......

However, if I were Ross I would be careful about ceding too much power over his team even if the new investors can bring a lot of money and techincal support to keep the team at the front.

Merc has the best engines now maybe but these things have a nasty habit of changing rapidly!

Unless an Alonso, Hamilton or maybe Vettel is available it would be pretty daft to tee off your main driver regardless of what Merc may want!!

Maybe Hamilton will be joining Rosberg at Brawn with Button going the other way....

Stranger things have happened?
Old 13 Nov 2009, 21:35 (Ref:2581611)   #1406
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Quote:
Does it? I've heard absolutely nothing that he isn't. Not even from the rumour merchants of GMM. Red Bull are sticking with their line-up. Vettel is sticking with them. Raikkonen is not going there. It was nonsense
I think it's nonsense to think that Kimi won't be in F1. You telling me every team in F1 competing in 2010 would say "no" to a past champion?
Old 13 Nov 2009, 21:37 (Ref:2581612)   #1407
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
I think it's nonsense to think that Kimi won't be in F1. You telling me every team in F1 competing in 2010 would say "no" to a past champion?
It doesn't matter what the other teams think if he doesn't want to drive for them. If it's McLaren or no one, the other teams are irrelevant. Thinking otherwise at this stage is clutching at straws as we can only go by what the man himself has said

There have been rumours for months that he's interested in going rallying instead of racing in F1. Sometimes the first rumours turn out to be the correct ones. Plus he gets more money from Ferrari if he can't find another F1 drive

The other teams don't need Raikkonen. He's just not that good that another team would just make room for him. Your insinuations that Red Bull would sign him are ridiculous - why would they drop 2 very talented consistent race-winning drivers for an arrogant, lazy, unpredictable, eratic party animal? It doesn't make sense. The only other team that would sign him is Brawn and I doubt he'll go there - they've had discussions before which have seemingly come to zilch, and they won't even offer Button what he wants and he won the world title with them

Last edited by jab; 13 Nov 2009 at 21:43.
Old 13 Nov 2009, 22:18 (Ref:2581622)   #1408
Racenut7
Veteran

Racenut7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no, they will say no to $10m past champion
My Favourite 08 moment was when Courtney/Besnard comeback drive at Bathurst. Courtney raced through to dominate the opening stint had 15 sec. gap to Lowndes who was in 2nd. In the 2nd stint a slowly deflating tyre (originally diagnosed as a damaged anti-roll bar) slowed Besnard's stint in Courtney's car allowing Whincup to assert dominance over the field rest of the race. On lap 160 S.Richards, fading badly on rear tyres was unable to stop Courtney move into 3rd place.
Old 13 Nov 2009, 22:33 (Ref:2581630)   #1409
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't believe the Button story for a second. Jenson is a smart guy and he knows he would be a fool to go to Lewis' team.

As for Kimi I can't see McLaren agreeing to his wage demands or the freedom he wants to do rallies during the season. And Kimi isn't going to consider another team. Maybe Renault but I doubt it. I don't think he will be in F1 next year

I can't help but think that with these rumours of various high-profile visitors to the McLaren technology centre that someone like Heidfeld, Sutil or Glock has already been in and signed a contract for next year!
Old 13 Nov 2009, 22:35 (Ref:2581632)   #1410
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Geez jab, not much love for Kimi
Old 13 Nov 2009, 22:51 (Ref:2581638)   #1411
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt
I don't believe the Button story for a second. Jenson is a smart guy and he knows he would be a fool to go to Lewis' team.
That's allegedly why they want him to come in - to put Anthony Hamilton back in his place (and implying to put Lewis back in his place as well, I should think)

I think at a stage like this, Jenson may now be thinking, in the euphoria of his title win, that he could take on anyone. Plus there's the money factor and that McLaren will be more likely to produce a race-winning/title-challenging car next year than Brawn. As for the validity of the story, Alan Henry's a reliable, well-respected journo. I should think Button has definitely been to the MTC at least. The rest might just be speculation - Alonso visited Brackley last year, for instance, but didn't lead to anything (unfortunately for him, I guess)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_HCR32 View Post
Geez jab, not much love for Kimi
Don't get me wrong, I do like the guy, he's a very talented driver, and it'll be a real shame if he's not around next year. But he's overrated. Some people seem to think he's an all-time great but his recent record speaks otherwise
Old 13 Nov 2009, 23:31 (Ref:2581646)   #1412
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

I think Kimi is very talented driver and motivated. His shortfall is he turns up and drives...he doesnt seem to be the guy that wants to the nucleus of a team and get the car to his liking. It seems the Ferrari is a bit of a pig and the last two years has been a bit of a tempermental thing to steer, and his feedback has to be part of the reason for that situation
Old 14 Nov 2009, 00:42 (Ref:2581663)   #1413
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Maybe he isn't interested in the media, but the media is certainly interested in him. He's a former world champion and probably in the top 3 most popular drivers on the grid (certainly the best F1 driver in the internet). He's guaranteed positive publicity for anyone who signs him.
Quote:
The other teams don't need Raikkonen. He's just not that good that another team would just make room for him. Your insinuations that Red Bull would sign him are ridiculous - why would they drop 2 very talented consistent race-winning drivers for an arrogant, lazy, unpredictable, erratic party animal? It doesn't make sense. The only other team that would sign him is Brawn and I doubt he'll go there - they've had discussions before which have seemingly come to zilch, and they won't even offer Button what he wants and he won the world title with them.
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I do like the guy, he's a very talented driver, and it'll be a real shame if he's not around next year. But he's overrated. Some people seem to think he's an all-time great but his recent record speaks otherwise.
That's an interesting set of quotes. Personally, I'd rather see about half the grid disappear instead of Kimi, but that's just my opinion.
Old 14 Nov 2009, 02:13 (Ref:2581686)   #1414
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Certainly with half the drivers on the grid it would be less noticeable that they were missing than Kimi.
But, I also thought that about Schumi and I have to be honest, I haven't missed him as much as most people seem to.
Old 14 Nov 2009, 02:31 (Ref:2581688)   #1415
kartracer41
Racer

United States
Michigan, USA
kartracer41 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
That's an interesting set of quotes. Personally, I'd rather see about half the grid disappear instead of Kimi, but that's just my opinion.
I agree with that much more than others opinions.
Old 14 Nov 2009, 11:58 (Ref:2581824)   #1416
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Quote:
The other teams don't need Raikkonen. He's just not that good that another team would just make room for him. Your insinuations that Red Bull would sign him are ridiculous - why would they drop 2 very talented consistent race-winning drivers for an arrogant, lazy, unpredictable, eratic party animal? It doesn't make sense. The only other team that would sign him is Brawn and I doubt he'll go there - they've had discussions before which have seemingly come to zilch, and they won't even offer Button what he wants and he won the world title with them
Well, the facts are this: Kimi is a past champion. Vettel and Webber are not.
Old 14 Nov 2009, 12:13 (Ref:2581831)   #1417
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Duly noted, but past could be quite a relevant term here.
Old 14 Nov 2009, 12:19 (Ref:2581835)   #1418
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Quote:
Jacques Villeneuve is a former world champion too but I don't see any of the big teams making any moves to sign him
Old 14 Nov 2009, 12:22 (Ref:2581837)   #1419
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Jacques Villeneuve is a former world champion too but I don't see any of the big teams making any moves to sign him
At least Kimi shaves

I guess if this is the logic, when will we see talk of Nigel Mansell being approached... Oh that's right he's too fat to fit in the car
Old 14 Nov 2009, 12:31 (Ref:2581840)   #1420
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I agree, Raikkonen is a very good driver but for me personally he isnt and never will be a all time great, he just doesent fit into the same caegory as the likes of Schumacher, Senna, Prost IMO. That said, there arent many drivers that do, certainly not on the current F1 grid perhaps with the exception of Hamilton and Vettel one day, Button is a very good driver, how good remains to be seen though IMO, yes he has won a WDC but he was very fortunate to be in the right place at the right time in a dominant car for the start of the season.

Will Button make the switch to McLaren? Well if I were Button and I got offered a seat at McLaren wth equal status to Hamilton then I have to say I would have to think quite hard to find a reason not to make the switch from Brawn. Brawn had a great season this year, particularly as it was there debut year, can they repeat it next year? Somehow I doubt it, they will still be near the front but I dont think they will be the team to beat again in 2010.
Old 14 Nov 2009, 12:45 (Ref:2581845)   #1421
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R View Post
yes he has won a WDC but he was very fortunate to be in the right place at the right time in a dominant car for the start of the season.
Driver in dominant car wins WDC shock horror.

This happens a lot.

No one ever won an F1 championship in a Minardi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R View Post
Somehow I doubt it, they will still be near the front but I dont think they will be the team to beat again in 2010.
McLaren managed to make a silk purse out of a sows ear this season, and if they manage to get off to a flyer next season.......
Old 14 Nov 2009, 13:41 (Ref:2581872)   #1422
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
No one ever won an F1 championship in a Minardi.
Ah... the dream.
Old 14 Nov 2009, 13:42 (Ref:2581873)   #1423
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Fauzy unlikely to be considered for 2010 Lotus drive.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80156
Old 14 Nov 2009, 13:50 (Ref:2581876)   #1424
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
I'm sure everyone's going to be absolutely devastated about that one...
Old 14 Nov 2009, 14:00 (Ref:2581878)   #1425
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
I'm sure everyone's going to be absolutely devastated about that one...
Well, at least we know that there's a better chance of a more experienced driver getting that seat.
Closed Thread