Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 11 Jun 2013, 22:24 (Ref:3261166)   #1451
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry Ricardo I do have an old rolls Royce coming to workshop I can ask for you we all chipped in when my son and daughter had their prom night and got them a limo blooming kids cost a fortune all I had from school when I left was a letter from the head master got expelled happy days
Old 12 Jun 2013, 06:49 (Ref:3261287)   #1452
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
That makes two of us Iain !
Old 12 Jun 2013, 07:13 (Ref:3261300)   #1453
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
At least you got a souvenir of your time at school guys! I hope you kept the letters with pride
Old 12 Jun 2013, 07:25 (Ref:3261304)   #1454
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Back to oil

What does an Accusump do?

When we ran a V8 Rover we stuck on an oil cooler because "it was the thing to do" and the oil pressure dropped substantially. Makes me wonder whether it was the best thing, we should have tried it without but we listened to "perceived wisdom". Maybe it was a mistake but thankfully we sold the car before the engine failed!
Old 12 Jun 2013, 08:39 (Ref:3261332)   #1455
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Its a pressurised cylinnder set at around 15psi with a shrader type valve at the end, its connected to a take off plate on the engine so when the engine fires up and pressurises over 15psi the cylinder fills with oil. You can shut a valve off either automatically or manually when you shut down engine and crack it open before you fire up to pre lube. However its primary function is if the oil pickup pulls in air in a tight bend or low oil scenario and the oil pressure dips the cylinder of oil will immediately be fired back into the engine to lube the crank. You have to be careful how you plumb in because it is possible the oil can be sent down to the empty oil pump having the opposite effect so you need to plumb a one way valve into the system, all explained on UK stockiest Think Automotives site but dont tell them what I wrote about oil coolers The oil pressure on the chevy also dropped substantially with a cooler fitted.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 10:21 (Ref:3261370)   #1456
midgetman
Veteran

Ah, a constant-pressure device.

If you fit a temperature operated valve in the cooler line, at least you're keeping the pressure up in the early stages of engine run-up when low pressure can do its worst. We never did that of course, all too much expense when there was beer to be bought with the budget.

My friends with race ZRs don't run oil coolers and don't seem to have any problem, perhaps modern engines and oils are reducing the need for them. MGD didn't run one on the Monty or the 924 for the 6 hours and neither showed any drop in oil pressure during the race AFAIK.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 10:57 (Ref:3261400)   #1457
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Well I do run all my engines with roller followers and rockers and I do know that they are the two biggist heat generators on a standard flat tappet cam and ball type rockers so maybe this has a bearing on things as well because I have read that with a flat tappet cam and ball rockers you really need an older style ash based oil but then I have also read this seems only to be required when running in the cam for 20 minutes at a constant 2000 rpm and after that you are ok to run the fully synthetics. I would also say anything with a turbo attached would require an oil cooler and on a traditional Mini with integeral gearbox would also probably be a good idea. I have also read too cold an oil is more of an engine killer than hot.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 11:39 (Ref:3261439)   #1458
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Well we are down in our palace after being delayed for a couple of hours sitting on the tarmac at Gatwick.
Good old Froggies !!!!
30c blue sky
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 12 Jun 2013, 12:05 (Ref:3261460)   #1459
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
13 degrees, wet and grey sky.
Frogs are hanging out by the pond
Old 12 Jun 2013, 12:39 (Ref:3261494)   #1460
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Bloody cold in Harrow Weald I cannot believe it summer.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 12:42 (Ref:3261496)   #1461
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Ah, a constant-pressure device.

If you fit a temperature operated valve in the cooler line, at least you're keeping the pressure up in the early stages of engine run-up when low pressure can do its worst. We never did that of course, all too much expense when there was beer to be bought with the budget.

My friends with race ZRs don't run oil coolers and don't seem to have any problem, perhaps modern engines and oils are reducing the need for them. MGD didn't run one on the Monty or the 924 for the 6 hours and neither showed any drop in oil pressure during the race AFAIK.

I think a lot depends on the oil used Max. Years ago we helped Millers develop their then new Sport 20/50. It ended up with tractor gearbox additives in it. The cam would just about do a season before it needed replacing. Then swapped over to Motul Enduro,and stayed with it after the end of season strip down revealed the cam to be as new as it was at the start! Always ran an oil cooler,sometimes blanked off,oil temp being as important as anything else. Usually temp would be around 105 degrees,perfect!
Old 12 Jun 2013, 13:47 (Ref:3261548)   #1462
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I used to use one of these when we ran mineral oil years ago but I dont know how reliable they are.
Attached Thumbnails
OIL TH.jpg  
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 12 Jun 2013, 14:04 (Ref:3261564)   #1463
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Sorry about the weather !
Attached Thumbnails
1 s.jpg  
Old 12 Jun 2013, 15:51 (Ref:3261607)   #1464
midgetman
Veteran

I reckon that's a stock photo, it seems to get trotted out an awful lot. Probably a holiday snap from a few years back, you're really in a pokey flat in Brighton in the rain........
Old 12 Jun 2013, 16:42 (Ref:3261630)   #1465
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I reckon that's a stock photo, it seems to get trotted out an awful lot. Probably a holiday snap from a few years back, you're really in a pokey flat in Brighton in the rain........
Damn I've been sussed out, but please not Brighton ! OK sailor
Old 13 Jun 2013, 06:53 (Ref:3261933)   #1466
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
A friend saw this en route to the Euro Lambretta rally in Avignon . . very good I thought.
Attached Thumbnails
nout in car.jpg  
Old 13 Jun 2013, 10:34 (Ref:3262036)   #1467
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Damn I've been sussed out, but please not Brighton ! OK sailor
I went to Brighton a couple of months ago, plenty of parking spaces, parked in the correct bay, got my pay and display ticket, went off and had a most miserable lunch in a very second rate place, returned to car to a parking ticket,inspected and found as I had close the door the ticket had blown down onto the seat, still face up but not in screen, will not be returning to gaysville in a hurry.
I have a two and half year old grandson, didn't realise Murray Walker still commentated on motor races, and has fights with Rory the racing cars chief mechanic plus my fitter David informs me that Stirling Moss still races in the Rory series, has the episode with Stirling in it and will let me have it, just thought you all would like to know.
Looking out, think its better to stay in and view children's TV than going out.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 13 Jun 2013, 11:44 (Ref:3262082)   #1468
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Falce View Post
, will not be returning to gaysville in a hurry.
Hmmmmm, I could post a few answers to that line but I'll desist.
Old 13 Jun 2013, 13:55 (Ref:3262139)   #1469
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
A friend saw this en route to the Euro Lambretta rally in Avignon . . very good I thought.
Love it!
Old 13 Jun 2013, 16:44 (Ref:3262202)   #1470
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Falce View Post
I went to Brighton a couple of months ago, plenty of parking spaces, parked in the correct bay, got my pay and display ticket, went off and had a most miserable lunch in a very second rate place, returned to car to a parking ticket,inspected and found as I had close the door the ticket had blown down onto the seat, still face up but not in screen, will not be returning to gaysville in a hurry.
If you were the traffic warden would you have bent over to take a closer look??
Old 13 Jun 2013, 17:37 (Ref:3262222)   #1471
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn Slater View Post
If you were the traffic warden would you have bent over to take a closer look??
I get it now, when Eric told me he'd been shafted by a warden in Brighton the other day I didn't think he meant it literally.
Old 13 Jun 2013, 18:34 (Ref:3262243)   #1472
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does any of this have anything to do with the gay racing driver who caught his mate on the bend?
Old 14 Jun 2013, 06:34 (Ref:3262457)   #1473
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Have I accidentally logged onto pistonheads?
Old 14 Jun 2013, 07:26 (Ref:3262475)   #1474
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is what pistonheads would have been like in 1973.
Old 14 Jun 2013, 07:55 (Ref:3262490)   #1475
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
I decided to hire a Pug 208 while I am getting away from all that lovely weather in the UK after seeing this advert, it reminds me of my "yoof"
You need to waste a bit of time on watching it but at the moment it's fine for me !
http://www.208.peugeot.co.uk/
Closed Thread