Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Jan 2005, 21:08 (Ref:1201745)   #126
agwiii
Racer

United States
Paradise
agwiii should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A good list. I particularly like your 'honorable mentions,' and echo your thoughts about Mansell.
Old 16 Jan 2005, 06:40 (Ref:1202007)   #127
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was fortunate to receive the Jackie Stewart video for Christmas. watching that just brought back so many memories not only of Stewart himself but Hill and the others of that era.

When Graham stands up to award Stewart another trophy, his class is apparent. Couple that with his racing abilities and you see why I put him at the top of my list.

Just a damned fine bloke.
Old 16 Jan 2005, 14:02 (Ref:1202219)   #128
The Moon Monkey
Racer

Ireland
The Temples of Syrinx
The Moon Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why has history not been kind to Nigel Mansell?
Old 16 Jan 2005, 14:12 (Ref:1202227)   #129
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
History has been a lot kinder to Nigel Mansell than a lot of people were at the time
Old 17 Jan 2005, 13:23 (Ref:1202962)   #130
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moon Monkey
why has history not been kind to Nigel Mansell?
I think it comes down to two main reasons:
1. The Mansellmania thing did attract certain 'unusual' elements to F1 racing for a brief time and some people didn't like it or, therefore, Nige.
2. Mansell often said daft things outside the car and didn't endear himself to some of those he worked with. Not being gracious about how good the FW14 was, for example, is quite a contrast to how Schuey always thanks everyone at Ferrari.

My opinion is that he was a flawed human being (aren't we all!), but a great racing driver.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 13:51 (Ref:1202976)   #131
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's a bit harsh. I wouldn't say he's a flawed human being. I know quite alot of brummies and they're all like that...

I haven't seen nearly enough footage of the great British drivers of eras past. Of those I have seen, 80s ish onwards, Nige and Damon stand a little higher than Brundle and Coulthard, and Button has the potential to at least match them. But are any of them quite in the same league as Clark, Moss, Stewart, Surtees or Hill snr?
Old 17 Jan 2005, 13:51 (Ref:1202977)   #132
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ooh, saw a documentary of Grand Prix racing in the 30's-40's-50's-60's!
First time I ever saw drivers like Seaman, Hawthorn, Moss, Collins and many others at work...
Very impressive to watch...

Btw, what are those certain 'unusual' elements about then?
Old 17 Jan 2005, 16:33 (Ref:1203076)   #133
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think KRT is referring to those followers who climbed on the patriotic band wagon in supporting Mansell and who behaved in ways more reminiscent of certain less desirable elements of our British football fans. I bet few of those were or are true motor racing fans.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 13:36 (Ref:1204690)   #134
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, without sounding too snobby, that is what I meant. That's not to say that all Mansell fans were like that (I'd count myself as one), but he did seem to attract people that weren't so much interested in motor racing as seeing a brit win and being able to shout things (or put banners up) deriding other drivers, especially Senna.

A pre-war list ought to include Tim Birkin and, maybe, Brian Lewis, though neither were in Seaman's league.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 22:53 (Ref:1205161)   #135
Jaxs
Racer

Jaxs has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Tee hee, Goodyear tyres paid umpteen thousands of pounds for Jackie Stewart to practice on circuits before the GPs.... fact of life. .... Once you have practiced and practiced the weather becomes secondary.

And that was confirmed by BE right hand man of the day.

Winning the German GP, check out Jimmy Clarks times against the also runs .....

A question for all the avid F1 fans, Did Jackie Stewart ever race against Jimmy Clark?

Last edited by Jaxs; 19 Jan 2005 at 22:54.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 00:58 (Ref:1205204)   #136
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
clark and stewart raced in f1 from 65 through to the 68 south african gp, and countless other times in non championship f1 races, tasman races and the indy 500 just of the top of my head.
you can't really compare them though, clark was at his peak and stewart was still learning (very quickly).
Old 20 Jan 2005, 05:24 (Ref:1205294)   #137
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They also shared an apartment for a while.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 13:25 (Ref:1205600)   #138
krt917
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs
Tee hee, Goodyear tyres paid umpteen thousands of pounds for Jackie Stewart to practice on circuits before the GPs.... fact of life. .... Once you have practiced and practiced the weather becomes secondary.
Well, Stewart was quick when he first jumped into a racing car. He was immediately quicker than Bruce McLaren in his first test with Ken Tyrrell, gave Graham Hill a nervous time in '65 in his first F1 season, and almost won the Indy 500 at his first attempt. He was also rather good at Monaco which is rather difficult to practice on (in any meaningful way) during the year.

How much testing Stewart did compared to his contemporaries I don't know, but it sounds a bit like being professional to me - practice when you can to find an advantage - and he would have been a great anyway.

I could practice for a million years, but I still wouldn't be as quick as Schuey in an F1 car.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 13:54 (Ref:1205616)   #139
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I could practice for a million years and I still wouldn't be as quick as Alex Yoong in an F1 car...

...and that's on my PS2!

Last edited by garcon; 20 Jan 2005 at 13:58. Reason: reality check!
Old 21 Jan 2005, 12:59 (Ref:1206347)   #140
krt917
Veteran

Last edited by krt917; 21 Jan 2005 at 13:00.