Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 9 Mar 2010, 18:40 (Ref:2648406)   #126
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2 pages later, to cmk, what Acid09, Horndawg and Andy were saying was what I tried to say but it didn't come out right. Schnitzer is basically BMW's equivalent of AMG Mercedes and Joest Audi. To compare with Audi, you have the Rosberg and Phoenix teams. I think RLR is more like those than they are Joest.
If RLR didn't have BMW backing for the bid it's because BMW wanted to take their main works team. Nothing against that. Just hope they use RLR's knowledge of the car in racing conditions (no doubt Schnitzer has all the technical knowledge since, as mentioned by others, they developed the car initially) as well as drivers.

The Lola Aston Martin without colors looks very strange (Signature one).

Less then 2 weeks to Sebring!
Old 9 Mar 2010, 18:58 (Ref:2648421)   #127
merlot brougham
Racer

United States
Chapel Hill
merlot brougham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmerlot brougham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
RLR didn't develop the new M3, Schnitzer did.

They did all the testing before the car even was first shipped to the US. And the sole reason Schnitzer wasn't choosen to run the car in the US it that they were busy with WTCC last year, this year they aren't.
That's not completely true because RLR was chosen to field a car for BMW as early as 2007. They ran part of that year in a Porsche just to gain the experience for the upcoming BMW effort. So they knew they would be running for BMW as early as then.

If Schnitzer did the "development" they sure did an ass job because it took several races for the M3s to become competitive. Schnitzer only did shake downs and very, very initial development. They only had the car for a couple of months before it was shipped off to the US anyway.
Regardless, unless you or I have a direct line to BMW Motorsport, Schnitzer and RLR we won't get this sorted out and we are only arguing about semantics anyway. No matter, BMW is at Le Mans again and that makes me a happy man.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 19:36 (Ref:2648449)   #128
ubrben
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
ubrben has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
A note on BMW homologation. Three key bulletins available on IMSA's websute:

Original bulletin saying that it ran to ACO specs:

http://www.imsaracing.net/2009/alms/...ms%2009-03.pdf

Weight break post Sebring:

http://www.imsaracing.net/2009/alms/...ms%2009-09.pdf

Post Long Beach. Weight added back and restrictor break:

http://www.imsaracing.net/2009/alms/...ms%2009-11.pdf

Ben
Old 9 Mar 2010, 19:48 (Ref:2648464)   #129
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
westernmost District of Germany
lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage arnie View Post
And hopefully the same glorious engine note
This is not a Engine it is a Music Machine

http://s6b.directupload.net/file/d/2093/do6zq9pg_jpg
Old 9 Mar 2010, 23:22 (Ref:2648595)   #130
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlot brougham View Post
No matter, BMW is at Le Mans again and that makes me a happy man.
You´re absolutely right, I agree.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 23:41 (Ref:2648603)   #131
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
Ok.........

Was the BMW an LMS spec car or the test car?
Not the LMS car ;-)
Old 9 Mar 2010, 23:42 (Ref:2648606)   #132
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh and the Signature Plus car was not used in competition by Aston Martin Racing in 2009.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 00:22 (Ref:2648618)   #133
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Huh? I thought they ran every chassis they had, including the Monza rebuild...
Old 10 Mar 2010, 05:57 (Ref:2648686)   #134
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Not the LMS car ;-)
Interesting. LMS/Le Mans cars not yet ready due to relatively recent homologation........and there's only one test car, which is why they had to pack up and go home?
Old 10 Mar 2010, 05:58 (Ref:2648687)   #135
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Oh and the Signature Plus car was not used in competition by Aston Martin Racing in 2009.
Yes, I read that on DSC. I think we were all under the impression there was no 'spare'.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 10:18 (Ref:2648782)   #136
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r View Post
Who's to say Westbrook wont still be with JMW for Le Mans, he wont be with Prospeed for Le Mans they have already announced there lineup and it is all paying gentlemen drivers.

Can't see the works AM team having a Porsche competitor from the LMS series in their car for the 24, anyway I am sure Porsche will find him a ride for that race.

The question remains however for JMW, not many top guys available for June?
Old 10 Mar 2010, 10:28 (Ref:2648790)   #137
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
Personally, I'd like to see Jamie Campbell-Walter given a competitive GT drive. There are few better than him once the sun sets at Le Mans!
Old 10 Mar 2010, 10:36 (Ref:2648793)   #138
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I guess they must have bought a spare tub from Lola at some point, after they'd bent 2 before?
News to me, whatever.

Wasn't there a whole thread around this subject, 6 months back???
Old 10 Mar 2010, 10:37 (Ref:2648794)   #139
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Rob Bell, Tim Sugden, JC-W? There's a joke in there somewhere!
Old 10 Mar 2010, 11:25 (Ref:2648830)   #140
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Can't see the works AM team having a Porsche competitor from the LMS series in their car for the 24
It's no different to Peugeot having Barbham last year for Le Mans while he was a works Acura driver.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 23:33 (Ref:2649262)   #141
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Er, yes, actually. They weren't competing head to head...

Come on, it's like the RAF inviting Adolf Galland to test fly a Spitfire in 1939...

Old 10 Mar 2010, 23:35 (Ref:2649264)   #142
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
He probably did test a Spitfire too ..... on German soil !!!
Old 10 Mar 2010, 23:45 (Ref:2649269)   #143
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Can't see the works AM team having a Porsche competitor from the LMS series in their car for the 24, anyway I am sure Porsche will find him a ride for that race.

If Porsche had wanted to control his goings-on that much they would not have terminated his factory contract at the end of 08. His current contract is with Prospeed, and if they have their lineup, it sounds like the contract should allow him to be elsewhere. If DT is out, as he is, I would not be surprised to see Westy in with Bell and Sugden at LM.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 23:47 (Ref:2649271)   #144
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, I read that on DSC. I think we were all under the impression there was no 'spare'.
Indeed, especially as one of the crashed tubs was replaced with one from an ex-Charouz Lola Aston. Perhaps this was a late-season purchase given the number that kept getting wrecked?!
Old 10 Mar 2010, 23:58 (Ref:2649277)   #145
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Don't think it's been mentioned, but I was intrigued to see the quickest P1 over the two days was on Dunlops, and that the quicker of the two Lola Aston Martin's was also on Dunlops. Could be as simple as Dunlop bringing a compound more suited to the cold weather than Michelin........or not?
Old 11 Mar 2010, 00:22 (Ref:2649287)   #146
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Given that Dunlop seem to have done something very significant with their LMP2 rubber I see no reason why they can't have done the same in LMP1. Chucking some significant tyre issues in and muddying the waters where heretofore Michelin have been dominant would help make this year even more exciting.

@Tim the Grey - kudos for raising the erudition bar with the Galland reference, if study wasn't currently hors de combat with house renovations I'd have been straight upstairs to dig through texts on RAF and Luftwaffe to see if something like that happened - nothing would surprise me!
Old 11 Mar 2010, 00:32 (Ref:2649290)   #147
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
Indeed, especially as one of the crashed tubs was replaced with one from an ex-Charouz Lola Aston. Perhaps this was a late-season purchase given the number that kept getting wrecked?!
Lola B09/60 HU03S...so indeed a spare tub utilized to build up a new car after a crash prior to Le Mans.
Old 11 Mar 2010, 00:42 (Ref:2649296)   #148
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
Given that Dunlop seem to have done something very significant with their LMP2 rubber I see no reason why they can't have done the same in LMP1. Chucking some significant tyre issues in and muddying the waters where heretofore Michelin have been dominant would help make this year even more exciting.
That's very much what I was implying. The potential for a tyre war in both prototype classes adds a dimension we've been denied for a number of years. I'm watching with great interest!
Old 11 Mar 2010, 00:56 (Ref:2649300)   #149
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
That's very much what I was implying. The potential for a tyre war in both prototype classes adds a dimension we've been denied for a number of years. I'm watching with great interest!
The only place I see where Dunlop may suffer is with the diesels, due to the experience that Michelin has with the amount of torque put down, as compared to the petrol P-1s.

L.P.
Old 11 Mar 2010, 01:09 (Ref:2649303)   #150
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
The only place I see where Dunlop may suffer is with the diesels, due to the experience that Michelin has with the amount of torque put down, as compared to the petrol P-1s.

L.P.
Absolutely, and I guess it'll remain that way unless a manufacturer asks them to produce an LMPD tyre for them. They'd definitely need a development partner to work with.