Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Apr 2013, 12:59 (Ref:3230903)   #126
The IC
Racer

Australia
The IC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well...they have a lofty target to beat with Slys "Driven"...

Ah, dammit, FordCosworthPanoz you beat me to it
Old 8 Apr 2013, 13:00 (Ref:3230905)   #127
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Sadly, this looks like a 'based on a true story version' of Driven, I'd love to be proven wrong, but it is Hollywood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwqQlrb4XIE
That really was a truly awful film.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 13:24 (Ref:3230913)   #128
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I can't wait to see a shot of a driver "choose" to go faster by flooring the throttle when it wasn't before...
Don't forget the downshift.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 13:57 (Ref:3230923)   #129
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I can't wait to see a shot of a driver "choose" to go faster by flooring the throttle when it wasn't before...
The affliction of many a motorsport film.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 14:15 (Ref:3230934)   #130
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I dunno about that Austrian accent. It's a bit like the Irish accent. If it's a little out of sync, it sounds ludicrous.

Ron Howard has a better record than Stallone so I'll expect it'll be a worthy attempt.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 14:24 (Ref:3230938)   #131
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I guess this one is a much better perspective of the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUSCxxGQuZY

Hoping for the best.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 14:33 (Ref:3230945)   #132
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
im just happy they didnt give everyone an American accent.

that part were Lauda tells everyone in the drivers briefing that he's quicker then them all them...got goosebumps!
Old 8 Apr 2013, 14:37 (Ref:3230948)   #133
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I had thought Brühl was oddly cast but looking back on archive footage of Lauda pre-accident, the resemblance isn't bad.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 14:42 (Ref:3230952)   #134
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I get it. Everyone is afraid to hope that this could be a really good movie. So lets try to pick it apart in advance.

But... I didn't see anything in that trailer to show it being over the top, or like Driven. One thing that seems "odd", but at the same time "good" about the trailer is that it doesn't seem to have been shot just like how we view F1. It doesn't seem to be a series of long shots from behind the safety of the barriers or traditional on car viewpoints. I think we are also used to seeing a combo of poorly shot 8/16mm film and/or flat TV images. And that has defined what we think it should look like. Granted, they may have cranked up the contrast a bit, but all combined it does give it a different look than what we are used to. And the events in the movie (and shown in the trailer) "were" dramatic, so I would expect some... gasp... action scenes! So... at least so far... I don't see loads of the "Hollywood" treatment. And it is not a documentary. So I expect when all said and done for there to be plenty of small details to pick apart. Hopefully there doesn't turn out to be any huge historical inaccuracies.

Overall, I think the trailer was excellent and it shows a lot of promise.

Richard
Old 8 Apr 2013, 14:48 (Ref:3230956)   #135
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post

Ron Howard has a better record than Stallone so I'll expect it'll be a worthy attempt.
Well that's for sure.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 15:04 (Ref:3230964)   #136
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm looking forward to seeing these cars again. This is what I grew up on in my teens.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 17:36 (Ref:3231029)   #137
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I get it. Everyone is afraid to hope that this could be a really good movie. So lets try to pick it apart in advance.

But... I didn't see anything in that trailer to show it being over the top, or like Driven.. Overall, I think the trailer was excellent and it shows a lot of promise.
Well said, Richard. I agree. I think it was a good trailer and it does make me want to see the movie.

However, it's a mistake to pay too much attention to trailers. Sometimes they are way better than the movie itself and sometimes they do not inspire you to see what turns out to be a great movie.

In the case of Rush, I anticipate that the move will live up to the trailer.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 20:50 (Ref:3231140)   #138
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The dialogue in the trailer was typical OTT motor racing movie stuff and worrying for it! However, as with the stills we've seen, the footage looks very good. Very not-Driven!

Lets face it Grand Prix and Le Mans are good films, apart from the script and story! This may be based on a real story, but there is opportunity!

Brum brum, looking forward to it.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 20:57 (Ref:3231145)   #139
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm loving the Niki Lauda stat "20% chance of dying in a race". beau, did you give them that one?
Old 8 Apr 2013, 21:10 (Ref:3231154)   #140
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
There's alot of very, very bad movies that comes from hollywood. Not least of which was Driven. Add to that, it's tough to appeal both to niche audiences and the general audience. Their wants don't always mix. So caution is warranted. I have no problem holding this film to a high bar.

I think it'll be interesting though. The sets strike an authentic note, we know the plot is compelling. Hopefully the film will follow in a similar vein and be reasonably true to the events themselves.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 21:44 (Ref:3231169)   #141
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
There's alot of very, very bad movies that comes from hollywood.
Surprising Andretti didnt win the WDC in this film then.......like the Yanks win Pearl Harbour in every film they make about it.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 21:58 (Ref:3231176)   #142
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!
This looks absolutely fantastic; the trailer alone had my blood racing.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 22:49 (Ref:3231204)   #143
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Surprising Andretti didnt win the WDC in this film then.......like the Yanks win Pearl Harbour in every film they make about it.
At least we Yanks are trying to make a good movie about racing, and most Americans (present company excluded) don't even really care that much about F1 and sports car racing.

Yes, Driven was awful, as was Tom Cruise's Days of Thunder. But Grand Prix, Le Mans and even Winning are all pretty good, at least on some level. Don't forget Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby and The Gumball Rally-- two decent movies in the obscure genre of racing comedies.

None of these are great films. But where are the efforts of other countries--the Brits, the French, the Germans, the Italians, the Japanese..the Aussies? Have any of those countries made a good movie about racing? Yes, the British-produced Senna was outstanding-- one of the best racing movies ever. But it's a documentary, so it's in a class by itself.

Maybe racing and Hollywood just don't mix well. But let's be thankful that Ron Howard and the people who put up the money for Rush have taken up the challenge of making a great movie about racing. It remains to be seen whether it will be great or even good. I hope that it is great, because if this one fails, we may not see another one for a long time.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 23:12 (Ref:3231212)   #144
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I liked Days of Thunder

On another note Imdb has the budget for Rush at 38mil. If its a commercial success hopefully we will see some others take a chance on F1 features.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 23:32 (Ref:3231223)   #145
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It actually looks pretty good to me.

For one thing care seems to have been taken with getting the story and historical accuracy down to a reasonable level.

Obviously this is no film shot in Super 8 or a documentary. "Senna" is just a different type of movie.

I'm no big fan of ron howard and he's made some stupid movies, but others like Apollo 13 were very good.

I think it has some potential and could open the door for future films based on when motor racing was actually interesting.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 23:34 (Ref:3231226)   #146
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
I liked Days of Thunder
At least it was better than Driven.

Chilli, don't you think the story of Gilles Villeneuve could make a a good movie? Maybe it should be a documentary like Senna. I think Villeneuve's story is a compelling one and I would love to see a good film maker do something with it.

Mark Webber, Christian Horner and Sebastian Vettel survey Villeneuve's Ferrari in Montreal, June 2011.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 23:41 (Ref:3231231)   #147
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHWS View Post

Chilli, don't you think the story of Gilles Villeneuve could make a a good movie? Maybe it should be a documentary like Senna. I think Villeneuve's story is a compelling one and I would love to see a good film maker do something with it.

Mark Webber, Christian Horner and Sebastian Vettel survey Villeneuve's Ferrari in Montreal, June 2011.
That looks like the back end of a 312 T4.
Old 9 Apr 2013, 01:40 (Ref:3231257)   #148
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHWS View Post

I would love that to happen. My hero, he deserves it.
Old 9 Apr 2013, 01:49 (Ref:3231260)   #149
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
There's a huge amount of drama that could be mined from the birth of the sport onwards. A huge amount of pre-Great war stuff, pre-WW2, from the 50's and so on. Joe Saward has his books on some of the prewar racers in the French resistance for example. Alot of stuff that may have slipped from the mind's of fans themselves could make good cinema.

So folks, there you go, time to get cracking on those screen plays.
Old 9 Apr 2013, 01:50 (Ref:3231261)   #150
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
That looks like the back end of a 312 T4.
BJS, good guess. I think it's actually a 312T5, a revised version of the 312T4. Not that I would know that on my own, but I know from another one of my photos that this car sports number 2. Checking images of Villeneuve's Ferraris on the Web, the 312T with the number 2 was a 312T5. Here is my photo of the same car racing in the Historic Grand Prix in Montreal in 2011.