Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 23 Feb 2009, 17:18 (Ref:2402553)   #126
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
/\/\
I'll second that David - fascinating stuff...
Old 23 Feb 2009, 17:18 (Ref:2402554)   #127
northington
Rookie

northington should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some of the publicity photos that AR supplied us are in still in transparencies, but I can post one that clearly shows my car with the wing mounted "fuel fill"

In 1985 AR supplied us with new MK2 bumpers and front grilles and I think new bonnets so that the car would better resemble current production.
Old 23 Feb 2009, 17:19 (Ref:2402555)   #128
northington
Rookie

Sorry, "without" the wing mounted fuel fill.
Old 23 Feb 2009, 23:48 (Ref:2402811)   #129
northington
Rookie

Here's the photo of the car that was shipped to the US.

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/w...etto/metro.jpg
Old 24 Feb 2009, 07:17 (Ref:2402930)   #130
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
MG Rover Sport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That looks like Donington Park to me - many thanks.

Incidentally, was it still in full Computervision livery when you took delivery John?
Old 24 Feb 2009, 10:14 (Ref:2403009)   #131
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG Rover Sport
That looks like Donington Park to me - many thanks.

Incidentally, was it still in full Computervision livery when you took delivery John?
Definitely looks like Donington to me as well David- I reckon it's Redgate- the gap in the wall is the vehicle access on the inside of the corner and those stepped roofs in the background to the left of the trees must the the back of the hospitality boxes on the inside of the Craners?
Old 24 Feb 2009, 10:17 (Ref:2403011)   #132
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say Donington too and looks like Twatts driving.
Old 24 Feb 2009, 10:24 (Ref:2403018)   #133
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
Definitely looks like Donington to me as well David- I reckon it's Redgate- the gap in the wall is the vehicle access on the inside of the corner and those stepped roofs in the background to the left of the trees must the the back of the hospitality boxes on the inside of the Craners?
I admire your attention to detail KA - agree totally with your Redgate Spotter's Guide!

Likewise Gregor, yes it is indeed Patrick Watts driving.
Old 24 Feb 2009, 10:30 (Ref:2403023)   #134
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by northington
If I remember correctly, the car was purchased right after the pull out of AR from the BTCC. We were offered two cars but this one had more spares. The car came with 2 power units and we had Howley provide the rebuilds and purchased 2 additional units.

Jack Knight produced additional final drive ratios as the "standing start" ratios didn't work here.

As time went on we had Richard Longman produce 2 additional engines and they were the quickest by far. Richard actually visited Atlanta and helped "sort the car for use at US tracks. He was scheduled to drive the car at one of the Miami events when a mix up of documentation kept the car from racing.

The car ran the West Beach, and Miami events as well as a number of Atlanta and VIR races, and was retired after IMSA banned turbocharging in GTU, '88 I believe.
John- I'd be really interested to know some of the background to the story- I don't know very much about the IMSA GTU scene in the 80's, but it's one of the last places I'd have expected an ex-BTCC Metro turbo to turn up! (I'd always associated the class with tube-frame RX7s and the like) What led you to the idea of racing the Metro in GTU?
Old 24 Feb 2009, 10:31 (Ref:2403025)   #135
KA
Veteran

Quote:
I admire your attention to detail KA - agree totally with your Redgate Spotter's Guide!

Likewise Gregor, yes it is indeed Patrick Watts driving.
I've probably spent far too much of my life walking around Donington....
Old 24 Feb 2009, 11:19 (Ref:2403047)   #136
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
John- I'd be really interested to know some of the background to the story- What led you to the idea of racing the Metro in GTU?
Indeed, the very same question I was going to ask.

Back to the pic/identity theories a mo. That Donington pic must've been taken at the season opener as the only other 'Donny' round was mid September and by then the MG's had gone.

Hopefully John can give us the actual chassis number shortly but i'm still thinking that this car was one of the '83 cars (as he is sure he bought it immedaitely after the June pull out) and not one of the fresh for '84 BTCC cars that later did the TT>
Old 24 Feb 2009, 12:33 (Ref:2403089)   #137
northington
Rookie

The car is still in Atlanta, I currently live in Tennessee. The next time I'm in Atlanta I'll get the chassis number. All I remember is that the car had an AR number welded on the inner fender under the bonnet. I think it was on the left hand side. I don't recall a number like 001 or 005...

In answer to the "why" in IMSA. We had been racing Minis in SCCA for years and wanted to step up to a more professional series. At the time tube frame cars were not really the norm in IMSA so the Metro fit right in. The car was wildly popular and we had as many on lookers as the factory teams in the paddock.

At the street racing events at Miami and West Palm Beach we actually had to rope the car off to keep fans away so we could work on the car between sessions.
Old 24 Feb 2009, 12:58 (Ref:2403110)   #138
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
I agree about the photo being from the 1984 season opener 'chunterer'. I'd be able to tell you the date if I hadn't sold the programme on a well known auction site when I was having a clearout! I think it was March 1984 sometime.

A fantastic insight into why you plumped for the Metro John, and I'd have loved to have seen the expressions on the faces of the American race fans looking at the tiny 'pocket rocket' taking on the might of Mazda or Porsche in the GTU Class. That must have been something else.

Do you have any details of any race glories John, or any class winning successes? What was it like racing the Metro against your rivals?
Old 24 Feb 2009, 12:59 (Ref:2403112)   #139
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Excelllent John, sounds like it was a right crowd pleaser then!!!

What sort of hardware were you up against at the time in GTU's?
Old 24 Feb 2009, 13:07 (Ref:2403120)   #140
northington
Rookie

Well I remember we never finished in the "money" The car was super quick in qualifying but at the street races we were of course plagued by throttle lag. At VIR we were actually running 2nd behind a Mazda when the gearbox gave out.

The engines were always reliable but the gearboxes were something else. We rebuilt the "boxes" after each event but the 200 + hp was way over their limits.

The works Group A engine is a very different animal from a standard MG Metro Turbo engine.
Old 24 Feb 2009, 14:25 (Ref:2403178)   #141
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
Just thought it'd be nice to see the sister car to the one that John has just enlightened us about - the Nº 35 entry of Robin Brundle, Chassis Nº 003 apparently. This car was For Sale by Mike Abbas Classic Cars a couple of years ago abd described as follows...

Austin Rover ex factory works Computervision MG Metro Turbo Group 'A' Touring Car.

• Built new in 1984.
• Only 4 works cars built (3 works cars built for the British Touring Car Championships and 1 works car built for the German Touring Car Championships).
• This car being Chassis Number 3.
• Just had full engine rebuild by Roger Dowson Engineering.
• Full history.
• Build cost today would be in excess of £100,000).
• Full car is immaculate, totally original and pristine throughout - never welded or damaged.
• Can email vast amount of history / pictures / spec etc.

AUSTIN ROVER EX FACTORY WORKS COMPUTERVISION MG METRO TURBO 2A.jpg   AUSTIN ROVER EX FACTORY WORKS COMPUTERVISION MG METRO TURBO 6.jpg   AUSTIN ROVER EX FACTORY WORKS COMPUTERVISION MG METRO TURBO.jpg  

Last edited by MG Rover Sport; 24 Feb 2009 at 14:27.
Old 24 Feb 2009, 14:51 (Ref:2403190)   #142
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
• Build cost today would be in excess of £100,000.
I think Dad got £8,000 maybe £8,500 if my memory serves me - will check the paperwork when I get home.
Old 24 Feb 2009, 15:15 (Ref:2403206)   #143
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
Quite possibly Gregor. Certainly 004 - the car that was on display at Gaydon for years - sold for a sum of £7000 (£8,050 inc fees) when Bonhams sold it in 2003.

Reckon it would be worth more now though.
Old 24 Feb 2009, 15:19 (Ref:2403208)   #144
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Aah so that's where 004 was?

I need to update the archive methinks!!
Old 24 Feb 2009, 15:26 (Ref:2403210)   #145
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
I forgot about your earlier mention of 004 'chunterer' - sorry...

We certainly have some history on it recently, as it was entered in a few auctions and has even been mentioned before on this thread (I think?) regarding being acquired by the Bradleys, and being featured in Retro Cars magazine. I'm sure that is 004, but will have a look back through the posts later.
Old 24 Feb 2009, 15:32 (Ref:2403214)   #146
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
I forgot about your earlier mention of 004 'chunterer' - sorry...

We certainly have some history on it recently, as it was entered in a few auctions and has even been mentioned before on this thread (I think?).
You're probably right David, i'll blame stress at the mo on my part!!
Old 24 Feb 2009, 15:36 (Ref:2403217)   #147
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
No worries mate - I'm sure we can all relate to that from time to time...
Old 24 Feb 2009, 16:08 (Ref:2403235)   #148
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
Extracts from post #5 and #6 on Page 1...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wilkinson
I think that's the one I as thinking of. Retro Cars May '04, the article has a lot of the same facts as that advert.

One of 3 cars prepared for the '84 season, Computervision car, prepped by Roger Dowson, number 35 driven by Brundle and Harvey. Was an exhibit at the Heritage Centre until '03 when it was bought by Dave and James Bradley.

I think it came up for sale about a year after the feature.
Quote:
004 was definitely the car on display at Gaydon, which was subsequently sold at auction to the Bradleys. If I rememeber right, that father bought it for his teenage son, and the article in Retro Cars made quite a big point of the fact that the teenager owned it.
Old 24 Feb 2009, 16:51 (Ref:2403260)   #149
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by northington
The car is still in Atlanta, I currently live in Tennessee. The next time I'm in Atlanta I'll get the chassis number. All I remember is that the car had an AR number welded on the inner fender under the bonnet. I think it was on the left hand side. I don't recall a number like 001 or 005...

In answer to the "why" in IMSA. We had been racing Minis in SCCA for years and wanted to step up to a more professional series. At the time tube frame cars were not really the norm in IMSA so the Metro fit right in. The car was wildly popular and we had as many on lookers as the factory teams in the paddock.

At the street racing events at Miami and West Palm Beach we actually had to rope the car off to keep fans away so we could work on the car between sessions.
This is great stuff John- I hadn't known about any of this!
Old 24 Feb 2009, 16:53 (Ref:2403265)   #150
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
This is what I've got on 004 at the moment - taken from various sources, including auction catalogues...

• In February 1985 the car was assigned to the Austin Rover Group Heritage Trust, then based at Syon Park, London. This car subsequently became an exhibit at the Gaydon Heritage Motor Centre in Warwickshire until 2003.

• A Sale of Selected British Motor Cars By Order of the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust on 29 June 2003 @ Heritage Motor Centre, Gaydon, Warwickshire.
Lot No: 57 - Sold to David & James Bradley for £7000 (£8,050 inc fees).

• This Evolution spec car, equipped with under front bumper fuel coolers was then immediately returned in July 2003 to Roger Dowson Engineering, and a £4900 complete engine and gearbox rebuild was completed by October 2003, just 4 months later. New parts were used to pattern where necessary, including four new exhaust valves, 11 metres of new stainless braided hose, new fuel lines, a new gear set, and the fuel tank cleaned and checked for leaks and then refitted. Both steering rack gaiters have been renewed and also a new battery has been fitted. New Avon slicks are also fitted to the BBS 8x13 centre lock split rims, along with new brake disc pads. Not yet set up again for the circuit, the car has however been run at Bruntingthorpe on a brief test.

• Featured in the May 2004 issue of Retro Cars magazine - possibly using the Bruntingthorpe test track as mentioned above (I'll check!).

• The MG Motor Car and Memorabilia Auction at the MG Car Club’s ‘75th Anniversary Silverstone Weekend’ on Saturday 23rd July 2005.
Lot No: 131 (Estimate £15,000 - 18,000) - unsure whether it sold though (I'll check!).

And now some photos of what has been stated as being 004. Interesting to see that it too is No 35 and isn't fitted with the fuel fillers on the rear wings, implying that it was a British Championship 'sprint' specification car...
Attached Thumbnails
132.jpg   132a.jpg   132b.jpg  

Lot 57-1.jpg   Lot 57-2.jpg   Lot 57-3.jpg  

Tags
arg, btcc, group a, metro turbo, roger dowson engineering