Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 6 Jun 2006, 05:39 (Ref:1628156)   #126
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so any news on Henri's initiative to change the pit lane exit? is the ACO listening?
Old 6 Jun 2006, 11:49 (Ref:1628427)   #127
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do i not like this.
Another part of LM i loved seeing was the car's merging back into the action.
This surely ruins this spectacle for the tribune/ start straight viewing.
Any pics or experiences from Test Day?
Old 6 Jun 2006, 14:27 (Ref:1628542)   #128
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its certainly dodgy, the exit is badly placed
Old 10 Jun 2006, 00:00 (Ref:1630920)   #129
Konar
Rookie

Konar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.lemans.org/24heuresdumans...FS_520_gb.html

seems they have changed the exit again
Old 12 Jun 2006, 12:40 (Ref:1632421)   #130
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm reading that as good news - am I right?

I see the whole sorry mess was caused by bloody motorbikes again - what the hell is going on at the ACO - is the the 24 Heures du Mans circuit or some Mickey Mouse two-wheeled show these days?

Last edited by Aysedasi; 12 Jun 2006 at 12:42.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 23:50 (Ref:1633055)   #131
Konar
Rookie

Konar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its good for me since the south exit is right in front of my grandstand, and i got some great digital footage last year!
Old 13 Jun 2006, 08:12 (Ref:1633205)   #132
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I understand that two safety cars will be used this year (instead of the usual three). Hopefully this will enable those responsible to synchronise the release of the cars better than they have in recent years..........!!
Old 13 Jun 2006, 12:38 (Ref:1633452)   #133
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
where did you get that from?

I always thought 3 were good, as it didn't cost much time to cars at pits
with only 2, some will lose time (I guess Henri is not ok with that)
Old 13 Jun 2006, 14:38 (Ref:1633561)   #134
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernard b
where did you get that from?

I always thought 3 were good, as it didn't cost much time to cars at pits
with only 2, some will lose time (I guess Henri is not ok with that)
According to Marty Kaufmann (Deputy Clerk of the Course), the ACO has made an amendment to the supplementary regulations for this year, two safety cars instead of three. Couldn't remember where I'd seen it originally but I've found it again, on DSC.
Old 14 Jun 2006, 02:05 (Ref:1633978)   #135
prototype
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
prototype should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
rumours here that the r10 won't be able to run as long as everyone says

Any more news on this??? The first 90 minutes of this race are going to be awesome!
Old 14 Jun 2006, 07:11 (Ref:1634043)   #136
WouterM
Racer

Netherlands
WouterM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype
Any more news on this??? The first 90 minutes of this race are going to be awesome!
Diesel engines are only kinder on fuel when not pushed to the max. As soon as Audi is forced to go all out, the consumption will be very similar to the petrol counter parts. It looks like Pescarolo's pace took Audi by surprise ...
Old 14 Jun 2006, 09:33 (Ref:1634137)   #137
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I just pray it continues that way - I'd love to see the Audi's really pushed for once - if they have to win, let them earn it to the max! (Still supporting Pesca 95% though).
Old 21 Jun 2006, 09:33 (Ref:1638300)   #138
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
I suspect I may have missed an opportunity this year. I noticed both on the Friday prior and again on the Monday after the race that there was no sign of the green screening that has adorned the fencing in front of the restaurants on the approach to the first Mulsanne chicane since I can't remember when. Were the screens in place during the race or not?
Old 21 Jun 2006, 11:29 (Ref:1638351)   #139
Alistair_Ryder
Rookie

Alistair_Ryder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well we went there at 2am during the race last year and the green screening had been torn down, hence i managed to get this footage,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tttREvbgF6k

,but it must have been up during the daytime. If the highlights come back round on motors, i'll try and have a look
Old 6 Jul 2006, 17:34 (Ref:1649760)   #140
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
All I hear of the ACO is safety this,safety that ...Will they ever do something with the spectators in mind? Like building proper new grandstands in sted of these oversized partytents which are windy as hell and hardly stop any rain...and maybe stop increasing the prices by 15% every year! That's one reason I don't believe that the works at the sacred Tertre rouge corner is stopped for now...lack of money? Yeah right. Let's see,amount of spectators times 60 euro's...that's,say 225.000x 60= 13.500.000 euro's,add to that all the grandstandtickets and all the campsite and parkingtickets...oh,and ofcourse the very lucrative TV footage and startersfee's. Before you know it,it adds up to an astronomical number! Of which I think hardly all is being put back in the 24 hours for cars...
Were there are a lot of burocrats at play,money dissapears without anyone nowing were it's gonne.

The ACO could take some lessons from the ALMS. That series really takes the fans in account.
Old 6 Jul 2006, 20:01 (Ref:1649858)   #141
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour
All I hear of the ACO is safety this,safety that ...Will they ever do something with the spectators in mind? Like building proper new grandstands in sted of these oversized partytents which are windy as hell and hardly stop any rain...and maybe stop increasing the prices by 15% every year! That's one reason I don't believe that the works at the sacred Tertre rouge corner is stopped for now...lack of money? Yeah right. Let's see,amount of spectators times 60 euro's...that's,say 225.000x 60= 13.500.000 euro's,add to that all the grandstandtickets and all the campsite and parkingtickets...oh,and ofcourse the very lucrative TV footage and startersfee's. Before you know it,it adds up to an astronomical number! Of which I think hardly all is being put back in the 24 hours for cars...
Were there are a lot of burocrats at play,money dissapears without anyone nowing were it's gonne.

The ACO could take some lessons from the ALMS. That series really takes the fans in account.
You seem to have a few problems with ACO...........

Safety: It's out of their hands, they must adhere to the advice of the FIA who homologate the circuit.

Grandstands: I assume you are referring to the temporary grandstands built for the 24 hour race at the Dunlop end of the pits straight. Yep, they're not great and maybe they do let in a little rain. But when it's hot the extra air circulation they allow is a blessing. They also have giant screens positioned in front of them.

Tertre Rouge: A huge amount of work has been done to the infield, it's almost unrecognisable from last year. They have already spent an enormous amount of money there. Reprofiling of the track and a new pedestrian tunnel will not be cheap. One of the highlights for me this year was the tremendous view from the top of the big new bank. Fantastic!

Ticket prices: A 15% increase each year? Are we really attending the same race? Le Mans is, and I hope will remain, amazing value for money. We are talking about the pinnacle of sportscar racing, the biggest sportscar race on the calendar. 60 euros for forty and three quarter hours of on track action (plus Test Day and support race(s)), a grandstand seat which is all yours for two whole days and costs just 80-100 euros. I'm sorry, it's just not a lot of money for what you are getting.

As for your suggestions about disappearing ACO money, unless you can substantiate these allegations it's probably better to say nothing at all..........
Old 6 Jul 2006, 21:58 (Ref:1649931)   #142
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
60 euros for forty and three quarter hours of on track action (plus Test Day and support race(s))...........
Oops, I didn't get my maths quite right there, make that thirty two and three quarter hours + Test Day + support race(s).
Old 6 Jul 2006, 22:13 (Ref:1649935)   #143
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Did Le Mans for 15 consecutive years during the 70's and 80's and adored the place.Went the first year they put the chicanes down Mulsanne Straight and never been back.Total act of vandalism in my view - akin to painting a moustache,glasses and a black tooth on the Mona Lisa.Hardly a decent circuit left in the World - plenty of safe one's but nothing that drag's me out of bed anymore.
Old 6 Jul 2006, 23:45 (Ref:1649966)   #144
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ah, everything was better in the good ol Days

If a couple of chicanes can stop you experiencing a race, your loss.
Old 7 Jul 2006, 09:47 (Ref:1650147)   #145
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Ah, everything was better in the good ol Days

If a couple of chicanes can stop you experiencing a race, your loss.
Yes - now they've bedded in a bit they are not too bad... can't believe i just said that!
Old 7 Jul 2006, 15:45 (Ref:1650340)   #146
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Once you've sampled Champagne a cheap sparkling wine ain't good enough!The chicanes suck!,plus we've also lost all of those glorious 'long tail' specials.
Old 7 Jul 2006, 16:23 (Ref:1650367)   #147
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman
Once you've sampled Champagne a cheap sparkling wine ain't good enough!The chicanes suck!,plus we've also lost all of those glorious 'long tail' specials.
Don't get me wrong - I would far sooner there be no chicanes, but quite simply, that isn't going to happen. I'm more concerned that the remaining parts of the traditional circuit aren't bulldozed for more chicanes and safety features.

Not wishing in any way to tempt fate, isn't the circuit (coupled with the modern cars) safe enough? I have the same thoughts re F1, in that the racing has become sterilised and the "fear factor" has been removed.
Old 7 Jul 2006, 16:26 (Ref:1650370)   #148
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
@Bentley03

I have to agree with you on the reasonable value for money on the tickets. However,if you look at your tickets from the last few years,you'll see the increase in prices I mentioned. At this rate,how long is it still gonna be an affordable race?

About the safety,you're right in mentioning the FIA here and that is exactly were the problem is! If there's one organisation not in favour of Le Mans it is the FIA. They killed numerous races to protect their goose which lays the golden egg: Formula one. Ever since the ACO has been taken over by some "good ol' boys" from the FIA,we as fans,have been forgotten.

You are absolutly right if you say I have a few problems with the ACO for imho,the fella's up on the high seats of this organisation are there for there own good. Look at the new price for the most ecologically friendly car in the race,which is totally irrelevant for racecars but great for the political image of the ACO... and not to mention the "no wheelspinning in the pitlane rule",whoever came up with that one has never been near a racingcar nor spoke to a racingdriver.

Again,the ACO should take a good example of Don Panoz's ALMS series.
In that series,directly after the drivers and teams,come the fans.
For instance the lights on the sides of the cars so you,spectator,can identify who's on what position in the race. Simple in the technical sence but great for the spectators. I can go on and on,but I think it's safe to say that from the 11 years I'm going,the track has been conditioned in such a way that the spectators are being ever further from the track.
I mean,if Iwanna see cars from a distance,I might as well stay home and watch the telly!

Listen to me! Like I'm ever NOT gonna go to Le Mans...
Old 10 Jul 2006, 12:59 (Ref:1652242)   #149
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
"For instance the lights on the sides of the cars"

The "tower" which the US races use to show the numbers of the cars in position order must also be an easy (and really useful) "positive" change to the circuit. It surely can't cost that much and would be a great help.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 14:06 (Ref:1652304)   #150
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
As for your suggestions about disappearing ACO money, unless you can substantiate these allegations it's probably better to say nothing at all..........
Agreed. There is no evidence at all that there is anything untoward happening with the ACO finances. We do not do unsubstantiated claims like this at 10-10ths for obvious reasons.