Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 2 May 2004, 20:38 (Ref:958812)   #126
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
If the last few posts seem inconsistent with the flow of the conversation, it is because many posts which were referring to Superunknown's have been pulled. My apologies if yours was one of 'em.
Old 2 May 2004, 20:46 (Ref:958816)   #127
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
The story and link which Dov posted tells everything you could ever want to know about Hemelgarn's fitness centers, but very little about his ChampCar plans.
Old 2 May 2004, 20:53 (Ref:958825)   #128
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
The story and link which Dov posted tells everything you could ever want to know about Hemelgarn's fitness centers, but very little about his ChampCar plans.
Indeed! I'm hoping we can hear some more about his plans and if he will have a car/cars in Mexico.
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 2 May 2004, 21:02 (Ref:958832)   #129
cartpix
Racer

cartpix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If the last few posts seem inconsistent with the flow of the conversation, it is because many posts which were referring to Superunknown's have been pulled. My apologies if yours was one of 'em.
I caught you in mid pull. I saw his, but not Mags or mine. I thought I was losing it. But then again, you can't lose what you've already lost.

Jeff
Old 2 May 2004, 23:20 (Ref:958916)   #130
Svenko
Rookie

Svenko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its not good to see undertalented drivers like micheal valiante being picked over talented drivers like roman rusinov and sergey zlobin.
Old 3 May 2004, 02:06 (Ref:958988)   #131
JonnyT
Rookie

JonnyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No problem at all. Does anybody have any more reasonable opinions about Hemelgarn? I don't know anything about him. Is he likely to field a good team?
Old 3 May 2004, 03:41 (Ref:959018)   #132
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyT
No problem at all. Does anybody have any more reasonable opinions about Hemelgarn? I don't know anything about him. Is he likely to field a good team?
here you GO..!!

From a friend in "the know"

"Ron is a a pretty good guy. He has been involved in IndyCar racing since 1982-'83. He primarily focused on Indy for years- including winning in '96 with Buddy Lazier. At Indy, Ron always had a primary car that had a serious pro in it. Then, a second car with a buy-a-rider and then, he'd often run a third car for a short-tracker or Indy car veteran. I always liked that about Ron. But, the money just got to be too much."
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 3 May 2004, 05:46 (Ref:959045)   #133
Superunknown
Rookie

Superunknown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how funny, other folks in "the know" understand the complete opposite being true about the man as an understood...
"Doors are the most important thing that any auto company engineers for consumers. When I worked at the Mustang plant, cars wouldn't start and pieces would be falling off everywhere, but you can be damn sure those doors would ALWAYS work right." -Dr. Ashford
Old 3 May 2004, 05:48 (Ref:959047)   #134
Superunknown
Rookie

Superunknown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Superunknown
EDIT:
Superunknown, I suggest you take a refresher on forum policy.
Defammatory and/or libelious statements will never be tolerated.
10T's has too much to lose.
my apologies for speaking candidly and truthfully about someone involved in the series who is in the public limelight. oh well...

mags, your buddy in "the know" is obviously not as in "the know" as you think if he's saying that hemelgarn runs a good outfit...

Last edited by Superunknown; 3 May 2004 at 05:56.
"Doors are the most important thing that any auto company engineers for consumers. When I worked at the Mustang plant, cars wouldn't start and pieces would be falling off everywhere, but you can be damn sure those doors would ALWAYS work right." -Dr. Ashford
Old 3 May 2004, 18:40 (Ref:959586)   #135
zerO
Veteran

zerO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 20+ car ChampCar GRID Shaping Up ?!?!

Update:

Latest from the Grapevine is that the 19th car we shall see on the grid at Monterrey will come from WALKER/HEMELGARN - a joint effort using ex-Forsythe Reynards ?!... and that solution will (proverbially) kill two birds with one stone...

Here's how the line-up scenario looks like now:

1. FORSYTHE - #1 - Paul Tracy
2. FORSYTHE - #3 - Rodofo Lavin
3. FORSYTHE - #7 - Patrick Carpentier
4. NEWMAN/HAAS - #2 - Sebastien Bourdais
5. NEWMAN/HAAS - #6 - Bruno Junqueira
6. HERDEZ - #4 - Ryan Hunter-Reay
7. HERDEZ - #55 - Mario Dominguez
8. COYNE - #11 - Oriol Servia
9. COYNE - #19 - Tarso Marques and/or Jaime Melo or Michael Keohane or Ralph Firman or Tomas Enge
10. BACHELART - #14 - Alex Sperafico
11. BACHELART - #34 - Justin Wilson
12. KALKHOVEN - #12 - Jimmy Vasser
13. KALKHOVEN - #21 - Roberto Gonzalez
14. GENTILOZZI - #8 - Alex Tagliani
15. GENTILOZZI - #17 - Nelson Philippe
16. RUSSO - #9 - Michel Jourdain
17. RUSSO - #10 - AJ Allmendinger
18. WALKER - #5 - Mario Habereld
19. WALKER/HEMELGARN - #15 - Michael Valiante or Rafael Martinez or Townsend Bell or Jaime Melo or Ralph Firman

Possibles:

20. FITTIPALDI - #20 - Gaston Mazzacane or Ricardo Sperafico or Jaime Melo or Christian Fittipaldi
21. KALKHOVEN - #22 - Josh Hunt, Christian Murchison, Seung Yin Lee, and/or Townsend Bell
22. FORSYTHE/LEBERLE - #24 - Townsend Bell or Jonathan Macri or Jaime Melo or Ralph Firman or Michael Keohane

btw, for the updated picturesque version (when Stranger wakes up, btw ) go to www.champcarfan.com and click on the "Line-up" thingy ?!

zerO
Old 3 May 2004, 19:03 (Ref:959606)   #136
Mags
Veteran

Zero - how come your line up never mentions Tiago Montiero?
Old 3 May 2004, 19:17 (Ref:959628)   #137
zerO
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Mags
Zero - how come your line up never mentions Tiago Montiero?
Monteiro is "having fun" in Nissan World Series... yeah, he might ditch it, but in order for him to return to CCWS he'd need to hit lotto at the same time as Emmo does - and the odds for it happening are pretty slim...

zerO
Old 3 May 2004, 19:38 (Ref:959659)   #138
Mags
Veteran

Valiente - no ride. 12:38.
Old 3 May 2004, 20:16 (Ref:959717)   #139
Svenko
Rookie

Svenko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
good there are more deserving drivers than valiant.
Old 5 May 2004, 17:24 (Ref:961693)   #140
zerO
Veteran

Quote:
Hey Mags,
firstly - why is it that half the people can't get the name right ???

V A L I A N T E - with an "A" !!

and secondly, it doesn't mean that he still isn't considered as the #1 candidate for that seat - especially since Hemelgarn ditched his Indy effort and withdrew the entry yesterday, and MV was Walker's "pet project" since last year ?! (insert "idea" emoticon)

zerO
Old 5 May 2004, 17:29 (Ref:961701)   #141
zerO
Veteran

...besides, one just doesn't say the same story to everyone that calls (insert "idea" emoticon)

zerO
Old 5 May 2004, 17:34 (Ref:961711)   #142
Mags
Veteran

I hope you are right.
Old 5 May 2004, 18:25 (Ref:961784)   #143
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by zerO
Hey Mags,
firstly - why is it that half the people can't get the name right ???

V A L I A N T E - with an "A" !!

and secondly, it doesn't mean that he still isn't considered as the #1 candidate for that seat - especially since Hemelgarn ditched his Indy effort and withdrew the entry yesterday, and MV was Walker's "pet project" since last year ?! (insert "idea" emoticon)

zerO

Since Ron couldn't swing the $$$$ for an Indy effort when he already has a chassis that needs only an upgrade kit and a deal with Chevy (a company he has had a long-time relationship with)....

Where is he going to get the funds to run a Champ Car program or to pay his people for the rest of the season????

Don't tell me Walker is going to foot that bill....he didn't have the $$$ to run one car until right before Long Beach....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 5 May 2004, 22:21 (Ref:962043)   #144
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe that Himelgarn is a competent owner, and I am sure that he has something figured out. Perhaps the Walker deal was for the chassis, and that his team already in place, can fix the car up. He can get the parts that he needs from Walker.

But all of this just shows that the chassis manufactuers really need to get going and crank out some chassies for next year!
Old 5 May 2004, 22:27 (Ref:962049)   #145
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought Hemelgarn was going to "lease" two Reynards for $1 each from Forsythe....

But he still has to have the $$$ for engines, tires, fuel, personnel, someone to drive the car, etc...

He will have to have SOME money to run...and apparently, he didn't hav ethe money to run ONE race...Indy....

The math isn't adding up here....

I don't doubt that Hemelgarn will somehow work out something to race....

But I'm not holding my breath for the announcement to be made....because I don't expect him to be race ready before Milwaukee....and I don't think he has enough things pulled together to make an announcement soon...as in this week....

I could be wrong, but I don't think I am....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 5 May 2004, 22:43 (Ref:962057)   #146
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to reluctantly agree... if he wanted to race then something should have happened by now. At least some information as to when they are planning to race. Perhaps they will be a mid-season entry, but what will be the point then?
Old 6 May 2004, 01:00 (Ref:962131)   #147
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
It is not a question of availablilty so much as price - Lola doesn't sell many chassis for one dollar!!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 6 May 2004, 11:06 (Ref:962390)   #148
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The onyl fact right now for Hemelgarn is that he won't run the Indy 500 or any other IRL race. Nothign s definate for ChampCars, and it will cost money he currently doesn't have. Banding names like Bell and Melo around is one thign, but do these guys have the neccessary abcking? OWRS isn't obliged to get mroe cars into the grid now that they've reached 18.
Old 10 May 2004, 18:41 (Ref:966768)   #149
zerO
Veteran

btw, silly biased AutoWeek confirms some of the rumors = http://autoweek.com/cat_print.mv?content_code=09522848

zerO
Old 12 May 2004, 09:18 (Ref:968460)   #150
zerO
Veteran

oops

Last edited by zerO; 12 May 2004 at 09:21.