Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 28 Feb 2010, 20:16 (Ref:2642131)   #126
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
For those with Sky, try channel 190 Open Access 3. They are showing it now, LIVE!!!!!!!!! And without adverts either!

I just stumbled across this by accident when viewing the Sky TV guide for something to watch!

Last edited by Steve Tarrant; 28 Feb 2010 at 20:27.
Old 28 Feb 2010, 20:23 (Ref:2642139)   #127
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I wish I'd known about this earlier.
Old 28 Feb 2010, 20:27 (Ref:2642143)   #128
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I wish I'd known about this earlier.
Race only started 10 mins ago!
Old 28 Feb 2010, 20:35 (Ref:2642148)   #129
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Old 28 Feb 2010, 20:39 (Ref:2642155)   #130
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
we just had a quick break then it was back to the racing just like that
Old 28 Feb 2010, 23:03 (Ref:2642296)   #131
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
bizzarely - I actually miss the American adverts.
Cheesy, OTT & something to laugh at - better than just a silent splash screen.

See - the british can find something to complain about in anything, we wouldn't be happy if you gave us a brick of gold because it was too heavy.
Old 1 Mar 2010, 22:04 (Ref:2642954)   #132
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For instance, some Brits complain about complaining And I bet that if you had one gold brick someone would come along and give you another - blummin' typical

To tackle this coverage lack. Most of the above is said in the context of we are glad we can see it. However it is a step backwards.

Watching it on justintv. Well if that is the only choice. However it is very poor quality and not 100% reliable. Worth mentioning IMO.

The coverage on openaccess. It was live - great. Live is always best. However the bandwidth was poor and looked rubbish compared to most channels. When they had technical problems they took some time to sort it. Sky had problems in the past, but they had a fall back (the studio) and they were on it quicker (I suspect). It was a step backwards in coverage and worth highlighting. IMHO.

The coverage is now not in HD. The sights and sounds are part of the attraction of NASCAR (or most things!). They showed the highlights on sky sports in HD tonight - wow it looked great and made me enjoy it more. Certainly worth pointing out.

I am less likely to settle down on a Sunday night and watch NASCAR. The current coverage isn't even mediocre.

I'm not complaining that we have coverage. I'm just saying it could be better.
I'm not demanding it should be better even, I would just like it to be better.
Old 1 Mar 2010, 22:36 (Ref:2642980)   #133
Vernon Head
Rookie

Vernon Head should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you Sky.

That all true british NASCAR fans need to say!
Old 3 Mar 2010, 12:49 (Ref:2644005)   #134
2pac88
Rookie

2pac88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've read all the post's bout the coverage on open access.And to be honest,i don't see a prob with picture or sound.Maybe,it's cause i don't have hd(can't afford extra cost).All that's diff from nasn/setanta is don't have incar when adds in america come on.Cause i remember on both those channels.coverage got mucked around,loss picture.Also ads breaks did not always tie in with us ads.
All i would say to people complaining is,you can't love nascar as much as me.Cause is nothing wrong with coverage on open access.Sure,during pre race prog,and during some race had some tech/feed probs.But got to understand is live,and u will get probs from time to time.I've watched enough live sport on diff channels on sky,and they've had probs with live progs.After all sky,have probs with live nfl games.
Really,everyone should just be happy with having live races,even if on open access.So what if not in hd.Lot's people don't have hd.So,if not gonna watch cause not in hd.It's your loss.I'm just glad i don't have try watching online.As,was crap.Kept freezing.
Old 3 Mar 2010, 14:36 (Ref:2644084)   #135
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pac88 View Post
I've read all the post's bout the coverage on open access.And to be honest,i don't see a prob with picture or sound.Maybe,it's cause i don't have hd(can't afford extra cost).All that's diff from nasn/setanta is don't have incar when adds in america come on.Cause i remember on both those channels.coverage got mucked around,loss picture.Also ads breaks did not always tie in with us ads.
All i would say to people complaining is,you can't love nascar as much as me.Cause is nothing wrong with coverage on open access.Sure,during pre race prog,and during some race had some tech/feed probs.But got to understand is live,and u will get probs from time to time.I've watched enough live sport on diff channels on sky,and they've had probs with live progs.After all sky,have probs with live nfl games.
Really,everyone should just be happy with having live races,even if on open access.So what if not in hd.Lot's people don't have hd.So,if not gonna watch cause not in hd.It's your loss.I'm just glad i don't have try watching online.As,was crap.Kept freezing.
All I can say is well said. I was happy with the Open Access coverage and I enjoyed it until i was too knackered to carry on watching
Old 3 Mar 2010, 15:12 (Ref:2644102)   #136
zakeriath
Racer

Wales
Swansea
zakeriath should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you want to watch in HD, the race is covered the next day on Sky
Old 3 Mar 2010, 15:45 (Ref:2644118)   #137
acorn
Rookie

England
acorn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes, it is BUT it's only the highlights and that is what a lot of folk are peed off about. to go from 120+ hours per year of full race coverage to approx 40 hours of highlights and still have to pay the same sub is unacceptable and is why i'm in the process of dumping sky sports.
Old 3 Mar 2010, 16:29 (Ref:2644144)   #138
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah. How dare people want a HD broadcast. These people can't be true fans for wanting to see something they like in the best quality.

I don't have a HD TV and everyone else should suffer along with me.
Old 3 Mar 2010, 17:42 (Ref:2644191)   #139
Vernon Head
Rookie

Yep, I've had a good think about it, I'm not going to watch it now. I'm only going to watch HD programs from now on
Old 3 Mar 2010, 17:56 (Ref:2644202)   #140
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I realise a lot of folk are missing the point here. The main problem is not that the programme isn't presented in HD (although it should really be, considering it is filmed in bloody HD and the technology is widely in use now. For example, err, NASCAR a couple of weeks ago!) but that the coverage has taken a step down from what it was.

I'm sure all are happy that there is some form of coverage. But it is also allowable to dislike being taken back to the dark ages. It's a short step backwards from SD to black and white aerial images.

Anyone who has seen HD images regularly does not want to go back and that is understandable. We are supposed to progress in life, not walk backwards.
Old 3 Mar 2010, 18:10 (Ref:2644212)   #141
Vernon Head
Rookie

I know what your saying, but I'm sure the HD would cost more to transmit for 30k watching with no ads.

I would love to know whos paying for this, my guess would be NASCAR sold the races to thier sponsors as live in the UK, may be its NASCAR picking up the tab.
Old 3 Mar 2010, 19:12 (Ref:2644249)   #142
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quick lets just argue in black and white. Yes or No. Bugger good developing discussion. My go:
Yes, it is.

EDIT: Actually that is unfair.

Vernon, good question. Who is paying for this? This feels like a stop gap until someone proper takes it. Although as you say hardly anyone watches it.
Old 3 Mar 2010, 23:59 (Ref:2644490)   #143
Steevp
Racer

England
Cambridge
Steevp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A great stereo never made a bad song good, and HDTV will never make a dull race exciting..

I'm as happy as can be with free live coverage, doubly pleased that they show the hour long pre-show too.

-S.
Old 4 Mar 2010, 12:56 (Ref:2644780)   #144
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Who is paying for this? This feels like a stop gap until someone proper takes it. Although as you say hardly anyone watches it.
I think you're right it is a stop gap. As for who's paying for it I'd suggest it's one of two things.

NASCAR paying themselves as some wag talked them into getting involved really early on in Public Access Television (which will of course never succeed in the UK, but you're not exactly going to tell them that are you....)

Or a speculator in the hope that Sky or ESPN will come along and buy the channel or the rights off them.

Makes no commercial sense at all otherwise.
Old 4 Mar 2010, 13:33 (Ref:2644805)   #145
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting theories. My money's on a mix of the two. It wouldn't suprise me if Nascar or ESPN are funding or part-funding say the first five races. If viewing figures hold steady all of a sudden a subscription channel pops up. Otherwise, 'unanticipated commercial pressures' or somesuch lead to the coverage disappearing.

Am I the only one getting fed up with all the *****ing about the picture quality though? Granted it wasn't perfect, but it was no worse than watching a stream, something that a lot of us had resigned ourselves to until the OA deal.

Edit: Hmm, okay, the autocensor doesn't like the term for a female dog. I hope no-one ever tries to open a dog breeding thread in Parc Ferme - the system'll probably crash trying to cope with all the asterisks.

Last edited by Cynic; 4 Mar 2010 at 13:35. Reason: more griping
Old 4 Mar 2010, 14:05 (Ref:2644832)   #146
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why is nothing else ever on Open Access? I don't understand how they make any money

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 4 Mar 2010, 19:50 (Ref:2645058)   #147
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevp View Post
A great stereo never made a bad song good, and HDTV will never make a dull race exciting..
This is not an argument for not having HD. Unless you are saying NASCAR races are dull and you shouldn't watch them whatever the quality?

Stereo makes a good song better. Especially if it is by, say, the Beatles.
Those who think I am not a fan of NASCAR are mistaken. I like NASCAR so want to see it in the best possible quality. If you don't care what it looks like then you can't be much of a fan.

Except, of course, saying something like that misses the point just as much as the opposite. I'm happy that it is on, in any form. I must have typed that before. I'm sure I did. I am not female dogging about it. Just pointing out that it has taken a step backwards in coverage. It isn't just in terms of not being HD, it is poor quality for a standard channel. That has happened. And it is bad for us all. It was nice and shiney before; this change doesn't help attract people to NASCAR. It removes a reason to stay with it if you only have passing interest. If those with passing interest don't watch (to be fair they didn't anyway) then we don't get coverage. If we don't have quality coverage then the sport won't grow here and we will end up with a thread every year going "I wonder if it will on telly this year"? I don't want that.

At the very least, dropping it from Sky and putting it on Open Access shows that it isn't popular and the coverage is hanging by a thread.

Stop female dogging about people (not) female dogging about the coverage.

On a side issue, I get worried when people don't care about quality and settle for mediocrity. Even if it does explain a lot in this world.

Sorry folks, frustration crept in because the main point of my posts seemed to keep being missed. Apologises if that was not the case.

/rant over.

If NASCAR are paying for this (full or in part) that is positive for us. It must be for a commercial reason. Do they have something in the pipeline, but it is taking a long time to finalise.
I fell we are speculating a lot, but we don't have much to go on.
Old 4 Mar 2010, 20:50 (Ref:2645099)   #148
Vernon Head
Rookie

Passing intrest in NASCAR your havin a laf.

Passing intrest:- watch high lights for the crashes, a few motorsport fans in the UK.

Hard core (me):- sit and watch 2 hours of track repairs and get up late for work the next day. Find out theres a chanel I dident even know was there to watch on. 5k of UK population at best.

I can belive they found any passing trade there on 190, only a few teenagers looking for somthing a bit fruty on a Sunday evening.
Old 4 Mar 2010, 21:06 (Ref:2645109)   #149
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
It is doomed then.
Old 5 Mar 2010, 20:08 (Ref:2645746)   #150
Tainan
Racer

United Kingdom
Sussex
Tainan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Prefer it on Open Access to Sky - its saving me about £15 / month.