Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 25 Aug 2001, 16:40 (Ref:135759)   #126
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Check out my Lexus>http://www.aiex57.care4free.net/My%2...LEXUSRCCAR.jpg<

The drawings a bit rough looking! It looks better 'non-virtual'.
I may add in a bit of red or orange, y-know, brighten it up a bit. I've not given up on the BTC-T lexus paint job, but I was wondering: why give the Evening Standard free advertising?

I'll see if any of my relatives(who own businesses), want to put their logo on it, for a few quid of course.

I'm aiming to get my Peugeot 406 re-sprayed on Tuesday night, that's when I'll next be in the model shop. Then I think I'll get the Lexus in October, unless someone can loan me money.
Old 26 Aug 2001, 12:56 (Ref:136038)   #127
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have an idea, why don't you do a B&Q Lexus?
I am doing a couple of R/C Ford Capris for my Dads friends (www.go4itracing.freeserve.co.uk) so they can have a play at a race meeting, and impress potential sponsors. I am sure John B&Q can arrange some B&Q stickers and free stuff. Maybe he could use your talents on the grid at next years Knockhill BTCC meeting to good effect.

Seriously, many real drivers use R/C cars such as Frank Biela (1990 Euro 1/12th Champ), J-P Montoya (nitro cars), Mika Hakkinen (1/12th F1) and Colin McRae.

Last edited by Hobson; 26 Aug 2001 at 12:58.
Old 26 Aug 2001, 14:55 (Ref:136080)   #128
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeh, I heard at some big national meetings there are 'scouts' looking out for the talented drivers.
Old 27 Aug 2001, 11:59 (Ref:136417)   #129
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am on a trial for my local model shop, Access Models. If I do well at my local club, and get into a high final in a national meeting, then the shop will sponsor me for £150 for a new radio set, £100 for batteries, £100 for motors and a load of Access Models decals.
The shop logo is here: www.accessmodels.co.uk
Old 27 Aug 2001, 15:34 (Ref:136539)   #130
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Arggh! Why does everything go wrong when you are finally trying to get it to go???

I got my reciever fixed(my neighbour soldered it with a really small soldering iron), and he also soldered one of the wires that go on to the Speed controller back on.

But then, what do I do when I put them back on? I didn't connect the wires right to the ceramic heat burner thingy(when not all the current is going to the motor), and my car just stopped dead in a test run.

The speed controller was really, really hot, and I mean hot! The wires to the motor came off because of the heat, and that is why my car was not going. Plus my transmitter aerial managed to snap in half. i am not that lucky this week.

Good luck in your trials Hobson. Is that a national competition you have to compete in all the time for their sponserhip?
Old 27 Aug 2001, 21:24 (Ref:136711)   #131
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
hobson, my future club has got its pictures updated. I picked out this one here in particular for something. http://www.arccc.freeuk.com/html/neal.jpg See it yet?

I was thinking of doing the St Andrews flag on top too!

Check out the photos section of the site(www.arccc.freeuk.com). I thought the guy said some of these were ragged shells! Boy do I want a decent motor...
Old 28 Aug 2001, 21:25 (Ref:137265)   #132
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Yet another problem has cropped up. All of the above have been fixed.

My speed controller is buggered!
The wires from it to the motor are now getting extremely hot, (like it actually made them fall off!! ), and there is no heat being produced at the 'ceramic thingy', you know the bit that extra current is diverted to? I can't see any problems just looking at it, I think the motor may be drawing a large current, oh, I dunno!

Can you help me Hobson?

Last edited by touringlegend; 28 Aug 2001 at 21:28.
Old 1 Sep 2001, 10:17 (Ref:139524)   #133
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
I go on holiday for one week and look what happens!

I don't have to do all the rounds of the championship, but every one helps!

The 'ceramic thingy' as you excellently put it is the resistor. It draws off unwanted current as heat. you can tell if it is broken by checking for cracks in it, or by small black spots at each end.

The St Andrews design is good, maybe not on the roof, but the whole shell?
Old 1 Sep 2001, 11:23 (Ref:139569)   #134
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
I wondered where you'd got to!

My resistor I don't think looks broken to me, I am going to see if this can be sorted today(I hope my local shop has all the supplys in stock!!!).

I 're-sprayed' my 406 on Tuesday, It's now looking 100 times better(ie - you can't see through it now!)

I was thinking of doing the design on the whole shell, or each panel individually. Did you notice the car in that picture is a Lexus???
Old 2 Sep 2001, 14:29 (Ref:140068)   #135
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
I did see that it was a Lexus, the HPI one. I like that BMW too.
Old 2 Sep 2001, 17:16 (Ref:140210)   #136
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Well, I went to the shop, it was my speed controller that was wrong, bought a new one 10 quid.

I was also very embaressed too. The guy in the shop said my car was 'one of the worst he had ever seen, because the bottom is all scratched from it bottoming out(especially on my dads uneven paving), and the battery was 'potentially flammable'! My car is bad, but don't rub it in mate. I now feel my cars inadequate. See why I prefer using a shop away in bloomin Kent? I'll be using them from now on...

I was like, I only have it for fun, I don't lick it clean every time it gets dirty!! I nearly said 'talk to the duck, cos' I don't give a.....

What was ten quid turned into 15 quid, then 26 quid. I think the buggers were at it! I now have a battery that is 1500maH, but my car now runs fast for not even a mintute, then drops in power, but the speed goes up and down.

Tommorrow night is not going to be my first race, I will go though to 'spy' on all the other cars, and see if everyone is nice enough.
Old 3 Sep 2001, 08:47 (Ref:140507)   #137
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Well, you live and learn.

You car must be in pretty bad shape for him to say that! At my club, the Tamiyas are usually scratched, so yours is no different.

What cost £16? The battery? If it was then that shop is very expensive! The last time I got 1500's, I paid £10.99 each. Very good practice batteries for me as I usually use 2000maH, or 2400maH.
Old 3 Sep 2001, 16:20 (Ref:140658)   #138
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
£12.99 Hobson

he also told me that a lot of folk coem in with Mechanical Speed controlers, and want their car to go fast, and they want a bigger motor, but he tells them the motor will just eat up the speed controller. Their cheapest ESC was £40.
Old 4 Sep 2001, 06:38 (Ref:140995)   #139
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
What he said is 100% true. The mechanical speedo can only handle about 21 turn motor or higher. Most ESC have no limit, so you can use possibly an 8 turn motor if you could afford it!
Old 4 Sep 2001, 16:45 (Ref:141209)   #140
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
8 turn motor!!!!

I'd never be able to handle that sort of speed!
Old 5 Sep 2001, 06:29 (Ref:141568)   #141
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
An 8 turn motor would give you about 55-60 mph depending on the car......
Old 5 Sep 2001, 17:16 (Ref:141944)   #142
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
..Great for breaking the speed limits on roads, and you could just keep flying past the speed camera, and the police wouldn't know who it was!!!!
Old 6 Sep 2001, 06:40 (Ref:142285)   #143
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Only one problem......an 8 turn motor costs £52.50!

I am saving up for the ultimate motor now- a bushless motor and speed contoller. Instead of having the armature spinning in the motor, the magnets spin so it doesn't need brushes.
Old 15 Sep 2001, 09:56 (Ref:146456)   #144
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
My ****ty one costs 10 quid! I'm expecting to start racing next week.
Old 15 Sep 2001, 13:24 (Ref:146492)   #145
Herminator
Racer

Herminator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello TouringLegend, where abouts in Scotland are you? Sounds like you could have a good track, I'm in Glasgow and have to travel to East Kilbride to a track in a school gym. Nice guys there but the track is small and very slippy, dusty wood. Not easy to learn on, although I do well when I don't try too hard.

My current problem is a motor that keeps seperating at any side knock. This was caused by the long straight wich has a very tricky right hander, which cam sometimes be taken ver fast but often you end up sliding wide, which I often do and slam very hard into a wall, sideways. Now the tabs just don't click in well enough on the end of the motor. This is on my RS4 Sport 2.

Last edited by Herminator; 15 Sep 2001 at 13:30.
Old 16 Sep 2001, 11:23 (Ref:146902)   #146
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hello Herminator!

I am the 'Tech Expert' as touringlegend will tell you .

I think I can solve your motor problem. You say that the tabs don't click in well enough. I guess you are using a stock motor in your Sport 2 (BTW, very good car!), as it has tabs. The tabs hold the armature and endbell in place and if they get damaged, the motor falls apart. The only solution is a new motor.

I hope this solves your problems.
Old 16 Sep 2001, 11:58 (Ref:146911)   #147
Herminator
Racer

Herminator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was hoping yu wouldn't say that, atleast I don't have to buy expensive motors, as the club only runs 27turn motors and it's too slippy to run anything faster. What do you think to using a dab of thread lock around the joint to hold it place. I don't know how this will with stand the heat though, coz running indoors makes everyones motors get too hot to touch.
Old 16 Sep 2001, 13:27 (Ref:146926)   #148
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
I thought I replied to you yesterday Herminator. :confused:

I am in Ayrshire, Herminator, and I'll back up what Hobson has said, he is the Tech-Expert indeed!
Nice to see someone else rather than just Hobson and I in this thread!
Old 17 Sep 2001, 06:31 (Ref:147321)   #149
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Threadlock will just melt under the heat.

Tell your friends that this thread exisits here, so we can get as many people as possible posting here. I will need to start a new thread soon as we're on the last page here.
Old 18 Sep 2001, 22:28 (Ref:148115)   #150
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Well what can I say - it was banger racing!!! It was unbelievable the amount of nutters at the rc night, last night. But I suppose banging into each other is not bad for 8 yr olds! It was really terrible....

There were four classes - A, B, C & D, A being the best - D being the 'worst'. They all had 4 heats in each category, and a final race - so 5 batteries to be bought, or around that. I was really impressed by the clubs organistion, and their timing system(AMB), and a lot of the members cars, notably A & B classes.

There were a good few flips, I recall one car went about 4 feet in the air after hitting the track marking, which was a strap like material. And a lot also just went straight on over the corner, or into the brick wall!!!

Last night there were 30 odd drivers there, the biggest at a winter meeting so far. It was also a championship round, which are held every few weeks, and 7 out of 10 rounds count towards your championship position. The next is on the 1st October, but I reckon I'll have my car up and running for the round after that - the 22nd October.

After looking at the quality of the cars, I have decided that a new car is on the cards - it was my mum who suggested it first, so that's more or less a go-ahead for a brand new car!! As she said to me you don't want to be racing with the 8 yr olds do you? (They had TL01's!)

So Hobson, what are your reccomendations? I am just forgetting about my old car right now, just pretending that I am starting afresh.
I have spent between 2-3 hours(bloody hell!!!) tonight on the 'net looking at the HPI site, and I was thinking about the HPI RS4 Sport 2. I see you've got one Herminator, so is it good?

I can't wait till I get all my money!