Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 5 Apr 2009, 16:17 (Ref:2434373)   #126
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Yep
Old 5 Apr 2009, 16:43 (Ref:2434395)   #127
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Great debut for Adam
Old 5 Apr 2009, 16:47 (Ref:2434398)   #128
MikeH
Racer

Scotland
Perth
MikeH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brilliant for Adam. Shame it was the Jason Plato ITV Extraveganza with occasional other drivers all day - they barely ever showed anything happening outside of the top five and of course Plato.
#68 - 2009 SMRC Scottish Legends Championship.
Old 5 Apr 2009, 18:13 (Ref:2434454)   #129
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
for a day that started so badly for Jonny with the incident with jelley it certainly ended well, yes the move on plato was robust but if the boot was on the other foot it would have been the same. Jonny deserved that win and couldnt have happened to a nicer guy

well done Jonny Adam 1st win of many
Old 5 Apr 2009, 18:21 (Ref:2434460)   #130
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adam has been stripped of his win by the stewards for tapping Plato into the slide at Paddock Hill Bend. Plato is the winner of race 3, Airwaves BMW have chosen not to appeal the decision.
Old 5 Apr 2009, 18:21 (Ref:2434461)   #131
MikeH
Racer

Scotland
Perth
MikeH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by aland View Post
well done Jonny Adam 1st win of many
Except he's been penalised for the Plato incident. Can't hit TOCA's messiah perhaps? Pure madness given that it clearly wasn't intentional - Matt Neal pushed people out of the way 4 or 5 times all day and wasn't penalised once.
#68 - 2009 SMRC Scottish Legends Championship.
Old 5 Apr 2009, 18:32 (Ref:2434471)   #132
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Couldn't find a Clio Cup thread, but I was just wondering if there has been any news on Stephen Tyldsley at all? Had a nasty little bump through the Clark Curve and was seriously dazed and went off to Hospital.
Old 5 Apr 2009, 18:54 (Ref:2434476)   #133
btcckid
Racer

United Kingdom
england
btcckid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeH View Post
Except he's been penalised for the Plato incident. Can't hit TOCA's messiah perhaps? Pure madness given that it clearly wasn't intentional - Matt Neal pushed people out of the way 4 or 5 times all day and wasn't penalised once.

good point there
Old 5 Apr 2009, 19:06 (Ref:2434490)   #134
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Victory for Plato gives more publicity....
Old 5 Apr 2009, 19:13 (Ref:2434498)   #135
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Are the BTCC stewards taking tips from F1?

The commentators said that by defending the line, Plato was braking early which caused Adam to approach the corner faster.
Plato himself didn't seem too fussed post-race. Why the need to strip a well-deserved win from someone who tried to avoid the accident, but was given no room for maneuver from the car in front?
Old 5 Apr 2009, 19:24 (Ref:2434513)   #136
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
What a crock. Just watching the coverage now and you can clearly see Plato lock a brake before Adam hit him.

In race one Jelley overtook Plato at Paddock but as they approached Druids Plato just drove into the back of the BMW pushed it wide and retook the place. I don't think the TV caught it but that was why Jelley had no rear bumper.

The BTCC doesn't need this.
Old 5 Apr 2009, 19:49 (Ref:2434531)   #137
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeH View Post
The rear three-quarter tap perfected by Neal is seen as fair game in the BTCC, but the full on smack up the rear isn't. Adam deserved a penalty for it, but I'm pleased he was only demoted to 2nd.
Old 5 Apr 2009, 19:58 (Ref:2434540)   #138
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If someone brakes earlier than expected, heavily enough to lock a wheel, then what can you do?

Adam tried his hardest to 'get out of it'.
I'm not saying Adam's 100% innocent, but if he is to be punished, then maybe at least half a dozen drivers deserve a penalty today?
Old 5 Apr 2009, 20:08 (Ref:2434549)   #139
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Usual driving standards all day really - Collard should have been penalised for his 'move' on Turkington, that was just a punt up the rear. Plato should have been done for his punt on Jelley, Neal should have been hauled up on multiple counts and those were just the ones I saw from being at Druids. Have to admit though - I quite enjoyed the sight of Plato being punted

On the plus side there was action all the way through the field with some good (and even clean ) battles going on throughout the field. Leason looked to be closer to the pace in the last race of the day (relative to where he was in the 1st race) and I thought Vaulkhard did well in the 2nd race - he was hanging on to Plato quite well.
Old 5 Apr 2009, 20:08 (Ref:2434550)   #140
Penguin
Rookie

Penguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
If someone brakes earlier than expected, heavily enough to lock a wheel, then what can you do?

Adam tried his hardest to 'get out of it'.
I'm not saying Adam's 100% innocent, but if he is to be punished, then maybe at least half a dozen drivers deserve a penalty today?
Plato didn't break early, if you were actually standing at Paddock you would of seen him locking the brakes pretty much every lap. Locking the inside rear wheel is certainly not uncommon either.
Old 5 Apr 2009, 20:20 (Ref:2434559)   #141
Aunt Sally
Veteran

Aunt Sally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Usual driving standards all day really - Collard should have been penalised for his 'move' on Turkington, that was just a punt up the rear.
That was just a reponse to Turkington turning Collard sidewards to get past him in the same place in the first race! If you were at Druids you would have seen it?
Old 5 Apr 2009, 20:27 (Ref:2434567)   #142
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I'm sure the stewards will have checked the telemetry. I'm not slating Adam, he just made a mistake and I think it's fair that the positions were reversed.
Old 5 Apr 2009, 20:33 (Ref:2434571)   #143
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wasn't at Brands today, in fact its the first time I have missed a BTCC round at Brands since the champ car round in 2003. But I did catch all three races on TV and we did see some good racing, but we did see some really bad driving.

Mr Neal in race 1 he appear to be tapping everyone in sight, Collard in Race 2, I agree with BertMk2 there should have been some sort of pently after his move on Turkington. As for the Plato/Adam clash dear I say a racing incident (but it was a great save from Plato)
Old 5 Apr 2009, 20:36 (Ref:2434575)   #144
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Sally View Post
That was just a reponse to Turkington turning Collard sidewards to get past him in the same place in the first race! If you were at Druids you would have seen it?
I didn't see the contact with that one - I thought Collard made the mistake on his own?
Old 5 Apr 2009, 20:48 (Ref:2434586)   #145
StephNET
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
StephNET should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

As someone mentioned earlier. Stephen Tyldsley was in a bit of a nasty hit on Clark curve. The air ambulance was called in for him, but they, at the last minute used a road ambulance instead. Has anyone heard anything new on his condition. It must have been quite serious for the medical team to call in the air ambulance?
Old 5 Apr 2009, 21:13 (Ref:2434601)   #146
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got back from Brands earlier.
Druids you say Bert? Must have been sat near you!
Collard did bully Turkington out of the way to be fair, didnt see Neal punt that much, but havent seen it on tv yet.
Thought the races of the day were the G50s! Cracking action, especially with Freeke and his bonnet calamaties, some poor driving, but close action all the same.
I had no idea about the Clio driver, the commentry was poor all day to be fair, normally its very good at Brands, but today was not up to its usual high standard i thought.
All in all a good day, nice to see Motorbase win, and i think it is good for the series for Plato to do well, any publicity is good surely and chevvys first win for ages is all good!
Leason and Johnson did well i thought with only the Focus's disapointing me a bit with their pace.
And didnt Gio have a mare?!?
Simon
Old 6 Apr 2009, 02:13 (Ref:2434756)   #147
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Being stuck in work all day ruled out any chance I had of seeing the races, but from what I've been reading, it sounds as if there was an excessive amount of bumper-car tactics going on...?

Nice strong weekend for Turkington with a P2, P3 and P4 - as he said himself, it's his strongest start to a season that he can rememeber. Fingers crossed for the rest of the year!

Old 6 Apr 2009, 06:26 (Ref:2434807)   #148
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
Plato didn't break early, if you were actually standing at Paddock you would of seen him locking the brakes pretty much every lap. Locking the inside rear wheel is certainly not uncommon either.
It wasn't just my view that Plato braked early.
Tim Harvey (who otherwise thought Plato was the Messiah) indicated that Plato had braked early and was partially responsible for the accident.
I'll trust his experience and the benefit he had of TV replays.

Admittedly Plato did lock his rear wheels often, it's just that in the Adam incident he was defending the inside line which requires earlier braking than normal.
Old 6 Apr 2009, 08:23 (Ref:2434850)   #149
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Adam was maybe just a bit hot-headed. He should have seen that he was clearly faster and didnt need to take Plato after he punted him (his fault or Plato's) - he would have had him the next couple of laps anyway.

But how Matt Neal gets away with, and I quote Mike Jordan, "The Matt Neal Move" into Clearways lap after lap is beyond me. I thought BTCC was a non-contact sport? Unbelievable. Any fool with a car he is not paying for can do that, but it takes real driving talent to make a clear move. Sadly, Matt is found wanting in that area.

All in all, the Ginetta Juniors showed more discipline and cleaner overtaking than the BTCC; they should be ashamed.

That said, thouroughly enjoyed the great day's action!!
Old 6 Apr 2009, 08:34 (Ref:2434857)   #150
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
All in all, the Ginetta Juniors showed more discipline and cleaner overtaking than the BTCC; they should be ashamed.
Not on Saturday they didn't. One of the back markers was being lapped by the leaders when he just turned in on them and wiped out another car. Luckily everyone else managed to avoid the wreckage but it could have easily taken out half the field.