Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Closed Thread

Old 10 Jul 2009, 12:49 (Ref:2498949)   #126
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green View Post
I got my invitation in this mornings post
What's the local equivalent of the mad priest? If he turns up, be sure to be ready for him.

Whatever selection criteria is used, there's going to be winners and losers. It's a shame for those with exemplery credentials who don't get selected for whatever reason, but there's going to be an element of luck of the draw about it. Just send good wishes to those who did get selected and move on. If you're really concerned about it, then a polite letter to the club is the right course of action. If anyone starts complaining on here it's going to make us all look bad. It's a wonderful opportunity for british marshalling to showcase itself on a different stage and I'm looking forward to seeing them do it brilliantly (as usual) and coming back with a fund of stories and hopefully some sunburn to make the rest of us feel better!

Some of us weren't even asked... (and no, I'm not bothered about the selection criteria for the initial invites either)
Old 10 Jul 2009, 12:59 (Ref:2498953)   #127
sinex
Rookie

United Kingdom
Eastleigh
sinex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Me and my partner got our letters this morning advising that we had not been accepted.

Not the 1st time I've applied to marshal abroad and not the first time I've had the standard reply.

well done to those accepted and fly the flag for British Marshals.
Old 10 Jul 2009, 13:24 (Ref:2498963)   #128
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
It's going to take 3-4 days for the letters to arrive so there's always to morrow's post to look forward to!
Old 10 Jul 2009, 13:38 (Ref:2498968)   #129
Motorsportgirli
Racer

England
Hornsea
Motorsportgirli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
See you there then Stephen Another ten tenther

I looked at it like a one of those put ya name and address forward competitions, you've got to be in it to win it. My Mum is disapointed she hasnt had a letter but like she said if she didnt put in she would never know. My week has been suprisingly good and my other half has informed me that i need to put a couple of lottery tickets on the way im going

Oh can we put a ban on white socks and sandals whilst out there (there was some shocking examples onthe campsite at the British GP)
Old 10 Jul 2009, 13:49 (Ref:2498974)   #130
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if "not accepted" letters are going out then thats a really good sign and a really good idea. It takes the guess work out of it all, so no news is definitely good news and thanks to BARC for getting back to everyone who put their name forward
Old 10 Jul 2009, 14:23 (Ref:2498983)   #131
haystacks
Veteran

England
Sittingbourne Kent
haystacks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congrats, Mike and Nick, see you at the airport. Oh Petes got an invite to. Also he,s not a BARC member.
Old 10 Jul 2009, 14:43 (Ref:2498997)   #132
SRPhoto
Veteran

Wales
Wrexham
SRPhoto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic View Post
if "not accepted" letters are going out then thats a really good sign and a really good idea. It takes the guess work out of it all, so no news is definitely good news and thanks to BARC for getting back to everyone who put their name forward

BMMC Member since Oct 2001
Marshalled my first Rally on 9th March 2002 (Malcolm Wilson Rally)
Marshalled my first Race on 6th April 2002 (750MC - Oulton Park)
Marshalled my first British F1 GP 18th/20th July 2003
Old 10 Jul 2009, 16:49 (Ref:2499053)   #133
graham-ne
Rookie

United Kingdom
darlington
graham-ne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
anyone know if we are gona get dear john letters ???
Old 10 Jul 2009, 16:54 (Ref:2499055)   #134
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by graham-ne View Post
anyone know if we are gona get dear john letters ???
See post #127.

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 10 Jul 2009, 18:36 (Ref:2499097)   #135
The Hat
Rookie

England
Canterbury
The Hat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Degerlund View Post
Nexus, the intention of the AD GP trip is to train up the local marshals in running a GP, which may be difficult if there is no previous GP experience. Every year there are "new" marshals included for the British GP.
Not this year!!!!!!!

If Barc were only selecting marshals with previous GP experience, why send out invitations to everyone? What a total waste of everyones time & money!!!!
Twice this year invitations have been sent out to me which I replied to, only to find out that I hadn't a cat in hell's chance of being selected. We spend our hard earned cash on getting to circuits to stand in the cold & wet, & they get us to waste more money on stamps, envelopes etc, not to mention how much the club has wasted in postage, stationary & manhours sorted through useless replies.

If we can't do a GP until we have GP experience, there will come a time when us lesser mortals will give up applying, then what will happen.
As an outsider from this exlusive club, what is so different about marshalling a GP? I've done A1GP, WTC, BTCC, DTM, both Goodwoods & countless small club meetings (when others haven't turned up because of the weather), so, who can answer ther question, "What is so special about a GP?

Rant over.

Congratulations to all those picked.
Old 10 Jul 2009, 18:50 (Ref:2499102)   #136
gwar
Racer

gwar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got our dear john letters this morning....never mind (we knew we had little or no hope) but you have to be in it to win it.
Good luck lads and lasses do britain proud.
Old 10 Jul 2009, 18:52 (Ref:2499103)   #137
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hat View Post
If Barc were only selecting marshals with previous GP experience, why send out invitations to everyone? What a total waste of everyones time & money!!!!
Twice this year invitations have been sent out to me which I replied to, only to find out that I hadn't a cat in hell's chance of being selected. We spend our hard earned cash on getting to circuits to stand in the cold & wet, & they get us to waste more money on stamps, envelopes etc, not to mention how much the club has wasted in postage, stationary & manhours sorted through useless replies.
Who forced you to apply? My personal stance on this is that I estimated my chances of being accepted at, for many reasons, around zero, but I applied on the basis that, as my old granny used to say, 'them as don't ask don't get'; I won't be disappointed when the 'Dear John' letter arrives!

If BARC had only sent out invitations to people they knew had previous GP experience, or selected without giving the opportunity to everyone on their database, then accusations of 'elitism', favouritism', 'old pals' act' etc, etc, may have been justified. As it is, a difficult task has been done in a reasonably equable fashion.

Life's too short to live on a diet of sour grapes. . .
Old 10 Jul 2009, 19:17 (Ref:2499111)   #138
mike m
Rookie

mike m should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Letter came yesterday saying that I had been selected. Holiday from work booked today. Room share sorted. Experienced marshal with experience of 3 GP's. BARC member. Thank you BARC
Old 10 Jul 2009, 19:17 (Ref:2499112)   #139
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
All I can add to the question is that I am a BARC member, have recent GP experience but haven't been accepted either. So there isn't a bias towards having these requirements either.
Old 10 Jul 2009, 19:36 (Ref:2499130)   #140
BAP
Rookie

Wales
Port Talbot
BAP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Just want to say, I've only done two GP's but with several years as a Pembrey Marshal, got to be versatile there, and doing incident, flag and observer; I think that as stood me in good stead. So thanks to Ernie and BARC I say
Old 10 Jul 2009, 19:48 (Ref:2499136)   #141
mike m
Rookie

mike m should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just slightly off topic, BUT, after having travelled to Egypt earlier this year and having to have some vaccines ie Typhoid and Hepatitas 'A' it will pay for those selected to check with thier GP's whether any bosters are required before travelling to UAE.
Old 10 Jul 2009, 20:09 (Ref:2499150)   #142
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike m View Post
Just slightly off topic, BUT, after having travelled to Egypt earlier this year and having to have some vaccines ie Typhoid and Hepatitas 'A' it will pay for those selected to check with thier GP's whether any bosters are required before travelling to UAE.
The website that I just checked says the following about vaccinations for the UAE.

Hepatitis A - recommended - 2 weeks prior to travel.

The following are all "sometimes recomended" i.e. if you travel a lot or intend to spend extended time in the country (vaccination prior to travel in brackets) Diptheria (3 months), T.B,.(3 months), Hepatitis B (2 months), Rabies (1 month).

Ensure that your Tetanus and Polio vaccinations are up to date.

Typhoid, Meningococcal meningitis, Yellow fever, Japanese Encephalitis andTick-borne encephalitis vacinations not required.

There is also no risk of malaria in the country.

Hope this helps guys and gals. See the lucky ones on the plane.

Old 10 Jul 2009, 20:24 (Ref:2499161)   #143
Ianwales
Rookie

Wales
Llanelli
Ianwales should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all

Just a query for those of us who have never marshalled abroad before, do we need an overseas permit or something from the MSA?

Ian
Old 10 Jul 2009, 20:40 (Ref:2499167)   #144
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianwales View Post
Hi all

Just a query for those of us who have never marshalled abroad before, do we need an overseas permit or something from the MSA?

Ian
Dont quote me on this, but a letter of acceptance from the MSA is when you plan to go abroad.
But this is being organised by an MSA registered club, so the rules are slightly different.
no doubt someone on here can be more specific with details
Old 10 Jul 2009, 21:05 (Ref:2499178)   #145
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakeriath View Post
Gary,

most of the Pembrey group are going out of Heathrow, its closer by over a hour & a half. We are thinking of hiring a mini bus, but will discuss next meet at Pembrey.
Hey guys,can you add me to the list of interested parties regarding the mini bus
Cheers,Martyn

As for room sharing....is it going to be the short straw method ?
Old 10 Jul 2009, 21:15 (Ref:2499182)   #146
Caramba
Rookie

Wales
Swansea
Caramba should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandslammer View Post
Hey guys,can you add me to the list of interested parties regarding the mini bus
Cheers,Martyn

As for room sharing....is it going to be the short straw method ?
I'd be interested in the Pembrey minibus as well if it happens.

Cheers, Mark
Old 10 Jul 2009, 21:23 (Ref:2499185)   #147
Broom pusher
Rookie

Wales
Bridgend
Broom pusher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakeriath View Post
Gary,

most of the Pembrey group are going out of Heathrow, its closer by over a hour & a half. We are thinking of hiring a mini bus, but will discuss next meet at Pembrey.
Contacted BARC today to change to Heathrow.
Mini bus great idea count me in .
so how many Pembrey guys n gals are going .Make it 6 but maths aint my strong point
Old 10 Jul 2009, 21:35 (Ref:2499186)   #148
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broom pusher View Post
Contacted BARC today to change to Heathrow.
Mini bus great idea count me in .
so how many Pembrey guys n gals are going .Make it 6 but maths aint my strong point
I know that Andy and Mark Hadley who live an hours drive north of Pembrey have also been selected. Don't think they use this forum but if you PM me I can send you their telephone number. Ernie should have their contact details as well.

Old 10 Jul 2009, 22:05 (Ref:2499198)   #149
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gachjoel View Post
Dont quote me on this, but a letter of acceptance from the MSA is when you plan to go abroad.
But this is being organised by an MSA registered club, so the rules are slightly different.
no doubt someone on here can be more specific with details
The MSA letter is an open letter to the motorsport authority / organising club in the country you are visiting, confirming that the MSA recognise that you are registered as a marshal [it doesn't specify grade/discipline], and that they have no objections to you applying & working at their event in this capacity.

In this case, we are not volunteering to the organising club in Abu Dhabi, so the letter should not be required (which is good, because I've 'mislaid' my copy after Long Beach ).

If though, for example, you didn't get chosen by BARC but applied directly to the local organising club, you would need the letter (but to be fair, I don't think I've ever been asked for it in the times I've marshalled abroad).

Hope this helps,
Al.
Old 10 Jul 2009, 22:24 (Ref:2499207)   #150
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Green View Post
applied directly to the local organising club, you would need the letter
This is going off topic, but you don't need any such thing. You're a volunteer, you're entitled to volunteer to wherever you wish. If you're representing British marshalling it might be nice to have approval, and a letter might help you to get in (although with what the MSA know about marshalling I can't see it's relevent). If however, you're just a marshal being yourself and wishing to volunteer to do any event anywhere, then go for it. It's no business of the MSA what you do!

Sorry, bugbear of mine. I now return you to the topic.