Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 Dec 2010, 01:34 (Ref:2800150)   #126
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
thanks to lukeyson, a nice little video

hope it doesnt upset you too much Bevan
Old 6 Dec 2010, 01:42 (Ref:2800154)   #127
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How did the event compare the 2009 edition?
Old 6 Dec 2010, 01:44 (Ref:2800156)   #128
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
As a POM, I struggle to understand why people get so excited over Ford/GM. When I was at Surfers I was asked which side I supported. My answer? I drive a Beemer...
I would have shook your hand. Great taste (but dont tell the aussies how much better german cars are.....lol)
Old 6 Dec 2010, 02:30 (Ref:2800169)   #129
MarkInTheStands
Racer

Australia
Lalor Park
MarkInTheStands should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
How did the event compare the 2009 edition?
As an event, it was fantastic this seemed to run far smoother than the 2009 event.

There are still some things that could be fixed and indeed from all reports crowd numbers are down, still there were a large number of people there.

I regularly go to Events at ANZ Stadium, as I am a gold member at the Venue. I have gotten pretty good at guessing crowd numbers at the venue. I would have said for the Concert on Saturday night, there would have been easily over 40,000 people there, Judging by how full the open sections of the bowl seating section were. That is without the to open Level 4's which hold 3,000 each looking half full and at least half of the Eastern Side private boxes were in use on level 4 and 75% full for the Level 2 bowl section.

But for the Friday and Saturday I was there, the Atmosphere was great both in the Stands and on the ground, Not a lot of issue from what I saw apart from the need to shade some of the grandstands.

Personally, I could see there was less seating, but then again looking at Ticketek the day before the Event, all but 2 Grandstands were sold out. But I would say there was defiantly less people without a Grand Stand pass, but still plenty of people in the precinct.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 02:49 (Ref:2800179)   #130
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muznik View Post
Well..here's one Holden fan thats humble enough to say Congrats James on the Championship.

He certainly did it the hard way with team infighting, low budget & on track dramas to boot!

Bad luck to Whincup, I dont think he, himself, could have done anymore to win it. i think T8 let it slip through their fingers.
I must say poor form to Roland Dane at the start of today's telecast.
Sour grapes much?
From another Holden fan, congratulations to JC and DJR for a well deserved win.
When JC crumpled that bonnet of his late in the race, i thought that he might be in trouble, however he did what he had to do....GOOD JOB !
Old 6 Dec 2010, 03:19 (Ref:2800184)   #131
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
thanks to lukeyson, a nice little video

hope it doesnt upset you too much Bevan

I am appalled! Do they have any idea how much that smoke is damaging the ozone????? I wish this motorsport would stop... theres no need to have the cars so loud, and pop/bang on the gearchanges!!!!!

Think of how many trees they could have planted rather than build a race track once a year!!!!

I have just sent a letter off to the RTA and Police to have Jim Beam Racing investigated for hooning, speeding and also drink driving... how do we know the drivers were not consuming Jim Beam during the race???? were they breath tested????

This was clearly an example of tax payers money being wasted..... they can be lucky this was not on ABC or I would have it off the air in no time!
Old 6 Dec 2010, 04:26 (Ref:2800195)   #132
Ricky Bobby
Racer

Australia
Ricky Bobby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
I can only assume he accurately checked his spelling, because the closest word (traitor) doesn't refer to JC in anyway......

Dictionary didn't have anymore help either. Unless you know of a word i overlooked?
That's part of your many problems...You assume too much.

Quote:
I'm sorry, some people here have made it clear they cant handle the truth. I'd rather not spoil their fantasy
Pfft...The truth...According to who?
Old 6 Dec 2010, 04:52 (Ref:2800197)   #133
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
That's part of your many problems...You assume too much.

Pfft...The truth...According to who?
JC isn't a 'traitor', so thats not the word he was looking for. Unless he's one because rumours are he's leaving DJR, but what about the 900 other driver changed throughout history, seems only certain ones are 'traitors' and the others are 'good riddance' (Pretty sure i didn't see a single word mentioned about Richo being a traitor when he left PE for FPV )

So your saying that James courtney did indeed drive an FG Falcon identicle to that i drove past on my way to work? THAT truth, they'd like to keep pretending theres falcons and commodores in this series (for what reason i still dont know)

Wonder if they'll finally accept it after the nascar-esq COTF comes in in 2012, or if they'll continue to live in denial.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 05:54 (Ref:2800206)   #134
MarkInTheStands
Racer

Australia
Lalor Park
Quote:
JC isn't a 'traitor', so thats not the word he was looking for. Unless he's one because rumours are he's leaving DJR, but what about the 900 other driver changed throughout history, seems only certain ones are 'traitors' and the others are 'good riddance' (Pretty sure i didn't see a single word mentioned about Richo being a traitor when he left PE for FPV )
I don't know what the Red side were saying, but he might have also been a traitor when he left FTR to go to PE originally.

It is more about perceived fealty these days than anything else.

Quote:
So your saying that James courtney did indeed drive an FG Falcon identicle to that i drove past on my way to work? THAT truth, they'd like to keep pretending theres falcons and commodores in this series (for what reason i still dont know)

Wonder if they'll finally accept it after the nascar-esq COTF comes in in 2012, or if they'll continue to live in denial.
Dear and Fluffy lord, GET OVER IT. We all know they are not ROAD GOING CARS. Specifically I had a go at the Ewan Page from Top Gear this weekend for what he said on Top Gear Australia when he said and I quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan Page
Just a Mickey Rourke once looked human, this was once a Standard Ford Falcon
It was never a standard Ford Falcon, car #5 and a Standard Ford Falcon are about $650,000 dollars away from each other. The only "Standard" thing on Most V8 Supercars (or at least when I was working for a Former Ford Team) is the headlights.

However, what the cars are, according the 3C Sporting Regs are either an "Ford FG Falcon V8supercar", or "Holden Commodore VE SII V8Supercar"

That is the specific name for the vehicle if assembled to the rules and regulations.

Why do that keep calling them that, I guess for the same reason they call what Marcos Ambrose drove in NASCAR a Toyota Camry. To advertise the specific road going car.

If anyone, and I have said this to you before, if anyone is stupid enough to think that a V8Supercar can be bought down your local Ford/Holden dealership and raced, they are seriously deluded and I doubt any of them could turn on a computer better yet post here.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 06:00 (Ref:2800207)   #135
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkInTheStands View Post
I don't know what the Red side were saying, but he might have also been a traitor when he left FTR to go to PE originally.

It is more about perceived fealty these days than anything else.

Dear and Fluffy lord, GET OVER IT. We all know they are not ROAD GOING CARS. Specifically I had a go at the Ewan Page from Top Gear this weekend for what he said on Top Gear Australia when he said and I quote.

It was never a standard Ford Falcon, car #5 and a Standard Ford Falcon are about $650,000 dollars away from each other. The only "Standard" thing on Most V8 Supercars (or at least when I was working for a Former Ford Team) is the headlights.

However, what the cars are, according the 3C Sporting Regs are either an "Ford FG Falcon V8supercar", or "Holden Commodore VE SII V8Supercar"

That is the specific name for the vehicle if assembled to the rules and regulations.

Why do that keep calling them that, I guess for the same reason they call what Marcos Ambrose drove in NASCAR a Toyota Camry. To advertise the specific road going car.

If anyone, and I have said this to you before, if anyone is stupid enough to think that a V8Supercar can be bought down your local Ford/Holden dealership and raced, they are seriously deluded and I doubt any of them could turn on a computer better yet post here.
We 'all' dont know. Some of us know, some live in fantasy land. Its the same ones claiming traitors who cling on to holden vs ford crap.

There is a few more generic parts (dont forget the tail lights haha) But a 'commodore' or 'falcon' they are not.

Side note, the DVS car i saw with SV6 tail lights looked pretty awesome, wonder if that was against the rules or not since he wasn't using normal VZ lights.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 06:08 (Ref:2800208)   #136
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

WTF are you on about, who gives a **** if your falcon is not the same as a purpose built race car made to survive races up to 1000km and be able to be basically rebuilt over night....

Who is trying to say they are the same?? I never hear the commentators comment on how close these race cars are to the road going counterpart for both Holden and Ford, heck they point out all the hardware and body changes (eg rear doors) that are done make it clear that these share little with the road going counterpart... Fans support teams and drivers these days more passionately than Ford or Holden and I would say fans would rather a proper race car being used that stands a chance of finishing a race so how about you untie your knickers and get over it......
Old 6 Dec 2010, 06:15 (Ref:2800212)   #137
MarkInTheStands
Racer

Australia
Lalor Park
Quote:
holden vs ford crap.
I wouldn't call it crap, I would call it tribalism.

I think specifically, like Victorians where you have to have a side, or New South Welshman where you follow the side that represents you area (for the most part). Growing up in the Australian Sporting Landscape is all about who you follow.

There has to be at least 2 sides, if there isn't then on a national level we get called racist for supporting the country.

For the longest time, in the History of Racing in Australia it was Holden Vs Ford, with the occasional cameo. The same as it was on the sales floor. What did the one of the first Toyota Camry ads say, "Back in the Playground you were either a Ford man or a Holden Man, you would end up defending your fathers honour behind the sheds". That is a key truth to growing up in the 70's and 80's in Australia, and now those kids are passing that on to their kids via V8Supercars.

That is easy, that is simple, and more importantly it is sellable, by the Teams and by the Category. The media players get involved and sell to it as well.

Who really cares if it is not a Ford/Holden Road car? it has a Ford/Holden Badge, it is sponsored by Ford/Holden, hence it is a Ford/Holden V8Supercar.

The more "in to it" of us, might be able to tell you who made the Chassis, who builds the engine, who makes what ever for what ever team, but still they are compliant to two sets of specs, Falcon or Commodore V8Supercars.

We might be the same ones that know Drivers sign contracts with what ever race team and don't sign with the manufacture (well not any more) But it still harkens back to that old School yard thing, if you are a Ford/Holden man, you are one for life, and if you leave, you are a Traitor.

I am quite sure Courtney was call such when he signed for SBR when he came to Australia full time.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 06:18 (Ref:2800215)   #138
krypto71
Racer

krypto71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stealthy, do you mean to tell me that my XR8 is not the same as Courtneys V8 Supercar? Shattered.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 06:20 (Ref:2800216)   #139
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
There is a few more generic parts (dont forget the tail lights haha) But a 'commodore' or 'falcon' they are not.
True, they are not road going Commodores or Falcons, but they are Commodore and Falcon V8 Supercars.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 07:19 (Ref:2800222)   #140
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
does anyone know someone who actually thinks JC was driving a real Ford Falcon road car on the weekend

I think Stealthy has a lot of thick friends and not just because they believe the above ....
Old 6 Dec 2010, 08:06 (Ref:2800230)   #141
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
I wouldn't call it crap, I would call it tribalism.

I think specifically, like Victorians where you have to have a side, or New South Welshman where you follow the side that represents you area (for the most part). Growing up in the Australian Sporting Landscape is all about who you follow.

There has to be at least 2 sides, if there isn't then on a national level we get called racist for supporting the country.

For the longest time, in the History of Racing in Australia it was Holden Vs Ford, with the occasional cameo. The same as it was on the sales floor. What did the one of the first Toyota Camry ads say, "Back in the Playground you were either a Ford man or a Holden Man, you would end up defending your fathers honour behind the sheds". That is a key truth to growing up in the 70's and 80's in Australia, and now those kids are passing that on to their kids via V8Supercars.

That is easy, that is simple, and more importantly it is sellable, by the Teams and by the Category. The media players get involved and sell to it as well.

Who really cares if it is not a Ford/Holden Road car? it has a Ford/Holden Badge, it is sponsored by Ford/Holden, hence it is a Ford/Holden V8Supercar.

The more "in to it" of us, might be able to tell you who made the Chassis, who builds the engine, who makes what ever for what ever team, but still they are compliant to two sets of specs, Falcon or Commodore V8Supercars.

We might be the same ones that know Drivers sign contracts with what ever race team and don't sign with the manufacture (well not any more) But it still harkens back to that old School yard thing, if you are a Ford/Holden man, you are one for life, and if you leave, you are a Traitor.

I am quite sure Courtney was call such when he signed for SBR when he came to Australia full time.
The difference being, in the 70/80s they were ALOT closer to road going spec cars. Panels were the same, they had 5 stud wheels. And you COULD harvest parts off a car in the carpark for spares (or so history would tell us happened)
In the year 2010, its IS crap.

I dont support holden or ford, and i'm sure when i pick up my new car, i'll be getting a visit from Ingall and Morris cause 'i cant keep those 2 together, all hell with break loose'

Quote:
Originally Posted by krypto71 View Post
Stealthy, do you mean to tell me that my XR8 is not the same as Courtneys V8 Supercar? Shattered.
Yeah sorry to disappoint bro. I saw an 'enforcer' BA the other day, he seemed quite upset when i mentioned it to him too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
True, they are not road going Commodores or Falcons, but they are Commodore and Falcon V8 Supercars.
I'm sure with some of the dense people on the internet, you could call them kenworths and they'd buy into it....
Old 6 Dec 2010, 08:12 (Ref:2800231)   #142
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the end of the day, as a Holden man, DJR did a STELLAR job all year, in either taking the advantages they had, or mitigating the problems. Their bad days were not as bad as T8's, and their best were on par.

I'm no JC fan, by any stretch of the imagination. But he got in front, and managed the season from there. There was no need to go ball busting and go for broke - thats the priveledge of leading the shebang.

And as for T8 - They have not even taken solace in having their car win the championship?? Sour grapes. Whincup, you fought hard, but you didn't get it. Take a lesson or two from Craig before going public again, champ.

DJR have done this the hard way. And maybe they won't be there again for a while, but good on them. A total team effort from where I sit. Well earnt, and the team, down to the tyre crew, can walk away from 2010 knowing they got their stuff together and did it.

Well done, DJR. Roll on 2011.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 08:15 (Ref:2800232)   #143
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna05 View Post
down to the tyre crew
Excapt maybe that one bloke.....
Old 6 Dec 2010, 08:49 (Ref:2800235)   #144
MarkInTheStands
Racer

Australia
Lalor Park
Quote:
The difference being, in the 70/80s they were ALOT closer to road going spec cars. Panels were the same, they had 5 stud wheels. And you COULD harvest parts off a car in the carpark for spares (or so history would tell us happened)
In the year 2010, its IS crap.

Oh, I finally figured it out, your one of those bitter twisted people who right off V8Supercars because they can't "Go out and buy one" then race it. Please get over it, This is now professional full time racing, not part time gentleman racing like back in the 70/80's.

Hell though if you beleive one story about 1983, the car Dick raced was a Falcon, but the team they borrowed the car from, had to have a replacment, so more work went into panel beating a Commodore to look like a Falcon.

But I guess you are happy being a Forum Cop and pulling people up form calling them Holden's and Ford's with out adding the "Supercar" part.

Quote:
I dont support holden or ford, and i'm sure when i pick up my new car, i'll be getting a visit from Ingall and Morris cause 'i cant keep those 2 together, all hell with break loose'
eek gads man, they have a bit of fun on the television, playing on the tribalism and you want to stick in the boot. Seriously you need to find another hobby.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 08:53 (Ref:2800238)   #145
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:

Oh, I finally figured it out, your one of those bitter twisted people who right off V8Supercars because they can't "Go out and buy one" then race it. Please get over it, This is now professional full time racing, not part time gentleman racing like back in the 70/80's.

Hell though if you beleive one story about 1983, the car Dick raced was a Falcon, but the team they borrowed the car from, had to have a replacment, so more work went into panel beating a Commodore to look like a Falcon.

But I guess you are happy being a Forum Cop and pulling people up form calling them Holden's and Ford's with out adding the "Supercar" part.

eek gads man, they have a bit of fun on the television, playing on the tribalism and you want to stick in the boot. Seriously you need to find another hobby.
Not bitter and twisted at all. Its called being a realist.

You completely missed the sarcasm. I think the ad's are awesome, and i also support PMM
Old 6 Dec 2010, 09:05 (Ref:2800242)   #146
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
keep up the goodwork Mark in the stands

he will put you on ignore soon because he cant handle the heat
Old 6 Dec 2010, 09:53 (Ref:2800258)   #147
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This still looks good

http://plixi.com/p/61094029
Old 6 Dec 2010, 09:57 (Ref:2800261)   #148
davester
Racer

davester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First there was Falcon, Monaro, and Charger road spec race cars (we have to start somewhere I guess).
But the brakes didn't last, so in went race spec items, so the cars entered braking zones faster and later, so cages were needed, and as the motors got faster the gearboxes and clutches failed, so in went race spec items, then the drivers would slide around the bucket seats, so in went race seats and harnesses, and now the drivers could push the cars even harder which would wear out tyres, so in went better rubber, which meant the cars could punt around at full speed all day, so in went better electrics with custom switch pods to keep the systems running flat out. The cars are now going so fast that carbon composite areo kits replace fragile fibreglass. Then 888 came along and raised the bar for all. This is why the V8 Supercar is a little different to your road car. A V8 Supercar is as fast as its weakest element, which at this time are the tyres (they control braking grip, corner grip, and powerdown).
Car rental companies are very pleased that V8 Supercars are no longer production car based.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 10:09 (Ref:2800266)   #149
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The fact that they have absolutely nothing in common with their road going counterparts is the biggest concern for a so called 'touring car championship'. Project blueprint was the last straw for this series.

This is all fine however when you have promoters and some followers suggesting they are touring cars is where the problems and dillusions start.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 10:14 (Ref:2800268)   #150
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For crying out loud, take it elsewhere people, read the topic.