Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Apr 2013, 21:53 (Ref:3230080)   #126
Thaw Daggerslash
Racer

Thaw Daggerslash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
That sort of obedience /respect for team orders/your team mate was not in evidence in Malaysia. Is F1 worse for that. I think so
Seriously? It's people like Rosberg who spoil the spectacle of F1 in my opinion. Sitting behind your team mate and obeying team orders may well be "sporting" or "respectful", but it ain't half boring for the fans. If Vettel hadn't overtaken Webber, I think I'd possibly have nodded off in those last few laps. How boring would it have been if we'd had the "spectacle" of Vettel and Rosberg both holding station? Very.

I want to see racing drivers actually RACING to the end of the race. That's the whole point of it. I want to see that, not a boring demonstration of pointless team orders.
Old 6 Apr 2013, 22:38 (Ref:3230094)   #127
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was going to suggest you watch another branch of motorsport instead, but as I can't think of one that would match your criteria.
Old 6 Apr 2013, 22:43 (Ref:3230096)   #128
luke g28
Racer

luke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridluke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaw Daggerslash View Post
Seriously? It's people like Rosberg who spoil the spectacle of F1 in my opinion. Sitting behind your team mate and obeying team orders may well be "sporting" or "respectful", but it ain't half boring for the fans. If Vettel hadn't overtaken Webber, I think I'd possibly have nodded off in those last few laps. How boring would it have been if we'd had the "spectacle" of Vettel and Rosberg both holding station? Very.

I want to see racing drivers actually RACING to the end of the race. That's the whole point of it. I want to see that, not a boring demonstration of pointless team orders.
thing is it was only because webber was told to slow down by the team that vettel caught up.
Old 6 Apr 2013, 22:43 (Ref:3230097)   #129
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original Instag8or View Post
So Vettel has violated some "sportsmanship" standards by refusing to follow team orders...

Since when are "team orders" considered in any way shape or form "sportsmanlike"?
Since at least the era of Moss and that era didn't invent it. The definition of sportsmanlike is one that involves not being self centred and winning isn't everything. While maybe the word 'orders' doesn't fit 'team' most certainly does. You only need orders if you have individuals who don't act as a team.
Old 6 Apr 2013, 22:51 (Ref:3230102)   #130
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaw Daggerslash View Post

I sort of see your point, but you can't think of Grand Prix racing like kart racing or formula ford. There will be times where wheel to wheel stuff happens, there will be times when it's processional. Look at all the aspects of Grand Prix racing from the perspective of all parties involved, you might get more out of it.
Old 6 Apr 2013, 23:17 (Ref:3230106)   #131
Thaw Daggerslash
Racer

Thaw Daggerslash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke g28 View Post
thing is it was only because webber was told to slow down by the team that vettel caught up.
Unless my memory fails me, Mark only just came out ahead of Seb after his last stop. They were never exactly a million miles apart. If Vettel had been 30 seconds behind and caught up really quickly or something like that, I'd agree. But that wasn't the case.

So tough poo Mark, but that's racing. Deal with it and come back stronger next time.

Quote:
I sort of see your point, but you can't think of Grand Prix racing like kart racing or formula ford. There will be times where wheel to wheel stuff happens, there will be times when it's processional. Look at all the aspects of Grand Prix racing from the perspective of all parties involved, you might get more out of it.
But it seems so unnecessary, especially when it's only the second race of the season and it is all to play for. They didn't tangle, so what's the problem? It was great entertainment for the fans. Sometimes I think people within F1 care too much about themselves, and not really about the fans and what is good for the sport. They're racing drivers, just let them get on with it.

I've never been the biggest McLaren fan, but I have to hand it to them, when JB and Lewis were team mates, they let them race. There were several times it could've ended in a crash for one or both, but didn't. Think of Turkey '10, Turkey '11 or more recently, Brazil '12.

You fight to the bell in boxing. You race to the chequered flag in motorsport, not any time before. Otherwise, what's the point in even having a bleeding race if they've decided who is going to finish where before the race is even over? If that's the case, might as well just give the points out after quali, then pack up and go home. It'd save an awful lot of money.
Old 6 Apr 2013, 23:40 (Ref:3230112)   #132
The Original Instag8or
Racer

United States
Veneta, Oregon, USA
The Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, all you "Team Orders" fans, how many of you watch NASCAR? How about the "lead changes" that occur amongst NASCAR teammates, when the leader slows to let his mate "earn" the extra points for "leading" a lap? Does that also fit your criteria of "sportsmanship"?
Old 7 Apr 2013, 01:34 (Ref:3230139)   #133
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
So, all you "Team Orders" fans, how many of you watch NASCAR? How about the "lead changes" that occur amongst NASCAR teammates, when the leader slows to let his mate "earn" the extra points for "leading" a lap? Does that also fit your criteria of "sportsmanship"?
I'm not sure what point you are making. An F1 driver obeying team orders and Kyle Busch giving Hamlin points are behaviours that are not inconsistent with each other. In the latter example Busch is sacrificing a little for his stable. I say stable because in NASCAR each individual car is a team in its own right.

It comes down to this. A man lives up to the agreements he enters into. By signing up to Red Bull SV accepted the authority of the team. SV broke this agreement and undermined the authority of the team who worked to give him his car. In doing so he robbed Webber who lived up to his agreement with the team - an agreement Webber didn't abandon. That's why SV invites the criticism that he does atm.
Old 7 Apr 2013, 09:32 (Ref:3230273)   #134
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Nothing wrong in that whatsoever, so yes it does.
Old 7 Apr 2013, 09:46 (Ref:3230281)   #135
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Webber did adhere to the team order though, IIRC. Showed his nose, showed he was faster. Stayed behind.
You're wrong on that: http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...1/7/12293.html

Quote:
Q: (Adam Hay-Nicholls - Metro) Mark, Christian Horner has said that you should be fine with the team orders at the end and if you and Seb had raced until the end you would both have ended up in the fence. Do you agree with that? Was it the right call? Does this mean realistically that you are out of this championship?

MW: I am not fine with it. No. That's the answer to that. If Fernando retires on the last lap we are battling for the victory so I was fine until the end. Of course I ignored the team as I want to try and get another place. Seb was doing his best and I was doing my best. I don't want to crash with anyone, but that was it. I tried to do my best with the amount of conversation I had. One-way conversation obviously as I wasn't talking too much back. There was a lot of traffic coming to me, but I was still trying to do my best to pass the guy in front.

Q: (Adam Hay-Nicholls - Metro) Do you remember roughly how many messages you had?
MW: Probably four or five.
So Seb has been vilified for something that Mark was not.
Old 7 Apr 2013, 09:57 (Ref:3230286)   #136
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Not how I remembered it and Herbert backed that up on the F1 show. Oh well.

I am still less than convinced it was similar. Not least due to the actions afterwards, the result, the lead up to the attempted pass and the answers to questions afterwards. Any multi 12?

Still as it was the same then Webber should have stayed behind.

As for vilifying Vettel? If I explain how much I like Vettel and how much I like Webber would that help? Shouldn't really make a difference to my opinion on Vettels actions during the latest GP.

If the argument is that both did something wrong I'm fine with that. What a team.
Old 7 Apr 2013, 10:02 (Ref:3230290)   #137
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't know if you have vilified Vettel. I just mean that, on balance, people are calling him out for this and defending Mark when Mark has clearly shown he would do exactly the same.
Old 7 Apr 2013, 10:28 (Ref:3230305)   #138
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
If he was quick enough.
Old 7 Apr 2013, 10:45 (Ref:3230312)   #139
jedrinck
Racer

jedrinck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the light of that Silverstone press conference I find Webber's response hypocritical.
But maybe there were new agreements in place before the Malaysia GP Vettel's disregard of which led to Webber feeling betrayed and Vettel being compelled to apologize.
Old 7 Apr 2013, 11:17 (Ref:3230322)   #140
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I don't know if you have vilified Vettel. I just mean that, on balance, people are calling him out for this and defending Mark when Mark has clearly shown he would do exactly the same.
Yeah, but he'd probably be honest about it afterwards.
Old 7 Apr 2013, 15:30 (Ref:3230413)   #141
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
If he was quick enough.
That's half of Australia turning in their sleep with that comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedrinck View Post
In the light of that Silverstone press conference I find Webber's response hypocritical.
But maybe there were new agreements in place before the Malaysia GP Vettel's disregard of which led to Webber feeling betrayed and Vettel being compelled to apologize.
I suppose one key difference may be that Vettel agreed to a Multi 21/ Multi 12 arrangement and Webber may never have given prior agreement to the Silverstone order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Yeah, but he'd probably be honest about it afterwards.
And that is one of most major causes of the bitter taste residue - that he wouldn't admit he had thought of "number 1" in the moment and instead chose to deliver some confusing claptrap about hearing the message but not realising he was disobeying it or whatever it was.
Old 7 Apr 2013, 17:02 (Ref:3230453)   #142
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Exactly so - and this is the point that so many here seem determined to ignore, preferring instead to mask the situation with blather about team orders and how dreadful they are.......
Old 7 Apr 2013, 19:14 (Ref:3230505)   #143
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
I think, unless I'm missing some massive point in this conversation, that Vettel said he was truthfully sorry and will obey team orders from this point. He's really been under the gun as of late. Here's something I wrote about him immediately after the race:

Quote:
"He is, unmistakably, the most cowardly portion of rancid vermin I've seen in ages; an atrocious specimen of a man, laden with a resisting repugnance so foul that the bluntest of nostrils could pick up the fetid odor of his conceited, supercilious demeanor a mile away."
I was angry.

...he said he's sorry, that's all he has to do. Horner's serious about it now, and he (Vettel) knows he can't do it again. Not much more to discuss...
Old 7 Apr 2013, 19:33 (Ref:3230517)   #144
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Don't you hold back now Beetle............
Old 7 Apr 2013, 19:38 (Ref:3230520)   #145
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Old 8 Apr 2013, 18:01 (Ref:3231044)   #146
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What annoys me is that the teams can control or attempt to control races, it will be interesting to see how far this goes this year and what reaction it receives from the fans.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 18:07 (Ref:3231046)   #147
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sadly, if the fans of which you speak, are knowledgeable and thus born racers, they will already know that team orders are part of F1. If however, they are not fans, then who cares? They won't.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 20:15 (Ref:3231113)   #148
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redblurr View Post
What annoys me is that the teams can control or attempt to control races, it will be interesting to see how far this goes this year and what reaction it receives from the fans.

You mean if it goes as far as last year, and the year before that, and ten years before that.....?
Old 8 Apr 2013, 20:38 (Ref:3231130)   #149
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Is it going to go further than before? What could they do? Pull a car into the pits and let another driver take over after theirs has retired?
Old 8 Apr 2013, 21:03 (Ref:3231148)   #150
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
You mean if it goes as far as last year, and the year before that, and ten years before that.....?
What on earth are you on about?