Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 11 Feb 2004, 01:31 (Ref:870150)   #126
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see that F1 hopeful, Phil Geibler is testing at Phoenix Raceway, for the IPS. I was rather surprised to see that.

Does this mean his F1 hopes are finished, and he may be looking towards an IRL future?

By the way, the IRL, is starting there Phoenix test tommorrow!

Danica Patrick
Old 11 Feb 2004, 13:15 (Ref:870639)   #127
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ben Collins looks set to drive for PDM
Old 11 Feb 2004, 13:30 (Ref:870663)   #128
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by cos
Ben Collins looks set to drive for PDM
What sort of background does he have? Haven't heard much about him.

Regardless of his merits, however, I think it would be great if it's accurate - we've heard far too little from PDM lately
Old 11 Feb 2004, 13:55 (Ref:870702)   #129
cos
Veteran

England
Ben Collins was ASCAR champion in 2003 and has raced F3 before that, so similar background to Darren Manning.
Old 11 Feb 2004, 14:02 (Ref:870714)   #130
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by cos
Ben Collins was ASCAR champion in 2003 and has raced F3 before that, so similar background to Darren Manning.
Ah yes, I thought I recognized the name (and now I remember that it was from various ASCAR broadcasts). Thanks for the info.
Old 11 Feb 2004, 18:54 (Ref:871010)   #131
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is this full time ride? I didn't think PDM has the budget for a full year. Does this Ben Collins fellow have a website?
Old 11 Feb 2004, 19:07 (Ref:871030)   #132
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by Down F0rce
Is this full time ride? I didn't think PDM has the budget for a full year. Does this Ben Collins fellow have a website?
http://www.bencollinsracing.com, but it's not working too well at the moment...

Last edited by rustyfan; 11 Feb 2004 at 19:07.
Old 11 Feb 2004, 22:05 (Ref:871256)   #133
cos
Veteran

England
He'll be there for Motegi if/when he passes his rookie test. He has backing from the British Tourist Board or some such.
Old 11 Feb 2004, 22:22 (Ref:871280)   #134
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ben raced in Indy Lights a few years ago too.
Old 12 Feb 2004, 14:18 (Ref:872010)   #135
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know Down Force mentioned this already, but Kelly Racing has just confirmed that they have signed Sarah Fisher to race for them this season.

Details on her schedule and sponsors will come at a later date.

Danica Patrick
Old 12 Feb 2004, 14:38 (Ref:872035)   #136
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
"We're close on a lot of things, but they're not nailed down yet," Fisher said from the IRL's open test.

"So rather than saying we're going to be in 'this many' races, we're just going to say I'm driving for the team."
- from www.indystar.com

Good result for Sarah I guess Indy is a given, I wonder where else she wil race though. I'd put my money on Cure Autism Now as a sponsor, at least for Indy. They sponsored Renna last year for The 500.
Old 12 Feb 2004, 14:55 (Ref:872047)   #137
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope she will be able to run the whole season.
Old 13 Feb 2004, 15:44 (Ref:873262)   #138
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
I missed this earlier in the article where Robin Miller whines about Paul Tracy missing out on IROC, and just noticed it today;

Quote:
Memo Gidley is heading for the IRL test at Phoenix this week to see if there's anything to the rumor that Eliseo Salazar and G-Force are putting together a deal for the popular 33-year-old Californian.

As mentioned by Miller it's just a rumor but hey, what are Silly Season threads for?
Old 14 Feb 2004, 21:32 (Ref:874334)   #139
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
It looks as though American F1 hopeful, Phil Giebler, will do the full IPS schedule for Deusenberg Racing.

He did very well at the Phoenix test, placing third, and this was the first time he ever did an oval. He's here to boost his name recognition to American fans, and since he would only be able to "pay", for 2 or 3 F3000 rides this season, he decided to come here and challenge for the IPS championship. He is also very interested in doing the Indy 500 in the future.

God knows, that America has been waiting a long time for an F1 star to come along, and I really would love to see him get there, but if an F1 future falls through, he can always gladly come to the IRL.

Danica Patrick
Old 16 Feb 2004, 23:54 (Ref:876389)   #140
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Got some rumors of a different type.

The IRL broadcast team is changing. Gary Gerould is out, Arute is staying, and a pit-babe is being added, but we don't have a name.

Also, a strong rumor that Tommy Kendall, of Speed Channel, and CART fame, will replace Bob Jenkins on the broadcast.

These changes have to help. The race calls were terrible, and devoid of any excitment, and they appeared to be a broadcast team in trouble. If Kendall comes over, he will bring excitement and good insider material with him. It has to be better than what they had.

Danica Patrick
Old 17 Feb 2004, 00:51 (Ref:876434)   #141
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Caught this in the Indy Star about John Andretti.

If he finds time in May, he yearns to drive in another Indy 500, and he has an IRL team owner in the family.

"I havn't started begging my cousin yet", he said with a grin, "I just think it would be really cool to drive for Michael".

What are the chances for John in the 500, and even making a comeback to openwheel? Also what are the chances that Michael can field a fourth car for the 500?

Danica Patrick
Old 17 Feb 2004, 02:05 (Ref:876471)   #142
Weaver
Rookie

United States
Indy,IN
Weaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
Also what are the chances that Michael can field a fourth car for the 500?
Fourth car: 100%

John in an AGR car: 0%

Sorry
Old 17 Feb 2004, 02:10 (Ref:876474)   #143
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, AGR will have four cars all season long (Herta, Kanaan, Wheldon, Franchitti). A fifth car for Indy? Kinda reminds one of Team Menard back in the early 90's.
Old 17 Feb 2004, 03:09 (Ref:876489)   #144
boom boom
Racer

boom boom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
Got some rumors of a different type.

The IRL broadcast team is changing. Gary Gerould is out, Arute is staying, and a pit-babe is being added, but we don't have a name.
Also, a strong rumor that Tommy Kendall, of Speed Channel, and CART fame, will replace Bob Jenkins on the broadcast.
These changes have to help. The race calls were terrible, and devoid of any excitment, and they appeared to be a broadcast team in trouble.
That is one of my biggest turn offs to the IRL. The ABC coverage is horrible and has been for the last 3 or more years. And Jack arute has got to go..he can cover college footbal games, or something. I would wathc a few more IRL races if they had better coverage and comentary....of course though ABC has to show more races instead of pushing it to ESPN so they can show golf. They really have poor bradcast coverage...
Old 17 Feb 2004, 12:56 (Ref:876923)   #145
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully they will ditch the dodgy 'ESPN International' feed, and give us a proper coverage of races.

I've had enough of Garry Lee and Larry Rice's uninformed commentary (some of their mistakes are too hard to believe), and tapping into ABC's interviews late and cutting them off early.
Old 17 Feb 2004, 13:13 (Ref:876935)   #146
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
I just wish I knew whether I'll get it on TV or not this year.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 01:34 (Ref:883499)   #147
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Bryan Herta's car will be sponsored by XM Satellite Radio, and carry their colors. Wonder what their colors are?

Danica Patrick
Old 24 Feb 2004, 09:13 (Ref:883717)   #148
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
I did a search on google, and found this site.

http://www.xmradio.com/index.jsp

Bryans car could be gold/red/black. COme to think of it, thats just what he's been running so far? Maybe this deal has been in the works for a while...
Old 24 Feb 2004, 09:43 (Ref:883737)   #149
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My understanding of the Collins situation is that his first appearance will be Pheonix (assuming he passes the rookie test; should be a formality given his oval experience) and will skip Motegi to save money and further their Indy preperations. From Indy they hope to run the whole season.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 15:54 (Ref:884125)   #150
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Some news from Kelley Racing:

Kelley Racing has a new co-owner, Rick Weidinger, a successful business executive, who will join Tom Kelley as joint owner of the team. Could this give hope to Sarah Fisher?

Also joining Kelley Racing is the successful veteran race engineer Andy Borme, who was Helio's engineer for his two Indy 500 wins. He will be working with Scott Sharp, who is starting his seventh season with Kelley racing. Scott said he's already seen a difference in his car with Andy working there.

I'm hoping for a great year for Scott and the team!

Danica Patrick