Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 27 May 2005, 08:06 (Ref:1311359)   #126
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan
If the Champ Car head honchos at the time, around 1993-1994, hadn't spooked TG, he wouldn't have set it all in motion (first the silly demand for control and then initiating the split). Funny how just about every Champ Car diehard overlooks this.

Of course the facts are of little importance when it's easier to blame just one person though, right?
The only thing that spooked TG was himself in the mirror.

Tony George publicly declared his intent to takeover the show in 1991. The spooky stuff you're talking about is all part of the victimization ploy to keep himself from being seen as the bad guy(he failed).

As I have mentioned previously, instead of working from within like Bernie and F1, he instead went on the warpath and that is why you can place the blame at his doorstep.
Old 27 May 2005, 19:35 (Ref:1311854)   #127
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
The only thing that spooked TG was himself in the mirror.

Tony George publicly declared his intent to takeover the show in 1991. The spooky stuff you're talking about is all part of the victimization ploy to keep himself from being seen as the bad guy(he failed).

As I have mentioned previously, instead of working from within like Bernie and F1, he instead went on the warpath and that is why you can place the blame at his doorstep.

Mountainstar, bs revisionist history is still bs.
Enough official articles and cut-and-pastes of them, on sites like this, have been published that even you should know that what blew CART and George apart was not the fault of one person.
Wanting it to be that way is a bit obtuse.

Bob
Old 28 May 2005, 14:10 (Ref:1312592)   #128
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CC-IRL Merger Article

This AP article tries to speculate what it would be like if Champ Car and the IRL merged. Read it and see what you think!

http://sports.yahoo.com/irl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
Old 28 May 2005, 14:45 (Ref:1312630)   #129
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All of it I agree with. And hopefully with in the next couple of years then hopefully we will have one series.
Old 28 May 2005, 16:28 (Ref:1312700)   #130
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Much of the article I agree with however, it doesn't consider the fact that Cosworth does not manufacture cars and could only profit from the sale of engines; as such could not afford to $$upport teams in the Toyota Honda tradition.

T.G.& the IRL crowd seem to be possesed by this provincial American dislike of anything un-American including un-American Americans. Also they fail to notice American companys support international motor racing eg, AMD, hp, Bud, ect,.

TG has spent $250M more on the IRL than it has taken in (conservitive est) and the light at the end of the tunnel looks like KK comming on hard and fast.

Champ Cars and IRL have both turned corners, but they are going in differant directions
Old 28 May 2005, 16:54 (Ref:1312713)   #131
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar7605
This AP article tries to speculate what it would be like if Champ Car and the IRL merged. Read it and see what you think!

http://sports.yahoo.com/irl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
There is a bridge in Brookly these boys should invest in.

They are blowing smoke from those funny cigarettes.

Bob
Old 28 May 2005, 18:16 (Ref:1312757)   #132
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman-normal
Much of the article I agree with however, it doesn't consider the fact that Cosworth does not manufacture cars and could only profit from the sale of engines; as such could not afford to $$upport teams in the Toyota Honda tradition.

T.G.& the IRL crowd seem to be possesed by this provincial American dislike of anything un-American including un-American Americans. Also they fail to notice American companys support international motor racing eg, AMD, hp, Bud, ect,.

TG has spent $250M more on the IRL than it has taken in (conservitive est) and the light at the end of the tunnel looks like KK comming on hard and fast.

Champ Cars and IRL have both turned corners, but they are going in differant directions
This is an old and false arguement. Jon Vannini used it, then Pook, when trying to go European International. But it failed and CART went belly up. Now it lives off the largess of Kalkhoven.

In fact the marketing divisions of US companies that sponsor F1 are the European ones not the US ones. As CART/CCWS went off shore, now over half their races, sponsorship dwindled while NASCAR soared and IRL stayed flat. Even Toyota switched largely because of the domestic versus foriegn market issue (TRD is funded by Toyota Sales USA).

A funny parallel has occurred in F1. As F1 has added more non-European races the secondary sponsors have dried up and rates asked for signage have fallen. Its the same reason, if you race beyond the Sales region of your sponsor they lose interest, nevermond that in theory another division of the company may benefit (but isn't paying for it).

One would think that a quick look at the sides of NASCAR and IRL cars and then at CCWS and F1 would pretty much settle this issue. Where is Jon Vannini now?
Old 28 May 2005, 19:20 (Ref:1312787)   #133
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That really kinda figures, when you don't think about it.

Last edited by macdaddy; 28 May 2005 at 20:04.
Old 28 May 2005, 20:07 (Ref:1312809)   #134
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That article seems realistic, and would certianly make for a good outcome. In the shrot-term at least, awarding seperate road-racing and oval titles alongside the main oen would surely please the purists on both sides.
Old 30 May 2005, 08:44 (Ref:1314421)   #135
sr230772
Racer

sr230772 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dream on this merge wont happen for along time
Old 30 May 2005, 08:50 (Ref:1314425)   #136
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The excellent Indy 500 yesterday whetted my appetite for how good things could be with one series.
Old 30 May 2005, 16:43 (Ref:1314828)   #137
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting news bit i just heard on the Fan590 (Toronto Sports Radio). They say sources say that the IRL and Champ Car are in discussion to run 6 races together next year. The races being Texas, Chicago, Long Beach, Toronto, Mexico and The Indy 500.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 30 May 2005, 16:44 (Ref:1314830)   #138
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They'd need to have the same chassis and engines for that.
Old 30 May 2005, 16:50 (Ref:1314833)   #139
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why Chicago? *shrug* Milwaukee would make more sense.
Old 30 May 2005, 16:53 (Ref:1314837)   #140
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard those same six being announced on 680 News in Toronto. Seems like they finally gotten their act together. However they didn't mention anything about chassis or engines
Old 30 May 2005, 16:54 (Ref:1314838)   #141
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Perhaps because Milwaukee would lose a racedate, as both series are currently scheduled to run there independantly next year.
Old 30 May 2005, 16:57 (Ref:1314839)   #142
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickShift
Why Chicago? *shrug* Milwaukee would make more sense.

Milwaukee would make sense since it is on both Series' schedules, but Chicagoland provides incredible racing...It would be one Hell of an event!!!!

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 30 May 2005, 16:59 (Ref:1314840)   #143
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
Both series already run at Milwaukee. As well all the races mentioned seem to be hot tickets for each series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
They'd need to have the same chassis and engines for that.
Who knows maybe an interim formula could be reached, ie. detuned Turbos, aero tweaks? Largely speculation of course; I personally don't expect anything to come of this, but it's a nice dream!
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 30 May 2005, 17:16 (Ref:1314854)   #144
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy-ace
Interesting news bit i just heard on the Fan590 (Toronto Sports Radio). They say sources say that the IRL and Champ Car are in discussion to run 6 races together next year. The races being Texas, Chicago, Long Beach, Toronto, Mexico and The Indy 500.
This is great news, I hope it is not just a rumor. If they come back together for as stated 6 races then that will for sure must mean a merge is on the horizon.

Which is fantastic news!
Old 30 May 2005, 17:26 (Ref:1314858)   #145
StickShift
Veteran

If these six races were to happen, I'd imagine that Champ Car would lean over and use the IRL equipment.

To be honest, if they are willing to unite for six races in 2006, why not an entire season?
Old 30 May 2005, 17:34 (Ref:1314864)   #146
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I imagine Texas, Chicago and Indy would be run using IRL equipment while LB, Mexico and Toronto courses would run with CCWS equipment
Old 30 May 2005, 17:37 (Ref:1314865)   #147
StickShift
Veteran

I really doubt that. Why buy two sets of equipment, when you could only buy one?

As well, Ford-Cosworth already have an IRL engine.
Old 30 May 2005, 17:47 (Ref:1314876)   #148
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
It would make sense to run each series equipment at their own tracks to me. I can't see the smaller teams being able to run the three extra races outside their respective series, and to shut the smaller teams out from their own tracks would not be smart. Can you imagine L.B. without Mi-Jack, DCR, HVM or RuSport?
Old 30 May 2005, 19:27 (Ref:1314984)   #149
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Looking at the Champ Car tracks: Long Beach, Toronto and Mexico City.....they have all been eyed by the IRL as races so there seems to be a logic to this.
I would have thought Champ Car would wanted to run at Brooklyn and Fontana but Chicagoland is in Septemeber when on the current Champ Car schedule there is only Las Vegas as a race in that month.
Old 30 May 2005, 20:52 (Ref:1315090)   #150
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
It would appear from further info from the aforementioned radio station is that the venues mentioned are prime sponsor markets. Money talks!
If nothing else lets hope they are least talking.