Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
the_royksopp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I would also like to open up the turn after the hairpin
Agreed, but not too much.

Quote:
im not happy with the corkscrew entrance kink i would much rather it be flush with the straight ...
Not agreed for my sake. That'd effectively ruin the corner and make it just an ordinary chicane.

Quote:
oh and fianlly the final corner needs to change as its currently not flat out imo
Arh, i think it'd kill those bends, but that depends on what you cook up .

Quote:
I know this is late in the game (busy with family and all here), but having that really angled first turn, then the short straight, and then the bend before the hairpin just seems out of place given the rest of the circuit. Having that 90 degree or so corner that is immediately followed by that longer bend before the straight into the hairpin seems to fit better. You would still have a relatively slow first turn (passing opportunity retained), and possibly give an opportunity to duck inside of someone into the following hairpin given the longer straight that you would then have there.
I see your point. I'd say the best solution is to squander (sp?) the short straight between T1 and 2 (the hairpin then being T3, just for the sake of easy explanation ), and open up the hairpin slightly in order to have them fit together.
Old 27 Dec 2005, 22:59 (Ref:1490788)   #127
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Let me try to interpret everything which has been said here and put a picture up to see what it looks like.
Old 27 Dec 2005, 23:06 (Ref:1490790)   #128
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
OK, this is what I have so far.

I have to say, I think the change at the corkscrew looks a lot better (what on earth is a copy of the corkscrew doing there anyway? It doesn't really fit at all....)

Old 28 Dec 2005, 00:08 (Ref:1490802)   #129
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think a "copy" of the Corkscrew is a good idea. It sure fits, anyway, if anything I prefer the original entry compared to that in all sincerity.

I like the rest of the revisions however, so in general, good job - although I'd strongly disagree with your comments regarding the Corkscrew.

O Well,

PAUL
Old 28 Dec 2005, 01:44 (Ref:1490818)   #130
Chaynes321
Veteran

England
London
Chaynes321 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Old 28 Dec 2005, 08:08 (Ref:1490853)   #131
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Lustigson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good job, P. And I must say I like your tweaks, too, CG.
Old 28 Dec 2005, 11:34 (Ref:1490919)   #132
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must confess, and I say this with the utmost respect - that I am not a fan of the CG modifications. In my mind, it is a step backwards - in particular the last section of the circuit, which, for me was one of the best parts on the raceway.

I must also really stress my dislike of the new section at the botttom left, it is much to like the inside of Magny-Cours, which, many I feel - would agree is not one of the most notable sections in Motoracing Circuit folklore.

I recognize, that the new section is not a clear cut copy of Magny-Cours - but I feel that the new corner there, in effect - ruins the end of the lap, and with that nipply bit in the top left, it also goes to destroying the lap.

Frankly I was happy with the circuit, Corkscrew or no Corkscrew a few edits ago;

Click Here

I, personally think we should have left it at that - perhaps with a few alterations as proposed by T_R to the "Lesmo" corners. And also, CG's modifications to the corner after the central hairpin, were also suitable IMO.

Other than that, I love it - and feel it would be a travesty, and a tradegy to go to any of the later proposals, saying so, with the greatest of respect for the designers of those circuits. Indeed, as I am new here - you may see me as the unknowledgable newcomer, although I can assure you - despite, to my own admission, acknowledging that some of my early computer based work being sub-standard, I have also been designing race-circuits, much like you lot - for around 10 years since I first became interested in motorsports, via paper based designs.

I hope, you consider my thoughts - and if the general consensus seems to be that the newer proposals are what you want, then I suppose I shall have to concede, however - I will do so with the utmost dissatisfaction.

Thanks very much for reading;

PAUL
Old 28 Dec 2005, 11:44 (Ref:1490926)   #133
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist
but having that really angled first turn, then the short straight, and then the bend before the hairpin just seems out of place given the rest of the circuit.
Furthermore, I'd agree with Purist here, and I think Pirenzo's alterations are suitable.

PAUL
Old 28 Dec 2005, 12:05 (Ref:1490937)   #134
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
I strongly agree with martin.

From my point of view there are 4 points of which we are not yet settled.
  1. Turn 1 - should it be as proposed by Lustig or Pirenzo. I opt for Pirenzo's solution.
  2. Turn 4/The "Lesmos": I am still not satisfied with how it looks - i'll cook up an edit later today.
  3. The bend after the central hairpin: Between the original, as pictured on Pirenzo's version, and CG's version. I defenitely prefer CG's.
  4. The Corkscrew: The original one vs. the Pirenzo/CG version. I'd say the original one fits better, as it is effectively a corkscrew, whilst Pirenzo's version is merely an esse.
Old 28 Dec 2005, 12:09 (Ref:1490940)   #135
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Look, I didn't put any of my own ideas in, I just made the alterations that everyone else suggested (at least I made them to how I thought you wanted them from your brief descriptions).

Since it quite clearly isn't settled yet, I'll give you a few more days to get it sorted before I proceed any further with the detail view.
Old 28 Dec 2005, 12:11 (Ref:1490943)   #136
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
This is more what i had in mind for T4.

Old 28 Dec 2005, 12:59 (Ref:1490957)   #137
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
It was a good effort P, and I do like the revisions you made to the first turn. And indeed the middle hairpin, but I am in disagreement with the changes to the Corkscrew, as suggested by others - therefore, you shouldn't feel obliged to defend yourself mate.

You showcased what it might look like, like you were asked - which is fair enough. I just don't like the revisions as they are on paper.

PAUL
Old 28 Dec 2005, 13:02 (Ref:1490958)   #138
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
I like that T_R, but i'd wait for others to pass comment before we make a decision....

PAUL
Old 28 Dec 2005, 13:22 (Ref:1490962)   #139
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
I like Pirenzo's proposal, but I'd like to see TR's Lesmos and the 'old' corkskrew. I think that one provides for a better overtaking opportunity, because the entry's tighter. Otherwise, I think it's smashing.
Old 28 Dec 2005, 16:02 (Ref:1491002)   #140
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
Quote:
Look, I didn't put any of my own ideas in, I just made the alterations that everyone else suggested (at least I made them to how I thought you wanted them from your brief descriptions).
I know, P. I just figured writing "Pirenzo's" was easier .

I agree with Lustig on the Lesmos and the Corkscrew, however, we are still a bit unsettled on the corner after the central hairpin.
Old 28 Dec 2005, 20:22 (Ref:1491110)   #141
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking at all the edits-T1 is now fine, T4...I'm no fan of the 'Lesmos' but they seem popular so I'm finne with it, although if we stick with them I think that a tight 1st one & a loose 2nd one is the best way to go. The turn after the central hairpin-fine as it is. I just hope that the banked idea stays as I based that corner on comments that I heard after the A1GP race in Dubai, how having a banked corner really promotes overtaking as it just relies on mechanical grip raher than aerodynamic grip, allowing cars to follow one another much closer (the drivers loved this). I feel that the corkscrew really fits in with the circuit as well as allowing overtaking-leave it alone. The last section is one of the best sections on the circuit-it flows really well & is challenging for drivers. I don't feel that it needs to be changed. Also on top of this I don't feel that the central hairpin is a feature corner anymore, it dosen't stand out from any other hairpin which I feel is a shame, but there we go. Just my opinion....

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 28 Dec 2005, 21:18 (Ref:1491131)   #142
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
Ok then. The turn being banked, i see no reason to change it.

So - do we have a track then?

I'll cook up a proposal for corner names in a sec.
Old 28 Dec 2005, 23:17 (Ref:1491175)   #143
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
A bit more than a sec then .

This is not the final track we've settled on - i just used it as my template

And here's my proposal for names.

Corners:
  1. Arrows Corner
  2. Tyrrell Corner
  3. March Corners
  4. Vanwall Esses
  5. Osella Hairpin
  6. Sauber Curve
  7. Stewart Corners
  8. Lotus Bends
  9. Dallara Corner
  10. Footwork Corner
  11. Minardi Curves
  12. BRM Curves

Straights:
  1. Brabham Straight
  2. Ligier Straight
  3. Jordan Straight
Old 29 Dec 2005, 07:45 (Ref:1491277)   #144
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Dude, why not all come up with a few names for at least or 'own' corners?
Old 29 Dec 2005, 11:36 (Ref:1491365)   #145
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
No disrespect, and maybe I should have raised this earlier; but I think that the corner names should revolve around motorsporting personalities synonymous with success; not just from F1.

We should also this time, use the facilities such as Google Earth - to find a real location for the circuit? Some time ago, I created this circuit;

And did this with it;

What do you guys think as an added feature?

PAUL
Old 29 Dec 2005, 11:56 (Ref:1491372)   #146
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
Quote:
Dude, why not all come up with a few names for at least or 'own' corners?
I'm cool with that - i'd say we should stick to the theme though .
Old 29 Dec 2005, 12:10 (Ref:1491377)   #147
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Yeah, the theme is tops!
Old 29 Dec 2005, 12:11 (Ref:1491378)   #148
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Paul, a bit late for that many changes, dude.

My sister lives in Bunnik, so I could probably spend the night there if there would be a race at your track. Which is quite good, by the way.
Old 29 Dec 2005, 12:42 (Ref:1491384)   #149
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
I don't think Paul intended that to be the track .
Old 29 Dec 2005, 13:13 (Ref:1491399)   #150
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
haha my intention is to showcase that as an idea mate, i.e. put our track in a location. Wow, really that's amazing Lustig - I picked the spot at random. I'm happy to go with the theme then guys

Any ideas, for a location?

PAUL