Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 21 Apr 2006, 09:58 (Ref:1590662)   #126
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
To answer both posts above, I agree with paul-collins in that "tradition" i s huge here. I doubt that this or even later generations of the Hulman family will sell for that reason alone.

Seoigh, IMS is not like any other track in the country, perhaps the world. It plays host to F1, NASCAR and of course the 500 (sanctioning body not nearly as important as this is THE race in the US!). The facility, from size/quality of the grandstands to the paddock to the museum to the golf course plus parking, etc make thi one very valuable property. The revenues generated are enormous.

By saying the France family does not have coin is no slam to them. I am just saying that IMS is one giant revenue-generator all by itself. No offense, but people tend to oversimplify the economics surrounding this facility and those economics make any asking price an astronomical proposition indeed.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 13:19 (Ref:1590877)   #127
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The indy 500 used to be a big tradition, but looking at the numbers it's not what it used to be. Getting tickets for the 500 was like getting tickets for the super bowl, now you can buy blocks of hundreds of tickets for the race. It used to be a month of may with some huge crowds during qualifying, no more. As the years go on, it becomes less and less of a tradition and less and less of an interest to the public.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 13:22 (Ref:1590882)   #128
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Then why did it regain two TV Nielsen rating points in '05, mountainstar?
Old 21 Apr 2006, 13:29 (Ref:1590889)   #129
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Two words, Indycool: Danica Patrick. Half of those two points tuned in to see if she'd actually do something with her talent and the other half tuned in to see her crash.

keke
Old 21 Apr 2006, 13:37 (Ref:1590896)   #130
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh. Could it be that they tuned into it to see what Danica Patrick would do in the Indianapolis 500? They didn't tune in much to see her finish fourth at Motegi.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 15:00 (Ref:1590930)   #131
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Obviously they wanted to see the 4th place winner.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 15:09 (Ref:1590936)   #132
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkeke
Two words, Indycool: Danica Patrick. Half of those two points tuned in to see if she'd actually do something with her talent and the other half tuned in to see her crash.
...and both were rewarded.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 21 Apr 2006, 15:32 (Ref:1590953)   #133
Snips1
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Snips1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
The indy 500 used to be a big tradition, but looking at the numbers it's not what it used to be. Getting tickets for the 500 was like getting tickets for the super bowl, now you can buy blocks of hundreds of tickets for the race. It used to be a month of may with some huge crowds during qualifying, no more. As the years go on, it becomes less and less of a tradition and less and less of an interest to the public.

Sure and when KK and Tracy come back in will all be great
Old 21 Apr 2006, 22:10 (Ref:1591265)   #134
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips1
Sure and when KK and Tracy come back in will all be great
It'll never be the same again. The damage has been done.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 22:20 (Ref:1591278)   #135
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
These are only rumors so take it with what you want, but apparently Tony George isn't agreeing with certain terms with Kevin Kaulkoven. This is according to insiders from Indianapolis. Apparently he wants Champ Car to fold in the IRL and wishes to have still complete control. Also apparently the sponsers and co are angry, I certainly hope this isn't true.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 00:31 (Ref:1591397)   #136
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
These are only rumors so take it with what you want, but apparently Tony George isn't agreeing with certain terms with Kevin Kaulkoven. This is according to insiders from Indianapolis. Apparently he wants Champ Car to fold in the IRL and wishes to have still complete control. Also apparently the sponsers and co are angry, I certainly hope this isn't true.
No one ever just sits down for a merger and all agree straight away, it's give and take.

Tony has expectations, KK & GF have expectations. So the fact that they don't agree on things doesn't really worry me. Just IMO I don't believe Tony's terms and KK & GF's terms will ever get close enough for a merger to be possible.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 03:03 (Ref:1591448)   #137
Seoigh
Racer

United States
Florida
Seoigh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
To answer both posts above, I agree with paul-collins in that "tradition" i s huge here. I doubt that this or even later generations of the Hulman family will sell for that reason alone.

Seoigh, IMS is not like any other track in the country, perhaps the world. It plays host to F1, NASCAR and of course the 500 (sanctioning body not nearly as important as this is THE race in the US!). The facility, from size/quality of the grandstands to the paddock to the museum to the golf course plus parking, etc make thi one very valuable property. The revenues generated are enormous.

By saying the France family does not have coin is no slam to them. I am just saying that IMS is one giant revenue-generator all by itself. No offense, but people tend to oversimplify the economics surrounding this facility and those economics make any asking price an astronomical proposition indeed.
I'm not denigrating the value of IMS, or the 500...but it's not the event it was when my Dad took me there in the 60's...and the '05 F1 race made that event essentially worthless from a future revenue standpoint...though that may change in a few years...I think all agree a merger makes a very compelling case for everyone.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 02:49 (Ref:1592367)   #138
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
Tell you what is floating around Indy. The DP-01 is primarily a road course car within a spec price range and CC is pulling out of ovals with only Milwaukee on the schedule this year and that contract up after this year. Why would CC build a car that leans to ovals? I'll talk to some engineers -- again -- but one told me already that the high nose on the thing would spear a cockpit in a high-speed oval crash against a sideways car or possibly cause it to flip on frontal contact. There's a start.
From the initial press release:
Quote:
The new design also features safety innovations that include upgrades to the head surround and seat back areas as well as increased leg padding. The design also incorporates a collapsible steering column, new side intrusion panels and a two-stage nose crush and a rear crash structure for oval events.
http://www.motorsport.com/news/artic...07&FS=CHAMPCAR

Seems to me the DP01 ought to be worthy of consideration, anyway.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 23 Apr 2006, 03:12 (Ref:1592375)   #139
indycool
Veteran

paul, I can't link it, but some of that is already in place in IRL cars. Rear crash structure has been developed on IRL cars from attenuators, to collapsible gearboxes, to etc. And that's not only for oval tracks. If you recall just recently, there was a back injury at Long Beach in the new Swift Atlantic chassis.

The upgrades to seat back padding and the cockpit have been made through the years in the IRL chassis independent of the Lolas CC have been using. Side intrusion panels have been beefed up in IRL cars with changes to the sidepods.

John Melvin, the safety expert in many forms of auto racing, said that a different seat position might negate back injuries but INCREASE neck injuries and judges it a tradeoff.

This is, IMO, not all new technology, but learned from development of safety features for IRL cars, maybe expanded, but in large measure already in place.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 06:09 (Ref:1592457)   #140
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For anyone who wants a reminder of how things used to be, and may be again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO05KVS53uo&search=Road%20America]1994 Texaco-Havoline 200

Penske's three amigos. Villeneuve's first win. A Road America with fans packing the hillsides. Live it up.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 10:29 (Ref:1592613)   #141
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Yep I've downloaded all those races from the '90s from Rapidshare that the guy uploads from his video collection. I was going to link the online viewing as well but I did this before and it was against forum rules as it could be illegal so what out Fish_Flake...
Old 23 Apr 2006, 11:22 (Ref:1592651)   #142
Seoigh
Racer

United States
Florida
Seoigh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank You!
Old 23 Apr 2006, 11:37 (Ref:1592663)   #143
Snips1
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Snips1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke

Other rumors say that KK only wants 4 ovasl on the new schedule and wants the IRL to merge with CC plus having full control.......
Old 24 Apr 2006, 10:13 (Ref:1593632)   #144
indycool
Veteran

Well, Snips, if that's true, is there a reason for TG to say "no?"
Old 24 Apr 2006, 10:40 (Ref:1593642)   #145
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips1
Other rumors say that KK only wants 4 ovasl on the new schedule and wants the IRL to merge with CC plus having full control.......
I find that pretty unlikely.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 15:13 (Ref:1593816)   #146
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Well, Snips, if that's true, is there a reason for TG to say "no?"
There isn't as KK isn't like that and both wouldn't offer that bad a deal to the other side. However if one is true I think the one that Tony would want control would be more likely based on past events.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 15:18 (Ref:1593820)   #147
indycool
Veteran

luke, it takes two to tango. KK and TG either make music or they don't. But if they don't, past practice indicates that fans of either the IRL or CC will blame the other's leader for the failure when we may never really know what the sticking points are to realistically judge them for ourselves.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 17:24 (Ref:1593936)   #148
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
luke, it takes two to tango. KK and TG either make music or they don't. But if they don't, past practice indicates that fans of either the IRL or CC will blame the other's leader for the failure when we may never really know what the sticking points are to realistically judge them for ourselves.
Did you not read my post?

Anyways, here is some info on the current TV deals and where it stands:

Quote:
The man who negotiated the Indy Racing League's television package says there are provisions in the deal for a unified open-wheel series.

Buddy McAtee, the vice president and executive producer for IMS Productions, tells the Indianapolis Star that ABC and ESPN would have the right of first refusal to air races if and when a merger takes place.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 18:04 (Ref:1593981)   #149
indycool
Veteran

Yes, I read your post. And hinted at TG already being the "fall guy." That's why I said we really don't know what either would be the "fall guy" for and probably won't hear all the dynamics of it, but fans of both series will be blaming the opposite's leader, anyway.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 18:33 (Ref:1594004)   #150
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Well I didn't give the full link to the article at TSN!

Here it is:

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story.asp?id=163409