Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 7 Aug 2006, 23:26 (Ref:1677132)   #126
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't seen much of a mention of this and I am suprised. I read that Aus GT is going to be an exclusive support class to the V8 Supercars. Isn't this a very, very bad thing? It means it is impossible to the GT's racing at any Bathurst 12 Hour...

Hasn't AVESCO just killed the (competing) Bathurst 12 Hour by signing them onto the support card?

It also rules out Channel 10 covering them, assuming they ever had any interest in it.
Old 7 Aug 2006, 23:35 (Ref:1677136)   #127
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna05
With the reviews of the VE SS-V floating around, I look forward to seeing an RX-8SP taking on a VE GT!

I think the MPS 6 will be a monster accross the top, and will take the WRX/EVO's to task!
A Ralliart-prepped Evo IX (as rumoured to be under development) with the right drivers at the wheel and all the goodies in the diff & suspension areas would be the rocketship that would be difficult to catch.

Across the top or anywhere...

Big question would hang around keeping the engine alive at the higher boost levels for that length of time, given the turbo cops a mega workout climbing hills for 1/2 the day.

Please consider?
“Although people make unpleasant comments when things I write do not come true, I am simply keeping readers up to speed of what is being discussed. If things turn out differently, it does not mean that these things were never discussed. Still, as I often say, you can take what I write or ignore it - and I really do not care. I’m simply trying to let you into the world of such discussions in F1.” - Joe Saward, Green Notebook from Saint-Doulchard
Old 7 Aug 2006, 23:55 (Ref:1677148)   #128
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan
I haven't seen much of a mention of this and I am suprised. I read that Aus GT is going to be an exclusive support class to the V8 Supercars. Isn't this a very, very bad thing? It means it is impossible to the GT's racing at any Bathurst 12 Hour...

Hasn't AVESCO just killed the (competing) Bathurst 12 Hour by signing them onto the support card?

It also rules out Channel 10 covering them, assuming they ever had any interest in it.
If you read post from myself and gmonline and a few others in this thread you will know that AUs GT is not elligable for the 12 hour.
At the risk of repeating myself again the idea of the 12 hour is for production cars, not sportscars, cars such as evo lancer, wrx, gt falcon, hsv, ss , xr8/xr6 turbo, bmw, etc.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 8 Aug 2006, 02:43 (Ref:1677203)   #129
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama
If you read post from myself and gmonline and a few others in this thread you will know that AUs GT is not elligable for the 12 hour.
At the risk of repeating myself again the idea of the 12 hour is for production cars, not sportscars, cars such as evo lancer, wrx, gt falcon, hsv, ss , xr8/xr6 turbo, bmw, etc.
Sorry to make you repeat yourself.

I didn't realise they had already done the regs for the 12 Hour.

Last edited by RotorFan; 8 Aug 2006 at 02:46.
Old 8 Aug 2006, 05:45 (Ref:1677261)   #130
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan

well thats an interesting thought. I dont understand why VESA felt the need to have exclusive contracts with its support categories.

These other events dont really pose a threat to VESA events, so I am left scratching my head.
Old 8 Aug 2006, 09:32 (Ref:1677436)   #131
stmorri
Veteran

stmorri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
well thats an interesting thought. I dont understand why VESA felt the need to have exclusive contracts with its support categories.

These other events dont really pose a threat to VESA events, so I am left scratching my head.
I'm not so sure about that. The GTP category is a much closer reflection of what the original Bathurst 500 and later Bathurst 1000 concepts were all about. Performance road-going saloon cars, and is also much closer to Group A touring cars that were replaced by the V8 category. Personally I think it is a much more interesting category than the V8's and it is a shame that VESA will probably stop it from growing to it's full potential.
Old 8 Aug 2006, 10:21 (Ref:1677473)   #132
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Are GTP a full time VESA support? I remember reading the list, must have skimmed over GTP ?
Old 8 Aug 2006, 10:45 (Ref:1677486)   #133
stmorri
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Are GTP a full time VESA support? I remember reading the list, must have skimmed over GTP ?
D.R.T. look at the 7th post on the first page by racer69, about the 12hr race incorporating GTP and APCC.
Old 8 Aug 2006, 11:34 (Ref:1677526)   #134
D.R.T.
Veteran

Ok, I can see the angle now.
Old 9 Aug 2006, 12:54 (Ref:1678386)   #135
AussieV8
Veteran

Australia
Orange, NSW Australia
AussieV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the the 07 12hr is run similar to the ones in the 90's and maybe with a $100k cap it should evolve to a great event. Having bog stock cars (with a few adjustments for safety) would be more apealing than having some of those exotics.....Having the family mans 6cyl class full of variety from Holden, Ford, Mitsu, Toyo and throw in a Sonata V6 the eye would be on who has the staying power. The AWD class would be on with Mitsu and Subie at it with a MPS6 and maybe an Euro pushing the Aussie blokes V8's and lapping the 1.6ltr littlens every few laps could be a an event that may eclipse the old ones for excitement. If it's well marketed and gets many manufactures behind it we could be surprised with the crowd....I will be there anyway.
Old 9 Aug 2006, 14:35 (Ref:1678441)   #136
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting to see the 1000m speeds on the latest PCOTY tests for Motor Magazine. (especially as the MPS-3 is quicker than the MPS-6... mind you, I didn't know it was the same motor until I read the article!)

IF they go for similar regs for this event as they did in the 90's (arguably the precurser for the PROCAR GT-P category) you will get some serious speed out of some of the middle-range classes.
Old 9 Aug 2006, 15:05 (Ref:1678469)   #137
pplater
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
pplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely.

If memory serves me right, the quickest Procar GTP machine was Holt's Evo, with 2:28 or so... that's not too shabby IMHO.
Old 10 Aug 2006, 03:25 (Ref:1678905)   #138
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow! That's only a second faster than Paul Stubber's '69 Camaro, with drum brakes and crossply tyres.
Old 10 Aug 2006, 04:52 (Ref:1678924)   #139
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And 400hp less..........
Old 10 Aug 2006, 05:33 (Ref:1678934)   #140
stmorri
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplater
Absolutely.

If memory serves me right, the quickest Procar GTP machine was Holt's Evo, with 2:28 or so... that's not too shabby IMHO.
I think the latest offerings from Holden and Ford might be quicker than that as the long straights might suit them better......any opinions?
Old 10 Aug 2006, 09:06 (Ref:1679057)   #141
Christopher
Racer

Australia
Peak Crossing, Queensland.
Christopher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Yep I agree, a VE GTS and a Supercharged (hopefully) GT Falcon be quicker on the straights, especially going up the mountain.
Old 10 Aug 2006, 09:13 (Ref:1679063)   #142
pplater
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
pplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Supercharged?

The 'Phoon makes much more sense than a GT / XR8.

Besides, from a marketing perspective, the V8 engined cars have the supercars to promote them (not that there is much in common there...)

The F6 beating off STI's Evo's and HSVs might help their image a little.
Old 10 Aug 2006, 09:37 (Ref:1679081)   #143
Christopher
Racer

Australia
Peak Crossing, Queensland.
Christopher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, a F6 be handy as well and as you said be good marketing against the Turbo EVO and STi's. As for the Supercharged GT, I'm wondering whether it will be available when the BF2 comes out in a few months.
Old 13 Aug 2006, 22:39 (Ref:1681643)   #144
AussieV8
Veteran

Australia
Orange, NSW Australia
Exotics out of Bathurst 12-Hour

Expensive and exotic marques such as Porsche, Ferrari and Lamborghini will be banned from the revived Bathurst 12-Hour to be held at Mount Panorama next Easter, organisers say.

In a sign that the race will be kept for mass produced models with a price limit, the Bathurst International Motor Festival event director James O'Brien pre-empted the likely ousting of the millionaires' playthings.

Plans for the 12-Hour race are moving in the right direction after category manager Spherix (Bill West and Craig Denyer) and O’Brien, spent the last few weeks meeting with vehicle manufacturers and importers to canvas opinions.

The race's class structure is expected to be made public during August.

Mazda Australia's motor racing manager Allan Horsley said he was encouraged by his talks with the event people as they formulate eligibility criteria and technical regulations.

Horsley, whose factory RX-7 cars won the last three Bathurst 12-Hours in the early 1990s, says he is encouraged that organisers are planning for the 2007 race to be based on ‘regular’ production models with a price ceiling to avoid high-performance, low-volume sporting thoroughbreds.

"Allow race specials into the 12-Hour, and all other manufacturers will run a mile," he warned.

Horsley also is in favour of the regulations banning any modifications other than safety equipment, so the race would become a genuine consumers' guide to the reliability and performance (and economy) of today's cars

Race organisers say the car companies they've spoken with about 12-Hour participation have welcomed inclusion of a diesel or hybrid category.

Horsley anticipates great contests between hot hatches, the mid-sized sedans and large family cars.

He's happy for V8s to be allowed into the race, even though the rising petrol prices have hurt their appeal with consumers.

"I don't think they can win, anyway," Horsley said.

Debate is also ongoing among fans and the race community over whether all sports cars should be kept out of the 12-Hour; many believe the event should be limited to sedans and hatches.
Old 14 Aug 2006, 01:33 (Ref:1681698)   #145
pplater
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Where'd you pull that from? not exactly any news there.
Old 14 Aug 2006, 06:30 (Ref:1681787)   #146
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Say what! It looks like news to me and good news at that.
Old 14 Aug 2006, 07:10 (Ref:1681802)   #147
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
So, is a Mazda SP, Ford XR/GT-P, an HSV considered "mass produced"?

Clubbies arent exactly low volume....
Old 16 Aug 2006, 11:34 (Ref:1684075)   #148
pplater
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
It's been public knowledge for weeks that the 12 hour will be GT-Performance and APCC based. There will be two diesel classes. KIA, Alfa Romeo, Mazda, Subaru and Mitsubishi are very keen. Not sure about Ford and Holden. Rumour has it that VAG are not interested in a one-off race...
Old 16 Aug 2006, 12:25 (Ref:1684132)   #149
AussieV8
Veteran

Australia
Orange, NSW Australia
I copied it from my Mazda site as one of the members posted it...
Old 16 Aug 2006, 12:29 (Ref:1684137)   #150
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Holden and Ford may not be keen, but there are guys out there who will buy a GTS or GT/F6 and probably get some meagre support....

But, if those marques are keen for the race, that logically means we'll have cars for the GTP/APCC series that they will be sorting out and using afterwards! Exciting times!