Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 29 May 2008, 16:29 (Ref:2214770)   #126
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well this will probably have a somewhat negative effect on the car count for the PLM and Laguna ALMS races. ACO news

L.P.
Old 29 May 2008, 16:55 (Ref:2214783)   #127
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
Well this will probably have a somewhat negative effect on the car count for the PLM and Laguna ALMS races. ACO news

L.P.
The best format for an Asian Le Mans Series would be 3/4 1000km races in the off season. Shanghai and Fuji would be obvious choices.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 29 May 2008, 21:42 (Ref:2214947)   #128
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't be negative if they weren't there to begin with.
Old 30 May 2008, 00:31 (Ref:2215006)   #129
Malfunction Junction
Racer

Malfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMalfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's no question that Japan isn't the hotbed of sportscar racing it was in the 80's. An Asian series has much more potential, but with little history, piggy-backing with another series is going to be inevitable to start with. 4 or maybe 5 races would be as much as it could stand I suspect.

They could do worse than dovetail with some A1GP events, perhaps 4 hour races on Saturdays after A1 qualifying? Could have a twilight finish with lights and set up for the next day quite nicely. I'd avoid novelty tracks, because I always prefer to see big fast sportscars on a big fast track.....

Sepang & Shanghai (if A1 ever goes back) should be great for it. You could stretch it to Bahrain or Dubai if you really wanted to.

If GP2 continue to run an Asian series over the "off season", I don't see why they couldn't be a potential double act either, when they're not in pocket with F1.

Despite what I wrote above, you could always add a tie in to Le Mans, ie make the series 24 hours of racing, so 4x6 hour events etc.

Last edited by Malfunction Junction; 30 May 2008 at 00:36.
Old 30 May 2008, 11:49 (Ref:2215263)   #130
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddsc
Not altogether true. SRO is still pushing for this to happen and it wasn't rejected by the WMC - but yes, there is manufacturer opposition to it.
That is most likley SROs side of the story. SRO will be SOL unless they adapt the new ACO/FIA rules.

The "outline" of the new rules to be released during the LM24 in a few weeks. The outline wil not have all the technical details, but strong start of the dialog between manufactures currently involved in racing, the ACO and FIA.

Manufactures who introduce a new race car to the ACO race series, by PLM would also be invited into the dialog. my guess that would be BMW and possibly Lexus. ( SWGT has mentioned that Lexus will introduce cars their SW Touring series in the next race or two).

I get the impression ( wild guess here) that th ACO and FIA set the rules. SRO is a 'promotor' not a rule maker. Also wild guess here, if SRO says they will adapt the new ACO/FIA rules they would also be invited into the dialog.

But until then . . . SOL
Old 30 May 2008, 13:37 (Ref:2215325)   #131
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG

L.P.

Nobody was planning on going to Shanghai, (which is why it was cancelled), so I don't think it really has any affect on PLM or Laguna.

Having said that, the ACO had to "rescue" a series with little interest, and then cancel a race with less interest, but they are confident that they will run a series in Asia next year with lots of interest. Right.

News bulletin for the ACO. If the race isn't in Europe, or near Europe, don't schedule it. Brazil doesn't work, China doesn't work.... stick to Europe.
Old 30 May 2008, 15:55 (Ref:2215400)   #132
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we will see many european cars for PLM/Laguna. Have a look on the dollar/euro ratio, the race is mostly " pay one, get one for free" atm
Horag is thinking about it and many others will do too
Old 30 May 2008, 16:02 (Ref:2215402)   #133
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ger80
I think we will see many european cars for PLM/Laguna. Have a look on the dollar/euro ratio, the race is mostly " pay one, get one for free" atm
It would be worth it if just Peugeot and a GT1 team or two showed up to PLM and Laguna!

DK
Old 30 May 2008, 16:29 (Ref:2215415)   #134
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1
It would be worth it if just Peugeot and a GT1 team or two showed up to PLM and Laguna!

DK
I would suggest that we'll see Zytek and Creation as per usual, and probably a Pug. Horag also seems likely.

It would be nice to see Charouz and van Merkstein (sp?) as well for that matter, but I'm not expecting it.

It would also be nice for AMR to come over, as a sort of swan song for the car, but again not expecting it.
Old 30 May 2008, 16:39 (Ref:2215421)   #135
mattcat
Veteran

United States
West Palm Beach, FL
mattcat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
I would suggest that we'll see Zytek and Creation as per usual, and probably a Pug. Horag also seems likely.

It would be nice to see Charouz and van Merkstein (sp?) as well for that matter, but I'm not expecting it.

It would also be nice for AMR to come over, as a sort of swan song for the car, but again not expecting it.
Man I really would love to see the Peugeot at Petit. The Charouz too. The Pug was the highlight of my trip to Sebring this year, much as I suspect it will be the highlight of my trip to Petit, should they come over.
Old 30 May 2008, 17:46 (Ref:2215468)   #136
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
And we need Spyker of course ....
Kruse would be nice, first time 2 Mazdas in one race and I would like to see the closed LMP2 Lola to compare with Penske ...
Old 30 May 2008, 17:47 (Ref:2215469)   #137
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Atlanta to Laguna is still ~ 2500 miles one way. quite a distance.
Old 30 May 2008, 17:53 (Ref:2215473)   #138
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Atlanta to Laguna is still ~ 2500 miles one way. quite a distance.
But this 2500 miles are mostly nothing compared to the cost of sending the cars in the US...
Old 30 May 2008, 20:08 (Ref:2215555)   #139
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
But this 2500 miles are mostly nothing compared to the cost of sending the cars in the US...
Maybe. Then why did not the Euro teams do it last year or the year before and the year before that?

Not likely to happen that Euro teams do PLM and Laguna three weeks latter.

Remember most cars are almost completely torn apart and rebuilt between races.
Old 31 May 2008, 07:43 (Ref:2215746)   #140
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund

Now that would be HOT to have the other 2/3 private Porsches here. Then Dyson can see where they stack up.

With the tiny GT1 field, you could squeeze in a few more LMP1/2's for PLM...

In fact GT1 has always been about 4-5 cars max anyway, I can only think of a couple of years it was more than 4...

Back on Topic -

I think Super GT would have to desolve before JLM could get off the ground, but I still say call it Asia-Pacific and have at least one race in AU if not two or three...

However the Japanese might feel their brand of GT racing fits their market just fine and it seems like the teams have no interest in going to Le Mans outside of hardcores like Dome who is speciality car maker anyway and not racing in the JGTC.

Japan has always needed to create their own set of rules to insure competitive racing with other brands. With 80% of their cars being FWD 4 cyl powered and only expensive GT coupes are FWD or AWD (always need to be converted back to RWD since nobody wants AWD in GT racing) and need to rely on purpose built racing cars to be competitive.

That's why Le Mans for the most part was only contended by the Japansese when the entered the more open Prototype classes.

Its only recently that the Japanese have been able to challenge the Big German Luxo giants with performance simlar or equal to BWM's M divison, Benz's AMG divsion and Audi's RS lineup of cars, but still don't have quite the selection at many price points.

The Lexus LF-A Hybrid is possible in its JLMC

Other than Toyota I really don't see any other companies involved JLMC/Le Mans otherwise they would be backing DOME IMHO.
Old 13 Jun 2008, 19:21 (Ref:2228016)   #141
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmm, interesting survey #'s from this ACO poll. link
From the survey results it seems that there is a chance for the series. Quality of entrants and promotion would help greatly with its acceptance in the region, IMO. I also believe it should be a Pan Pacific series with a round in Australia.

L.P.
Old 4 Oct 2008, 02:43 (Ref:2303800)   #142
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
"Chief Operating Officer Tim Mayer also announced two opportunities for teams to participate in post-season Le Mans races in Japan and China. In a partnership announced by the Automobile Club de l'Ouest (ACO) in June at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, Japan begins a Le Mans-style series in 2009. Up to 10 teams from the American Le Mans Series will be invited to join teams from Europe's Le Mans Series as well as Asian teams in two November events - Nov. 1 and Nov. 8 - held respectively in Mt. Fuji, Japan and Shanghai, China"
November 1, Mt. Fuji, Japan
November 8, Shanghai, China

http://www.americanlemans.com/News/Article.aspx?ID=4841
Old 4 Oct 2008, 04:55 (Ref:2303823)   #143
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1000k events I presume?
Old 4 Oct 2008, 09:40 (Ref:2303882)   #144
kingkai
Racer

Netherlands
Amsterdam
kingkai should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still hope for a Suzuka round. Maybe merge the 1000 km Pokka race
Old 4 Oct 2008, 17:40 (Ref:2304167)   #145
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely, would be a hoot to see a prototype on Suzuka in 130R!
Old 6 Oct 2008, 00:57 (Ref:2305074)   #146
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Hopefully with Acura/Honda already in ALMS hopefully Toyota follows. Wonder if Acura would race at Fuji??
Old 6 Oct 2008, 09:39 (Ref:2305226)   #147
kingkai
Racer

Netherlands
Amsterdam
kingkai should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie
Now that would be HOT to have the other 2/3 private Porsches here. Then Dyson can see where they stack up.

With the tiny GT1 field, you could squeeze in a few more LMP1/2's for PLM...

In fact GT1 has always been about 4-5 cars max anyway, I can only think of a couple of years it was more than 4...

Back on Topic -

I think Super GT would have to desolve before JLM could get off the ground, but I still say call it Asia-Pacific and have at least one race in AU if not two or three...

However the Japanese might feel their brand of GT racing fits their market just fine and it seems like the teams have no interest in going to Le Mans outside of hardcores like Dome who is speciality car maker anyway and not racing in the JGTC.

Japan has always needed to create their own set of rules to insure competitive racing with other brands. With 80% of their cars being FWD 4 cyl powered and only expensive GT coupes are FWD or AWD (always need to be converted back to RWD since nobody wants AWD in GT racing) and need to rely on purpose built racing cars to be competitive.

That's why Le Mans for the most part was only contended by the Japansese when the entered the more open Prototype classes.

Its only recently that the Japanese have been able to challenge the Big German Luxo giants with performance simlar or equal to BWM's M divison, Benz's AMG divsion and Audi's RS lineup of cars, but still don't have quite the selection at many price points.

The Lexus LF-A Hybrid is possible in its JLMC

Other than Toyota I really don't see any other companies involved JLMC/Le Mans otherwise they would be backing DOME IMHO.
Don't forget that the Honda NSX in the SuperGT is run by Dome. At least one team and if I'm correct they are also built by dome.

I think with the new GT1/2 cars due in 2010 the Nissan GTR will also make its appearance in the new GT1. They are allready getting a GTR ready for next years 24h Nurburgring if I translated an article correct some weeks ago.
Old 7 Oct 2008, 16:04 (Ref:2306221)   #148
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkai
Don't forget that the Honda NSX in the SuperGT is run by Dome. At least one team and if I'm correct they are also built by dome.

I think with the new GT1/2 cars due in 2010 the Nissan GTR will also make its appearance in the new GT1. They are allready getting a GTR ready for next years 24h Nurburgring if I translated an article correct some weeks ago.
I think everybody is assigning Dome to strictly to any single brand! I believe they should be taken more in the light of Lola, being able to build their own cars or be contracted to produce cars for multiple customers at the same time.

L.P.
Old 7 Oct 2008, 16:16 (Ref:2306229)   #149
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359
1000k events I presume?

There will be 2 races each at the Mt Fuji and Shanghai events in 09 equaling 4 races in total, so I would think they will be shorter than 1000k. Source at about 17:30 (podcast).

L.P.
Old 8 Oct 2008, 02:45 (Ref:2306554)   #150
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
Subaru_WRX_STi has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
they should run a race at Sepang too, the Super GT event there is very popular