Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 6 Sep 2007, 18:01 (Ref:2005466)   #126
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
Interesting that she qualified on the front row at sonoma and mid ohio and that this system "has been used for the last few races" hmmmmmmm........
Oh I agree.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 20:16 (Ref:2005618)   #127
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Ok, I give up! Despite repeating multiple times that per Barnhart Danica has NOT used the new device in a race, some of y'all are still going on about how the IRL will "stop at nothing" to get her a race win.

Apparently the IRL will stop at something and that something is to not give this to her during a race.

I know, it just takes all the fun out of it for all you Conspiracy Theorists out there as I suppose that a thread titled: "The IRL Will Stop at Nothing to get Darren Manning a Win" just doesn't have the right sound to it.

Of course there is always the weight rule which, if driver weight meant anything than Sam Hornish should never ever win a race...

But go on ahead with the conspiracy thing as facts don't seem to be troubling you too very much...

Oh, and thank you luke for clarifying that you are not actually mountainstar - I am sure he is relieved to hear that!
NO. I never said that Danicar used the power steering 'device' during Belle Isle. I did say what a big advantage it would be on a 2 hour street race.

And No. We didn't say Manning was OK with this as well this. this thread is about Danica not Manning.

If I was a IRL driver I would be very annoyed.

Danica has a 50 pound weight advantage but still can't win a race despite all her chances as she just makes mistakes. On a road course when driver talent is required at it's maximum Danica qualified for the race in the middle of the field at her best performances. When she was testing the 'new power-assist steering' at Mid-Ohio & Sears Point... Danica qualified on the front row of the grid. Amazing considering she struggled before at them.

Other Indy Racing League drivers wern't aware she was running the 'new power-assist steering' in races (other than Manning) and were understandably angry when they found out last weekend at the Detroit Indy Grand Prix at Belle Isle.

When it was removed from her car in Detroit she qualified at mid-pack and 2 full seconds off the pace.

I'm annoyed that big and strong drivers wont have their advantage they earned now that it will be easier to steer and drive for all in 2008. I wish the IRL weighed the drivers and race cars in one and use weight-ballast to make everyone equal.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 20:31 (Ref:2005628)   #128
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think big and strong drivers have an unfair advantage and that this should be evened up. They should either be forced to lose muscle or drive with 5p pieces for steering wheels. It's as ludicrous as being lighter than others!

Old 6 Sep 2007, 20:39 (Ref:2005637)   #129
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
I think big and strong drivers have an unfair advantage and that this should be evened up. They should either be forced to lose muscle or drive with 5p pieces for steering wheels. It's as ludicrous as being lighter than others!

Do small/light people earn being small/light? Don't think so..Like I said those that worked hard to be fit and stronger to endure race conditions along with skill won't be needed in 2008. Certainly not the level of before.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 20:42 (Ref:2005641)   #130
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A crying shame.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 21:01 (Ref:2005659)   #131
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Oh definately.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 21:06 (Ref:2005661)   #132
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
NO. I never said that Danicar used the power steering 'device' during Belle Isle. I did say what a big advantage it would be on a 2 hour street race.

And No. We didn't say Manning was OK with this as well this. this thread is about Danica not Manning.

If I was a IRL driver I would be very annoyed.

Danica has a 50 pound weight advantage but still can't win a race despite all her chances as she just makes mistakes. On a road course when driver talent is required at it's maximum Danica qualified for the race in the middle of the field at her best performances. When she was testing the 'new power-assist steering' at Mid-Ohio & Sears Point... Danica qualified on the front row of the grid. Amazing considering she struggled before at them.

Other Indy Racing League drivers wern't aware she was running the 'new power-assist steering' in races (other than Manning) and were understandably angry when they found out last weekend at the Detroit Indy Grand Prix at Belle Isle.

When it was removed from her car in Detroit she qualified at mid-pack and 2 full seconds off the pace.

I'm annoyed that big and strong drivers wont have their advantage they earned now that it will be easier to steer and drive for all in 2008. I wish the IRL weighed the drivers and race cars in one and use weight-ballast to make everyone equal.
Luke, you are on the money here. I almost wanted to cut and past it and won it as my own.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 09:52 (Ref:2005941)   #133
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I think the grids should be handicapped based on:

1) Team Budget
2) Driver Weight
3) Driver IQ
4) Driver's Cardiovascular Stress Test Results

I mean luke is right! Is it fair that Dario drives for a well funded team and gets everything he needs? Is it fair that Danica has smaller feet so she can operate the pedals more effectively? Is it fair that Manning is taller and can see over the bodywork more easily? Is it fair that TK is both quick and smart? Is it fair that Helio is good-looking and lighter than Sam Hornish?

No! None of this is fair! That is why there should be a Department of the Handicapper General. someone should be adding ballast, taking away brain cells, and spreading the cash fairly.

You know, for all the blather I read about fair and let the best driver/team win, reading the above is like reading something from a Vonnegut short story. But no, we are treated to missives about the dreaded weight advantage. Well, if that were the determining factor (or even a principal factor) than the heavier drivers should almost never win and the lighter drivers should almost never lose.

Of course if anyone cares to explain how Michael Andretti could be the all-time race win leader in the CART days and he raced at over 180, or how AJ Foyt could have won at his weight as many races as he did over lighter drivers, please feel free to fill me in on that "anomaly."

So based on weight, Dixon at 5' 10" and 150 lbs vs Dario Franchitti at 5' 9" and 155 lbs, Dario stands no chance at Chicagoland Sunday. Game Over. How did that tub 'o lard Franchitti ever win a race? It just isn't fair!

Last edited by JohnSSC; 7 Sep 2007 at 09:56.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 10:07 (Ref:2005950)   #134
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
I think the grids should be handicapped based on:

1) Team Budget
2) Driver Weight
3) Driver IQ
4) Driver's Cardiovascular Stress Test Results

I mean luke is right! Is it fair that Dario drives for a well funded team and gets everything he needs? Is it fair that Danica has smaller feet so she can operate the pedals more effectively? Is it fair that Manning is taller and can see over the bodywork more easily? Is it fair that TK is both quick and smart? Is it fair that Helio is good-looking and lighter than Sam Hornish?

No! None of this is fair! That is why there should be a Department of the Handicapper General. someone should be adding ballast, taking away brain cells, and spreading the cash fairly.

You know, for all the blather I read about fair and let the best driver/team win, reading the above is like reading something from a Vonnegut short story. But no, we are treated to missives about the dreaded weight advantage. Well, if that were the determining factor (or even a principal factor) than the heavier drivers should almost never win and the lighter drivers should almost never lose.

Of course if anyone cares to explain how Michael Andretti could be the all-time race win leader in the CART days and he raced at over 180, or how AJ Foyt could have won at his weight as many races as he did over lighter drivers, please feel free to fill me in on that "anomaly."

So based on weight, Dixon at 5' 10" and 150 lbs vs Dario Franchitti at 5' 9" and 155 lbs, Dario stands no chance at Chicagoland Sunday. Game Over. How did that tub 'o lard Franchitti ever win a race? It just isn't fair!
Ridiculous.

In other series they weigh both drivers and car so it's all the same. You just made a mountain out of a mole hill.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 10:11 (Ref:2005953)   #135
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Again Luke on the money.

I have to say though we are off topic.

Will Danica ever win a race?
Old 7 Sep 2007, 10:35 (Ref:2005973)   #136
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I made a mountain out of a mole hill? There has been quite a bit of banging on about unfair advantages, and if we are discussing whether a driver or any driver will win a race than this is certainly on topic.

So I would posit that when painting anything as "ridiculous" one may find that using such a brush may cover more than the posts that one disagrees with.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 13:24 (Ref:2006090)   #137
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you two want to get a private forum to yourselves and have a fight to the death? That's about 4 threads I've read today that have become arguments. Let's all settle down and enjoy a nice calming Friday. Ahhhhhhh
Old 7 Sep 2007, 13:26 (Ref:2006092)   #138
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Danica on winning

Quote:
"For one, I'm competing against guys so right off the bat it's different.

"I'm not so worried about that first win, I want it to come, I want it to be over with but I've been racing up front every weekend and that's a big relief for me because the wins will come.
http://yahooxtra.net.nz/sport/0,,14594-7854202,00.html
Old 7 Sep 2007, 15:01 (Ref:2006147)   #139
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Well atleast she never lacks self belief.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 15:02 (Ref:2006148)   #140
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC
Again Luke on the money.

I have to say though we are off topic.

Will Danica ever win a race?
Thanks.

And I do believe she can win one day. But under 'different' circumstances to a normal race. However she is in a top team and valuable set up and experience at her feet. I'm sure Vitor Meria would have won this year if he had the seat. But like I said; we'll see.

Last edited by luke; 7 Sep 2007 at 15:05.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 15:22 (Ref:2006156)   #141
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To put all this in perspective, she has never won a car race of any kind. Ever.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 18:25 (Ref:2006270)   #142
Davhut
Racer

Davhut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't bet my pay on it.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 20:14 (Ref:2006368)   #143
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Toyota Pro-Celeb 2002?

... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 7 Sep 2007, 20:18 (Ref:2006371)   #144
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
Toyota Pro-Celeb 2002?
Who's the puppy
Old 7 Sep 2007, 22:52 (Ref:2006449)   #145
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
Toyota Pro-Celeb 2002?

Good job she beat non racers really!
Old 7 Sep 2007, 23:05 (Ref:2006458)   #146
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
As someone who doesn't know her career intimately, I wonder, is this a fact?

(joke pro-celeb aside)
Old 7 Sep 2007, 23:19 (Ref:2006461)   #147
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
I believe it is Adam.

We know she had a highish postion at the Formula Ford Festival at Brands Hatch one year because there was a last lap crash but I don't believe she has ever won a race, not even in karting?
Old 7 Sep 2007, 23:20 (Ref:2006463)   #148
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
As someone who doesn't know her career intimately, I wonder, is this a fact?

(joke pro-celeb aside)
Yup. Some second places in formula ford and atlantic and that's it.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 23:31 (Ref:2006470)   #149
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Racing Career Highlights
Third in Formula Toyota Atlantic 2004.
Runner up in Formula Ford Festival 2000.

IRL IndyCar Series
16 races. 0 wins. 0 pole positions. 3 podiums. 1 fastest lap.

IRL IndyCar Series
Championship position: 9 (302 points)
13 races. 0 wins. 0 pole positions. 0 podiums.

IRL IndyCar Series
Championship position: 12 (325 points)
17 races. 0 wins. 3 pole positions. 0 podiums.

Formula Toyota Atlantic
Championship position: 3 (269 points)
12 races. 0 wins. 1 pole position. 3 podiums.

American Le Mans Series GTS
Championship position: 23 (10 points)
1 race. 0 wins. 0 pole positions. 0 podiums.

Formula Toyota Atlantic
Championship position: 6 (109 points)
12 races. 0 wins. 0 pole positions. 2 podiums.

Barber Dodge Pro Series
Championship position: 13 (35 points)
5 races. 0 wins. 0 pole positions. 0 podiums.

UK Formula Ford Championship
Championship position: 25 (10 points)
? races. ? wins. ? pole positions. ? podiums.

European Formula Ford Championship
Championship position: no position

Formula Ford Festival
Race position: 2.

UK Formula Ford Championship
Championship position: 19 (3 points)
4 races. 0 wins. 0 pole positions. 0 podiums.

Formula Vauxhall
Championship position: 9 (31 points)

Source
http://www.driverdb.com/racingdriver229.html

Speaks for itself really
Old 7 Sep 2007, 23:58 (Ref:2006485)   #150
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There are some ? However, danke.