Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 27 Jun 2016, 11:08 (Ref:3655369)   #1476
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Maybe Rebellion want to run a prototype in the top class, as their first option no matter what.

That's certainly my understanding.
Old 27 Jun 2016, 14:37 (Ref:3655402)   #1477
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
No i can't see them wanting to step down a class or two, they are happy in LMP1 and with the exception of le mans doing quite well this year
Old 28 Jun 2016, 00:22 (Ref:3655510)   #1478
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They have two goals.
A) To be part of -quaranteed- grid at Le Mans
B) Be in hunt for overall glory - not necessarily in WEC but overall anywhere... but the lamo rulings of modern ELMS and IMSA are preventing that unless they go P2 of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden on S365 last Fall
“It’s [North America] a place we’ve enjoyed some success in the past and we’ve enjoyed racing over there. I know the shape of the series has changed a bit since the merger. It’s hard to say that it’s quite the same as it was but nonetheless, you’re still racing at those big events like Daytona, Sebring, etc. You would be racing for the overall win, so there’s definitely an appeal there. I think it’s not out of the question in ’17 that we could be looking to go that way. If you went with a new 2017 car in the U.S., you’d obviously want to try to bring it to Le Mans if you could. For us, Le Mans is the big jewel in the crown, as it is for most people. We’d like to try to find a way to be a part of that for as long as possible. Whether we’d elect to go down the route of a European compatible P2 and have that we could run in ELMS or other categories… I don’t know. I think it’s a bit further away. We haven’t thought too hard about it yet."

Last edited by Deleted; 28 Jun 2016 at 00:28.
Old 28 Jun 2016, 14:09 (Ref:3655607)   #1479
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Pretty sure I recently heard Bart Hayden mention GTs as a possibility for Rebellion, but I can't remember where.
If there is a GT1 class somewhere out there where he can race alone and get some podiums... I am sure he may join.

I used to have an open mind, but my brains kept falling out.
Old 28 Jun 2016, 15:08 (Ref:3655618)   #1480
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
If there is a GT1 class somewhere out there where he can race alone and get some podiums... I am sure he may join.

I used to have an open mind, but my brains kept falling out.
Ah, so it's Rebellions fault that nobody else wants to play. Silly me, I thought it was the ACOs responsibility to fill the grid, not Barts. Someone should tell him he should fund other teams just to get them in.
Old 25 Jul 2016, 17:08 (Ref:3661118)   #1481
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Rebellion’s future in LMP1 very much in doubt. Per S365:
Quote:
Rebellion Racing’s future remains unclear, amid rumors of the team’s imminent departure from the LMP1 Privateer class of the FIA World Endurance Championship. (En Français)

Team manager Bart Hayden wouldn’t confirm or deny reports that the Anglo-Swiss squad could be pulling the plug on its LMP1 Privateer program, possibly even before the end of the year, amid growing concerns over the future of the prototype subclass.

“Everything is a rumor and we cannot prevent rumors from circulating,” Hayden told Endurance-Info. “We will know more by Mexico but I have no idea on what we will do in 2017.”

Hayden said there are multiple options for next year, from pulling out of LMP1 to moving to the European Le Mans Series in LMP2 or even mounting a partial-season Prototype class effort in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship.
Old 25 Jul 2016, 17:32 (Ref:3661129)   #1482
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
They say they don't know their future plans a lot.
Old 25 Jul 2016, 17:37 (Ref:3661132)   #1483
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How about running Oreca 05s in ELMS and bring the LMP1 only for LM.
Old 25 Jul 2016, 17:53 (Ref:3661141)   #1484
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
How about running Oreca 05s in ELMS and bring the LMP1 only for LM.
Not sure that makes much sense. You still have the substantial cost of upgrading the LMP1 cars to the 2017 spec plus the cost of new 2017-spec LMP2 cars. The only savings/additional revenues would come from the shorter ELMS season plus being able to sell a seat to a silver or bronze driver.
Old 25 Jul 2016, 18:52 (Ref:3661161)   #1485
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
My appraisal from the WEC thread (I actually thought I was posting it here initially):

"The fact that the ACO are looking at making so many stop gap changes for '17 just a season prior to when everyone will pretty much need new cars to comply with changing technical regs is probably what's discouraging Rebellion, and it seems that they think they might be better off taking a wait and see approach and come back to LMP1 in 2018.

That's if they decide to do something else for 2017. IMSA might be their best choice, but even that might be tough for them to commit to for a season. In the LMS, they'll have to buy new tubs from Oreca, and get rid of or bench a couple of their gold or platinum drivers. In IMSA, they might be able to get a waiver/fudge though with the fact that the R-One and the Oreca 05/07 are clearly very closely related, but there's the difficulty with their bases in Switzerland and the UK and having to run across the Atlantic. That'd be taxing to do for the NAEC, let alone a full season unless they rent a shop in the US, which is how they ran some ALMS races in 2013."
Old 25 Jul 2016, 20:23 (Ref:3661179)   #1486
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
I'm sure they could run a potential NA campaign out of Oreca's US headquarters in Charlotte, NC
Old 25 Jul 2016, 22:14 (Ref:3661190)   #1487
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The article of endurance-info is a bit more detailed than sportscar365
Bart Hayden showed special concern for the increasing performance in order or 3 to 4 seconds of the LMP2 in 2017, He knows that with the new aerodynamic regulations and weight reduction can be obtained some performance but this new aerodynamics package will require additional financial resources.
Another concern is the engine, JUDD and Gibson may be an option but it will also require additional funding.

The conclusion is:
* The aerodynamic modification and a new engine is much more expensive than a new LMP2 2017.
* They feel that the LMP2 will be much closer next year

http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/reb...ur-son-avenir/
Old 26 Jul 2016, 12:51 (Ref:3661287)   #1488
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post

The conclusion is:
* The aerodynamic modification and a new engine is much more expensive than a new LMP2 2017.
* They feel that the LMP2 will be much closer next year

http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/reb...ur-son-avenir/
That actually makes a lot of sense. Still has to be a tough decision for the team to decide if they should drop down a category.
Old 26 Jul 2016, 13:46 (Ref:3661294)   #1489
JLGarcia
Racer

JLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
That actually makes a lot of sense. Still has to be a tough decision for the team to decide if they should drop down a category.
Is P2, even with its new, approaching-spec rules, really a step down from P1-L, though? At least P2 is competitive and gets some exposure. P1-L seems little more than a gigantic money pit and the only time you ever see them on TV is when the Kolles catches on fire. You're fighting for scraps, hoping the factory cars crash- it's WEC's Start-and-Park.

The class just seems like horribly poor ROI to me, but then so do Rebellion watches, so I guess it all kinda makes sense in that regard.
Old 26 Jul 2016, 20:20 (Ref:3661351)   #1490
TheMightyM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLGarcia View Post
Is P2, even with its new, approaching-spec rules, really a step down from P1-L, though? At least P2 is competitive and gets some exposure. P1-L seems little more than a gigantic money pit and the only time you ever see them on TV is when the Kolles catches on fire. You're fighting for scraps, hoping the factory cars crash- it's WEC's Start-and-Park.

The class just seems like horribly poor ROI to me, but then so do Rebellion watches, so I guess it all kinda makes sense in that regard.
The thing though is that Rebellion said that they were considering ELMS LMP2. That adds another level to the analysis --- if your goal is exposure, I’m not sure that’s the place to go to get it. To make matters worse, the ACO hasn’t always looked very favorable at teams that stepped down from the WEC to ELMS, so there’s no guarantee that Rebellion would still get a pair of Le Mans invites if they did so.
Old 26 Jul 2016, 21:51 (Ref:3661364)   #1491
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
The thing though is that Rebellion said that they were considering ELMS LMP2. That adds another level to the analysis --- if your goal is exposure, I’m not sure that’s the place to go to get it. To make matters worse, the ACO hasn’t always looked very favorable at teams that stepped down from the WEC to ELMS, so there’s no guarantee that Rebellion would still get a pair of Le Mans invites if they did so.
This is spot on. The ELMS as a whole is actually neglected pretty hard in terms of LM invites as we saw this year.

If Rebellion choose to step away from P1L, not only will the class be removed from consideration, they will likely end up in IMSA.

One could say they were being rebellious.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 27 Jul 2016, 00:46 (Ref:3661386)   #1492
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLGarcia View Post

That made me laugh!
Old 28 Jul 2016, 12:28 (Ref:3661611)   #1493
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If they pull out they could become a sponsor to one of the manufacturer LMP1 teams and probably generate far more exposure opposed to running 4 secs off the pace.......I seem to remember they are a sponsor in F1, see this link

https://jwgrandprix.com/2016/03/18/formula-one-rebellion-manor-racing/

never say never.......they could become heavily involved with F1.......

sorry but I just dont buy that the Rebellion LMP1 team are scratching for funds, I believe they have money coming out of their ears, the fact of the matter is they are just not technically capable of designing a front running LMP1 car with their current half-job approach with a customer car and customer engine, they either need to fully commit to LMP1 and do a proper job with big resources......or go LMP2 or GT racing with all the other rich-boys with no engineering talent, who have to pay companies like Oreca and AER to do the basics for them.

Really they will not be missed from LMP1.....for me the Rebellion team manager alongside the now sacked team manager of Nissan.....whereby he he talks a good job, but under delivers in a mikey-mouse class with only 3 competitors, if the LMP1 privateer class dies off I dont think anyone will care less, its a joke.
Old 28 Jul 2016, 16:07 (Ref:3661648)   #1494
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
If they pull out they could become a sponsor to one of the manufacturer LMP1 teams and probably generate far more exposure opposed to running 4 secs off the pace.......I seem to remember they are a sponsor in F1, see this link

https://jwgrandprix.com/2016/03/18/f...-manor-racing/

never say never.......they could become heavily involved with F1.......

sorry but I just dont buy that the Rebellion LMP1 team are scratching for funds, I believe they have money coming out of their ears, the fact of the matter is they are just not technically capable of designing a front running LMP1 car with their current half-job approach with a customer car and customer engine, they either need to fully commit to LMP1 and do a proper job with big resources......or go LMP2 or GT racing with all the other rich-boys with no engineering talent, who have to pay companies like Oreca and AER to do the basics for them.

Really they will not be missed from LMP1.....for me the Rebellion team manager alongside the now sacked team manager of Nissan.....whereby he he talks a good job, but under delivers in a mikey-mouse class with only 3 competitors, if the LMP1 privateer class dies off I dont think anyone will care less, its a joke.
In our opinion what is the difference between privateers like Pescarolo, Racing for Holland and Rebellion?

As I see it, the introduction of Hybrid power ensured that a privateer LMP1 car would never be close to pace of the Manufactures. The only hope they have is reliability issues from the Hybrids. Something that seemed likely this year.

I don't see any issues with Rebellion, I see an issue with the sub-class and it's failure to attract other Privateers.
Old 28 Jul 2016, 16:43 (Ref:3661653)   #1495
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
As I see it, the introduction of Hybrid power ensured that a privateer LMP1 car would never be close to pace of the Manufactures. The only hope they have is reliability issues from the Hybrids. Something that seemed likely this year.
It would be interesting to know how much of an advantage the hybrid boost is. Say, put the AER in to the factory cars and what would their lap times be?
Old 28 Jul 2016, 17:05 (Ref:3661659)   #1496
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Factory cars have much better aero, something that the cut from 2000mm to 1900mm width put a premium on, as well as opening up the regs for the front floor behind the front wheel centerline where only the area that the skid attaches to runs to the front wheel centerline. Those tuning vanes are almost an extension of the front diffuser as far as their function.

Also, the factory teams can pay Michelin to make tires specific to their cars, can afford to make custom build engines that allow for the engines and chassis to be packaged/integrated as a unit as opposed to having to make do with a customer car and customer engine, and also, at least as of Nurburgring, the factory teams ran at basically 100% reliability on the mechanical/hybrid end for the first time this season. Only development that the factory teams can afford has allowed that, let alone the performance gap.

Sadly, this is largely an effect of the "give everyone a trophy" approach that the ACO have taken with LMP1 privateer. Most teams don't want a trophy for being the best privateer. Money bonuses and financial incentives, probably, but they don't want a trophy for the sake of having one. Very rarely has a private team ever held a candle to a factory team unless things are artificially made to be spec or done so though BOP, or the factory team pulls out and supports semi-works privateer teams, like Audi did in the R8 days.

So IMO, you can't say that diesel power gave Audi such a huge advantage in '06 in the ALMS and that hybrids have given a similar huge advantage to Audi, Porsche and Toyota now. Those things alone didn't do it. It's everything else also that factory teams can do better because of better resources.

Rebellion certainly aren't going broke racing, but even TMG have a massively larger budget and even more massively advanced facilities in house than Rebellion can get.
Old 28 Jul 2016, 20:28 (Ref:3661708)   #1497
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
They can rent tmg if they want. Rebellion is in a predicament... do they stay and hope for better rules or maybe get a link to a manufacturer? Or do they leave and try dpi/elms/lmp2?
Old 28 Jul 2016, 20:34 (Ref:3661710)   #1498
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rebellion fielding the 3rd Toyota next year?
Old 29 Jul 2016, 08:31 (Ref:3661803)   #1499
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
So IMO, you can't say that diesel power gave Audi such a huge advantage in '06 in the ALMS and that hybrids have given a similar huge advantage to Audi, Porsche and Toyota now. Those things alone didn't do it. It's everything else also that factory teams can do better because of better resources.
Bingo. The reason we're restricted to 3 aero kits is because Audi were taking about 5 different kits to Monza for testing. The cost of development and production of that amount of kit is massive. Meanwhile, Rebellion tape over some vents and call it a low downforce kit. The power difference is only one small part of the gap between the works and private teams.
Old 29 Jul 2016, 09:36 (Ref:3661812)   #1500
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
The R-One is probably the least developed P1 car I have ever seen run 3 full seasons. (The CLM is a piece of crap, but they definitely bring new and trendy bits). I've never seen a supposedly major team take several months just to swap engines.

Bringing Pescarolo down to them is an insult. That team was doing extensive in house development by its 4th year and was a legitimate constructor within around twice that. In that time frame Rebellion is lucky to be able to come up with some diveplanes. But they either can't or won't pay ORECA to continue working on it either.