Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 27 Feb 2023, 19:40 (Ref:4145155)   #1501
PlatoFan89
Rookie

PlatoFan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Believe he said unless a huge, well paying manufacturer turns up he’s not interested.
Spoke to him yesterday at the Race Retro event, he said he was trying to strike a deal with Dynamics or BTC (OneMotorsport) he said if that doesn’t work out then it will be British GT and Goodwood meetings in a GT40.
Old 27 Feb 2023, 20:57 (Ref:4145161)   #1502
mphplastering
Rookie

mphplastering should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatoFan89 View Post
Spoke to him yesterday at the Race Retro event, he said he was trying to strike a deal with Dynamics or BTC (OneMotorsport) he said if that doesn’t work out then it will be British GT and Goodwood meetings in a GT40.

Interesting
Old 27 Feb 2023, 21:24 (Ref:4145166)   #1503
InYourMirrors45
Racer

InYourMirrors45 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatoFan89 View Post
We all know, if Plato wants to be there, then he will be. My money would be in Dynamics.
Old 28 Feb 2023, 10:06 (Ref:4145218)   #1504
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.btcc.net/2023/02/28/tayl...itch-for-2023/

ATS to PMR.
Old 28 Feb 2023, 10:18 (Ref:4145219)   #1505
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looking at the grid so far this year, this has to be one of the best strength/depth line-ups for a while, with race winners across every team.

Really intrigued to see how the running order shapes up.
Old 28 Feb 2023, 10:22 (Ref:4145223)   #1506
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From Autosport. Too many talented drivers not being able to secure a place, guess that’s motorsport… seems like PMR can’t keep their drivers either.

“Hand impressed during his rookie season, and Autosport sources indicate that he has been put into a situation whereby he will be forced to sit out the coming campaign while working on a BTCC return in 2024.”

Once again we learn that multi-year deals mean absolutely nothing in the BTCC!
Old 28 Feb 2023, 10:24 (Ref:4145224)   #1507
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
Glad he’s had the sense to get out of HARD. Assumed he had if it had taken this long for an announcement!
Old 28 Feb 2023, 10:31 (Ref:4145225)   #1508
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
so much for long term contracts
Old 28 Feb 2023, 10:58 (Ref:4145229)   #1509
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
so much for long term contracts
Or faithfully believing press releases.
Old 28 Feb 2023, 11:20 (Ref:4145230)   #1510
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who saw ATS to PMR coming?! Hopefully the move can help him move back up the grid.

Means that (at the moment) HARD only have 4 cars, and means that once again we don't know if certain TBLs will be used or not.

Was interesting to read from posters on here about JPs potential plans for '23 - I honestly would like to see him back in the BTCC.

With just 6 weeks until Media Day, there's still a lot to unravel for this season.
Old 28 Feb 2023, 11:30 (Ref:4145231)   #1511
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Glad he’s had the sense to get out of HARD. Assumed he had if it had taken this long for an announcement!
It does seem an interesting move to go from a 2-year-old car that got a podium last year to a 6-year-old car that had a best result of 5th......
Old 28 Feb 2023, 11:35 (Ref:4145232)   #1512
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2023 TBL Team Car Driver Status Jack Sears
EXCELR8-1Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.comHyundai i30 Fastback N PerformanceIngram Confirmed in press release Inel.
EXCELR8-2Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.comHyundai i30 Fastback N PerformanceChilton Confirmed in press release Inel.
EXCELR8-3Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.comHyundai i30 Fastback N PerformancePearsonConfirmed in press releaseElig.
EXCELR8-4Bristol Street Motors with EXCELR8 TradePriceCars.comHyundai i30 Fastback N PerformanceHalsteadConfirmed in press releaseElig.
Team Dynamics-1Halfords?Civic?Shedden?Talked about next year with the teamInel.
Team Dynamics-2Halfords?Civic????Talked about next year with the teamInel.
Aiden Moffat-1One Motorsport?Civic???’One’ Reported as looking to expand to four Civics ???
Aiden Moffat-2Aiden Moffat Racing???????Infiniti described as being end of life by the team???
Motorbase-1NAPA Racing UKFord Focus STSuttonConfirmed as 3-year deal in press releaseInel.
Motorbase-2NAPA Racing UKFord Focus STCammishConfirmed as 3-year deal in press releaseInel.
Motorbase-3NAPA Racing UKFord Focus STOsborneConfirmed in press releaseElig.
Motorbase-4NAPA Racing UKFord Focus ST RowbottomConfirmed in press releaseInel.
HARD.-1HARD. Cupra LeónButelConfirmed in press releaseElig.
HARD.-2HARD.Cupra LeónThompsonConfirmed in press releaseInel.
HARD.-3HARD.Cupra LeónPattersonConfirmed in press releaseElig.
HARD.-4HARD.Cupra LeónLloydConfirmed in press releaseInel.
Speedworks-1Toyota Gazoo Racing UK?Corolla?Butcher?Talked about wanting another year with the teamInel.
Speedworks-2Toyota Gazoo Racing UK?Corolla??????????
Speedworks-3Toyota Gazoo Racing UK?Corolla??????????
WSR-1Team BMW/Ciceley Commercials?BMW 330e M SportMorganConfirmed in press releaseInel.
WSR-2Team BMW?BMW 330e M SportTurkingtonConfirmed in press releaseInel.
WSR-3Laser Tools Racing with MB MotorsportBMW 330e M SportHillConfirmed in press releaseInel.
WSR-4MB Motorsport?BMW 330e M SportJelleyConfirmed in press release - MB talked about a 2-car entry for 2023Inel.
PMR-1PMRVauxhall Astra Taylor-SmithConfirmed in press releaseInel.
PMR-2PMRVauxhall AstraWatsonConfirmed in press releaseElig.
BTC-1Starline Racing by One MotorsportHonda Civic FK8MoffatConfirmed in press releaseInel.
BTC-2 Starline Racing by One MotorsportHonda Civic FK8CookConfirmed in press releaseInel.
BTC-3One MotorsportCivic FK8???Reported as looking to expand to four Civics???
Boardley-1??????Boardley?Has described 2022 as a sabbaticalElig.
TOCA-1Not allocated    
TOCA-2Not allocated    
TOCA-3Not allocated    
???Parker Motorsport?Alfa Giulia????Press release states a planned return after hybrid is introduced???
???Parker Motorsport?Alfa Giulia????Press release states a planned return after hybrid is introduced???
???Bert Taylor Racing???????Talked about getting a TBL for 2023???
?????????Proctor?Has described 2022 as a sabbatical Inel.
?????????Smelt?Has described 2022 as a sabbatical Elig.
?????????Hamilton?Talked about being in a car for 2023 Inel.
?????????Hand?Previously confirmed as multi-year at PMR in press release Elig.
???VolvoKiaT.Harvey Rumoured in threads every year, has to be true one day Inel.
Old 28 Feb 2023, 12:14 (Ref:4145242)   #1513
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why do you keep Parker Motorsport listed ? it's kinda obvious they won't show up
Old 28 Feb 2023, 12:25 (Ref:4145243)   #1514
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
why do you keep Parker Motorsport listed ? it's kinda obvious they won't show up

I would guess/assume that the reason is similar to why Harvey, KIA and Volvo are on the list. Similar to many media reports by that well known journo Phil Space!
Old 28 Feb 2023, 12:26 (Ref:4145244)   #1515
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite a bummer to lose Ash Hand only after one season... Just a few weeks ago he seemed certain he'd be on the grid.
Old 28 Feb 2023, 13:09 (Ref:4145246)   #1516
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really think that is a backward move for ATS. That Astra is way passed its best, along with PMR advertising on FB for a race engineer - I get the feeling he won't be troubling the points much this year. Surely if he had a bit more budget, then they could put a focus on reliability at Hard?
Old 28 Feb 2023, 13:13 (Ref:4145248)   #1517
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
I really think that is a backward move for ATS. That Astra is way passed its best, along with PMR advertising on FB for a race engineer - I get the feeling he won't be troubling the points much this year.
To be fair he wasn’t either with two years in the Cupra!
Old 28 Feb 2023, 13:42 (Ref:4145252)   #1518
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
It does seem an interesting move to go from a 2-year-old car that got a podium last year to a 6-year-old car that had a best result of 5th......
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
I really think that is a backward move for ATS. That Astra is way passed its best, along with PMR advertising on FB for a race engineer - I get the feeling he won't be troubling the points much this year. Surely if he had a bit more budget, then they could put a focus on reliability at Hard?
It's an older car but it might be one that's run properly? HARD seem to have a lot of DNF and DNS that are mechanical issues rather than accident damage. They run on a shoestring (in BTCC terms) so I assume they run parts longer than other teams and that leads to failures. That said it'll certainly be interesting to see how the results compare between the Cupra and the Astra this season.
Old 28 Feb 2023, 13:42 (Ref:4145253)   #1519
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
The reason is based on the comments from Stuart Parker that said:

"Would we come back to touring cars? Yes we would. Are there criteria we'd need to fulfil? Yes - we need to be masters of our own destiny. Our thought process was to build our own car, but then COVID struck and it took the wind out of our sails. We were looking at the Alfa Romeo equivalent of the BMW 3-series [the Giulia], and we'd spoken to a company about drawings for us, but it wasn't to be. If you're going to build a car, you've got to look at a two-car team [to make it viable]. We've enjoyed BTCC, but our business is as a race team - we don't have anything else - and our decision to have a bit of a regroup and concentrate our British efforts on Carrera Cup and Caymans isn't going to hurt us. So we'll let hybrid settle down [on its introduction to the BTCC in 2022] and then look at coming back."

So while it might seem highly unlikely for them to return this year, their public statement indicated a possible.

Do I think they will be on the grid? - No.
Is there a credible rumour that sees them on the grid? - Yes.
Old 28 Feb 2023, 13:53 (Ref:4145254)   #1520
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I wouldn't be surprised if they came back. Just need the right deal. Maybe a nice deal with a car manufacturer. And with there being a few spaces on the grid there is an opportunity there
Old 28 Feb 2023, 13:55 (Ref:4145256)   #1521
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
It's an older car but it might be one that's run properly? HARD seem to have a lot of DNF and DNS that are mechanical issues rather than accident damage.
I do wonder how much truth is in that thought.

For reference (and not taking into consideration the cause) the respective DNF/DNS ratios for the two cars in 2022 were:

PMR Astra - 23% DNF/DNS
HARD. Cupra - 22% DNF/DNS
Old 28 Feb 2023, 15:43 (Ref:4145271)   #1522
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they came back. Just need the right deal. Maybe a nice deal with a car manufacturer. And with there being a few spaces on the grid there is an opportunity there
Unfortunately 'nice deals with manufacturers' don't happen in today's BTCC. Have a feeling BMW/WSR and Toyota/Speedworks are the last 'factory' teams in the BTCC, at least for quite some time.
Old 28 Feb 2023, 16:04 (Ref:4145274)   #1523
t4tinks
Rookie

t4tinks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autosport seems to have missed the Butel confirmation at HARD, and indicates the vacancies are Dynamics x2, One (BTC) x2 Speedworks x3 and Hard x2 (though Butel should one of those). Could be some interesting moves/announcements over the next few weeks.

Motorbase Performance: Ford Ash Sutton, Dan Cammish, Dan Rowbottom, Sam Osborne
West Surrey Racing BMW: Jake Hill, Colin Turkington, Adam Morgan, Stephen Jelley
Excelr8 Motorsport Hyundai: Tom Ingram, Tom Chilton, Ronan Pearson, Nick Halstead
Team Dynamics Honda: TBA, TBA
One Motorsport Honda: Josh Cook, Aiden Moffat, TBA, TBA
Speedworks Motorsport Toyota: TBA, TBA, TBA
Team Hard Cupra: Dan Lloyd, Bobby Thompson, Dexter Patterson, TBA, TBA
Power Maxed Racing Vauxhall: Aron Taylor-Smith, Andrew Watson
Old 28 Feb 2023, 16:40 (Ref:4145278)   #1524
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
It's an older car but it might be one that's run properly? HARD seem to have a lot of DNF and DNS that are mechanical issues rather than accident damage. They run on a shoestring (in BTCC terms) so I assume they run parts longer than other teams and that leads to failures. That said it'll certainly be interesting to see how the results compare between the Cupra and the Astra this season.
Running on a shoestring is down to driver budget though. If someone turns round to Tony and says I really want to drive a Cupra and my budget is 50% more than you are charging for it but I want it to be maintained to a higher standard, parts swapped out more often, etc - I'm sure we would see a much more reliable car.
Old 28 Feb 2023, 17:07 (Ref:4145282)   #1525
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Unfortunately 'nice deals with manufacturers' don't happen in today's BTCC. Have a feeling BMW/WSR and Toyota/Speedworks are the last 'factory' teams in the BTCC, at least for quite some time.
No there will be plenty more factory teams if that is your definition. The last genuine factory effort is probably Vauxhall in 2009. You only have to look at the liveries of the "works" entries since then to see the money was coming elsewhere. Yuasa for the Honda entry, Silverline for Chevrolet, Tesco KX Momentum for MG, Power Maxed for Vauxhall's "return", etc.