Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 25 Oct 2009, 21:02 (Ref:2569598)   #1501
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Ah well I take back what I said earlier. Maybe Keith Sutton's had a word about use of 'his' images on forums like 10-10ths. Mod's you may be due an apology
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
Mods: I am really not happy with that auto edit, why is it required please?
We have had problems in the past with people linking directly to the what should have been paid for images on Sutton Images website. Personally I think they should have taken better steps to prevent people linking to images if they don't want 'em linked, but hey, that's just me. In order to save ourselves any possible legal grief we decided to break images linked from that website. Anyone that has a problem with this can PM me, or e-mail webmaster@ten-tenths.com
Old 25 Oct 2009, 21:10 (Ref:2569605)   #1502
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Thank you for clarifying that MagnetON..
Old 25 Oct 2009, 21:19 (Ref:2569615)   #1503
westfieldbend
Veteran

westfieldbend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
DVLL's chief executive Simon Gillet has a salary of £253,041

No comment.

So as its a Limited company he can take the money and run, set up another company/lease another circuit tomorrow, make a total mess of that.... Something tells me there is something drastically wrong with the limited liability laws in the UK.
Old 25 Oct 2009, 21:48 (Ref:2569639)   #1504
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
What is the URL? If you can break it up into seperate words you can by-pass the auto-edit.

Are you looking for a spanking..
Old 25 Oct 2009, 21:49 (Ref:2569641)   #1505
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"DVLL's chief executive Simon Gillet has a salary of £253,041"

Ya I saw that earlier today... looks like something from last year's banking debacle doesn't it.
Old 25 Oct 2009, 23:09 (Ref:2569683)   #1506
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post

Ya I saw that earlier today... looks like something from last year's banking debacle doesn't it.
It is or has been looking like a scam for some time, wonder who is behind it if it is?...
Old 25 Oct 2009, 23:13 (Ref:2569687)   #1507
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

That's a lot, yes, but that doesn't explain the other millions they're short.

I kind of feel sorry for DVLL though. I believe them when they said they had all the money when the deal was done, only for all the investors to pull out when the recession became apparent. I think that, rather than blaming Gillett for this, he and his company were just victims of the recession.

I really hope something will happen with Donington now. it's the best circuit in the UK (and my local circuit) and I'd really miss it if it were to never recover from this. Surely some multi-billionaire can invest in this rather than another Premiership football club.
Old 26 Oct 2009, 04:07 (Ref:2569776)   #1508
RaceFreak
Racer

RaceFreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
This is what Bernie had to say about the British GP being held at Silverstone in 2010; I got this from the BBC website.

"We are not prepared to charge less. Do we need a British Grand Prix? No"
....and herein the buzzards from FOTA's failure to seize control of F1 come home to roost. The year of chaos that would have resulted from the split would have been an investment in better governance (management) in the long run. As usual the boys in the F1 Club went for the path of least resistance (and most money) and the status quo has returned. Haven't any of them read Faustus ? Or can they simply not identify the Devil they've bargained with ....

Pity.
Old 26 Oct 2009, 06:35 (Ref:2569830)   #1509
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just hope for this mess to be sorted as i am fed up waiting to find out who is hosting the british gp
Old 26 Oct 2009, 08:13 (Ref:2569854)   #1510
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
"Do we need a British Grand Prix? No"
The important thing being who Bernie is referring to when he uses the word 'we' here - its himself. Because the broader 'we' i.e. fans, teams, sponsors, drivers etc... - the real stakeholders and the reason Bernie is where he is - are practically unanimous in their plaudits for the British Grand Prix and do need it.
Old 26 Oct 2009, 08:20 (Ref:2569856)   #1511
Dave 455
Racer

Dave 455 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another deadline extension, Donington have until tommorow now! :-

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headline...26084225.shtml
Old 26 Oct 2009, 08:33 (Ref:2569869)   #1512
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrb View Post
I think that, rather than blaming Gillett for this, he and his company were just victims of the recession.
I can't agree with that.

The business plan as quoted in the Pitpass article won't have changed dramatically between the original funding plan at the start of the year and the last ditch bond issue a few weeks ago. The total debt may have stacked up but the income predictions will be largely the same. Even if they had raised the money back in March and completed the rebuilt it's difficult to see how they could have remained solvent longer term.

The recession my not have helped but even without that they were always on shaky ground.
Old 26 Oct 2009, 16:33 (Ref:2570171)   #1513
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 455 View Post
Another deadline extension, Donington have until tommorow now! :-

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headline...26084225.shtml
Death by a thousand cuts !!! and still no word from Gillett's inner sanctum.
Old 26 Oct 2009, 16:46 (Ref:2570179)   #1514
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways View Post
Death by a thousand cuts !!! and still no word from Gillett's inner sanctum.
"Deadlines Varied Lengthwise at Leisure" strike again then!
Old 26 Oct 2009, 16:56 (Ref:2570185)   #1515
diddy100
Racer

England
Within ear shot of Snetterton !
diddy100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So Silverstone as still saying contract on offer is not commercially viable - come on Bernie if F1 teams are looking at reducing costs its about time you looked at reducing the costs of us fans attending GPs's - costs to watch 1.5hrs of racing is crazy and I have now stopped going as can't justify the cost for my family. It was great in the 70's and 80's when at least we had a full days track action as well as overtaking in a GPs. The teams want a British GP - so come on Bernie do a deal to safe this great event after this disaster
Lets hope Donnington is saved but I think it wil be struggle to get it back to reasonable state for racing - with losing the Moto GP as well as Super League, WSR etc what big events is left for them
Old 26 Oct 2009, 19:42 (Ref:2570270)   #1516
Crafty_
Rookie

Crafty_ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was going to write that I can't believe Eccelstone is holding Silverstone up fopr a poxy £2m, but thinking about it I can

I think the best thing for Donington now is for Motorsport Vision or BARC to buy the track from Wheatcroft - or at least he hands over the lease to them.. Wheatcroft is in his mid 80s, at that age does he really want to be rebuilding the track and the business ?
Old 26 Oct 2009, 23:48 (Ref:2570407)   #1517
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That is to say Redshoes, other than the money markets drying-up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington Wimpy
I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 10:40 (Ref:2570645)   #1518
Dave 455
Racer

Dave 455 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Deadline for Donington has been extended again, they have until midnight now to find the cash : -

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/ne...l/article.html
Old 27 Oct 2009, 10:46 (Ref:2570648)   #1519
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think that means they have until midnight before the breach of contract is sealed. It definitely does not mean they have a chance of resurrecting the deal.

Read further and Bernie is quoted as saying that the deal is dead.

He also says he won't be pursuing damages against DVLL. Makes me think it was all a set up to pressurize the BRDC at the least or get the GP into a foreign land at best.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 10:53 (Ref:2570654)   #1520
S.Moss
Racer

England
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
S.Moss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty_ View Post
I think the best thing for Donington now is for Motorsport Vision or BARC to buy the track from Wheatcroft - or at least he hands over the lease to them.. Wheatcroft is in his mid 80s, at that age does he really want to be rebuilding the track and the business ?
I think that it would be a good idea that Motorsport Vision took over donnington as they seem to be putting in a fair bit of money to many of the UK circuits.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 10:58 (Ref:2570659)   #1521
Mr.Jingles
Racer

United Kingdom
Reading, Berkshire
Mr.Jingles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
He also says he won't be pursuing damages against DVLL. Makes me think it was all a set up to pressurize the BRDC at the least or get the GP into a foreign land at best.
It's also likely (from personal painful experience with bad debts) because he's well appraised of whats in the DVLL kitty (nil) and the cost of recovery outweighs the assets to be gained by pursuing it.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 12:06 (Ref:2570695)   #1522
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Agreed.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 13:01 (Ref:2570734)   #1523
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seconded!!!
Old 27 Oct 2009, 13:48 (Ref:2570769)   #1524
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Still no word from Gillett's bunker !!!
Old 27 Oct 2009, 14:53 (Ref:2570811)   #1525
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways View Post
Still no word from Gillett's bunker !!!
Gillett could do with taking some lessons on how to deal with the media. Since Donington was announced as the future home of the British GP, he's spent most his time 'bunkered', refusing to speak to the media, answer questions etc... Occasionally he'll surface to squeak that people are running down false tracks instead of seeing him to get chapter and verse, then refusing to answer any questions. There's an interesting insight from Edd Straw on the frustrations in dealing with Gillett in Autosport 15th October 2010. He's clearly an unpleasant individual and let's hope that when this is said and done he remains 'bunkered' for some time to come.
Closed Thread