Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 16 Nov 2010, 16:35 (Ref:2791689)   #1526
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would be eager to see how this plays out, i still can't wrap my head around a few things...
1) why the dallara chassis insists on leaving that nose in place- if all aero kits and bits are free elsewhere- the nose can have drastic influence on the aerodynamics- not the crash structure but the nose...
2)again the bizarre- Indy only 2.4 liter V6 twin Turbo formula and what is the spec for any other engine allowed? Ok f1 has 2.4 liters N/A engines but that is F1, Indy isn't. you can harangue about any other series and their specification but they are found in another series somewhere, or adaptable to it. can you punch out one of these mills to a totally inefficient LMP1 engine in ALMS? not for top honor i don't think- Maybe like honda did, but they where in the P2 category using a 2.5 weren't they?
3)This is INDY- where is the Wildcard? the Innovator? the Mavericks and Cowboys? doing what made Indy the legend it is- thanks for leashing that defining aspect of indy when you had a chance to release it again.
Old 16 Nov 2010, 17:12 (Ref:2791714)   #1527
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring View Post
I would be eager to see how this plays out, i still can't wrap my head around a few things...
1) why the dallara chassis insists on leaving that nose in place- if all aero kits and bits are free elsewhere- the nose can have drastic influence on the aerodynamics- not the crash structure but the nose...
2)again the bizarre- Indy only 2.4 liter V6 twin Turbo formula and what is the spec for any other engine allowed? Ok f1 has 2.4 liters N/A engines but that is F1, Indy isn't. you can harangue about any other series and their specification but they are found in another series somewhere, or adaptable to it. can you punch out one of these mills to a totally inefficient LMP1 engine in ALMS? not for top honor i don't think- Maybe like honda did, but they where in the P2 category using a 2.5 weren't they?
3)This is INDY- where is the Wildcard? the Innovator? the Mavericks and Cowboys? doing what made Indy the legend it is- thanks for leashing that defining aspect of indy when you had a chance to release it again.
You want to go to Dallas?
Old 16 Nov 2010, 20:47 (Ref:2791815)   #1528
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There won't be more than 2 engine builders for 2012, according to this link.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...ngine-builders

Others can come for 2013, but Randy says today is the deadline and anything beyond that would be too late to get aboard if they haven't done so already.

I actually thought it made the most sense for Fiat/Alfa Romeo to do it since they will really be steeping forward in the US auto market in 2012...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 17 Nov 2010, 06:35 (Ref:2791974)   #1529
gttouring
Veteran

We've seen this fight before Honda/Chevy...the deadline should be set by Indy with the most people watching and the news can be final for next year. Duh. Stupid Indy management. I can make these same mistakes you are doing and new ones and fail just as spectacularly. Actually hire me. Because anything you are doing is working sooooo well for you I am bound to make it better. For that matter anyone in thisforum
Old 17 Nov 2010, 13:00 (Ref:2792083)   #1530
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
According to these articles, FIAT are considering selling a 49% stake in Ferrari, which might explain their lack of commitment:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/16/r...-ahead-of-mer/

http://www.leftlanenews.com/report-m...f-ferrari.html
Old 17 Nov 2010, 20:15 (Ref:2792256)   #1531
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How About This Turn of Events?

Curt Cavin just tweeted that IICS will announce the 3rd engine manufacturer tomorrow at 5 Eastern time.

Don't know where they are announcing it, but something tells me that Fiat got off the dime and decided to go for it by contacting Randy yesterday.

Old 17 Nov 2010, 20:39 (Ref:2792265)   #1532
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
The plot thickens...

Crash Gladys is thinking that it is not Fiat, but Lotus, who will work with Kalkhoven to badge a Cosworth engine to add more involvement with KK than they already have going right now.

Others on forums are speculating that it'll be a Ford-badged Cosworth, but I'm not sure I'm buying that...mountainstar said he has been hearing all along that Ford wasn't interested.

Supposedly, this will be announced at the LA Auto Show tomorrow.

I think Cosworth is tied into this somehow, but with whom?

It's anybody's guess until it is official.

Old 17 Nov 2010, 21:09 (Ref:2792284)   #1533
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think relying on inside information from mountainstar is prudent.
Old 17 Nov 2010, 21:24 (Ref:2792295)   #1534
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
This just came up on the Indy Star:

http://blogs.indystar.com/racingexpe...-by-lotus-too/

Lotus is the 3rd engine supplier...I'm betting they're badging a Cosworth

Old 17 Nov 2010, 21:41 (Ref:2792302)   #1535
gttouring
Veteran

i will be at the auto show tomorrow I will look about for lotus (the manufacturer- or the Malaysian interloper?)
watch it turns out to be Ford anyway- and Dodge gets in on the act with Toyota and a curve ball from Hyundai-Cosworth
its a 6 party circus -
Old 17 Nov 2010, 21:42 (Ref:2792303)   #1536
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I said many posts ago I thought Cosworth and Lotus might form a partnership.
Old 17 Nov 2010, 22:27 (Ref:2792332)   #1537
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Interesting.

I must say, i am delighted that there is some light at the end of the IndyCar tunnel!
Old 18 Nov 2010, 00:17 (Ref:2792380)   #1538
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...ines-for-2012/

Old 18 Nov 2010, 05:25 (Ref:2792433)   #1539
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indycar.com will be streaming the announcement at 5 pm ET.
Old 18 Nov 2010, 05:53 (Ref:2792436)   #1540
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagtechOhio View Post
I don't think relying on inside information from mountainstar is prudent.
I'm an "insider"? That's news to me. Even if I was an "insider" I certainly don't aspire to be one.

I use what I come across in the course of my work to frame my opinions on various matters, but I've never been one to engage in ego boosting with posting my private conversations with people in the business on public forums, blogging, painting bedrooms in sponsor colors, stalking people down at the race track or public announcements or other SUPERFAN nonsense.

The Lotus deal is what KK has been angling for, for a long time. A B2B deal with Lotus to sell stuff. Mr Bahar is taking a big gamble with Lotus, massively increasing the size of car production in a short space of time. They've got dreams to rival Porsche and Ferrari, but Rome wasn't built in a day and Lotus has always been a fringe manufacturer catering to the low end wealthy and a certain type of buyer. They sell 700 cars a year in the USA, so do the math on that one.

Whether the irl has 2 or 20 manufacturers, could care less to me. When the ownership changes, I'll listen, but I have my ethics and my boundaries and the hulmangeorges are not getting a dime of my money. If other people choose to do so, that's up to them.

What still hasn't been explained is how exactly teams become profitable with no "works" revenue from manufacturers, horrifying attendance, tv ratings lower than the ShamWoW!! wipe your butt rag infomercial, and few cash paying sponsors.
Old 18 Nov 2010, 06:55 (Ref:2792448)   #1541
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The math looks like Bahar has $1.2 Billion to play with, and ambitions that are even more astronomical:

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010...makeover-team/

So if it's Lotus that is announced as the new competitor tomorrow, and if Cosworth gets the contract, KK is fat and happy.

Edit: some notes from the article...

The 2013 Esprit is projected to get "A Lexus-sourced V-8 making 620 horsepower, the company says." Ain't that a Honda motor? Cosworth will be tuning that?

And the caption for one of the other Lotus darts: "This sporty two-seater is likely to be powered by a 450-horsepower Toyota V-6 when it arrives late 2012 or early 2013". Maybe that would be the connection?

Last edited by JagtechOhio; 18 Nov 2010 at 07:07.
Old 18 Nov 2010, 08:12 (Ref:2792480)   #1542
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Ooops, my bad. That is the connection, and has been in place for a while.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/04/l...mance-engines/
Old 18 Nov 2010, 13:37 (Ref:2792619)   #1543
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The math looks like Bahar has $1.2 Billion to play with, and ambitions that are even more astronomical:

So if it's Lotus that is announced as the new competitor tomorrow, and if Cosworth gets the contract, KK is fat and happy.
Those are some seriously sexy cars
Old 18 Nov 2010, 14:18 (Ref:2792642)   #1544
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Lotus are facing the problem as to who owns the rights to Lotus as far as F1 racing is concerned. Currently the name Team Lotus is owned by David Hunt, brother of the late F1 WDC James Hunt. Tony Fernandes of Lotus Racing is hoping to aquire the name but is in a bitter dispute with Proton the owners of Lotus, who want to run their own team also to be called Lotus. So far it looks like there will be two Lotus F1 teams an 'official' team and a Lotus-Renault team. Either way the branding needs to be sorted out as it could become very confusing, as to which Lotus F1 team the IndyCar team has 'ties' with and could be detrimental to any marketing strategy Lotus might have for the US.
Old 18 Nov 2010, 14:36 (Ref:2792654)   #1545
marcostraz
Veteran

marcostraz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This news about Lotus is excellent...I think that slowly the skepticism around the 2012 regulations is going to be proved wrong...I hope and believe that this news will think some organizer and even in 2012 or 2013 we could see the return of some tracks...
Old 18 Nov 2010, 15:32 (Ref:2792681)   #1546
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Personally, I thought that the Chevy announcement was more of a surprise than this one...

I expected Cosworth and KK to get in much sooner than this, to be honest.

Old 18 Nov 2010, 16:02 (Ref:2792690)   #1547
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Edit: some notes from the article...

The 2013 Esprit is projected to get "A Lexus-sourced V-8 making 620 horsepower, the company says." Ain't that a Honda motor? Cosworth will be tuning that?

And the caption for one of the other Lotus darts: "This sporty two-seater is likely to be powered by a 450-horsepower Toyota V-6 when it arrives late 2012 or early 2013". Maybe that would be the connection?
Yeah if there is a lot of cosworth engineering that goes into those cars it could end up paying off for cosworth over the years. Having been to the Lotus factory I don't think they have the capacity to handle ramping up production on 5 new cars all at once, so they'll have to have outside help.

Lexus is Toyota not honda, pretty much the engines in the current Lotus cars are toyota corolla and camry engines.

It an ambitious plan, big gamble to do what Lotus is trying to do in a weak world economy and with tons of competition.
Old 18 Nov 2010, 16:16 (Ref:2792694)   #1548
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Lotus are facing the problem as to who owns the rights to Lotus as far as F1 racing is concerned. Currently the name Team Lotus is owned by David Hunt, brother of the late F1 WDC James Hunt. Tony Fernandes of Lotus Racing is hoping to aquire the name but is in a bitter dispute with Proton the owners of Lotus, who want to run their own team also to be called Lotus. So far it looks like there will be two Lotus F1 teams an 'official' team and a Lotus-Renault team. Either way the branding needs to be sorted out as it could become very confusing, as to which Lotus F1 team the IndyCar team has 'ties' with and could be detrimental to any marketing strategy Lotus might have for the US.
Other than some hardcore race fans and some old timers, Lotus doesn't have much of a brand presence in the USA or a "name". It is very much a niche manufacturer. At one point in the 1990's there was one year where they only sold something like 20 cars in a whole year.

As it is with KV racing, and you can read KK verbatim in his public comments, essentially it is a pay driver resort which you pay to play and the Lotus name will probably be just a small part of it.

Personally in my opinion with what I have seen in what it takes to make it as a manufacturer in the high end sportscar market is that you have to race the cars. Like with Ferrari, Porsche, Aston and so on, Ferrari Challenge, Porsche Supercup, GT2, GT3 and so on. I think Lotus would be better served to focus on that rather than branding open wheel cars, but that's just me.
Old 18 Nov 2010, 16:20 (Ref:2792697)   #1549
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt View Post
Personally, I thought that the Chevy announcement was more of a surprise than this one...

I expected Cosworth and KK to get in much sooner than this, to be honest.
KK is one of the kings of B2B dealings, along with penske and others. Champcar was one big B2B trading post.

Cosworth is much more than an engine company now under their stewardship and there is much potential for using B2B deals to pay for your racing, even if the commercial benefits on the open market are nil.
Old 18 Nov 2010, 18:13 (Ref:2792759)   #1550
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Other than some hardcore race fans and some old timers, Lotus doesn't have much of a brand presence in the USA or a "name". It is very much a niche manufacturer. At one point in the 1990's there was one year where they only sold something like 20 cars in a whole year.

As it is with KV racing, and you can read KK verbatim in his public comments, essentially it is a pay driver resort which you pay to play and the Lotus name will probably be just a small part of it.

Personally in my opinion with what I have seen in what it takes to make it as a manufacturer in the high end sportscar market is that you have to race the cars. Like with Ferrari, Porsche, Aston and so on, Ferrari Challenge, Porsche Supercup, GT2, GT3 and so on. I think Lotus would be better served to focus on that rather than branding open wheel cars, but that's just me.
Uh, they are.