Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 29 Oct 2009, 15:27 (Ref:2572051)   #1576
mickey29
Racer

England
Wellingborough
mickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness2702 View Post
That is no more substantial than yesterday's reports that Gillett had paid the money.

...still waiting for BE, SG, or someone from SS to make an official announcement.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79826

God has spoken.
Old 29 Oct 2009, 15:43 (Ref:2572063)   #1577
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
I can't remember but I doubt the temporary grandstands are still up as they don't have planning consent for these.

Unless these days they only have permanent grandstands?
The temporary grandstands on the pit straight were gone last time I was there in the summer. And Silverstone are moving the ones on the pit straight back further from the track and re profiling some of the corners for next years Moto GP.
Old 29 Oct 2009, 15:50 (Ref:2572067)   #1578
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey29 View Post
Ding dong, the witch is dead...etc
Old 29 Oct 2009, 15:52 (Ref:2572069)   #1579
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey29 View Post
Yeah, just seen that Damnit, let's just hope that he can talk SS into a one year contract and DP's bid is resurrected in 2011.
Old 29 Oct 2009, 15:53 (Ref:2572070)   #1580
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Yeah, just seen that Damnit, let's just hope that he can talk SS into a one year contract and DP's bid is resurrected in 2011.
No let's not.
Old 29 Oct 2009, 16:18 (Ref:2572080)   #1581
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Silverstone, it can only be..

+1
Old 29 Oct 2009, 16:39 (Ref:2572091)   #1582
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
No let's not.
Quite right, we don't want to go through all this again, it does nobody any good
Old 29 Oct 2009, 16:54 (Ref:2572099)   #1583
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Silverstone would never agree to a one year contract.The contract that's been put in front of them isn't a one year contract...but it is bloody expensive!
Old 29 Oct 2009, 17:15 (Ref:2572115)   #1584
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Definitely not. Let's just hope that Silverstone cuts a long term deal to secure the British Grand Prix at the home of motorsport and that Donington can be restored to the quality track that it was before Gillett [the worst a man can get] intervened.
Old 29 Oct 2009, 18:01 (Ref:2572135)   #1585
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I don't understand why everyone is always seeming to slag on Donington like it's some illegitimate circuit that never deserved even a chance to begin with. Come on! What's the problem? Silverstone may have held the first F1 race, but Donny certainly has no lack of GP history. If we want to harp on which is the REAL home of British motorsport, it's neither, as I think Brooklands held that banner before either of the other two existed. Therefore, I don't have a problem at all with the idea of Donington getting a shot at the British GP.

Putting Bernie and Gillett aside for a moment, the reconfiguration (except for the redo of Coppice) would be a definite improvement over the current International Loop, and we all know it. This would be especially true if they had those hills in the infield portion like they were planning.
Old 29 Oct 2009, 18:33 (Ref:2572147)   #1586
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I don't understand why everyone is always seeming to slag on Donington like it's some illegitimate circuit that never deserved even a chance to begin with. Come on! What's the problem?
Just go to page one of this thread and read it from the start. I'm certainly not going to go over it all again as it is pretty well explained already.

An bad idea born from greed results in the destruction of a great National circuit.

I'm just glad it appears to be over.
Old 29 Oct 2009, 22:08 (Ref:2572261)   #1587
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know they say it's not over until the fat lady sings, but the little thin grey man has spoken so i suppose it is over.
Old 29 Oct 2009, 23:52 (Ref:2572301)   #1588
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Flavio, I understand the slagging of Bernie and Gillett (and agree with virtually all of it), but NOT the defaming of the circuit itself: Donington Park. And I don't particularly see how this thread addresses the ire/inferiority complex some seem to be showing towards the track itself.

It seems like some have put Silverstone on a high promontory, and that even the suggestion that another British circuit would dare inquire about encroaching upon Silverstone's sacred territory is deemed offensive. I'm NOT saying that the British GP should move, but I'm open to the idea that Silverstone is NOT the only circuit in the nation that might be worthy/deserving of the GP. I'm not a Briton by any stretch, and even I think of Donington as far more than just a "national circuit". It seems like a very admirable "international-standard" circuit to me. For me, just a national circuit would be along the lines of the Rockingham Roval, or one of the shorter configurations of Silverstone.

Of the three surviving hosts of a British GP (so not counting Aintree), and based solely on the tracks themselves (facilities, history, etc more or less aside), I'd actually rank Silverstone third behind Brands Hatch and then Donington Park.

Does that clear things up?
Old 30 Oct 2009, 01:11 (Ref:2572313)   #1589
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes,

Donington is your favourite circuit, but you seem to be confusing the posts on here with a dislike for the circuit. You are wrong.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 03:38 (Ref:2572330)   #1590
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, I don't see it that way either Purist. Seems to me the circuit has a real following, just the project's a bad joke. Nobody'd care if it was all dug-up otherwise.

Although it's a long thread.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 06:46 (Ref:2572358)   #1591
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Purist, as you have such strong views I wonder where you've been for the last 18 months that this thread has been running?

If you read the thread you'll see that many of us are very worried about the future of Donington. This hasn't been an "anti Donington" thread, the real risk is that this whole debacle could close Donington as a circuit and that is something that many of us are very concerned about.

You really need to read the whole thread if you are planning to criticise the content of it.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 07:49 (Ref:2572373)   #1592
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
If you read the thread you'll see that many of us are very worried about the future of Donington. This hasn't been an "anti Donington" thread, the real risk is that this whole debacle could close Donington as a circuit and that is something that many of us are very concerned about.
As soon as the deal was announced it was generally thought to be a risky deal. Even without the Credit Crash the money required would be hard to find, if not impossible. The worst result would be a bodge job and we are left with a circuit that's beyond use. If the money had been there from the beginning, I would have no problem with the GP going to Donington as the layouts looked fairly good. The money wasn't there and a lot of us feel conned.. and have been saying so for a long time.

I have good memories of both Silverstone and Donington having marshalled and raced at both over the years and would much rather have no GP if it meant saving either circuit.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 09:08 (Ref:2572403)   #1593
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I have been attending race meetings at Donington for over 30 years. I love the place. Hence my ire over what has been done to it, plus my initial concerns about it's capacity to hold the event.
The access roads are way too small, I remember it taking 2 hours to get out after Renault World Series last visit. Plus another hour to the M1. It would take some SERIOUS infrastructure improvements to bring access up to Silverstone standards. They could be done easily, as East Midlands Airport IS next door, so it's only an extra mile of dual carriageway to the circuit...
Old 30 Oct 2009, 09:22 (Ref:2572409)   #1594
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Purist, My driver and I both love Donington which is why this whole Gillett episode has been so upsetting.

Twice we travelled for a race this year only for it to be cancelled late in the day by subsidence and flooding at the jerry-built tunnel. Add to this the general running down of facilities and standards in the past year and it was obvious DVLL cared little for the sport or their core market.

Whoever takes over from this bunch of losers will have my full support in restoring Donington to it's previous standards.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 15:57 (Ref:2572583)   #1595
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
I'm not sure what state the track has been left it - is it all still there? Or have parts been dug up that make it unusable?

If its all there, then surely it not too big a leap to get it back for use a the best national circuit? It's way better than the Silverstone circuit used for club racing (and at least one round of the BTCC)
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 17:19 (Ref:2572621)   #1596
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Digging it all up was probably quite easy. Putting it all back again won't be.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 18:05 (Ref:2572643)   #1597
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
I'm not sure what state the track has been left it - is it all still there? Or have parts been dug up that make it unusable?

If its all there, then surely it not too big a leap to get it back for use a the best national circuit? It's way better than the Silverstone circuit used for club racing (and at least one round of the BTCC)
I posted this last week in this very thread...
Old 30 Oct 2009, 19:01 (Ref:2572664)   #1598
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Digging it all up was probably quite easy. Putting it all back again won't be.
Won't stop raining long enough I suppose Martin?
Old 30 Oct 2009, 20:19 (Ref:2572693)   #1599
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2LiftOff View Post
Won't stop raining long enough I suppose Martin?
Indeed.

The short range forecast is.......bleak!
Old 31 Oct 2009, 12:02 (Ref:2572929)   #1600
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Gillett never did transfer the £12 million deposit to FOA.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=39465
Closed Thread