Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 15 Jan 2021, 11:23 (Ref:4029196)   #1601
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprmke View Post
Plato raving about how good the new GR Yaris is on Twitter (I know several people who have bought one..... DO believe the hype!)

Does that add any fuel to the fire of the odd Plato/Speedworks rumour I’ve seen flying round?
Nah, I don't believe so.

Remember, Jason has several hats and those include media work - driving and reviewing road cars is very much something he does.

The GR Yaris is extremely good to drive, but has compromises. I wouldn't want one as my daily driver, but many (younger and less achy people) will. Will sell only a tiny amount vs how many Fiesta STs Ford shift, which is sad as it is very good.

I never rule anything out though, so although there is a contract with PMR who is to say one or both parties haven't ended it, amicably or otherwise. I do doubt this, I do not know of JP ever walking away from a contract ever.
Old 15 Jan 2021, 12:10 (Ref:4029207)   #1602
Millvi
Racer

Millvi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Smiley to stay with Excelr8 is today’s news. No great surprise in that announcement.
Old 15 Jan 2021, 12:43 (Ref:4029213)   #1603
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
That’s good, gives them continuity and Smiley is a safe pair of hands
Old 15 Jan 2021, 13:30 (Ref:4029222)   #1604
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In the true spirit of this thread, linking many unrelated points to reach a speculated drive for 2021:

Matt Neal has stated that
- he may, at some point in the future, step down from driving.
- his son would only drive if the commercial deal was right.
- he has worked on securing a driver for Shedden in recent months.
- Yuasa (and Halfords) have increased their commitment to TD (as of Aug 20).

MN posting in relation to Yuasa's Oddballs campaign has been suggested as further confirmation of less Honda support commercially.

Shedden was appointed a brand ambassador for GS Batteries (a Yuasa brand) in Sep 20.
Shedden's recent social media activity has been actively engaged with by Cammish.
Shedden has recently promoted the Oddballs campaign as part of his GS battery ambassadorship.

SO putting that all together - Shedden will be partnering Cammish in 2021, with one car entered as Halfords Yuasa and the other entered as Halfords GS.

Old 15 Jan 2021, 14:40 (Ref:4029243)   #1605
Robshillito1990
Racer

Robshillito1990 is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
In the true spirit of this thread, linking many unrelated points to reach a speculated drive for 2021:

MN posting in relation to Yuasa's Oddballs campaign has been suggested as further confirmation of less Honda support commercially.

Shedden was appointed a brand ambassador for GS Batteries (a Yuasa brand) in Sep 20.
Shedden's recent social media activity has been actively engaged with by Cammish.
Shedden has recently promoted the Oddballs campaign as part of his GS battery ambassadorship.

SO putting that all together - Shedden will be partnering Cammish in 2021, with one car entered as Halfords Yuasa and the other entered as Halfords GS.

I also think this is the case as he's now also posting about yuasas check your balls campaign on Instagram.
Old 15 Jan 2021, 15:10 (Ref:4029250)   #1606
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
I still do wonder if another TBL will be "used" by Dynamics. Do not know if this is possible, just speculating. Could Lord Gow have released a "manufacturer entry" TBL to Speedworks for the extra car? (again don't think he has). Just developing the conversation...

Will also add JP and MN interview JP looked forward to racing with Matt again; Matt said nothing to indicate this would not be a thing.
Old 15 Jan 2021, 15:24 (Ref:4029255)   #1607
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I still do wonder if another TBL will be "used" by Dynamics. Do not know if this is possible, just speculating. Could Lord Gow have released a "manufacturer entry" TBL to Speedworks for the extra car? (again don't think he has). Just developing the conversation...
According to the recent press releases the new Speedworks TBL came from the AMD/Motorbase merger.
Old 15 Jan 2021, 15:52 (Ref:4029259)   #1608
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

I do think that things have changed commercially at TD& might have been why Rowobo was in talks with them. Still think Matt’s preference to to race 1 more season. It has been stated elsewhere that Flash would only return with TD, so maybe pencil him in for 2022 🤣
Old 15 Jan 2021, 16:16 (Ref:4029263)   #1609
Robshillito1990
Racer

Robshillito1990 is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post

Will also add JP and MN interview JP looked forward to racing with Matt again; Matt said nothing to indicate this would not be a thing.
They could make the argument that they need 3 cars to compete against the likes of WSR and Laser Tools now so probably not out of the question
Old 15 Jan 2021, 16:23 (Ref:4029267)   #1610
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robshillito1990 View Post
They could make the argument that they need 3 cars to compete against the likes of WSR and Laser Tools now so probably not out of the question
The spanner in the works on this scenario is from the quotes in the TBL allocation press release of Lord Gow saying TOCA decided to retain 3 TBL’s in line with their aim of reducing the grid size over time!

I can just hear the cries of favouritism towards Dynamic’s if they then got an extra TBL. My understanding was once the list was published for the year that was it, allocation done.

Nothing stopping another team letting them run under one of theirs, but it looks like there is no space or appetite for that at present.
Old 15 Jan 2021, 16:57 (Ref:4029283)   #1611
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiiiiiim View Post
The spanner in the works on this scenario is from the quotes in the TBL allocation press release of Lord Gow saying TOCA decided to retain 3 TBL’s in line with their aim of reducing the grid size over time!

I can just hear the cries of favouritism towards Dynamic’s if they then got an extra TBL. My understanding was once the list was published for the year that was it, allocation done.

Nothing stopping another team letting them run under one of theirs, but it looks like there is no space or appetite for that at present.
With regard to the favouritism comment I would have thought that due to their history in The BTCC, Dynamics would be the most deserving team to receive such a thing (and no, I am not a T D fan - far from it!)
Old 15 Jan 2021, 16:59 (Ref:4029285)   #1612
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
OK, seems pretty clear.

So, coronavirus hangs around, no spectators allowed, Mr Weaver doesn't run a TBL or perhaps two.

MN calling AW?
Old 15 Jan 2021, 17:08 (Ref:4029288)   #1613
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
https://twitter.com/tonygilham34/sta...721129987?s=21

HARD continue on their quest to run 32 cars in the BTCC next year...
Old 15 Jan 2021, 17:21 (Ref:4029293)   #1614
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post

It's a long term investment plan. Hoover up any unused cars for peanuts; stick them in a warehouse; wait 20+ years for them to become highly desirable classics; sell them off for huge sums to eager collectors. Ker-ching!
Old 15 Jan 2021, 17:27 (Ref:4029295)   #1615
jsmee
Veteran

England
Essex, UK
jsmee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats a Merc isnt it?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 15 Jan 2021, 18:02 (Ref:4029306)   #1616
Daverb
Rookie

Daverb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gordon did a video promoting GS leisure batteries towards the start of last year so I don’t think him doing the ball promotion means much for a BTCC drive.

I hope you are right though as Cammish + Shedden would be some team.
Old 15 Jan 2021, 18:10 (Ref:4029311)   #1617
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
It's a long term investment plan. Hoover up any unused cars for peanuts; stick them in a warehouse; wait 20+ years for them to become highly desirable classics; sell them off for huge sums to eager collectors. Ker-ching!

80 grand apiece isn't exactly peanuts for a man who was desperately scrabbling for cash inside the last decade. In fact the whole Team Hard funding source (activities) is a whole separate murky topic according to some motorsport sources.
Old 15 Jan 2021, 18:16 (Ref:4029312)   #1618
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's past precedent when it comes to teams with unusual funding in the BTCC.
Old 15 Jan 2021, 18:29 (Ref:4029315)   #1619
VXDave
Racer

VXDave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

That just made me LOL 😆 😂 🤣
Old 15 Jan 2021, 18:42 (Ref:4029317)   #1620
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
is a whole separate murky topic according to some motorsport sources.
they are all little children compared to the 70s-80s IMSA days (international marijuana smuggling association) or Vic Lee
Old 15 Jan 2021, 20:08 (Ref:4029324)   #1621
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
vic was small fry compared to others
Old 15 Jan 2021, 20:45 (Ref:4029328)   #1622
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Quote:

34 mate, Tony's racing number. It'll be a 34 car field in the #TGTCC. Needs more letters in that acronym, way way not long enough!
Old 15 Jan 2021, 21:28 (Ref:4029332)   #1623
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmee View Post
Thats a Merc isnt it?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Yeah, tagged #completeset so the ex-Moffat Merc I assume.
Old 16 Jan 2021, 10:09 (Ref:4029401)   #1624
Tja
Racer

Tja should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many of these cars can still be run though? They're building 5 new cars at HARD this winter so have most of these shells been cannibalised for their NGTC kit?
Old 16 Jan 2021, 10:43 (Ref:4029406)   #1625
andyjr0999
Rookie

andyjr0999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With all the comments surrounding wasted driver seats and AG wanting to reduce grid sizes, has anyone discussed the possibility in the future of a points based entry system into the championship from feeder series?

I would much rather see a grid of 20 top drivers on merit than a grid of 29 where the additional 9 may as well be anyone in this forum.

It seems by a number of comments that this approach would be welcomed?