Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 16 Nov 2011, 01:44 (Ref:2987042)   #1626
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looks like a 90s GT1 car (Mclaren F1 or Nissan comes to mind), GTP, Super GT GT500, a regular Daytona Prototype and the Corvette GT2 all came together and had a baby.

Liking it, the mixed reaction is not suprising, if this same car was racing in the ALMS or WEC to ACO rules we would hear nothing but praise about it. Good to see Grand Am and it's partners are willing to change.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 01:49 (Ref:2987048)   #1627
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedSmile View Post
Whoa, I can't believe I'm saying this but I really like it, I agree that it looks a lot like a late 90's GT1 car and that's not a bad thing at all IMO. It would look plain badass in Corvette Racing livery.
Would be fun to see this go against a GT2 Vette, I imagine it's probably not much faster, if it's actually faster at all.
That myth is so tired it isn't even funny.

2011 Lime Rock
ALMS Corvette best qualifying time (Gavin) 0:51.897
Grand Am DP Dallara/Chevy (Angeleli/Taylor) qualifying time 0:49.583

Shamelessly stolen from Trackforum
Old 16 Nov 2011, 02:09 (Ref:2987049)   #1628
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post

Liking it, the mixed reaction is not suprising, if this same car was racing in the ALMS or WEC to ACO rules we would hear nothing but praise about it.
I think I would think the same thing; I'm not wild about the technical aspects of a DP, but it's a good interpretation of the ruleset. It looks decent from most angles. Not wholly sold on the greenhouse, but not all ACO ones are things of beauty either. Still hope this isn't the shot across the bows of the Corvette GTE program it appears to be.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 03:23 (Ref:2987072)   #1629
trahsub
Racer

United States
Long Island, NY
trahsub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
I think I would think the same thing; I'm not wild about the technical aspects of a DP, but it's a good interpretation of the ruleset. It looks decent from most angles. Not wholly sold on the greenhouse, but not all ACO ones are things of beauty either. Still hope this isn't the shot across the bows of the Corvette GTE program it appears to be.
Aren't the works vettes one of the most popular cars at Le Mans? I don't really see this as a shot across the bow. The teams switching to this body in GA have been mainstays in that series for a while now. This 'vette' is more of a DP option for teams than a exclusive, proprietary car which is only reserved for a factory team.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 08:16 (Ref:2987120)   #1630
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Well ..... Im shocked !!!

For the first time ever , a really nice lookin GA/DP ..... silence ............................
I quite like it, its the first DP that I really ever could look at and not think, 'urgh'

Im thinking there'll be some serious driver lineups from GM for at least the Rolex 24.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 14:15 (Ref:2987235)   #1631
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
Still hope this isn't the shot across the bows of the Corvette GTE program it appears to be.
With some of the current (former?) GTE drivers announced in a DP for next season, I am interested to see an announcement regarding the GTE driver lineups for Corvette. And how will they assign the drivers when there is a conflicting schedule date - say Laguna/New Jersey in May and Road America/Montreal in August.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 14:43 (Ref:2987249)   #1632
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Detroit also conflicts with Test Day weekend, although it's not that big of an issue.

Gavin and Magnussen did handful of races with Camaros this year as well, but obviously ALMS takes the priority... I would expect the same from next year. Also this comment by Chevy's Jim Campbell:

Quote:
“I don't see a factory team (of the four), but we do have four fantastic partners and teams. Having great team owners and drivers and engineering staffs is a terrific formula. In terms of drivers, Gavin, Garcia and Magnussen will race Rolex 24, and you may see other races in DP, in GT or (Continental Sports Car Tire Series) GS later in the season. A number of drivers did GT or GS this season. Time will tell on that."
Old 16 Nov 2011, 15:44 (Ref:2987272)   #1633
Livininthinair
Veteran

United States
Colorado
Livininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLivininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks like an NHRA funny car to me...
Old 16 Nov 2011, 15:50 (Ref:2987276)   #1634
Livininthinair
Veteran

United States
Colorado
Livininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLivininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sOrRy DoUbLe PoSt
Old 16 Nov 2011, 16:34 (Ref:2987286)   #1635
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If this was Corvette's latest track weapon to take on the 458 and MP4, thumbs up, as an LMP rival I'm not so sure.

What I do think is a mistake is allowing the same body on multiple chassis, they need Corvette vs Ford vs Porsche vs BMW, not Riley Corvette vs Dallara Corvette vs Coyote Corvette.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 18:56 (Ref:2987356)   #1636
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Something quite interesting with this move, is how it will affect the Corvette GT2 team.
Corvette could use some skilled drivers if they want to field an official team, and i know Magnussen loves bigger machines. (no matter how much
Could the Gran Am use (steal) some of the Corvette GT2 drivers?
Old 16 Nov 2011, 18:57 (Ref:2987357)   #1637
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Double Post.
Is there server problems currently? - I'm having problems when i quick reply.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 19:39 (Ref:2987383)   #1638
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Double Post.
Is there server problems currently? - I'm having problems when i quick reply.
There has been some lagging for some days when submitting a post.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 19:50 (Ref:2987391)   #1639
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Same at my end ..... terrible lag .
Old 17 Nov 2011, 01:07 (Ref:2987479)   #1640
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
What I do think is a mistake is allowing the same body on multiple chassis, they need Corvette vs Ford vs Porsche vs BMW, not Riley Corvette vs Dallara Corvette vs Coyote Corvette.
Reportedly the new Corvette DPs will each be known as a "Chevrolet Corvette Daytona Prototype" without reference to the chassis underneath. Presumably, should another manufacturer produce/authorize their own bodywork, the cars so clad, regardless of chassis, would be similarly named. Tada. Your wish is granted.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 01:12 (Ref:2987482)   #1641
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
It's actually a bit like V8Supercar, where a team can buy their Holden or Ford from various different builders - or tubeframe era Trans-Am for that matter.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 02:05 (Ref:2987498)   #1642
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danske View Post
Reportedly the new Corvette DPs will each be known as a "Chevrolet Corvette Daytona Prototype" without reference to the chassis underneath. Presumably, should another manufacturer produce/authorize their own bodywork, the cars so clad, regardless of chassis, would be similarly named. Tada. Your wish is granted.
That's what's wrong from my perspective, three cars with little in common other than spec parts and body panels, passed off as the same Corvette.

The GTE Z06 shows me P&M and Corvette's engineering stands up with the best on offer from the worlds most respected sportscar manufactuers, engineering which is improving the road car breed. The DP tells me they can incorporate Z06 head and tail lights into a generic mid-engine design, it's purely a marketing move (obviously), but it's the engineering and development that attracts me to this sport.

Aesthetics plays only a small part in making a car beautiful, it's why a Panoz LMP01 is a supermodel, and the Corvette DP is (insert description!).
Old 17 Nov 2011, 13:20 (Ref:2987721)   #1643
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
That's what's wrong from my perspective, three cars with little in common other than spec parts and body panels, passed off as the same Corvette.
I think spec parts makes them have lots in common, doesn't it? The main differences would be in the tubeframes themselves, but since the rules are tight on what you can do, I'm guessing it would be hard to tell them apart if you saw the bare chassis. But I do wonder why the chassis makers would allow their name to be dropped from the car.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 17:01 (Ref:2987820)   #1644
kyoung
Racer

United States
kyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

The GTE Z06 shows me P&M and Corvette's engineering stands up with the best on offer from the worlds most respected sportscar manufactuers, engineering which is improving the road car breed. The DP tells me they can incorporate Z06 head and tail lights into a generic mid-engine design, it's purely a marketing move (obviously), but it's the engineering and development that attracts me to this sport.

Aesthetics plays only a small part in making a car beautiful, it's why a Panoz LMP01 is a supermodel, and the Corvette DP is (insert description!).
You’re talking about two different things, GTs and Prototypes. When it comes down to it the DPs are basically a spec class giving teams a choice of several platforms that they can put any mug on they wish. I really don’t see the difference between an LMP built to rules read BoP or a less expensive DP. And if you want to talk about an ugly green house take a good look at the Audi P1, it looks like they horked it right from a DP.

I know some folks are big proto-fans and I’m not here to rain on their parade, but I prefer GTs. So for me the closer they look like a road car the better as far as I am concerned. Haters are going to hate, but for me this is a huge step in the right direction for Grand Am.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 17:14 (Ref:2987826)   #1645
kyoung
Racer

United States
kyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
But I do wonder why the chassis makers would allow their name to be dropped from the car.
Because chassis maker’s customers are teams who will gravitate to whoever makes the best chassis. Not the general public who wouldn’t know a Dallara chassis from a go-cart. The body panels give the general public, i.e. people who don’t frequent this type of forum a connection to the manufacturers. And yes, before someone brings up the NASCAR connection I get it, but if any success is to gained in this series racing has to appeal to more than just the fanatics on this forum. Plus they just look better…a lot better.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 19:49 (Ref:2987899)   #1646
vaccarella
Rookie

vaccarella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
That myth is so tired it isn't even funny.

2011 Lime Rock
ALMS Corvette best qualifying time (Gavin) 0:51.897
Grand Am DP Dallara/Chevy (Angeleli/Taylor) qualifying time 0:49.583

Shamelessly stolen from Trackforum
Let's also realize that the DP is carries 200 lbs of ballast, is on harder tires and also does not have the use of carbon brakes.

This newer DP incorporates less front downforce/drag
and has a narrower cockpit which will produce quicker straight line speed.

For Nino
Old 17 Nov 2011, 20:09 (Ref:2987907)   #1647
vaccarella
Rookie

vaccarella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Pardon me, but your thinking is convoluted and pompas.

What would you have said if the ACO had allowed the Chevy Vette LMP, because that car would not have reflected about as much as the DP does with regard to the production car. A Vette is what Chevy says it is, not what you say it is.

The same company (P&M) makes both cars. Both cars conform to the rules set forth by the sanction they compete in, in two different classes. Neither chassis can be found on the street, but the GT version IS more production-based.

Of course, the GT is going to reflect Chevy's production... I think the word, DUH comes to mind. You cannot compare these cars. This is apples to oranges. As far as connecting DP's to LMP's, the thinking is totally different as well. You would be wiser to not compare the Corvette DP to any other class of car now running, because the DP class is unique unto itself.

Enjoy (if you can) the difference in the classes since they will never compete against each other.

The Coyote/P&M Vette at every turn in its production, had Chevy's input.
The P&M version is as Chevy as a factory GT.

For Nino
Old 17 Nov 2011, 20:25 (Ref:2987910)   #1648
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Testing footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FyXE...tailpage#t=39s
Old 17 Nov 2011, 20:34 (Ref:2987913)   #1649
kyoung
Racer

United States
Thanks deggis, was searching youtube earlier and came up blank.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 21:55 (Ref:2987951)   #1650
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaccarella View Post
What would you have said if the ACO had allowed the Chevy Vette LMP, because that car would not have reflected about as much as the DP does with regard to the production car. A Vette is what Chevy says it is, not what you say it is.
If you're happy for an engine switch and change of bodywork to be the only factors distinguishing a Corvette from a Ford, fine, the NASCAR template applied to sportscars will always be difficult. In my book GT3 would have been the way to go, but the DP concept couldn't be allowed to fail.

Last edited by JAG; 17 Nov 2011 at 22:07.