Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 5 May 2011, 14:59 (Ref:2874643)   #1676
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt View Post
It'll be badged as a Lotus, but the item indicated that Judd would be the builder.
In post #1671 you said

Quote:
To be honest, since they have their ties with KV Racing, I thought it would be built by Cosworth since Kalkhoven owns it.
Quote:
Just out of curiousity, why on Earth would you think that Cosworth would build an engine that they would "badge" with the name of another engine builder and thus, a competitor?

I don't seem to understand what logic would be behind such a move by Cosworth and that's is why I would have to respectfully disagree with you on that one.
The only reason Cosworth would have for rebaging the engine would be a marketing one.
Old 5 May 2011, 17:06 (Ref:2874766)   #1677
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think you misunderstood my meaning in those two posts.

I was expressing surprise that Lotus chose Judd as the builder of the engine when they have an existing relationship with KV Racing, owned by Kalkhoven, who also is half owner of Cosworth.

Somehow that got translated into a Cosworth being branded as a Judd engine...How? I don't know.

Hope that clarifies what I meant and sorry if it caused confusion.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 5 May 2011, 17:11 (Ref:2874770)   #1678
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I think you misunderstood my meaning in those two posts.

I was expressing surprise that Lotus chose Judd as the builder of the engine when they have an existing relationship with KV Racing, owned by Kalkhoven, who also is half owner of Cosworth.

Somehow that got translated into a Cosworth being branded as a Judd engine...How? I don't know.

Hope that clarifies what I meant and sorry if it caused confusion.
No probs, thanks .
Old 9 May 2011, 02:29 (Ref:2877173)   #1679
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Here's an interesting rant from TMS President Eddie Gossage:

http://www.racer.com/gossage-slams-i...rticle/202158/

I love his parting shot about the country club.
Old 9 May 2011, 03:23 (Ref:2877180)   #1680
Empty Box
Rookie

Empty Box should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Here's an interesting rant from TMS President Eddie Gossage:

http://www.racer.com/gossage-slams-i...rticle/202158/

I love his parting shot about the country club.
The man is speaking the truth.

Ya know, I'm not sure I understand precisely how in the world American Open Wheel got from 1990 to 2010. They ****ed away so much - particularly CART. So much vanished so quickly. But that is in the past, no need for discussion or debate.

Glimmer of hope for the next season, now they want to take that as well. Could someone clarify this though, are all the packages supposed to cost $75k? Likely, one will be best, which kind of defeats the purpose.

They have to come some time, or else they will be saying the same thing come 2012. Have to spend money to make money, which I hope they realize considering racing ain't cheap. If there was no money to be made, there would be no racing.

If they are coming, might as well have them come sooner rather than later. Give me a good reason to NOT have them come in 2012, but instead a year later in 2013? Money? Call me crazy, but they'll still need to spend the money the next year if they choose, no?
Old 10 May 2011, 17:26 (Ref:2878264)   #1681
marcostraz
Veteran

marcostraz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First look at next generation car concepts:
http://www.indycar.com/news/show/55-...-car-concepts/
Old 10 May 2011, 18:18 (Ref:2878299)   #1682
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcostraz View Post
First look at next generation car concepts:
http://www.indycar.com/news/show/55-...-car-concepts/
I thought we were going to get a photo of the new car, instead we got a photo of a Top Secret wooden crate.

Hopefully I can find a site that's streaming Versus at 9:00pm BST.
Old 10 May 2011, 18:32 (Ref:2878308)   #1683
Empty Box
Rookie

Empty Box should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't wait to see that thing do 225 into T1 at Indy. lol

* Might be a bit aerodynamically brick-ish.
Old 10 May 2011, 19:13 (Ref:2878333)   #1684
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The scuttlebutt here in Indy is that they are going to show what kind of variety of aero concepts and looks could be possible, but this will not be the final Dallara with the Dallara aero on it.

Obviously, no one else has kits in the works yet, supposedly.

Not sure if this is going to be a big deal or just a big letdown.

Guess we'll find out in about 45 minutes or so.

Old 10 May 2011, 19:26 (Ref:2878343)   #1685
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
I've managed to get a feed from Versus. Obviuosly the program about the new car is in about 25 mins time. However, I'm not too sure if this is the right feed. They were showing some guy in camo and some Turkeys in a field.
Old 10 May 2011, 19:36 (Ref:2878357)   #1686
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
I've managed to get a feed from Versus. Obviuosly the program about the new car is in about 25 mins time. However, I'm not too sure if this is the right feed. They were showing some guy in camo and some Turkeys in a field.
They show a decent anount of hunting shows.

There is a guy on another forum who is with one of the local TV stations here in Indy and he is looking at the concepts now.

He says there ar some pretty wild-looking designs on display, but the photos are embargoed until 4 p.m.

Old 10 May 2011, 19:53 (Ref:2878371)   #1687
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
They show a decent anount of hunting shows.

There is a guy on another forum who is with one of the local TV stations here in Indy and he is looking at the concepts now.

He says there ar some pretty wild-looking designs on display, but the photos are embargoed until 4 p.m.
Ok thanks. It looked like a hunting show, so hopefully I've got the right feed.
Old 10 May 2011, 20:00 (Ref:2878376)   #1688
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.trackforum.com/forums/sho...how-car/page11

fugly.
Old 10 May 2011, 20:09 (Ref:2878380)   #1689
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A joke.
Old 10 May 2011, 20:16 (Ref:2878384)   #1690
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow that oval version is one of the ugliest open wheel cars Ive ever seen. Road course version (excluding the front end) looks okay but still,
Old 10 May 2011, 20:23 (Ref:2878387)   #1691
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Thanks for your love, understanding and support

Sincerely,

Tony Cotman
ICONIC Committee
Dallara
Randy Barnard

Old 10 May 2011, 20:28 (Ref:2878389)   #1692
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England

What's that car under the tarp in the background?

It looks like they have airboxs; I thought turbos were back next year?

Should have gone with Lola.
Old 10 May 2011, 20:44 (Ref:2878402)   #1693
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm serious I can't stop laughing every time I look at the photo. I'm laughing so hard it's making my eyes tear up.

The universe has a way of righting wrongs and tony george and cult followers get to ride this into the ground.

If this is the best they can do someone needs their head examined.
Old 10 May 2011, 20:52 (Ref:2878405)   #1694
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I'm serious I can't stop laughing every time I look at the photo. I'm laughing so hard it's making my eyes tear up.

The universe has a way of righting wrongs and tony george and cult followers get to ride this into the ground.

If this is the best they can do someone needs their head examined.
Why did they go with Dallara? They made that lemon of an F1 car and the nasty thing they're currently racing. I can only hope the final version is an improvement on what was on offer today.
Old 10 May 2011, 21:22 (Ref:2878425)   #1695
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jesus. Randy: do not let this happen.
Old 10 May 2011, 21:22 (Ref:2878426)   #1696
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Brutal. Plus they kept the low, ugly, long nose of the current Dallara. Yuck! Oh well, at least they listened to the fans and have done away with multiple body kit manufacturers .
The road course version is the least ugly of the two. They look awfully slow and draggy. I was considering attending the 500 next year - not anymore. I wonder if Lotus (maybe Chevy) will use the lack of propietary bodywork as an excuse to back out of this mess?
Old 10 May 2011, 21:28 (Ref:2878431)   #1697
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

What's that car under the tarp in the background?
Conway's Indy paint scheme/sponsor annoucement (old) car.
Old 10 May 2011, 21:38 (Ref:2878440)   #1698
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agree about the nose

Can't these tools work out that if they want to attract a new younger audience to the sport, the LOOK of the cars is crucial (forget the different bodykits for a moment). They need to be sexy, purposeful and beefy looking. This just looks like a GP2 car with some utterly hideous bolted-on junk. A complete joke, and an insult to IndyCar's rich history.

Wish they'd start with the vague look of an old Reynard or Lola and use that as their base concept to build a design up from... why do Dallara insist on making IndyCar look like a second or third tier European feeder series? Credit to them for their achievements like dominating F3 for decades, but I wish they'd **** off from AOWR which I used to love.

Please, Randy et al, listen to the reactions to these concepts and send Dallara back to the drawing board, preferably with copies of Swift's and Lola's designs and a quiet word to use them for inspiration.

Edit: More pictures

Last edited by jondownunder; 10 May 2011 at 21:44.
Old 10 May 2011, 21:47 (Ref:2878447)   #1699
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder View Post
why do Dallara insist on making IndyCar look like a second or third tier European feeder series? Edit: More pictures
Because that's where they started and that's really all they know how to produce.
Old 10 May 2011, 22:16 (Ref:2878454)   #1700
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Honestly, did anybody expect Dallara to make a good looking car? Just look at their most recent F1 car, the abomination of a GP2 car in both looks and safety, GP3 car, the current Indycar and Indy Lights chassis and the fact that they managed to make a Daytona Prototype even uglier than usual with the horrible front nose.