Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 28 Jan 2009, 23:15 (Ref:2381746)   #151
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_cat
It was both legs, wasn't it? And I didn't realise until his top-10 at Indy 2007 that he still suffers mobility problems. Amazing achievement for him to still be able to run competitively, I'd like to see him do well.
I believe you're correct el...
Old 29 Jan 2009, 15:34 (Ref:2382139)   #152
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Indy Star reported today that Rahal Letterman Racing will not run in IndyCar in 2009.

Can't find a sponsor.

http://www.indystar.com/article/200...5/1052/SPORTS01

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 30 Jan 2009, 00:01 (Ref:2382381)   #153
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They have funding in place for the 500, but nothing else as yet.

Bleak.
Old 30 Jan 2009, 00:15 (Ref:2382386)   #154
madman16
Racer

Australia
Brisvegas, Aus
madman16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a shame isn't it. A reasonably good team with a legend of the sport behind it can't get the money to run.

All the positive energy of reunification and large grids last year to continue onwards and upwards this year then get hit with a financial crisis.

Hopefully this will only bring the series and partners closer together to improve the series even more for when the good times roll back in
Old 30 Jan 2009, 00:31 (Ref:2382395)   #155
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well he hasn't said that he isn't running yet, just that he doesn't have the funds to run yet. However, they are still looking for that funding. I wouldn't be surprised to see them only run a partial schedule but I'd be very surprised to see them only at Indy...I'm still hopeful...

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 30 Jan 2009, 00:36 (Ref:2382398)   #156
madman16
Racer

Australia
Brisvegas, Aus
Well i hope they get it. Someone of Rahals statue is great for the sport. They need someone like him there
Old 30 Jan 2009, 05:24 (Ref:2382496)   #157
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
DanicaFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im hoping a sponsor comes in at the last minute. I cant imagine the IRL without Rahal running in it.

Im thinking that Dave Letterman makes millions a year. Cant he help fund a team ??
Old 30 Jan 2009, 05:57 (Ref:2382498)   #158
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The whole rahal thing has been on the cards since last fall so it's no surprise it's out in the few rags that cover the irl. Eventually it had to come out.
Old 30 Jan 2009, 06:25 (Ref:2382504)   #159
madman16
Racer

Australia
Brisvegas, Aus
I knew for a while now that Rahals team had been struggling but i'm still fingers crossed
Old 30 Jan 2009, 14:10 (Ref:2382679)   #160
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Now Rahal and his people are saying that they haven't given up the ghost, but it looks "Unlikely" that they can do it without a sponsor...They are still looking and can get ready in two weeks if one is landed...not likely in this economic climate though...The "Not Running" was from a partial quote printed by the AP and picked up by the Star, but Cavin called yesterday and got clarification from Rahal himself for a follow-up.

Rahal said that "Unless pennies fall from heaven in our lap" there won't be sufficient funding to run a competitive full season effort...(the "Quote" marks were his actual words and the rest was paraphrased...)

Looks bad...don't hold your breath...

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 30 Jan 2009 at 15:29.

Old 30 Jan 2009, 17:21 (Ref:2382746)   #161
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
Now Rahal and his people are saying that they haven't given up the ghost, but it looks "Unlikely" that they can do it without a sponsor...They are still looking and can get ready in two weeks if one is landed...not likely in this economic climate though...The "Not Running" was from a partial quote printed by the AP and picked up by the Star, but Cavin called yesterday and got clarification from Rahal himself for a follow-up.

Rahal said that "Unless pennies fall from heaven in our lap" there won't be sufficient funding to run a competitive full season effort...(the "Quote" marks were his actual words and the rest was paraphrased...)

Looks bad...don't hold your breath...
Well Rahal has FBMW now to run as well as the BMW ALMS team so he should be fine.
Old 30 Jan 2009, 18:03 (Ref:2382770)   #162
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
Well Rahal has FBMW now to run as well as the BMW ALMS team so he should be fine.
Agreed...they had a good three days down at Sebring earlier this week during the ALMS' "Wheels Down Winter Test" to shakedown those BMWs.

Old 31 Jan 2009, 02:02 (Ref:2382989)   #163
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To be honest the way I see it, even if Bobby didn't have a dime to run Indy David Letterman would pay for the Indy 500 as he knows its too important for him to miss unlike perhaps a full season so much...
Old 31 Jan 2009, 06:35 (Ref:2383027)   #164
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
To be honest the way I see it, even if Bobby didn't have a dime to run Indy David Letterman would pay for the Indy 500 as he knows its too important for him to miss unlike perhaps a full season so much...
Problem is that funding has dried up for the irl. The manufacturers could care less. Potential sponsors giggle on the floor at the cost/benefit ratio. The wealthy team owners and/or drivers that could keep it propped up would rather do something cool in the ALMS or try to make money in Nascab. So really the irl is on a hiding to nowhere. All the sources of funding are drying up therefore you'll increasingly find people like Rahal milking wealthy parents in FBMW or on the manufacturer teat in the ALMS or elsewhere.

Letterman is notoriously tight fisted so I wouldn't expect a whole lot there.
Old 31 Jan 2009, 15:46 (Ref:2383238)   #165
nic.v814
Racer

New Zealand
Perth
nic.v814 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Problem is that funding has dried up for the irl. The manufacturers could care less. Potential sponsors giggle on the floor at the cost/benefit ratio. The wealthy team owners and/or drivers that could keep it propped up would rather do something cool in the ALMS or try to make money in Nascab. So really the irl is on a hiding to nowhere. All the sources of funding are drying up therefore you'll increasingly find people like Rahal milking wealthy parents in FBMW or on the manufacturer teat in the ALMS or elsewhere.

Letterman is notoriously tight fisted so I wouldn't expect a whole lot there.
I think the cost/benefit ratio is what its all about nascar simply controls to much or the market why bother with a full indycar season sponsorship when you couldnget the same exposure in four or five nascar races. Indycar has to slash its costs big time if they want to stick around.
Old 31 Jan 2009, 18:22 (Ref:2383323)   #166
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic.v814
I think the cost/benefit ratio is what its all about nascar simply controls to much or the market why bother with a full indycar season sponsorship when you couldnget the same exposure in four or five nascar races. Indycar has to slash its costs big time if they want to stick around.
Slashing costs though doesn't fix the underlining problems the irl has. It's a band aid on a big nasty sore.
Old 1 Feb 2009, 02:34 (Ref:2383494)   #167
nic.v814
Racer

New Zealand
Perth

Quote:
Slashing costs though doesn't fix the underlining problems the irl has. It's a band aid on a big nasty sore.
Slashings costs is just the beginning and hopefully it would stop the nasty sore killing the series from blood loss.
What underlining problems are you refering to? Crowd numbers,tv audience?
Old 1 Feb 2009, 03:21 (Ref:2383502)   #168
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It would be easier to talk about underlying plus points to be fair.
Old 1 Feb 2009, 04:28 (Ref:2383520)   #169
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Slashings costs is just the beginning and hopefully it would stop the nasty sore killing the series from blood loss.
What underlining problems are you refering to? Crowd numbers,tv audience?
What else are you going to cut? Most teams are already running bare boned operations.

You have a series run with indiana centrist thinking, an antagonistic relationship with many in the business, an ugly car that sounds terrible, drivers the public cannot relate to, a crappy tv deal, stone age public relations, etc.

I think you're going to see another team or two go out of business here shortly.

The best thing would be to end it and start over.
Old 1 Feb 2009, 10:16 (Ref:2383601)   #170
nic.v814
Racer

New Zealand
Perth
Quote:
What else are you going to cut? Most teams are already running bare boned operations.

You have a series run with indiana centrist thinking, an antagonistic relationship with many in the business, an ugly car that sounds terrible, drivers the public cannot relate to, a crappy tv deal, stone age public relations, etc.

I think you're going to see another team or two go out of business here shortly.

The best thing would be to end it and start over.
You are right but starting over again from nothing would be extremely difficult.
Im just wondering if any open wheel series can be hugely popular in america or does everyone stick to NASCAR. I mean f1 always struggled ,champcar struggled for years and the IRL is struggling aswell.
Old 1 Feb 2009, 11:03 (Ref:2383606)   #171
madman16
Racer

Australia
Brisvegas, Aus
Quote:
You are right but starting over again from nothing would be extremely difficult.
Im just wondering if any open wheel series can be hugely popular in america or does everyone stick to NASCAR. I mean f1 always struggled ,champcar struggled for years and the IRL is struggling aswell.
True but at one stage CART or whatever it was called in the late 80's through to mid 90's ruled all. So the market is there you just have to recapture it's imagination and that's not happening at the moment.

The only other option they have would be to fast-track the new chassis and engine package and hope for the best
Old 1 Feb 2009, 11:11 (Ref:2383611)   #172
nic.v814
Racer

New Zealand
Perth
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman16
True but at one stage CART or whatever it was called in the late 80's through to mid 90's ruled all. So the market is there you just have to recapture it's imagination and that's not happening at the moment.

The only other option they have would be to fast-track the new chassis and engine package and hope for the best
I know the there used to be a big market but that was over 10 years ago alot has changed.
Old 1 Feb 2009, 13:15 (Ref:2383654)   #173
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Well alot of problems is last year the teams from Champ Car had the financial support from TG for 2008 now they don't have that and now with the bad economy world wide its now impossible for those CC teams to put out 2 car teams which is a great shame really.

As for fast track the new chassis and engine won't this just be another DP01 for Champ Car? All the teams buy new equipment, cheaper but they having to pay out money when they would just keep they're 8 year old chassis etc....
Old 1 Feb 2009, 15:04 (Ref:2383700)   #174
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

KV cutting back possibly: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73088
Old 1 Feb 2009, 19:06 (Ref:2383732)   #175
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73091

Quote:
"We're a close group at Conquest Racing and we're excited about the upcoming season," he said. "Our cars are ready to go racing per the 2009 rules and we hope to be at the test in Homestead in a few weeks time.

"We're confident that we will succeed in putting together a strong programme for the 2009 season. We are in contact with many potential sponsors and we should hopefully have deals finalised in a matter of weeks."
Conquest let us know they are committing and looking to field 2 cars as normal..