Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 8 Aug 2007, 20:41 (Ref:1984366)   #151
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Leighton read my last post. drivers to show their worth
Old 8 Aug 2007, 21:20 (Ref:1984413)   #152
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
What will be the mechanism for judging whether or not a driver needs to go through the IPS route?
Old 8 Aug 2007, 21:38 (Ref:1984430)   #153
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The advantage with the IPS is to attract the 'grass routes' drivers. Lloyd and co could make the jump next year from the IPS.
Old 8 Aug 2007, 21:44 (Ref:1984435)   #154
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Indeed. I would like to see more of a link between IPS and IRL, but, if we are talking about introducing some kind of mandatory system, we need to be very careful about how it is organised.

Done in a sensible manner and it could be decent, but chucked together without thinking it through properly could be disastrous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Perhaps a rule stating that x-cars of each team (the number varying depending on how many cars a team has) must have a driver who has spent x-time in IPS?
I still think that (or something of much the same idea) is pretty much the best compromise.

Last edited by Dutton; 8 Aug 2007 at 21:48.
Old 8 Aug 2007, 21:45 (Ref:1984437)   #155
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's the deal for Montoya and NASCAR?
What's the deal for F1?
What's the deal for V8Supercars?

Don't they all have some sort of qualifying / Super License before they are in?

Just because you have money (or your husbands) doesn't mean you should be accepted onto the grid. As i said you have to prove your worth. What that may be leave that up to the officials. As a concept it has merit and I feel that maybe IRL will be looking at something like this in the future now they have Duno on probation.
Old 8 Aug 2007, 21:48 (Ref:1984440)   #156
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC
What's the deal for Montoya and NASCAR?
What's the deal for F1?
What's the deal for V8Supercars?

Don't they all have some sort of qualifying / Super License before they are in?

Just because you have money (or your husbands) doesn't mean you should be accepted onto the grid. As i said you have to prove your worth. What that may be leave that up to the officials. As a concept it has merit and I feel that maybe IRL will be looking at something like this in the future now they have Duno on probation.
The IRL have a rookie test. You don't have to be fast, just consistent. Of course she was consistently slow.
Old 8 Aug 2007, 23:06 (Ref:1984495)   #157
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Coming back to this a bit late, but out of the 6 races Duno has been in, she actually crashed out of one. Now, I was not a math major, but one out of six does not = "every." The other races broke down as one mechanical DNF and 3 "Handling" and/or black flag for being slow.

Point being, I still don't rate her, but please don't generalize when the facts are clearly contraverting what you are positing.

Further, in re: Manning. He is having a heck of a year and has in no way been a back-marker.

As far as the rookie testing, I am not sure how that works for the series. I am somewhat familiar with how that is handled for the 500. I do know that the drivers are observed at speed at various tracks.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 9 Aug 2007, 04:34 (Ref:1984616)   #158
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
She did crash 3 times during the month of may though, and about 4 more times in testing/practice at other tracks.

This is how the IndyCar rookie test works:

first, to even be allowed to take the test, you must either have "high powered car" experience or long-distance race experience to convince Barnhart that you could handle a complete IndyCar race.

During the test, you complete a very similar procedure to the Indy 500 ROP program. You first go out and become familiar with the car. Then you turn laps partially at speed, then you turn laps at full speed. These tests are observed by any one of a number of veteran racers and often Barnhart.

A rookie driver is expected to complete some sort of testing at each of the first few new tracks he or she visits prior to that race weekend. This extra testing is allowed under IRL rules. Depending on the performance of that driver, the testing requirement may be relaxed or removed, however, poor performance may result in the team being ordered to take one or more weeks off to test before being allowed to enter a race again. This happened to Roth last year.

My understanding is that Milka will be allowed to enter Chicagoland if and only if she is able to run a full race distance of testing at the track prior to it and show that she can safely pass and be passed by Tomas Enge who the team has been told that they should run a car in testing for.

Running a 2-car test is a very expensive proposition for that team and they're likely wondering if it's worth it at this point.
Old 9 Aug 2007, 05:02 (Ref:1984625)   #159
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Thanks drdisque, finally some clarification for entry.

I still think they need to relook at it and still think either races or a season in the Pro Series is a good idea. Unless of cause you are Alonso, but we really dont want him in this series. He cheats
Old 9 Aug 2007, 09:30 (Ref:1984745)   #160
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks, drdisque. good point about the Chicagoland test (proposed) being an expensive one for the team.

A feeder sereies is exactly that: a feeder series. There is nothing "core" to either IPS or Atlantics that would make participation de riguer for drivers wishing to go on to IRL/CC. Now if a driver popped up coming straight out of karts with limited racing experience, say like Kimi did, then maybe you could require that. Motorsport in general provides sufficient opportunities to demonstrate proficiency in progressively faster equipment.

Which brings us back to the FIA - since the FIA certifies race results for sanctioned events, a verifiable paper trail is created. Series officials can pull the info on driver X to get a sense for what they did, when, and how competitive the driver was.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 9 Aug 2007, 10:03 (Ref:1984759)   #161
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
I would have been interested to see how Milka would have done in a full year of IPS.
Old 9 Aug 2007, 10:20 (Ref:1984771)   #162
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Badly.
Old 9 Aug 2007, 10:24 (Ref:1984774)   #163
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
Badly.
Exactly,
Old 9 Aug 2007, 13:41 (Ref:1984889)   #164
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Where did you get that quote, Luke?

If it was any form of media source, you need to cite that source or you are republishing what is proabably copyrighted material.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 9 Aug 2007, 15:13 (Ref:1984933)   #165
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
(The one about her being on probation for her driving? It was from Wikipedia, sorry I forgot to add the link.)
Old 9 Aug 2007, 17:50 (Ref:1985029)   #166
OpenWheel4ever
Racer

European Union
OpenWheel4ever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
Well I never said Simmons should leave....But he among others are the drivers that were part of the original plan to be in the Indy Racing League. So I think it is important with the IRL's current direction that it tries to keep its onriginal intended roots still. Like I said Simmons has been poor and has had the opportinity but IMO it's important him among others stay in the series because of their paths etc and try to continue that path. Chesson is another example. American and can race ovals..

But Paul Dana I am sorry along with Milka (back on topic) are just too slow and aren't even good enough and a lot worse than Carpenter, Foyt, Manning etc. Herb and Kite you can also add that list of drivers that IMO are just too slow.
But Luke, a driver is not alone to have speed or not...I mean, if he has a small team, with a small budget, he can't have a good car, or if he has a good car, it won't be in the top teams in the results. Kite, Herb have always been with small teams, so it's normal they are in the bottom of the standings.

One thing I will always remember, for example, the qualifying for the Homestead race 2006. Dana qualified 9th on a 20 cars-field. Do you think he was slow? I don't think so. But he never got the chance to prove that he could have been fast all the season.

Another example, in 2001 TK drove for MoNunn in 2002 in CART. He finished only 12th in the final standings. Why?? cause he was in a small team with a small budget. One year after, he drove for Andretti Green Racing, a very big and rich team. He finished 4th in the championship only 31 pts behind the champion Dixon...

You know a driver can always have a chance to run on the top...you just have to let him a chance...
Old 9 Aug 2007, 17:56 (Ref:1985032)   #167
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel4ever
But Luke, a driver is not alone to have speed or not...I mean, if he has a small team, with a small budget, he can't have a good car, or if he has a good car, it won't be in the top teams in the results. Kite, Herb have always been with small teams, so it's normal they are in the bottom of the standings.

One thing I will always remember, for example, the qualifying for the Homestead race 2006. Dana qualified 9th on a 20 cars-field. Do you think he was slow? I don't think so. But he never got the chance to prove that he could have been fast all the season.

Another example, in 2001 TK drove for MoNunn in 2002 in CART. He finished only 12th in the final standings. Why?? cause he was in a small team with a small budget. One year after, he drove for Andretti Green Racing, a very big and rich team. He finished 4th in the championship only 31 pts behind the champion Dixon...

You know a driver can always have a chance to run on the top...you just have to let him a chance...
OW4ever you put forward some good points. I can see where you are coming from. But if there was no split the likes of Kite, Herb, Duno, Dana who I don't rate one bit wouldn't be racing in this series.

But in a small team with little knowlege of that series and yourself a driver with limited experience in that series you maybe a good driver but you don't do well because if the above. Alex Figge in CC this year with PCM is a prime example of the above. But certainly Duno and a few other slow back markers in the IRL shouldn't be taking part full stop as they show me nothing in my opinion.

I do believe though that the best drivers get into the best teams. If teams see potential in someone they will find a good race seat. Manning is an example that in poor equipment and in AJ'S half-hearted operation he can't do much on the ovals.
Old 9 Aug 2007, 21:41 (Ref:1985166)   #168
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Manning is not in poor equipment. Nor is Foyt's operation half-hearted any longer. The appropriate staff were hired and yes, they are not a podium team yet but they have had some succes and have run well. At times, other people's problems have caught them out, but to say he is in "poor equipment" is a gross overstatement. They are running way ahead of where anyone expected at the start of the season.
Old 9 Aug 2007, 21:50 (Ref:1985175)   #169
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Manning is not in poor equipment. Nor is Foyt's operation half-hearted any longer. The appropriate staff were hired and yes, they are not a podium team yet but they have had some succes and have run well. At times, other people's problems have caught them out, but to say he is in "poor equipment" is a gross overstatement. They are running way ahead of where anyone expected at the start of the season.
No it is poor equipment that holds him at a disadvantage. The IRL studio guys on SS said that this what gives him a disadvantage on the ovals. And since he hired his grand son and he crashed out or did very poor he just hasn't had that passion to spend money on his team and put out an operation capable of winning since Sharp did or Brack won for him whoever drove fro him in '90s. Now Manning has showed promise on the road course where he isn't at disadvantage running up front AJ has found passion again and is starting to put a better operation in place. But Manning will always be at a disadvantage and held back at AJ Foyt Racing because of the situation. To win in the IRL you have to be in an AGR, Penske or Ganassi car who do wind tunnel testing and by far have the biggest budgets. Something AJ doesn't have with his 1 car team. That's what Paul Cherry roughly said and he is an expert and in the know and also the journalist who covers US racing for a topline magazine.

Last edited by luke; 9 Aug 2007 at 21:55.
Old 10 Aug 2007, 09:46 (Ref:1985387)   #170
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Well, goody for Paul Cherry. Can we get a link to that?

Point is, again, Manning/Foyt get dissed. Then we get a sort of backhanded-compliment to recognize the positive results this team has achieved wrapped in a litany of everything that Foyt Sr has done wrong, as per Paul Cherry.

You could go back and look, but suffice it to say I have noted AJ is a much better driver than Team Owner. Recently though it seems he is loosening his grip (I THINK that Larry has a more active role running things) and the operation is slowly modernizing. This has resulted in the team grabbing some good results with the general trend being that they are finishing well even if they do not qualify well - even on the ovals.

As Openwheel points out, the small teams have a tough time and that is true in any series.
Old 10 Aug 2007, 20:17 (Ref:1985758)   #171
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Milka Duno to film a Warner Bros live-action film "Speed Racer". From the creators of "The Matrix" trilogy. From what the story goes she will play the role of "Gearbox" in the film (draw your own conclusions on that one).

http://www.indycar.com/news/story.php?story_id=9676
Old 11 Aug 2007, 00:21 (Ref:1985869)   #172
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Well, I hope I live to see this one at the local theater!

Roddy McDowell would have been perfect to play Chim-Chim.
Old 11 Aug 2007, 10:15 (Ref:1985975)   #173
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Well, goody for Paul Cherry. Can we get a link to that?
Oh come on how am I supposed to get a link? I told you it was on the IRL build up show on SS. Fine don't believe me then.

Quote:
Point is, again, Manning/Foyt get dissed. Then we get a sort of backhanded-compliment to recognize the positive results this team has achieved wrapped in a litany of everything that Foyt Sr has done wrong, as per Paul Cherry.
Positive? The only positives were what Manning achieved on the non ovals.

Quote:
You could go back and look, but suffice it to say I have noted AJ is a much better driver than Team Owner. Recently though it seems he is loosening his grip (I THINK that Larry has a more active role running things) and the operation is slowly modernizing. This has resulted in the team grabbing some good results with the general trend being that they are finishing well even if they do not qualify well - even on the ovals.
I think AJ enterprises can be come a team in the future, but to win they have to have the a big budget like AGR, Penske and Ganassi. This is the same problem for Panther etc. We have seen drivers like Sharp and Rice put in good results. It would be nice to see Rahal and D&R more competitive next year as their drivers have come of age again.

Quote:
As Openwheel points out, the small teams have a tough time and that is true in any series.
And? That's already been said.
Old 11 Aug 2007, 11:41 (Ref:1986002)   #174
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Then overall, this (Foyt) is a one car team that is moving forward. while they have had their downs they have had good moments on the road courses and a 5th place at Iowa. Considering it all Manning, along with his team, have not done badly.

Since this is/was a thread about Duno, can anyone shed some light on whether we are going to see her again this season? When is the test at Chicagoland supposed to take place?
Old 11 Aug 2007, 11:55 (Ref:1986009)   #175
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
maybe on the big screen