Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 17 Mar 2003, 22:50 (Ref:539583)   #151
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Michael Schumacher to drive for Penske in 2004?
Old 18 Mar 2003, 05:39 (Ref:539797)   #152
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

¡As-de-mim! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
Michael Schumacher to drive for Penske in 2004?
Penske was seen at Ferrari headquarters last week. Will field Mercedes Benz in NASCAR this season only, and then will have F 360s next season.

Last edited by ¡As-de-mim!; 18 Mar 2003 at 05:47.
Old 18 Mar 2003, 10:53 (Ref:539964)   #153
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Its no more ludicrous than anything else in this thread
Old 18 Mar 2003, 16:32 (Ref:540268)   #154
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

It is much more so
Old 18 Mar 2003, 16:39 (Ref:540277)   #155
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

• California Speedway officials are looking for government help in paying the $6 million needed to install lights for a proposed prime-time Winston Cup race in the fall of 2004.
Old 18 Mar 2003, 21:56 (Ref:540596)   #156
True Believer
Racer

True Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A CART thread not full of flaming... now there is a mirage I'd like to see crystallised
Old 19 Mar 2003, 19:22 (Ref:541448)   #157
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
The sponsors are coming!

Perhaps this doesn't belong in a "rumours" thread, but I didnt' want to start up a new one just for this...

Walker Racing has been able to secure three more secondary sponsors for Lavin's Corona entry! Vitro, TV Azteca, and InterProtecction. All are Mexican companies.

http://www.crash.net/news_detail.asp...&language_id=1

Something in the article that kinda took me by surprise was the large percentage of Hispanic fans that follow CART. (1 of every 8)!
Old 19 Mar 2003, 19:43 (Ref:541465)   #158
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
But this one does belong in the "rumours" thread...

Robin Miller:
"I asked Max (Papis) in Florida if there was much hope and he didn't sound real optimistic."

"I believe Pook has serious interest for Porsche and/or Audi so far and maybe a couple Bernie Ecclestone has steered his way."
Old 20 Mar 2003, 02:46 (Ref:541791)   #159
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Porsche? Audi? I'm speachless. Really? That'd be pretty sweet. It's about time Porsche took a look at open-wheel racing. And we all know how good they and Audi are at making race cars... But this probably means gasoline NA V-10s. *sigh* Gasoline, fine. V-10, if we must. NA..... I want my turbos!
Old 20 Mar 2003, 04:41 (Ref:541823)   #160
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If this Porsche effort does ever materialise lets hope it's a much better effort than their last CART effort.
Old 20 Mar 2003, 17:18 (Ref:542254)   #161
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't Porsche win a race and build their own chassis? That was quite good. Worse was Alfa, with the 3 year old Ferrari Indy engine...
Old 20 Mar 2003, 18:18 (Ref:542309)   #162
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Here's a tidbit that has just surfaced...

Reports coming out of Mexico are saying that Roberto Gonzalez has not shown up for several interviews and media relations. Speculation that Gonzalez does not have the money, and Alex Yoong will race in his place, has come to the forefront.
Old 20 Mar 2003, 22:48 (Ref:542565)   #163
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can't see Alex doing to well in another backmarking team. If he is to have any chance at all, he needs to be in a third Forsythe car or something.
Old 21 Mar 2003, 00:41 (Ref:542643)   #164
05forever
Racer

05forever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree mac but a drive is a drive. If he shows up at Coyne then he has no pressure, the car was **** at florida, he has never done a lap in a CART car and he hasn;t driven to my knowledge since the Japan Gp last year.

He can slip in, drive the thing and get better over the course of the weekend. If he ends up at forsythe he still is better prepared than showing up without having driven. If he races with forsyth this weekend everyone will be expecting results that I dont think he can deliver with no experience.
Old 21 Mar 2003, 02:55 (Ref:542704)   #165
True Believer
Racer

True Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am inclined to agree with 05forever.

I dont think these are the best circumstances to be in, with driving a new category in an unfamiliar car, on an unfamilar circuit, but if driving is your passion .. you go where you can to fulfil this lifegoal

On the alexyoong.com website, Alex Yoong confirms he is headed to Mexico to race, but is waiting for the team to announce his place.

The cart.com site seems an eon behind... again

Last edited by True Believer; 21 Mar 2003 at 02:56.
Old 21 Mar 2003, 09:44 (Ref:542898)   #166
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
CrashNet has just released an article stating that Yoong is a definite for the Mexico round.

http://www.crash.net/news_detail.asp...&language_id=1

They claim that a press conference will be held later today, so by the time many of you read this there will be more info available anyway...

No word on teams. They're speculating he'll either replace Gonzales at Coyne, or constitute a third car at Forsythe. Of course, this is all speculation that we've heard before.

Yoong's press office is confirming that he left for a seat fitting on Tuesday.
Old 21 Mar 2003, 10:38 (Ref:542963)   #167
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This might be the most exciting news in the world of open-wheel racing since Pacific Team Lotus announced that Jean-Denis Deletrash would replace Giovanni Lavaggi for the 1995 Portugese GP.

Warm up the autoclaves!
Old 21 Mar 2003, 10:42 (Ref:542970)   #168
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Be pessimistic is you so choose.
Me? I'm looking forward to twenty cars!
Old 21 Mar 2003, 10:49 (Ref:542981)   #169
corkholio
Veteran

It won't be twenty. No way Coyne has the infrastructure to support a 3rd car, and even if he does have 3 cars he doesn't really have a real racer for any of them at this point. Yoong is in only because Gonzalez has defaulted on his payment. Again.

As long as there are 18 cars there is no need for a couple of extra w@nkers out there for no other reason than to make up the numbers and be a hazard to the real pros out there.
Old 21 Mar 2003, 11:10 (Ref:543007)   #170
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
By "twenty cars" I was referring to the long-anticipated third Forsythe entry. And is there a need for a couple of extra w@nkers out there? How long ago was it that we were facing six starters? I'd say there's a great need. Every w@nker needs a car. And a team. And from here-on-in, a sponsor. So what if maybe next year they ain't got a ride? At least CART will have another car, and everything that comes with it.

I stand by my comment "Be pessimistic is you so choose," (although I'd change the "is"" to "if"" as was originally intended).

Next year?
25 cars at R1. Including JV and Irvine.
Signed-Sealed-and-Delivered engine manufacturers.
And a TV package.

This year?
Stars in the making.
No TC.
Great racing.
Old 21 Mar 2003, 11:28 (Ref:543027)   #171
corkholio
Veteran

The 3rd Forsythe car won't happen. Espeically since Yoong already had a seat fitting at Coyne. 18 + 2 w@nkers is by far worse than just 18 alone. The extra 2 w@nkers doesn't enhance the racing and even worse they can cause an accident or decide the race with their inability to race. CART only needs 18 for contractual reasons, at this point the second Coyne entry has ended up being sold to two drivers with a not so sterling record in actually making their payments. Not good for a series like CART that is trying to rebuild its credibility in the American public.

Last edited by corkholio; 21 Mar 2003 at 11:29.
Old 11 Apr 2003, 01:34 (Ref:565757)   #172
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

No regular drivers on this year's CART circuit are entered for Indianapolis.

http://www.indystar.com/print/articl...-6112-094.html
Old 11 Apr 2003, 03:31 (Ref:565801)   #173
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting. Not much of a bubble day. Now everyone is taking care of business at home. I think this is a good thing.
Old 11 Apr 2003, 05:37 (Ref:565838)   #174
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario

I think I'm gonna email Rahal and Fernandez to congratulate them and tell them that they did the right thing. No CART drivers means that I don't have to spend the day watching the race! I can cut the grass instead!
Old 12 Apr 2003, 15:32 (Ref:567291)   #175
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Some more rumours from Champweb...

Champweb's spies have spotted Greg Penske at Long Beach. At the time, Penske was talking with Pook and Mario Andretti about Fontana. Rumor has it that Mario wants CART to race at both Fontana and Michigan again, but we shall see. Just a rumor...

Word in the Long Beach paddock is that Honda is really putting serious pressure on Bobby Rahal to go to the IRL full-time in 2004. Along with that, we could very well see Danica Patrick go along with them. Rahal is expecting Champ Car to pay for Danica if she is to stay in Champ Car. This one is getting interesting. Some insiders are already accusing Rahal of pulling a "Ganassi"...

A rumor has leaked out of the paddock area, and we do not know what to make of it just yet... The rumor has Champ Car racing on Saturday with Formula 1 at Indy next year, and Formula 1 racing on Sunday. This would go until 2005, where-by Champ Car and F1 would do a double-header in Las Vegas.