Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Feb 2022, 07:48 (Ref:4097896)   #151
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I'm really liking the look of some of the liveries that have been shown on the TCR Facebook page, 4 so far look like they will stand out and look good on TV.
As long as they stop talking about significant manufacturer involvement that patently doesnt exist...
Old 9 Feb 2022, 10:16 (Ref:4097916)   #152
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Most of the cars on the grid represent models that are now no longer sold new in Australia.

Starting to look like a used car lot...
Old 9 Feb 2022, 11:32 (Ref:4097924)   #153
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Most of the cars on the grid represent models that are now no longer sold new in Australia.

That's true but at least they are cars that are actually interesting like the Megane, Giulietta etc.

There has been a serious lack of French and Italian cars in the actual Australian Touring Car Championship for quite some time.

As you suggest, most of these final generation C-segment ICE models will be dropped and replaced with either the final generation of ICE compact SUVs (e.g., Giulietta is being replaced with the SUV Tonale) or the first generation of battery EV compact SUVs (e.g., Golf Mk8 will be the last one, and US buyers going forward will choose from a range of VW id.4 compact EV SUV models instead -- EU buyers can still buy the more car-like id.3 for now though).

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 9 Feb 2022 at 11:45.
Old 9 Feb 2022, 20:56 (Ref:4097998)   #154
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Matt White Co hosting with Chris Stubbs.

I.... Can't wait

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Old 9 Feb 2022, 22:44 (Ref:4098006)   #155
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not that I necessarily believe them but if all the rumoured numbers for the Stan deal are correct they would have to pick up around 20,000 new subscribers from TCR to break even.No wonder Foxtel said the numbers didn’t add up.
Old 10 Feb 2022, 02:22 (Ref:4098024)   #156
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Not that I necessarily believe them but if all the rumoured numbers for the Stan deal are correct they would have to pick up around 20,000 new subscribers from TCR to break even.No wonder Foxtel said the numbers didn’t add up.
Not just TCR, s5000, TCM, Bathurst 6 hour etc too.

With no commitment how do you count 20k subs. You can't assume a full year.

I notice a number of competitors posting stuff about sponsor unrest.

Old 10 Feb 2022, 02:46 (Ref:4098025)   #157
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Not just TCR, s5000, TCM, Bathurst 6 hour etc too.

With no commitment how do you count 20k subs. You can't assume a full year.

I know it’s the other classes as well.Just used TCR for convenience and also without that class ARG never would have happened in the first place.
I just can’t imagine that there are 25,000 people in Australia who would be persuaded to pay $240/year by the presence of ARG on Stan.
There was a very interesting talk at an advertising conference last year by the head of Foxtel Patrick Delaney who used to run Fox Sports.He took over when Fox Sports had moved from highly profitable to huge loss making and moved it back to profitable again.One point he made was that there were only a handful of sports events that actually drove significant numbers of subscriptions and that he had to be “ruthless” about cutting others rather than continue paying to screen them.That philosophy lead to the axing of Rugby Union and A League and would have played a role in the categories of motor racing which are on Stan.Compare that to F1 where the new Foxtel contract is for $40million/year which is multiples of what they paid in the last rights cycle or Moto GP where they bought both pay and free to air rights and aren’t on selling the fta rights.
Free advice to Stan.The sports package will struggle until you sell it separate to normal Stan.That’s what was happening at Foxtel until they launched Kayo and Binge so people could get what they want without having to pay for a lot of stuff that was redundant to them.
Old 10 Feb 2022, 07:35 (Ref:4098034)   #158
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Lets see how this weekend goes at symmonds

https://racetasmania.com.au/calendar/track-schedule-2/

hqs
excels
s5000
trans am
tcr
Old 10 Feb 2022, 08:21 (Ref:4098036)   #159
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post

Sadly, the top category in the country suffers from similar ills......although some hope is on the horizon.
Old 10 Feb 2022, 08:23 (Ref:4098037)   #160
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
N

Any teams in particular?
Old 10 Feb 2022, 08:24 (Ref:4098038)   #161
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Any teams in particular?
Couple of prominent 6hr teams including the team that will probably produce the top half of the top 10 this year

Old 11 Feb 2022, 10:46 (Ref:4098223)   #162
Mixer
Veteran

Kody Gardland may be looking for a re-shell for a Renault after not even a complete session:

https://tcraustralia.com/2022/02/11/...ptIJN7TUknyLLc

Very young drivers and road car shells not easily repaired compared to bespoke racing cars isn't a great combination.
Old 11 Feb 2022, 14:34 (Ref:4098267)   #163
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Very young drivers and road car shells not easily repaired compared to bespoke racing cars isn't a great combination.
Gee, it's almost like they are touring cars, road cars made into racing cars.

The Formula Ford, Formula 1000, Formula 3, S5000, LMP4, Radicals etc classes are obviously still there to race proper racing cars to different extents.

It seems that (classic 2000cc) Formula 3 still has a 6-round series on AMRS, where you can race traditional multi-make F3 cars, even if one-make F3 & F4 series have taken overin many other places. So Formula Ford > Formula 3 is the classic progression, but if the young driver doesn't have F1 ambitions can you blame them for choosing to go Formula Ford > Toyota 86 Series > TCR instead (or even Circuit Excel > Toyota 86 > TCR) - even if the latter two or three involve "road car shells which do not mix with very young drivers"?

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 11 Feb 2022 at 14:41.
Old 12 Feb 2022, 00:28 (Ref:4098322)   #164
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Free to air for Symmons Plains doesn’t mean much.Comparing the meeting schedule with the 9 telecast schedule their coverage on Sunday ends before the feature races for TCR,S5000 and TransAm.So 9 can switch to a replay of Getaway followed by a 1959 black and white movie.
Which 1959 b/w movie?
Im a fan of those I might watch that instead!
Old 12 Feb 2022, 01:36 (Ref:4098327)   #165
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
Which 1959 b/w movie?
Im a fan of those I might watch that instead!
'Some Like It Hot...' Good movie...
Thoughts immediately go to Robert Palmer and PowerStation however..

And that is after putting up with Mrs Bucket in 'Keeping Up Appearances' for an hour... Poor old Richard...

Have we figured out if you can get the Sports channel on Stan without unloading yet another $10/mth? The app seems to suggest that is the path that needs taking...
Old 12 Feb 2022, 02:34 (Ref:4098345)   #166
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So for all the hoo hah about S5000 why do we still only have 9 cars in the field ?
Old 12 Feb 2022, 03:27 (Ref:4098350)   #167
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
'Some Like It Hot...' Good movie...
Thoughts immediately go to Robert Palmer and PowerStation however..

And that is after putting up with Mrs Bucket in 'Keeping Up Appearances' for an hour... Poor old Richard...

Have we figured out if you can get the Sports channel on Stan without unloading yet another $10/mth? The app seems to suggest that is the path that needs taking...
Sharing your sentiments on all of the above.

Seems that the $10/m Sport subscription requires a $20/m premium subscription to go with.
Old 12 Feb 2022, 07:29 (Ref:4098360)   #168
Mixer
Veteran

Haven't watched yet but those watching are saying the FTA coverage seems like one very long ad for Stan.

Old 12 Feb 2022, 08:25 (Ref:4098366)   #169
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Quote:
Haven't watched yet but those watching are saying the FTA coverage seems like one very long ad for Stan.

I have no intention of watching any of it because it’s a like picking up a book to read knowing someone has ripped out the last 3 chapters.
Tomorrow is their big bait day to get people to do the Stan sign up.
Old 12 Feb 2022, 08:55 (Ref:4098367)   #170
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
I enjoyed those couple of races today, even if the Trans Am race finished under safety car.

I signed up for Stan Sport. $10 a month towards my favourite hobby doesn't seem too steep. $10 won't even buy you a month of Auto Fiction.

Meanwhile many on Ten-Tenths and other social media platforms were seen this afternoon shaking their fist at a cloud.
Old 12 Feb 2022, 09:03 (Ref:4098369)   #171
Umai Naa
Veteran

Watched it on 9Gem, as I couldn't see myself buying the $20 Stan subscripiton with the $10 sports package on top of that.

Will look into a VPN and motorsport.com stream in future.

Coverage wasn't too bad. Could absolutely do without Matt White. Racing was pretty good mid-pack for TCR.
Old 12 Feb 2022, 09:06 (Ref:4098371)   #172
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
I signed up for Stan Sport. $10 a month towards my favourite hobby doesn't seem too steep. $10 won't even buy you a month of Auto Fiction..
Argument doesn't hold water when it's not $10 per month, it's $30 if you don't already have Stan. $10 a month might work, but as it stands they will stunt their audience and the competitors will suffer.

Stan Sport has less than 150k members. If they tell us about membership numbers thus year, the acquisition will have worked for Stan, but will it do anything for competitors who need exposure?

Old 12 Feb 2022, 09:29 (Ref:4098373)   #173
Umai Naa
Veteran

They're expecting competitors to do their own marketing, instead of relying on scattered seconds of TV time.
Old 12 Feb 2022, 10:01 (Ref:4098375)   #174
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
Quote:
Argument doesn't hold water when it's not $10 per month, it's $30 if you don't already have Stan. $10 a month might work, but as it stands they will stunt their audience and the competitors will suffer.

Stan Sport has less than 150k members. If they tell us about membership numbers thus year, the acquisition will have worked for Stan, but will it do anything for competitors who need exposure?

It is not an argument that a subscription service represents value for money for all viewers or is in the best interests of the competitors.

Merely, that I am happy pay that amount of money to watch some motorsport.
Old 12 Feb 2022, 14:44 (Ref:4098394)   #175
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seriously, how can anyone complain about paying for Stan if you are happy to pay for Foxtel?

If you supported the V8s going to Foxtel, you have no leg to stand on complaining about ARG going to Stan.

Ps…. You can get the minimum package with Stan sports on top, so $20 a month not $30