Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Apr 2013, 02:22 (Ref:3231271)   #151
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
There's a huge amount of drama that could be mined from the birth of the sport onwards. A huge amount of pre-Great war stuff, pre-WW2, from the 50's and so on. Joe Saward has his books on some of the prewar racers in the French resistance for example. Alot of stuff that may have slipped from the mind's of fans themselves could make good cinema.

So folks, there you go, time to get cracking on those screen plays.
Tons of great stories and I think the technology these days can help make a lot of it happen.

When they made Grand Prix it was an expensive, time consuming exercise that was pushing the bounds of technology. Le Mans was the same. In retrospect we were lucky both of those films ended up being made. I think today's tech would make a lot of this much easier and more exciting for the viewer.

I believe the success of this film will determine where it goes from here. If it's a dud, that might be the last serious motor racing film you see for a while.
Old 9 Apr 2013, 03:32 (Ref:3231282)   #152
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHWS View Post
Chilli, don't you think the story of Gilles Villeneuve could make a a good movie? Maybe it should be a documentary like Senna. I think Villeneuve's story is a compelling one and I would love to see a good film maker do something with it.
It would make a great movie and one that was supposed to be made several years ago but I'm not sure what happened.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns14306.html

I also recal reading something like it would have been told through flashbacks during the Jerez 97 weekend but can't find anything about that now.
Old 9 Apr 2013, 07:00 (Ref:3231313)   #153
Darcia1
Rookie

Australia
melbourne Australia
Darcia1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Joe Sawards book Grand Prix Sabetours will be made into a movie as the rights have been optioned to a movie house.... though as he has said the book is pretty grim as all the major players were murdered by the Nazis and hollywoode like great endings.......
Old 9 Apr 2013, 14:17 (Ref:3231516)   #154
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcia1 View Post
Joe Sawards book Grand Prix Sabetours will be made into a movie as the rights have been optioned to a movie house.... though as he has said the book is pretty grim as all the major players were murdered by the Nazis and hollywoode like great endings.......
Most rights that get optioned don't ever get used, as it takes a lot of work to turn a book into a workable screenplay. I wouldn't count on it being made, yet.

Same with the Villeneuve film. That had traction at different times, with various people/studios being attached to it and it still has not gotten off the ground despite bouncing around for over 10 years.

Just like the producers of the Senna film found, piecing everything together even into a documentary, much less a feature film, is hard enough.
Old 9 Apr 2013, 15:35 (Ref:3231550)   #155
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe if Rush is a BO succes similar films might get made

the genre lost nearly a whole decade thank to Sylvester Stallone's "Driven" ...
Old 9 Apr 2013, 19:53 (Ref:3231668)   #156
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Tons of great stories and I think the technology these days can help make a lot of it happen.

When they made Grand Prix it was an expensive, time consuming exercise that was pushing the bounds of technology. Le Mans was the same. In retrospect we were lucky both of those films ended up being made. I think today's tech would make a lot of this much easier and more exciting for the viewer.

I believe the success of this film will determine where it goes from here. If it's a dud, that might be the last serious motor racing film you see for a while.
I pretty much agree. I think that Rush is going to be a great experiment regarding kick starting future motor sports related movies. Grand Prix and Le Mans are from a different era in movie making. And as absolutely brilliant as it is, have you ever sat down and watched Le Mans with a non-racing fan? It just doesn't work for the masses and it never will. Niche movies are a no-go these days.

So, as excited as I am about this movie (and I have faith in Ron Howard), if it doesn't have broad appeal and doesn't make any money, expect another decade or so before someone attempts another motorsports movie. And even if it is a success (cross fingers), I expect there is also plenty of "racing action" to mine that is outside of F1. So I wouldn't be surprised to have to wait awhile for another F1 movie even if this one is hugely successful.

Richard
Old 9 Apr 2013, 21:06 (Ref:3231712)   #157
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would say it's a great movie, at least the story is promising and the scenes confirm that, so let's watch the whole movies so we can tell.
Old 9 Apr 2013, 23:52 (Ref:3231768)   #158
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
I would say it's a great movie, at least the story is promising and the scenes confirm that, so let's watch the whole movies so we can tell.
Yes I think it is going to be great.....

Ron Howard is a great film director, I am sure he has done his homework..
Old 10 Apr 2013, 00:26 (Ref:3231781)   #159
S14
Racer

Ireland
Rocky Mountain Region, United States
S14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Yes I think it is going to be great.....

Ron Howard is a great film director, I am sure he has done his homework..
On top of that, I think his historical dramas (Apollo 13, Frost/Nixon) have been his strongest. Hopefully this one is another in that mould.
Old 10 Apr 2013, 00:29 (Ref:3231784)   #160
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I hope so !
Old 10 Apr 2013, 00:45 (Ref:3231787)   #161
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14 View Post
On top of that, I think his historical dramas (Apollo 13, Frost/Nixon) have been his strongest. Hopefully this one is another in that mould.
Frost/Nixon was based on Peter Morgan's play of the same name and he also wrote the screen play. So credit to Ron Howard for getting it straight from the original source. Hopefully it's this meticulous approach he'll apply to Rush.
Old 10 Apr 2013, 02:05 (Ref:3231793)   #162
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Rush's story is based on what anyways ?
Old 10 Apr 2013, 02:09 (Ref:3231794)   #163
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The publicists for Rush are doing their job:

Can Ron Howard’s ‘Rush’ Rise Above Other Racing Films? (Video)
April 9, 2013, 6:00 PM
By Jonathan Welsh
The Wall Street Journal wsj.com

Car fans have more to look forward to than the sixth installment in the “Fast and Furious” franchise. Later this year, Oscar-winning director Ron Howard will serve up “Rush,” his entry in the difficult and often disappointing genre of auto racing films.

For such an exciting sport, car racing rarely translates well to the big screen, at least not in the style of serious cinema. There have been many critical turkeys, like Sylvester Stallone’s “Driven” of 2001 and Tom Cruise’s “Days of Thunder or 1990 (though I always kind of liked the latter)...

First trailer out for Formula 1 film Rush
Ron Howard's action-biopic tells of rivalry and debauchery between Hunt and Lauda
Ben Child
guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 9 April 2013 08.49 EDT

The first trailer for Oscar-winning director Ron Howard's tale of rivalry and debauchery on the 1970s Formula One racing circuit, Rush, has hit the internet.

The action-biopic stars Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Brühl as racing rivals and real-life friends James Hunt and Niki Lauda, following the pair as they battle it out for the 1976 championship...

Hunt and Lauda once shared a one-bedroom flat in London but could not have been more different personalities. The wild-living Englishman, who reputedly slept with more than 500 women during his lifetime, routinely took drugs and had sex just minutes before taking to the racetrack. The meticulous Austrian, meanwhile, was known for his intense behind-the-scenes work testing and refining cars to perfection.

Rush is due to hit cinemas in the UK on 13 September, while US audiences will get to see it one week later.

First taste of 'Rush,' Chris Hemsworth is winning combo
Nate Ryan, USA TODAY Sports 4:53p.m. EDT April 8, 2013

The history of racing being celebrated on celluloid is littered with the sort of spectacularly terrifying car wrecks usually reserved for Talladega Superspeedway.

Sylvester Stallone's Driven in 2001 was a festival of wooden dialogue and

laughably absurd racing scenes ("We'll get back to driving in a minute … but right now, let's rescue our friend from the burning hulk of metal that's landed in the retaining pond inexplicably located adjacent to the race course!")...

Even Days of Thunder, for all its quotable campiness, is revered mostly because it's so easily lampooned.

But there is hope for a rebirth. It started in 2011 with the critically acclaimed documentary Senna...

-----------------------
They forgot to mention one more thing...Olivia Wilde co-stars.

Old 10 Apr 2013, 10:03 (Ref:3231905)   #164
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
lol, they shouldn't be mentioning Driven at all.

That should be like swearing. Term verboten I would've thought.

Publicists.
Old 10 Apr 2013, 11:39 (Ref:3231938)   #165
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Damn, that trailer just gave me a stiffy. That looks frickin awesome.
Old 10 Apr 2013, 13:45 (Ref:3231993)   #166
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Who's that girl ?
Old 10 Apr 2013, 14:04 (Ref:3232002)   #167
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Who's that girl ?
That's Olivia Wilde, as Hunt's first wife, model Suzy Miller.

Some of the wedding scenes were filmed at St John's in Smith Square, and I watched some of the filming, I used to work in central London (my office was actually in Smith Square!)
Old 10 Apr 2013, 14:21 (Ref:3232016)   #168
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

That had to be, she's blonde, that's why I was in doubt... I love Olivia Wilde.
Old 11 Apr 2013, 01:52 (Ref:3232263)   #169
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
That had to be, she's blonde, that's why I was in doubt... I love Olivia Wilde.
She looks even better with her natural hair color.

Olivia Wilde
Actress
Olivia Jane Cockburn, known professionally as Olivia Wilde, is an Irish-American actress.
She has appeared in a number of television and film productions such as The O.C.,
The Black Donnellys, House, Tron: Legacy, Cowboys & Aliens, and In Time. Wikipedia
Born: March 10, 1984 (age 29), New York City
Height: 5' 7" (1.71 m)
Spouse: Tao Ruspoli (m. 2003–2011)
Siblings: Chloe Frances Cockburn, Charlie Cockburn
Nationality: American, Irish
Old 11 Apr 2013, 02:27 (Ref:3232268)   #170
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
An article in a Hollywood trade paper from a couple months ago raises an interesting question about Rush: will women enjoy the movie too?

Obviously female petrolheads will probably enjoy it as will male petrolheads...assuming they don't nitpick it to death for small historical inaccuracies. A lot of non-petrolhead males might enjoy it even if they are not particularly into racing.

But will the average woman enjoy it? I think it depends on whether the relationship story lines (esp. between Hunt and his girlfriend) play an important role in the film and whether they are as well done as the racing sequences and play an important part of the story.

Berlin 2013: Ron Howard Screens Nearly-Completed Formula One Film 'Rush'
9:36 AM PST 2/11/2013 by Pamela McClintock
hollywood reporter.com
The movie stars Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Bruhl as legendary race car drivers James Hunt and Niki Lauda.

BERLIN -- Director Ron Howard was in Berlin on Sunday to screen a near-finished cut of his Formula One movie Rush for foreign distributors who have invested in the movie.

Howard shot most of the film in Germany and has been traveling to Berlin for post-production work. Universal is distributing Rush in the U.S., where it opens in theaters Sept. 20. Exclusive Media and Cross Creek Pictures are co-financing and producing the film in association with Imagine Entertainment, Working Title Films and Revolution.

“We have a special relationship with Berlin and are very happy to share this special film with you,” Howard said during the presentation, which was organized by Exclusive and Cross Creek...

“This movie will be a big hit. Interestingly, women really enjoyed it too,” said one prominent producer who was invited to the screening.
Old 11 Apr 2013, 02:33 (Ref:3232270)   #171
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSheds View Post

Some of the wedding scenes were filmed at St John's in Smith Square, and I watched some of the filming, I used to work in central London (my office was actually in Smith Square!)
Anyone know what happened to Suzy Miller? I always wondered as she seemed to disappear from the history books after marrying Burton.
Old 11 Apr 2013, 03:37 (Ref:3232287)   #172
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Interesting question Mountainstar.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...sses-race.html

Both Suzy's marriages would have seemed to be scarring to any poor woman.
Old 11 Apr 2013, 13:29 (Ref:3232504)   #173
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
There's a recent BBC Radio 4 mini documentary about the Hunt-Lauda rivalry and the 1976 season.

Click here to listen.

The description doesn't mention Rush, but I would imagine that's what prompted the BBC to take a look back at that year.

The presenter is the lovely Vicki Butler-Henderson.

Old 11 Apr 2013, 14:00 (Ref:3232510)   #174
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Anyone know what happened to Suzy Miller? I always wondered as she seemed to disappear from the history books after marrying Burton.
Google is not helping me find her. Last mention I can find is her divorce from Burton in 1982. She would be in her mid 60's today.

Richard
Old 11 Apr 2013, 14:13 (Ref:3232512)   #175
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSheds View Post

James Hunt and Suzy Miller were actually married at the Brompton Oratory but it's a lot easier to seal off Smith Square for filming than it is to seal of the Brompton Road.

They got divorced in 1976.