Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 18 Jul 2015, 11:09 (Ref:3559309)   #151
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't test, so don't expect decent results. Are they trying to save money? At the moment, the WTCC seems to be their main focus.
If you don't put adequate resources into a motorsport programme, don't expect to win. And don't blame your drivers for having to overdrive a car lacking in performance.
Old 18 Jul 2015, 11:47 (Ref:3559318)   #152
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my opinion the change in restrictor to have more power is much needed! But the WRC's are already wide and "pretty" enough... But thankfully those already relative small engines are now not so restricted!
Old 19 Jul 2015, 21:42 (Ref:3559595)   #153
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know what Lorenzo Bertelli's 'fnckmatie' branding is all about?
Old 19 Jul 2015, 23:38 (Ref:3559623)   #154
cg7aa
Veteran

It was interesting hearing Kubica imply his physical limitations has been a contributory factor to some of the incidents he's had. He said he didn't think he was trying any harder than anybody else but that because of the limitations he has, the risk of losing control was higher especially when driving over ruts which dictates where the car goes to a large degree. I wonder if he hasn't always got the movement or flexibility or even quickness of movement to recover from a wayward trajectory.

Perhaps some of us were a little harsh on his numerous crashes in the early days, maybe too much was expected.
Old 20 Jul 2015, 17:17 (Ref:3559820)   #155
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
It was interesting hearing Kubica imply his physical limitations has been a contributory factor to some of the incidents he's had. He said he didn't think he was trying any harder than anybody else but that because of the limitations he has, the risk of losing control was higher especially when driving over ruts which dictates where the car goes to a large degree. I wonder if he hasn't always got the movement or flexibility or even quickness of movement to recover from a wayward trajectory.

Perhaps some of us were a little harsh on his numerous crashes in the early days, maybe too much was expected.
Absolutely! He mentioned at stage end during Poland after he had a small spin that he could have potentially saved the slide without turning around if he had more movement in his arm.

I recommended watching this video, not for the crash, but keep an eye on his right arm from 1:15 on https://youtu.be/aozohKhh1-k

He's basically driving one handed and does well to mask how little movement he has.
Old 20 Jul 2015, 17:37 (Ref:3559826)   #156
thlbtcc
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Langheck View Post
Don't test, so don't expect decent results. Are they trying to save money? At the moment, the WTCC seems to be their main focus.
If you don't put adequate resources into a motorsport programme, don't expect to win. And don't blame your drivers for having to overdrive a car lacking in performance.
It's a tad crazy. But others testsed before Poland and Citroen did in 2014. I wonder why the call was made and I wonder why Matron has been critical in public.

If he wanted someone to finish every rally, he already has that in Ostberg. It sounds like they don't want to challenge for podiums. VW issued a statement backing Latvala after another crash, while Yves likes to air his dirty laundry.
Old 20 Jul 2015, 19:22 (Ref:3559842)   #157
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
It's a tad crazy. But others testsed before Poland and Citroen did in 2014. I wonder why the call was made and I wonder why Matron has been critical in public.

If he wanted someone to finish every rally, he already has that in Ostberg. It sounds like they don't want to challenge for podiums. VW issued a statement backing Latvala after another crash, while Yves likes to air his dirty laundry.
Is this Citroen putting in the groundwork for an exit from the WRC? They've said they're going to pull out of the WRC or WTCC - and all this negativity around the WRC program isn't encouraging is it? Maybe if they bad mouth it enough it'll give them all the excuses they need to walk away. It looks like they are finding reasons to leave rather than looking for reasons to stay.
Old 20 Jul 2015, 22:01 (Ref:3559882)   #158
thlbtcc
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Is this Citroen putting in the groundwork for an exit from the WRC? They've said they're going to pull out of the WRC or WTCC - and all this negativity around the WRC program isn't encouraging is it? Maybe if they bad mouth it enough it'll give them all the excuses they need to walk away. It looks like they are finding reasons to leave rather than looking for reasons to stay.
It saddens me, but I agree. Makes it easier to leave.
Old 29 Jul 2015, 11:43 (Ref:3562137)   #159
Alex Langheck
Racer

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120145

Not sure about this. Yes RallyGB has heritage, but that was as the 'RAC' - a mega 'National' event; which was a true challenge. The current incarnation is just another 'identikit' WRC event. It would be a bit sad, but not a major loss.
Old 31 Jul 2015, 11:27 (Ref:3562785)   #160
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Toyota will start building WRC prototype cars Finland Puuppola confirmed Tommi Mäkinen.
Old 31 Jul 2015, 13:57 (Ref:3562818)   #161
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I thik that the WRC should be held close to large cities in Europe. Llandudno and Deeside are not.
Old 3 Aug 2015, 20:37 (Ref:3563588)   #162
cg7aa
Veteran

Finland is such a fantastic rally. Love it, love it! I can't wait for the onboards and the fan-made 'pure sounds' clips on that video sharing site. Not a bad rally overall either. The driving was spectacular at the top of the leaderboard. Gutted for Meeke - again.
Old 4 Aug 2015, 08:30 (Ref:3563688)   #163
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Finland is such a fantastic rally. Love it, love it! I can't wait for the onboards and the fan-made 'pure sounds' clips on that video sharing site.
Agreed! The official video clips are handy during the event for keeping up to speed, but the pure audio clips from the stages are far more enjoyable to watch.

Quote:
Gutted for Meeke - again.
Yeah. He was the only driver who seemed capable of matching the pace of the Polos, bloody shame he didn't have a better finish to the rally.
Old 4 Aug 2015, 10:23 (Ref:3563698)   #164
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
His off was quite anticlimactic, much the same as Sordo's. Just running a little wide at lower speed, and going off seemingly in slow motion. You have to feel for them.

At least Paddon and Kubica did it properly!

Last edited by mikuni; 4 Aug 2015 at 10:31.
Old 4 Aug 2015, 21:13 (Ref:3563798)   #165
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post

At least Paddon and Kubica did it properly!
They certainly did. Very nasty shunts, it's a relief the cars are so strong and well built these days.
Old 17 Aug 2015, 19:10 (Ref:3566511)   #166
cg7aa
Veteran

Pressure mounts on Meeke?

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/augus...2--12-12-.html
Old 17 Aug 2015, 20:42 (Ref:3566531)   #167
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
But it seems VW aren't putting a good driver down:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120338
Old 31 Aug 2015, 10:48 (Ref:3570211)   #168
Alex Langheck
Racer

Rallye Deutschland has come and gone without any comments. A VW 1-2-3....
I think that's says it all. VW have to mess up for any others to win.

They've even started testing the 2017 'wide body' car....
Old 31 Aug 2015, 19:42 (Ref:3570309)   #169
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Non-VW drivers have collected 9 podiums in 9 races.
Old 31 Aug 2015, 19:53 (Ref:3570317)   #170
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Langheck View Post
Rallye Deutschland has come and gone without any comments. A VW 1-2-3....
I think that's says it all. VW have to mess up for any others to win.
Pretty much! I saw some of the highlights and it was just too easy for the VWs, they looked to have pace to spare whilst the others were on the edge (or over it) just trying to stay with them.
Old 1 Sep 2015, 10:03 (Ref:3570445)   #171
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sadly as a passing itnerest fan, events appeal to me more than cars and drivers.

I watched a lot of footage from Finland on youtube, and will from germany as it is an event where fans get good footgae from.

But the results I care nothing about really. It is just lke it was for years with Loeb.

You just take it for granted he was going to win and for alot of passing fans that means they are not at all interested, and also for the media, there is literally nothing interesting to write about or to engage fans with. Very tricky situation.

I think I have found I tend to watch Monte, Finland, Germany and France. Not at all interested in the Rally Wales, which again is a shame.

I watch Belgian, Irish, german, Italian and French events on youtube more than WRC stuff.
Old 22 Sep 2015, 19:34 (Ref:3576165)   #172
thlbtcc
Veteran

If the result was harder to predict then the sport would be in a much better place I feel. The gaps between M-Sport, DS and Hyundai are really close and the results are all over the shop from 3rd/4th down.

But with a VW winning every rally but one, it feels a little dull.
Old 22 Sep 2015, 22:32 (Ref:3576214)   #173
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You've got that right. One of the problems with the WRC is that some drivers and teams want to completely remove any unpredictability.

Did anyone see the nonsense last week about some drivers complaining they had to drive gravel stages at night? Fortunately Michele Mouton basically told them to stop being so soft. Apparently she reminded them that driving a Group B Quattro on those long stages in the 80s was a bit more difficult than peddling what passes for WRC cars and events today...
Old 23 Sep 2015, 06:12 (Ref:3576248)   #174
thlbtcc
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
You've got that right. One of the problems with the WRC is that some drivers and teams want to completely remove any unpredictability.

Did anyone see the nonsense last week about some drivers complaining they had to drive gravel stages at night? Fortunately Michele Mouton basically told them to stop being so soft. Apparently she reminded them that driving a Group B Quattro on those long stages in the 80s was a bit more difficult than peddling what passes for WRC cars and events today...
I disagree with you there. Night stages are cool but not on dusty gravel rallies. Monte? Sure. Sweden? Sure. Wales. France, Germany etc. All gravy.

Night stages where there is hardly any visibility thanks to dust hanging? Hmmm.

Everyone seems to have forgotten that they stopped doing night stages on dry gravel events in the 90s due to safety concerns when they were raised by Sainz, McRae, Burns et al.

Here's a screen cap from the stage in Spain.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1442988743147.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	46246
Old 23 Sep 2015, 13:48 (Ref:3576363)   #175
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There may be extreme cases where stages have to be stopped because of dust but I don't think this was one of them. How do we account for the fact that some following drivers did a faster time on the controversial stage in the dark than in daylight? If they were a lot slower they might have a case...

For me, rallying is supposed to be a tough sport. Would you stop stages in fog, heavy rain, snow or other forms of poor visibility too? One of the great skills of rallying is the ability to read and adapt to the changing conditions.