Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 4 Jun 2006, 18:27 (Ref:1626996)   #151
neiltbag
Racer

United States
Petaluma, CA
neiltbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny_B
McNish is already doing a 3.35.037

Is Sebastien Loeb going to drive today??? After he won in Greece
GRRRR - DON'T POST SPOILERS!!!

Some of us on here have not watched the rally yet, and don't expect to see the result on a sportscar forum. Jeez!
Old 4 Jun 2006, 18:33 (Ref:1627002)   #152
Benny_B
Rookie

Belgium
Borgloon
Benny_B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
apologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltbag
GRRRR - DON'T POST SPOILERS!!!

Some of us on here have not watched the rally yet, and don't expect to see the result on a sportscar forum. Jeez!
Sorry, next time I won't tell the results in advance, just was wondering if SEB was driving today too
Old 4 Jun 2006, 18:41 (Ref:1627011)   #153
Martin Haven
Veteran

England
Royal Leamington Spa
Martin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion
The top speed number suggest the Audi TDI engine is not producing more power than the other LMP1 engines.
  • Racing for Holland 330 (326)
  • Pescarolo #17 329 (324)
  • Pescarolo #18 325 (323)
  • Audi #8 324 (320)
  • Audi #7 323 (319)
  • Creation 322 (318)
  • Courage #13 322 (316)
  • Zytek 320 (318)
  • Courage #12 311 (307)
(in brackets the 5th fastest top speed to give an idea about the consistency...)

So the rumors of diesel engines having a power advantage does not seem true at the moment; of course they still have their big fuel comsumption advantage.

Hmmmm... diesel engines more powerful than petrol???? not last time anyone looked, in terms of BHP at least - size for size they punch way lower... it's the force with which they punch (torque) which is their big advantage - oh, and fuel economy may have some small part to play as well...

Just for the truly technical: If they were only naturally-aspirated, would anyone even bother with a diesel engine at all??

I did hear talk that the R10 is the only car in the paddock that could theoretically tow its own race transporter home if the prime mover broke down...

with that sort of grunt, presumably it can force a more draggy body down the road pretty fast...

more draggy? do I mean higher downforce?? of course...

Last edited by Martin Haven; 4 Jun 2006 at 18:44.
Old 4 Jun 2006, 18:45 (Ref:1627015)   #154
Martin Haven
Veteran

England
Royal Leamington Spa
Martin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
Dailysportscar

www.dailysportscar.com Requires a subscription to see what has been referred to above.
And well worth the sub it is too, for anyone interested in Sportscars, Touring Cars etc
Old 4 Jun 2006, 18:49 (Ref:1627018)   #155
Martin Haven
Veteran

England
Royal Leamington Spa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
calm down, calm down...........
Here's a question for Makem spotters...

I know that everyone's favourite Sunderland fan missed one year's race with the 'Pox (Chicken, calm down Eve...) but has he actually missed any other Le Mans action since he started on RLM??

Did anyone hear whether Trussers had his slide-rule with him??
Old 4 Jun 2006, 18:57 (Ref:1627023)   #156
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Haven
Hmmmm... diesel engines more powerful than petrol???? not last time anyone looked, in terms of BHP at least - size for size they punch way lower... it's the force with which they punch (torque) which is their big advantage - oh, and fuel economy may have some small part to play as well...

Just for the truly technical: If they were only naturally-aspirated, would anyone even bother with a diesel engine at all??

I did hear talk that the R10 is the only car in the paddock that could theoretically tow its own race transporter home if the prime mover broke down...

with that sort of grunt, presumably it can force a more draggy body down the road pretty fast...

more draggy? do I mean higher downforce?? of course...
But they do have more generous restrictors than the petrol cars.
Old 4 Jun 2006, 19:10 (Ref:1627026)   #157
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ger80
What wil Pesca do in the race? One car on 3:33 ... 3:35 and the other a bit slower? Are they able to make a lap more in a stint if they drive a bit slower? Maybe we need a safety car every 12 laps to have Pesca and Audi in one lap all the race
I'd say more like 3.35-3.40 during the race.

If they have problems and need to play catch up, as last year, I suppose they could dip under 3.35, but they'd be risking the car at that pace.
Old 4 Jun 2006, 19:44 (Ref:1627037)   #158
Martin Haven
Veteran

England
Royal Leamington Spa
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
But they do have more generous restrictors than the petrol cars.

It's all about thermal efficiency... how much bang you can get from your fuel/air mixture given your cubic capacity... and ther restrictors need to be MUCH more generous to make oil-burners as efficient as petrol engines...

The diesel needs to cram more fuel and air through then an equivalent petrol engine just to match the power... that's why they have turbos.

And, when you jam in more fuel to produce the power, bang goes that hallowed economy.

............ Ulrich Baretsky, Audi's chief engine designer, is far better placed to tell us all how well they're doing... but he probably won't until they supercede it with the next Uber-Project...

Hydrogen-powered Audi R12 anyone???

Link removed by Aysedasi - this link can only be accessed by DSC members. Whilst 10/10ths recognises the value of the service provided to its members, 10/10ths is not here simply as a repository for DSC links or news. No offence intended.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 4 Jun 2006 at 20:32.
Old 4 Jun 2006, 19:56 (Ref:1627041)   #159
Number7
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
Number7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pesca and Audi so close - it it going to be a magnificent race! Hope that RfH , Zytec, Creation and Courage can join the battle for the podium but I doubt it. But what on earth is Lister doing? They are an embaressment to the LMP1 class and not even two danish drivers can make me think any good of them. Not to mention WR ....
Old 4 Jun 2006, 20:06 (Ref:1627044)   #160
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Some footage of the crashed Lola: http://www.gtphotosport.com/lm2006_1/KPK_4898.html (and next) It must have been a huge bang
Old 4 Jun 2006, 20:10 (Ref:1627047)   #161
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Does anyone have the weight numbers? Is the Audi R10 still weighing 935 kg or did they get in down to the minimum (925 kg)?
Old 4 Jun 2006, 20:21 (Ref:1627055)   #162
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what in the name of all things ****ing holy happened to the lola, the thing looks like it was hit at both ends by cars going very quickly, sorry about the language but i have never seen any crash as bad as that and the car is in the worst state i have ever seen and i hope chamberlain can fix the car for the race, if the driver is unhurt then my god he is lucky
Old 4 Jun 2006, 20:29 (Ref:1627063)   #163
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Haven

Did anyone hear whether Trussers had his slide-rule with him??

I don't know, but he did run out of virtual memory on his laptop(apparently.....)
Old 4 Jun 2006, 20:33 (Ref:1627065)   #164
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Some footage of the crashed Lola: http://www.gtphotosport.com/lm2006_1/KPK_4898.html (and next) It must have been a huge bang

That was a biggie!
Old 4 Jun 2006, 20:51 (Ref:1627077)   #165
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice
what in the name of all things ****ing holy happened to the lola, the thing looks like it was hit at both ends by cars going very quickly, sorry about the language but i have never seen any crash as bad as that and the car is in the worst state i have ever seen and i hope chamberlain can fix the car for the race, if the driver is unhurt then my god he is lucky
Tub was fine and the car was being rebuilt.

All the bits and pieces crumpled as they should have done.

BTW, it's an optical illusion thats makes the car look as if it's been squashed.

Last edited by JAG; 4 Jun 2006 at 20:54.
Old 4 Jun 2006, 21:13 (Ref:1627091)   #166
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I admit that it was an exciting test day with fast lap times, but fast lap times isn't the only aspect of LM: To finish first, first you have to finish...
Old 4 Jun 2006, 21:47 (Ref:1627113)   #167
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hm biggie! Anyone got a link for RLM? Already been in trouble for not listening...

Only heard cars over the phone but they sounded mega!
Old 4 Jun 2006, 21:49 (Ref:1627115)   #168
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://globecast.workscast.com/

use Windows Media Player .. Open URL and put that link
just clicking should work too

Ciao Marco
Old 4 Jun 2006, 21:54 (Ref:1627120)   #169
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
I admit that it was an exciting test day with fast lap times, but fast lap times isn't the only aspect of LM: To finish first, first you have to finish...
Whilst this is true, I think it's worth mentioning that the four cars putting in the fast lap times are also the four cars which ran most reliably and by my reckoning are also most likely (in LMP1) to finish.............
Old 4 Jun 2006, 22:06 (Ref:1627125)   #170
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks Dani....now I can't be told off for not listening to Sam when he's on it
Old 5 Jun 2006, 09:01 (Ref:1627398)   #171
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
The top speed number suggest the Audi TDI engine is not producing more power than the other LMP1 engines.
  • Racing for Holland 330 (326)
  • Pescarolo #17 329 (324)
  • Pescarolo #18 325 (323)
  • Audi #8 324 (320)
  • Audi #7 323 (319)
  • Creation 322 (318)
  • Courage #13 322 (316)
  • Zytek 320 (318)
  • Courage #12 311 (307)
(in brackets the 5th fastest top speed to give an idea about the consistency...)

So the rumors of diesel engines having a power advantage does not seem true at the moment; of course they still have their big fuel comsumption advantage.
Seems the increased drag and new gurney are working.

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/trap.htm

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/trap00.html

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/trap01.html

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/trap02.html

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/trap03.html
Old 5 Jun 2006, 10:44 (Ref:1627467)   #172
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice
Full action of that crash here
very impressive, but the driver jumped out of his car very quickly
Old 5 Jun 2006, 10:51 (Ref:1627473)   #173
Suze
Veteran

England
Not surprised...thanks for pics. Wasn't nice.
Old 5 Jun 2006, 11:37 (Ref:1627503)   #174
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
Not surprised...thanks for pics. Wasn't nice.
Initially I read Suze's "not surprised" comment as a reflection of Burgueno's difficulties in getting to grips with the Lola - but re-reading it the crash looks like one that I'd want to get out of pretty quickly - a big one through and through.

To be honest though there's a part of me that's quite pleased that he didn't get his 10 laps in - he seems a touch all at sea with an LMP2 and to my eyes is all too reminiscent of John Woolf's unhappy encounter with the 917.
Old 5 Jun 2006, 11:42 (Ref:1627506)   #175
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge
To be honest though there's a part of me that's quite pleased that he didn't get his 10 laps in - he seems a touch all at sea with an LMP2 and to my eyes is all too reminiscent of John Woolf's unhappy encounter with the 917.
Did all other rookies get their 10 laps?