Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 6 Jun 2008, 11:22 (Ref:2221211)   #151
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Calendar to be unveiled 0800 GMT on A1GP.com...
Old 6 Jun 2008, 17:50 (Ref:2221436)   #152
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
Paddockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardRenes
Not yet, but as for Brands, I heard you may have to travel a bit further perhaps next season ( or closer, depending on where you live ).

As for now, there seems to be a problem a venue that needs to be sorted before the new calendar will be unveiled.
As I unfortunately suspected earlier this year.

Really do hope that Brands is included again but i suppose not at the expense of major track work.

IMO moving from Brands would be a big mistake for A1GP in UK.

Just hope it is a contractual thing that can be sorted as IMO Donnington or Silverstone just are not in the same league re spectator viewing!! as everbody is aware.
Old 6 Jun 2008, 20:58 (Ref:2221556)   #153
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Other than Donnington and Silverstone which other circuits in the UK has circuit grade required ?
Old 7 Jun 2008, 14:15 (Ref:2221910)   #154
kerrmanningjarv
Veteran

England
London
kerrmanningjarv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would love to see them race at Donny... Brands it too narrow and twisty for A1GP to have exciting races there. Donington isn't in Brands' league in terms of spectating, then again no track is really.
Old 7 Jun 2008, 17:32 (Ref:2222033)   #155
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
RichardRenes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not something completely silly and create a Liverpool or Birmingham street race
Old 7 Jun 2008, 18:24 (Ref:2222075)   #156
surrealillusion
Racer

United Kingdom
Next to my shadow
surrealillusion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a birmingham street circuit for the old F3000 all those years ago

But it would be nice to see them race at donington. Silverstone is too f1 compromised for the fans.

Surreal Illusions Motorsport Photography
Old 8 Jun 2008, 14:06 (Ref:2222496)   #157
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Why not something completely silly and create a Liverpool or Birmingham street race
Well it wouldn't be any sillier than another street race in Beijing.
Old 9 Jun 2008, 08:05 (Ref:2223396)   #158
kerrmanningjarv
Veteran

England
London
kerrmanningjarv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.a1gp.com/News/NewsArticle.aspx?newsId=39734

1 21 September 2008 A1GP Mugello, Italy
2 05 October 2008 A1GP Zandvoort, Netherlands
3 09 November 2008 A1GP Jakarta, Indonesia
4 23 November 2008 A1GP Sepang, Malaysia
5 14 December 2008 China (TBA)
6 25 January 2009 A1GP Taupo, New Zealand
7 22 February 2009 South Africa (TBA)
8 15 March 2009 A1GP Mexico City, Mexico
9 29 March 2009 TBA
10 12 April 2009 A1GP Algarve, Portugal
11 03 May 2009 Great Britain (TBA)

Interesting part-schedule, but too many TBA's for my liking .

We definitely have 3 new venues (including Jakarta, which I am told is a street track) and we could have 7 if the four TBA's all turn out to be new tracks for A1GP.

Last edited by kerrmanningjarv; 9 Jun 2008 at 08:08.
Old 9 Jun 2008, 08:12 (Ref:2223408)   #159
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bit frustrated Brands hasn't been announced, but living in Northants i wouldn't be gutted if Donny or Silverstone got it, really...

Interesting calendar so far...
Old 9 Jun 2008, 09:04 (Ref:2223456)   #160
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Plane tickets to TBC all round then Could do with Australia and America on the calendar, but at least its announced well in advance which many series don't manage.
Old 9 Jun 2008, 10:15 (Ref:2223519)   #161
BeeJ
Racer

England
Coventry UK
BeeJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heres hoping that The TBA for GB means it is coming to Donny or Silverstone.
Old 9 Jun 2008, 11:53 (Ref:2223608)   #162
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeJ
Heres hoping that The TBA for GB means it is coming to Donny or Silverstone.
Logically, the only three venues in Britain that can hold the race are Silverstone, Donington and Brands Hatch. I can't see the a street race being organised in the relatively small amount of time available. Personally, I would prefer the race to stay at Brands for I strongly associate the two.
Old 9 Jun 2008, 12:52 (Ref:2223679)   #163
ford prefect
Racer

United Kingdom
Wellingborough
ford prefect should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Living in Wellingborough, I would love A1GP to be at Silverstone. Not a big fan of Brands Hatch.

Donington's spectator facilities leave too much to be desired.
Old 9 Jun 2008, 13:16 (Ref:2223704)   #164
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Or even better.... Belfast, that way it's still in the UK but also a "home" race for Ireland
Old 9 Jun 2008, 14:02 (Ref:2223765)   #165
adstubbs
Racer

United Kingdom
Glamorous Hemel Hempstead
adstubbs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Suprised to see that the venue for the UK round is tbc - as per posts above, it would be a real shame for it not to rerturn to Brands. The series started at Brands Hatch, and for me part of the appeal of A1 is that it doesn't just go the same places as the F1 circus. As already mentioned, there's only Brands, Silverstone and Donington that can host it - I believe it requires an FIA grade 2 licence, and these are the only circuits in the UK that have this. Silverstone seeme the more likely, as although I do like Donington, it has some pretty big issues (spectator facilities and traffic management being the main ones).I do seem to remember reading that MSV were planning to upgrade Snetterton to this level though, not sure what became of that. I've not been to Oulton Park, but I have the impression that it would require a lot of work (run off and gravel traps) to be able to host something like A1. Fingers crossed we will see A1 back at Brands, like Kipper I associate the two, having marshalled all 3 A1 events there.
Old 9 Jun 2008, 15:02 (Ref:2223824)   #166
Net-Ranger
Racer

Mexico
Mexico City
Net-Ranger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad Mexico City is back, A1GP Mexico have improve their organization of the event, but still some issues, operative principally have to be work out, i'm sure this will be fixed on time

i'm surprise to see that only 4 of the usual venues are the only ones secure.

i wonder what they are planning for the TBA date after Mexico...
Old 9 Jun 2008, 15:04 (Ref:2223828)   #167
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not being emotional about it, Brands Hatch does produce the dullest race of the year. Can't imagine it being Silverstone as then Bernie would surely pull the British GP.

A bit worried about the prospect of a street race in Jakarta, considering the farce that was the GP2 race at Sentul. I do hope they come up with a reasonable layout and can manage it properly.

Can only imagine that December in China is Zhuhai, is too cold at that time of the year anywhere else (unless it's a street race in south China somewhere), and I can imagine what the March TBA is and why it cannot be announced just yet. Worth the wait it I am correct.

A bit worried that South Africa is TBA (too many TBA!), and that there are only 11 rounds (10 again if any fall over). After all the type from A1GP it sounded like they had more than that lined up.

Getting impatient for team news as well...
Old 9 Jun 2008, 16:11 (Ref:2223888)   #168
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper
Logically, the only three venues in Britain that can hold the race are Silverstone, Donington and Brands Hatch.
How about Rockingham? It's held ChampCar twice after all...
Old 9 Jun 2008, 18:04 (Ref:2223971)   #169
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
Paddockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by adstubbs
Suprised to see that the venue for the UK round is tbc - as per posts above, it would be a real shame for it not to rerturn to Brands. The series started at Brands Hatch, and for me part of the appeal of A1 is that it doesn't just go the same places as the F1.
Absolutely spot on!! If I wanted to watch A1GP cars from 350yds I would hire a Helicopter and a set of Binos!

And yes Brands is tight but this year standing on the entry to Hawthorne and watching both Adam Carrol and Filipe Albuquerque actually making it round this 5th gear corner two abrest with India and New Zealand was probably the most spectacular sight I have seen since the late Eighties and all from probably no more than 18 feet away!

Yes emotional but if every track was the same we would be in Tilke Land!
Old 9 Jun 2008, 18:12 (Ref:2223984)   #170
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos
How about Rockingham? It's held ChampCar twice after all...
I was pondering that too. I don't think that the infield circuits have got the required licence though, and assuming not I can't see them making the investment.

Still, as a dark horse...
Even darker horse - how will the new A1GP car cope with ovals? I doubt it, but stranger things have happened...
Old 9 Jun 2008, 20:39 (Ref:2224114)   #171
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rockingham has hosted F1 2 seaters before, so its a possiblity. I hope A1GP moves closer to me, so I can go see it.

No Eastern Creek!!!!!!!!!!
Old 9 Jun 2008, 21:06 (Ref:2224152)   #172
surrealillusion
Racer

United Kingdom
Next to my shadow
surrealillusion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although donington's spectator areas are not that great, it can produce great races, and there are decent places to watch from, albeit not many sadly.
But its the closest to me so i'd prefer donington over brands.

Hope silverstone doesn't get it, its been sanitised too much by F1 and bernie.

Either Brands or Donington would be cool.

Oulton Park has hosted F2 in the past, although that was when safety not as strict as it is nowadays, but seeing a1gp at oulton would be pretty cool.

Surreal Illusions Motorsport Photography
Old 10 Jun 2008, 02:33 (Ref:2224349)   #173
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very disappointed to see Eastern Creek go.In the past most A1 races listed as TBC have finished up as cancellations so the number of rounds may be less than 10.The most worrying trend of all is that only 4 of the 07/08 circuits have committed to rounds in the new series-Zandvoort,Sepang,Taupo and Mexico City.This says a lot about the series organisers unrealistic financial expectations of track owners and the stability of the series.My enthusiasm for A1 has taken a big nosedive with this new calendar.
Old 10 Jun 2008, 02:53 (Ref:2224353)   #174
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surprised that Zhuhai has not been confirmed for the China round.

I hope USA gets a round as well. A1GP should do all the things that F1 doesn't.
Old 10 Jun 2008, 03:01 (Ref:2224357)   #175
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Does the new Ferrari A1GP car come with a flotation device?

http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.ph...1234&Itemid=31