Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 23 Apr 2010, 07:13 (Ref:2678241)   #151
westfieldbend
Veteran

westfieldbend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen H View Post
Mallory? A few years since I`ve been there, so gulp, does Mallory have debris fencing? Is so where. Is it the new tall stuff?

Mallory was such a scenic circuit
Lakes esses

Not sure if Gerrards has been done as well as I haven't been there this year, but there was talk of it.
Old 23 Apr 2010, 21:59 (Ref:2678725)   #152
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by westfieldbend View Post
Lakes esses

Not sure if Gerrards has been done as well as I haven't been there this year, but there was talk of it.
thanks for getting back - love mallory as a pretty circuit, but not been there in such a long time - so need to be prepared for the shock of the place being altered.

okay lakeside esses not so bad - also gerrads is one hell of a corner.

I was dreading a ring of steel, and then feared for lydden
Old 29 Apr 2010, 16:47 (Ref:2681754)   #153
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes folks, we now have the "Wellington Straight"!

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns22210.html

And if ever the French get around to building their new F1 circuit, I expect no less than to see them include a "Napoleon Straight"
Old 29 Apr 2010, 21:58 (Ref:2681920)   #154
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat12-Aircool View Post
Well the place was a bomber base in the war. I like that they've conitnued the tradition they started with Brooklands by naming one Aintree.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 23:35 (Ref:2681957)   #155
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
well the wellington straight is going to be a minefield of bad commentary puns. how long before someone gives it some welly....
Old 30 Apr 2010, 15:25 (Ref:2682235)   #156
Peterram430
Rookie

Northern Ireland
Belfast, UK
Peterram430 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Onboard video
Old 10 May 2010, 12:52 (Ref:2687921)   #157
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I raced on the National at the weekend and thought the improvements were fine the kerbs were less harsh and the surface offered plenty of grip and I have no problems with the run off areas especially as i have beached myself twice at the end of the straight in the past now thats not so easy to do.
Old 10 May 2010, 19:05 (Ref:2688155)   #158
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns22210.html

And if ever the French get around to building their new F1 circuit, I expect no less than to see them include a "Napoleon Straight"
Wrong Wellington!!!! It is named after the Wellington Aircraft that flew from Silverstone during the war.
Old 10 May 2010, 19:07 (Ref:2688157)   #159
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having been round the new Arena circuit a few times, I did notice that the new kerbs are fairly flat with only small drops on the saw tooth edges - I presume that is for the motorbikes.

However there have been some very high raised sections installed inside the kerbs at the left hander at the end of Vale going into Club and at the new Village and Loop section to discourage corner cutting by cars.
Old 11 May 2010, 01:05 (Ref:2688366)   #160
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Wrong Wellington!!!! It is named after the Wellington Aircraft that flew from Silverstone during the war.
So are you trying to say the Bombers weren't named after the Duke of Wellington?
Old 11 May 2010, 07:21 (Ref:2688448)   #161
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
So are you trying to say the Bombers weren't named after the Duke of Wellington?
Other bombers were named after towns such as Stirling,Halifax, Lancaster etc.
Old 11 May 2010, 07:37 (Ref:2688460)   #162
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Here is some incar of the National Circuit at the weekend, dunno whether it was just me but it somehow felt better. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX9zqS-7AEw
Old 13 May 2010, 13:58 (Ref:2689787)   #163
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Other bombers were named after towns such as Stirling,Halifax, Lancaster etc.
Dresden?
Old 14 May 2010, 02:03 (Ref:2690117)   #164
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Here is some incar of the National Circuit at the weekend, dunno whether it was just me but it somehow felt better. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX9zqS-7AEw
Nice drive, I enjoyed that. I watched Part 2 as well, but was sorry there wasn't a Part 3 to show how it all turned out!
Old 14 May 2010, 05:38 (Ref:2690149)   #165
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
That was it, at the end of Part 2 the flag went down which is why I slowed up!
Old 15 May 2010, 00:06 (Ref:2690653)   #166
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Sorry, missed the flag because I was looking ahead to see if you were closing on the cars in front! The circuit looks pretty good, too. Glad they haven't spoilt it.
Old 21 May 2010, 20:21 (Ref:2695649)   #167
Chris Isaacs
Rookie

Chris Isaacs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all, having just driven the Arena GP layout but never the 'old' GP one, has anyone out there driven both layouts under similar conditions ? I would be interested to get a comparison of lap times between the two. Thanks!
Old 3 Jun 2010, 13:10 (Ref:2703826)   #168
Matt Hunter
Racer

England
Exmouth
Matt Hunter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Developments coming on well with the pit lane stuff. New building frames going up and having seen them in person, it's looking HUUUUGE!!!
Can't wait to see the finished product. Back at the circuit in September so will be interesting to compare.
Old 5 Jun 2010, 22:20 (Ref:2705256)   #169
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Just been looking at their Flickr page. Indeed, steel frames go up SO fast, don't they?
Old 7 Jun 2010, 22:04 (Ref:2706398)   #170
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Isaacs View Post
Hi all, having just driven the Arena GP layout but never the 'old' GP one, has anyone out there driven both layouts under similar conditions ? I would be interested to get a comparison of lap times between the two. Thanks!
I've not driven it myself but just as a comparison, in this years FIA GT race the cars were lapping around about the 2min mark, whereas last year it was more like 1min 45sec.
Old 9 Jun 2010, 19:41 (Ref:2707673)   #171
Chris Isaacs
Rookie

Chris Isaacs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for that, this info prompted me to look on TSL's site where it turns out the British F3's have tested this year on both layouts.

...which gives the following results:

Old circuit, 3.19 miles, new circuit 3.66 miles (or 1.147 times the length of the old GP layout)

Best F3 time on old circuit, 1 min 40, on new one 1 min 54 (or 1.14 times as long)

Although this is just one formula it is interesting how close the time difference correlates to the extra track length, having looked at the two layouts on paper it seemed to me that the new section of track looked like it would give slightly lower average speeds than the old bit - but it seems this may not be the case.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 11:04 (Ref:2708151)   #172
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have drivern the Bridge config a few weeks back, hated the new club, the old one was nice and had a flow.. not a fan of the new one tbh.
Old 18 Jun 2010, 22:53 (Ref:2714537)   #173
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I notice from the Moto GP today, that they've allowed spectators onto the old Priory loop section, behind some temp chain link fencing.
Old 24 Jun 2010, 10:46 (Ref:2717332)   #174
Matt Hunter
Racer

England
Exmouth
Well that's an interesting addition!
Talk about getting close to the action. Mind you if they hadn't then the only people to get a good view of the Wellington Straight would be those in the Brooklands grandstand and the BRDC building (unless you're up on the bridge).

Any new pics of the new pits? It was looking impressive from what I saw at the MotoGP
Old 24 Jun 2010, 10:54 (Ref:2717334)   #175
Matt Hunter
Racer

England
Exmouth
http://www.flickr.com/photos/silvers...n/photostream/

Look on the wall and there appears to be now TWO variations on the National circuit.
Sweet!