Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 17 Oct 2011, 18:55 (Ref:2972796)   #151
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Worth listening to what Jody Scheckter has to say:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/15336678.stm
Old 17 Oct 2011, 19:06 (Ref:2972809)   #152
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mark Blundell: Not Acceptable

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/15333333.stm
Old 17 Oct 2011, 19:20 (Ref:2972822)   #153
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
mountianstar, I am glad you have posted your thoughts as they are similar to mine but much more detailed than my knowledge would have allowed and it took more guts than I have right now to say it.

After sleeping on it, I am pretty mad about this...just seems so senseless.

As a mere fan, my feelings have got to be mild in comparison to others more involved.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 19:33 (Ref:2972832)   #154
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Mr Revhead has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I disagree that it had anything to do with sub standard drivers.
Or the number of cars. Or the design of the cars.

The speeds, yes.
Track design, possibly.
It was a simple racing incident that triggered it. The same sort of thing happens just about every race.
It was just tragic bad luck that cars avoiding the incident in front of them ended up in such a way as to launch Wheldons car. It was also tragic bad luck that he hit the fence they way he did. If he hadn't hit it that way he would probably be ok.

Ground effects only work when on the ground, the moment the car rode over the wheel of the one in front all ground effect would cease to exist and the crash would still have happened.
In fact ground effects would make the cars faster if everything else remained the same.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 19:47 (Ref:2972839)   #155
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Revhead View Post
I disagree that it had anything to do with sub standard drivers.
Or the number of cars. Or the design of the cars.

The speeds, yes.
Track design, possibly.
It was a simple racing incident that triggered it. The same sort of thing happens just about every race.
It was just tragic bad luck that cars avoiding the incident in front of them ended up in such a way as to launch Wheldons car. It was also tragic bad luck that he hit the fence they way he did. If he hadn't hit it that way he would probably be ok.

Ground effects only work when on the ground, the moment the car rode over the wheel of the one in front all ground effect would cease to exist and the crash would still have happened.
In fact ground effects would make the cars faster if everything else remained the same.
It was a racing accident and both Jody Scheckter and Mark Blundell mentioned that the number of cars were a contributing factor, as have others.

The Dallara isn't a ground effect car and has a flat undertray, making it more prone to taking off than a ground effect car
Old 17 Oct 2011, 19:51 (Ref:2972844)   #156
Stefvh
Veteran

Belgium
Stefvh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IndyCars should not run on Nascar ovals. I don't like "2-wide" racing at all. Now, i really know why.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 19:56 (Ref:2972853)   #157
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefvh View Post
IndyCars should not run on Nascar ovals. I don't like "2-wide" racing at all. Now, i really know why.
I think that's a very good point, just look at the problems with Texas when CART raced there.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 19:58 (Ref:2972856)   #158
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Number of cars is debatable, that touch could have happend with 5 cars. Likewise the couple that got together in front of Wheledon.

Ground effects only work in close proximity to the ground. As soon as the front of his car rode up the back of the car in front it would have lost all ground effects.
Remember his car didn't just take off, it rode up the back wheel of other cars. Ground effects would have had 0 effect in preventing that.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 20:04 (Ref:2972861)   #159
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Number of cars is debatable, that touch could have happend with 5 cars. Likewise the couple that got together in front of Wheledon.

Ground effects only work in close proximity to the ground. As soon as the front of his car rode up the back of the car in front it would have lost all ground effects.
Remember his car didn't just take off, it rode up the back wheel of other cars. Ground effects would have had 0 effect in preventing that.
The Dallara isn't a ground effect car, it has a flat undertray, no venturi tunnels or veins to direct the air, like the Lolas and Reynards.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 20:06 (Ref:2972862)   #160
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
I know. I am pointing out that even if it did have ground effects it would have not altered the crash in anyway
Old 17 Oct 2011, 20:09 (Ref:2972864)   #161
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A lot of people have griped about the new chassis design, but with that big butt end on it, that feature is designed to keep a car from climbing the back wheel and getting airborne like Wheldon's did.

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 17 Oct 2011 at 20:18.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 17 Oct 2011, 20:10 (Ref:2972866)   #162
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I know. I am pointing out that even if it did have ground effects it would have not altered the crash in anyway
As I understand it, ground effect tunnels help break up airflow when the front of the car is lifted, preventing the under tray from acting as a giant wing, which results in the lifting the entire car.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 20:15 (Ref:2972868)   #163
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Because of the venturi tunnels etc. the car is pushed down onto the track, stopping the car from lifting and producing more grip. I don't remember seeing Lolasand Reynards taking off like the Dallara does but if there's footage I'd like to see it.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 20:16 (Ref:2972869)   #164
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Yes.
How ever using the back of another car as a ramp will negate that effect a lot.
In this case Wheldons car was tumbling, I do not think the design of the floor had much to do with anything. The speed it was going when airbourne would have
Old 17 Oct 2011, 20:19 (Ref:2972874)   #165
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Yes.
How ever using the back of another car as a ramp will negate that effect a lot.
In this case Wheldons car was tumbling, I do not think the design of the floor had much to do with anything. The speed it was going when airbourne would have
A flat undertray will assist the car in lifting, the venturi tunnels etc. will disrupt the airflow if the car starts to lift.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 20:23 (Ref:2972877)   #166
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
This is going in circles

My key point is they car was launched at speed over another car and tumbled.
So less wing like and more missile like.
It spent virtually 0 time in an aspect for the floor to do anything.
If it had stayed level then yeah the floor would have played a part.
At that speed and that angle of attack there was no option but for it to tumble.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 20:28 (Ref:2972881)   #167
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
This is going in circles

My key point is they car was launched at speed over another car and tumbled.
So less wing like and more missile like.
It spent virtually 0 time in an aspect for the floor to do anything.
If it had stayed level then yeah the floor would have played a part.
At that speed and that angle of attack there was no option but for it to tumble.
It is but as I said I don't remember anything like this happening in the CART era, so I'm quite happy to stand corrected. .
Old 17 Oct 2011, 21:09 (Ref:2972913)   #168
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I see Jimmie Johnson wants Indycar to quit ovals altogether.

Frankly, the media is awash with alarmism and I'm a bit shy about doing anything other than taking the views of the pundits and stakeholders with a pinch of salt just 24 hours after this horror.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 21:25 (Ref:2972929)   #169
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I saw first hand a wreck similar to this one that ended the career of Dr. Jack Miller at Atlanta Motor Speedway and that was over 10 years ago...

OW cars do not belong on HIGH BANKED ovals. They didn't belong on AMS 10 years ago and they didn't belong on LVMS yesterday.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 21:41 (Ref:2972941)   #170
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I saw first hand a wreck similar to this one that ended the career of Dr. Jack Miller at Atlanta Motor Speedway and that was over 10 years ago...

OW cars do not belong on HIGH BANKED ovals. They didn't belong on AMS 10 years ago and they didn't belong on LVMS yesterday.
It certainly didn't work at Texas in 2001.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 21:45 (Ref:2972944)   #171
christcc2
Rookie

christcc2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 21:58 (Ref:2972951)   #172
Aloysius
Racer

Aloysius should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem is we have all forgotten once again that racing is dangerous. Do we try to minimize the risk? Yes, but they cannot and indeed should not be totally eliminated. That is part of what makes motorsports better than anything else. Dan Wheldon's death is no ones fault. He died in massive accident that twenty years ago would have claimed many more lives. The cars are safer, the walls are safer, and 14 drivers walked away uninjured from that crazy wreck. It is the first in race Indycar fatality in more than ten years. Is this an acceptable level of risk for motorsport? I say yes. There is an acceptable level of risk.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 22:02 (Ref:2972955)   #173
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt View Post
A lot of people have griped about the new chassis design, but with that big butt end on it, that feature is designed to keep a car from climbing the back wheel and getting airborne like Wheldon's did.
They do ruin the looks of the cars, but that is the reason most super mods have run nerf bars for decades.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 22:05 (Ref:2972957)   #174
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloysius View Post
The problem is we have all forgotten once again that racing is dangerous. Do we try to minimize the risk? Yes, but they cannot and indeed should not be totally eliminated. That is part of what makes motorsports better than anything else. Dan Wheldon's death is no ones fault. He died in massive accident that twenty years ago would have claimed many more lives. The cars are safer, the walls are safer, and 14 drivers walked away uninjured from that crazy wreck. It is the first in race Indycar fatality in more than ten years. Is this an acceptable level of risk for motorsport? I say yes. There is an acceptable level of risk.
Agreed, I think it is an acceptible risk, otherwise the drivers themselves wouldn't race. However what's now needed is sensible analysis, rather than a knee-jerk reaction, to this appauling tagedy.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 22:51 (Ref:2972994)   #175
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Agreed, I think it is an acceptible risk, otherwise the drivers themselves wouldn't race. However what's now needed is sensible analysis, rather than a knee-jerk reaction, to this appauling tagedy.
Agree.......