Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 May 2013, 12:33 (Ref:3247825)   #151
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
Beard has made Ambrose slower over the last few rounds - reckon he needs to try a "big Merv mo"
could we see him doing stretches before getting in the car with the crowd in the grandstand copying just like they did when Merv was in the outfield???
Old 21 May 2013, 10:38 (Ref:3251038)   #152
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
Don't know where he's going for sure. I do know for sure that a prominent Australian motoring journalist was told directly by Porsche in 2012 that Webber was their number one target for 2014 sportscar campaign.

Would think Porsche LeMans/WEC would pay better, and be more interesting, than V8SC. The only reason to come back would be homesickness, but that doesn't seem to have bothered him so far.

Also, he was tweeting Brighty about his Ferrari drive at Le Mans. Paraphrased he said 'Wait till you get something with grip - you won't want to go back'.
It was already announced a month ago that the deal has been done with Porsche.......
Old 21 May 2013, 10:47 (Ref:3251043)   #153
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
I think people are putting two and two together and getting a bit more.
Old 21 May 2013, 11:49 (Ref:3251077)   #154
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I could never imagine Mark racing V8sc. I recall him having a dismissive attitude to the ATCC and Bathurst drives back when he was younger (Before even Cochrane came in!). He would look as hopeless in V8sc as Schumacher did in his GP comeback anyway.
Old 27 May 2013, 02:48 (Ref:3253781)   #155
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In a new twist for 2014, our olf mate V8Confidential on twitter, has suggested, through a cryptic veil, that GRM are currently in negotiations with Volvo for 2014

Having taken a peek at the possible powertrains available, there is a Volvo V8 engine around, fettled by Yamaha, a few years ago, that may suit the series

Presumably it would require a significant investment in engine development prowess, which the team doesnt currently have, what with its WP supply deal at the minute...

Lets see what happens next...
Old 27 May 2013, 13:59 (Ref:3254006)   #156
davester
Racer

davester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would find this a highly unlikely synergy given that Volvo have recently dissed any future role for the V8 across their range. They were quite clear that the future lays with smaller displacement forced induction options and that V8 was dead in the world of Volvo.

Add to this their failure to successfully resolve a sound business case for a large sedan type option, and the link to a large displacement hero racing program becomes even further distanced from their retail sales direction.

This of course does not preclude another non-manufacturer supported Erebus type project from evolving.
Old 27 May 2013, 21:08 (Ref:3254222)   #157
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
In a new twist for 2014, our olf mate V8Confidential on twitter, has suggested, through a cryptic veil, that GRM are currently in negotiations with Volvo for 2014

Having taken a peek at the possible powertrains available, there is a Volvo V8 engine around, fettled by Yamaha, a few years ago, that may suit the series

Presumably it would require a significant investment in engine development prowess, which the team doesnt currently have, what with its WP supply deal at the minute...

Hi GTR,

Having recently completed all of the engineering, and areo requirements for a V8Supertourer Hyundai I45, thats in build right now, I dont see any issues with GMR adopting a suitable 4 door sedan body to use on its current COFT car's. Certainly nothing that would be prohibitively expensive, ours was less than A$50K including body molds.

The Yamaha designed and built engine does not comply because it's a 60º cylinder bank angle, and only a 90º is permitted, but unless they, V8SC, have scrapped the option of using the Craig Hasted developed "neutral" Dart based engine, that would be a very good option because its based on Chevy SB architecture, but using an alloy engine block.

If that "neutral" Dart engine is still allowed it would a no brainer because most if not all of the current short deck chevy, so called Holden Motorsport engine parts, would bolt straight on.

Cheers,

Mark.
Old 27 May 2013, 22:32 (Ref:3254256)   #158
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Presumably it would require a significant investment in engine development prowess, which the team doesnt currently have
Hah??? GRM's main engine man still works for the team. When Garry moved the team down to Dandenong from Glen Waverley, he didn't re-build the engine shop and thus took on the WP engine deal. I remember his words of that it's better him to go an engine deal than try and tip the teams budget in gaining that fraction.

Last edited by Denosaur; 27 May 2013 at 22:43.
Old 27 May 2013, 23:08 (Ref:3254264)   #159
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur View Post
Hah??? GRM's main engine man still works for the team. When Garry moved the team down to Dandenong from Glen Waverley, he didn't re-build the engine shop and thus took on the WP engine deal. I remember his words of that it's better him to go an engine deal than try and tip the teams budget in gaining that fraction.
I know they have an engine builder on staff, on one of the V8XTRA stories, they showed him dressing the WP-supplied engines, and making sure they are huffing & puffing as they should.

But its not the same as having a pair of engine dynos, 3 or 4 full time developers & assemblers, and a shedload of engines and new parts to throw at the issue... plus all the other ancillaries and niceties that a modern engine shop has.

To warm that up would not be a cheap spend for GRM
Old 27 May 2013, 23:14 (Ref:3254267)   #160
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch
Quote:

Hi GTR,
Having recently completed all of the engineering, and areo requirements for a V8Supertourer Hyundai I45, thats in build right now, I dont see any issues with GMR adopting a suitable 4 door sedan body to use on its current COFT car's. Certainly nothing that would be prohibitively expensive, ours was less than A$50K including body molds.
The Yamaha designed and built engine does not comply because it's a 60º cylinder bank angle, and only a 90º is permitted, but unless they, V8SC, have scrapped the option of using the Craig Hasted developed "neutral" Dart based engine, that would be a very good option because its based on Chevy SB architecture, but using an alloy engine block.
If that "neutral" Dart engine is still allowed it would a no brainer because most if not all of the current short deck chevy, so called Holden Motorsport engine parts, would bolt straight on.
Cheers,
Mark.
I get the feeling that if a manufacturer showed a serious interest in participating in the series, it shall be done.. I mean AMG got fly by wire throttle, flat plane cranks etc etc...
Old 27 May 2013, 23:35 (Ref:3254273)   #161
888_Fan
Racer

888_Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speaking of our V8Confidential mate, can anybody decipher the second tweet sent to the world yesterday?

"What driver dished out Capital spanking on Washington in public demonstration of Indypendence?? Was it Georgia On Behind?"
Old 27 May 2013, 23:56 (Ref:3254278)   #162
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 888_Fan View Post
Speaking of our V8Confidential mate, can anybody decipher the second tweet sent to the world yesterday?

"What driver dished out Capital spanking on Washington in public demonstration of Indypendence?? Was it Georgia On Behind?"
Presumably, purely allegedly of course, this tweet might suggest that Mr W.Davison has allegedly been spotted touring Washington DC on holiday with someone who is said to not be V8Supercars' Ms Crehan.

Allegedly of course...

Old 28 May 2013, 01:32 (Ref:3254297)   #163
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Presumably, purely allegedly of course, this tweet might suggest that Mr W.Davison has allegedly been spotted touring Washington DC on holiday with someone who is said to not be V8Supercars' Ms Crehan.

Allegedly of course...

i will admit i am not the best at Cryptic Crosswords, but i can usually understand the clue retrospectively once the answer is revealed.

But how did you get that answer from that clue?
Old 28 May 2013, 01:40 (Ref:3254298)   #164
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
i will admit i am not the best at Cryptic Crosswords, but i can usually understand the clue retrospectively once the answer is revealed.

But how did you get that answer from that clue?
Because its not the only tweet about Mr Davison, or a reference to the lady in question...
Old 28 May 2013, 22:05 (Ref:3254749)   #165
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I know they have an engine builder on staff, on one of the V8XTRA stories, they showed him dressing the WP-supplied engines, and making sure they are huffing & puffing as they should.

But its not the same as having a pair of engine dynos, 3 or 4 full time developers & assemblers, and a shedload of engines and new parts to throw at the issue... plus all the other ancillaries and niceties that a modern engine shop has.

To warm that up would not be a cheap spend for GRM
If memory services me correct, I think Garry only ever had 2 or 3 blokes in the engine shop. One retired around the time they moved and the other stayed on.

Not a cheap spend at all, and I doubt Garry would part with the money, unless someone was solely funding it.

There's more than one used car salesman in the field, plus don't forget, Garry's other passion is single horse power, so he may have just been buying some good blood stock or having a holiday like a normal person would......
Old 28 May 2013, 22:53 (Ref:3254763)   #166
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe the used car salesman is actually Andrew Miedecke

Quote:
Because its not the only tweet about Mr Davison, or a reference to the lady in question...
ah I see, Confuscious
Old 29 May 2013, 03:34 (Ref:3254808)   #167
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
Maybe the used car salesman is actually Andrew Miedecke
Could be Greg Crick too.. or John Briggs... or Neville Crichton... but likely isnt
Old 29 May 2013, 05:40 (Ref:3254823)   #168
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Could be Greg Crick too.. or John Briggs... or Neville Crichton... but likely isnt
hence the ""
Old 29 May 2013, 12:44 (Ref:3254986)   #169
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Neville Crichton was/is an importer?
Old 29 May 2013, 23:52 (Ref:3255245)   #170
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by F J Nedos View Post
I thought Neville Crichton was/is an importer?
Chery & Great Wall are some of his most recent achievements, makes you want to go second hand...
Old 31 May 2013, 00:48 (Ref:3255771)   #171
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GC 600: Should the Gold Coast 600 stay on the Gold Coast?
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/news/gold-coast.html

Council's $1m GC 600 rescue bid
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...oast-news.html

Last edited by TWRv12; 31 May 2013 at 00:57.
Old 3 Jun 2013, 00:17 (Ref:3256895)   #172
888_Fan
Racer

888_Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like our mate V8Confidential has been pulled from Twitter....

Too close to the truth, perhaps?
Old 3 Jun 2013, 01:33 (Ref:3256917)   #173
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 888_Fan View Post
Looks like our mate V8Confidential has been pulled from Twitter.... Too close to the truth, perhaps?
Damn, how does that work.

I wonder if he was pulled, or given the information he had, someone in the sport worked out who he was...
Old 3 Jun 2013, 03:53 (Ref:3256931)   #174
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
A Dandenong-based used car dealer perhaps?
Old 13 Jun 2013, 01:47 (Ref:3261880)   #175
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is it fair to say that Tim Blanchard wont be at DJR next year? After reading AdCafe's interview with Steve Johnson, Junior is looking at retuning to fulltime racing next year, most likely with DJR and he's also like to have Chaz Mostert locked in for 2014 by the endurance races....?