Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 12 Jun 2013, 05:25 (Ref:3261265)   #151
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappelli View Post
You Tube’s a nice simple option… There are however a couple of major drawbacks, at least from a content owners perspective. It gets a little awkward when the pre-roll on your BNT V8ST live feed is a 30 second Supercheap Auto commercial.... Because You Tube is a juggernaut based on volume, with domestic content making up but a tiny tiny fraction of that volume I doubt whether they give a flying s**t about looking after your relationship with sponsors.....

Also, being the juggernaut they are, they’ve also got bugger all vested interest in promoting your content. It’s all well and good making the coverage available, but you still have to lead the horse to water if you want to have a shot at getting it to drink…… and as we know, Google make a buck or two out of leading horses..

All academic of course if V8ST/NZV8’s are (going) exclusive with Sky/TV3….
Not entirely true, I work in TV and we have a very good relationship with YouTube and they've always been super helpful with anything we've needed, including advertising alterations. The thing that makes them a juggernaut is that they know how to look after those that want to support them in return.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 10:37 (Ref:3261382)   #152
Alpina107
Rookie

Alpina107 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbutler View Post
i'd be happy with a good quality live stream on youtube as most tv's nowadays are internet ready and set up for youtube.
Would be nice, but I think the big cost in live coverage comes from the on-site production team/equipment, rather than the actual air time.

An earlier post talked of $100k for the OB van to go to an event. Not sure exactly what that covers, but it's certainly 3-5 times more expensive for a live production than simply recording and editing afterwards.

Perhaps they can stream one or two cameras unedited, but not sure what sort of viewing experience that would provide.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 21:25 (Ref:3261792)   #153
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We paid for filming and production costs as a part of a package with BMW three or four years ago. It cost us $3000 per ten minutes of air time.

We jacked it in after a while as it wasn't cost effective mainly as for the last round, it was filmed, but Sky TV couldn't (read wouldn't) find a slot for it so it was never edited and produced.

As I understand it, the bean counters at Sky, having paid for some overseas packages, preferred to show two or three year old repeats to get their money's worth, rather than show local content that was supplied to them for free.

The usual story was that two or three months after filming, I'd get a call to head to the sound studio to assist Jamie with commentaries, basically the day before Sky decided they had a slot.

It would then be shown at probably 5pm - when most of our working guys would still be at work anyway and repeated at 7am the day after. Usually there was insufficient notice to circulate the details to give people the opportunity to set recordings (this was before My Sky).

It was overall a total waste of our precious reserves and we have no wish to repeat it and I don't think our sponsors (Auckland Engineering Supplies and Arrow Wheels) who chipped in extrta, got too much out of it either.
Old 13 Jun 2013, 00:56 (Ref:3261869)   #154
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy G View Post
Not entirely true, I work in TV and we have a very good relationship with YouTube and they've always been super helpful with anything we've needed, including advertising alterations. The thing that makes them a juggernaut is that they know how to look after those that want to support them in return.
YouTube’s policies are (and rightly so) centered around protecting their own bacon… That’s great if you’re “those that want to support them”, but if you’re neither an advertiser or a content provider capable of driving significant numbers of streams, then it’s logical that their attention is going to be elsewhere... which as you’ve pointed out means that yep, you may have to ask for advertising alterations because a Supercheap pre-roll is playing into your stream or you may find that Supercheap’s content is being promoted ahead of yours…. I wasn’t saying You Tube are a bunch of a-holes who will ignore you. I was saying that while it’s a nice simple solution, it’s also a nice easy solution for the squillions of other people uploading content to YouTube…. And in that regard, beyond a helpful customer service hotline, there physically aren’t enough hours in the day for YouTube to actually give a flying s**t about you or your relationship with sponsors…. Unless you are “those that want to support them”…
Old 13 Jun 2013, 06:15 (Ref:3261920)   #155
magic
Rookie

New Zealand
magic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
We paid for filming and production costs as a part of a package with BMW three or four years ago. It cost us $3000 per ten minutes of air time.

We jacked it in after a while as it wasn't cost effective mainly as for the last round, it was filmed, but Sky TV couldn't (read wouldn't) find a slot for it so it was never edited and produced.

As I understand it, the bean counters at Sky, having paid for some overseas packages, preferred to show two or three year old repeats to get their money's worth, rather than show local content that was supplied to them for free.

The usual story was that two or three months after filming, I'd get a call to head to the sound studio to assist Jamie with commentaries, basically the day before Sky decided they had a slot.

It would then be shown at probably 5pm - when most of our working guys would still be at work anyway and repeated at 7am the day after. Usually there was insufficient notice to circulate the details to give people the opportunity to set recordings (this was before My Sky).

It was overall a total waste of our precious reserves and we have no wish to repeat it and I don't think our sponsors (Auckland Engineering Supplies and Arrow Wheels) who chipped in extrta, got too much out of it either.

Are you saying that you went into an agreement for television coverage without having a timeslot confirmed by the production company or a network? Seems a bit silly to me?
I would suggest that the problem was more with the network either 1: not being asked if there was available bookings for your show, 2: quality of show not up to broadcast standard or 3: you were promised more than what could be delivered?
all the issues that you have stated are the sole responsibility of the promotor or production company that made the show i would have thought??
Old 13 Jun 2013, 06:36 (Ref:3261927)   #156
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The TV company promises nothing, guarantees nothing. I wasn't party to the negotiations with Sky, but was asked if we'd support TV coverage arranged by one of the other race groups. In hindsight, yes, we were probably naive in not asking the right questions but did so to get classic racing on TV, an area that is seriously under-represented, given that the support by competitors is at least 4 times that of Tier 1.

I doubt that any TV company will, at the beginning of the race season, guarantee any time slot, for a third party produced programme, especially at our level. It left a sour taste in the mouth but I mention it only to illustrate how getting motorsport on TV is so difficult, even when the TV company doesn't have to dip into its own pocket at all.

If those in the TV industry have anything to add, please do, as since the moderation tighten up, they have been rather quiet.
Old 13 Jun 2013, 06:55 (Ref:3261934)   #157
magic
Rookie

New Zealand
magic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
which TV company were you dealing with, because in my experience the sole responsibility of providing the client with a time slot solely rests with the production company or the provider that you payed the dollars to, i think they call it a contractual agreement? once money is paid a service must be provided?
Old 13 Jun 2013, 14:32 (Ref:3262152)   #158
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Most cable and satellite channels these days simply rent space to whoever that wants it, hence they don't really put a lot of effort into promoting what is in those slots.
Old 13 Jun 2013, 21:32 (Ref:3262327)   #159
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic View Post
which TV company were you dealing with, because in my experience the sole responsibility of providing the client with a time slot solely rests with the production company or the provider that you payed the dollars to, i think they call it a contractual agreement? once money is paid a service must be provided?
Agree completely. To date I have never had a bad or even slightly less than satisfactory dealings with any TV production company. They have always delivered 100% and have been very good to work with.
Old 16 Jun 2013, 23:17 (Ref:3263542)   #160
GHOGH
Racer

GHOGH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mediaworks probs

Looks like Mediaworks are having a few problems.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10891045
Old 17 Jun 2013, 02:19 (Ref:3263577)   #161
Nigel TV3
Racer

Nigel TV3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOGH View Post
Looks like Mediaworks are having a few problems.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10891045
Hi GHOGH, just to let you know it is business as usual for CRC Motorsport/TV3. The receivership has been planned for some time. I have been assured the move is a way of easing the current debt burden to enable the Company to move forward.

Nigel Carpenter
Producer
CRC Motorsport
TV3 Mediaworks
Old 28 Jun 2013, 02:51 (Ref:3271014)   #162
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TV3,
I will be blunt here. What is up with the lack of Challenge Cup coverage from Puke?

A week after the event you played the BNTV8ST's, the week after that you did Suzukis, and the week after that you did the utes. But still no coverage of the CC.

I always thought the order it should be played in reflected the order of undercard importance, i.e. ST's, then V8CC, then Utes, and then Suzy-Q's

Nigel, please let me/us know when the V8CC races will be screened.

As a minor sponsor of one of the cars, I would like to see this aired
Old 28 Jun 2013, 03:20 (Ref:3271020)   #163
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
TV3,
I will be blunt here. What is up with the lack of Challenge Cup coverage from Puke?

A week after the event you played the BNTV8ST's, the week after that you did Suzukis, and the week after that you did the utes. But still no coverage of the CC.

I always thought the order it should be played in reflected the order of undercard importance, i.e. ST's, then V8CC, then Utes, and then Suzy-Q's

Perhaps it is!
Old 28 Jun 2013, 06:20 (Ref:3271036)   #164
harcey
Racer

harcey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
TV3,

V8CC is a wee bit of an embarrasment with 7x cars even with the prize packages on offer ,clearly the feeder series concept to V8ST has not remotely worked especially without a single genuine potential contender/pretender IMO,and i feel for TV3 if they have to show the races which i guess they are contracted to.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 09:05 (Ref:3271090)   #165
Nigel TV3
Racer

Nigel TV3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcey View Post
V8CC is a wee bit of an embarrasment with 7x cars even with the prize packages on offer ,clearly the feeder series concept to V8ST has not remotely worked especially without a single genuine potential contender/pretender IMO,and i feel for TV3 if they have to show the races which i guess they are contracted to.
Thanks Harcey, you are right on the money. It is a shame there were only 7 cars on the grid and because of that it is difficult to justify 30 minutes of national free to air TV.
TV3 survives solely on advertising revenue and having only 7 cars on screen would attract very few advertisers. If we can get the number of cars to between 12 and 15 we would be in boots and all. I am a fan of CC, so here's hoping the numbers will increase.

Nigel
Producer
CRC Motorsport/TV3
Old 28 Jun 2013, 09:16 (Ref:3271094)   #166
BlueBlood
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
BlueBlood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ball back in your court NZSTfan.

Simply sponsor another 5 - 8 cars and you will get your national advertising on TV.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 11:29 (Ref:3271160)   #167
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Might see a few more after the winter maybe.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 21:21 (Ref:3271385)   #168
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
Might see a few more after the winter maybe.
You might see a few less too. How do the poor sods competing in CC explain to their sponsors why they didn't get the TV coverage they were promised? How many sponsors will pull their support because they've been let down?

Nigel, do you and your colleagues have any idea how long some dad's-and-their-lads spend putting CV's and proposals together, groveling to anyone who will listen to put together a racing budget?

It's yet another nail in the "young drivers trying to get a break in NZ motor sport" coffin. Good call TV3!
Old 28 Jun 2013, 21:30 (Ref:3271388)   #169
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel TV3 View Post
If we can get the number of cars to between 12 and 15 we would be in boots and all. I am a fan of CC, so here's hoping the numbers will increase.

Nigel
Producer
CRC Motorsport/TV3
Another question for you Nigel. The Suzy's were aired with single digit fields, yet you want 12-15 for CC before they get a look in. There must be more than field numbers to your decision because I don't follow yours maths?
Old 28 Jun 2013, 21:53 (Ref:3271396)   #170
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
HProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
Another question for you Nigel. The Suzy's were aired with single digit fields, yet you want 12-15 for CC before they get a look in. There must be more than field numbers to your decision because I don't follow yours maths?
I think I recall seeing the 'Uki coverage on 3 draped with Suzuki advertising - so I'd assume they're also tipping some money into TV.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 21:55 (Ref:3271399)   #171
Swedish Brick
Racer

Swedish Brick has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Isn't the whole show sponsored by Suzuki?
Old 29 Jun 2013, 00:02 (Ref:3271428)   #172
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the show was sponsored by CRC, but the sports segment of TV3 news is sponsored by Suzuki? happy to be corrected though.

Nigel, thanks for your comments, but on_to_it has a point.

Harcey, I agree, 7 cars is a poor showing, but I was of the understanding that it was still to be covered by Tv3, hence my question to Nigel/Tv3.

Also, anyone who attended Puke for round 3 may agree with me that the CC races, albeit small numbers, actually produced some dam good racing over the weekend, which is why is believe it should be aired.

But I guess my Q has been answered and we will not be seeing the CC races on TV.

It amazes me that there are something like 50 or so TL cars and neither camp can get big numbers along. And I am of course excluding the one-offs like the ITM400

Just did a quick count up for the TL's in last seasons NZV8's:

Teretonga - 6
Levels - 6
Taupo - 10
Manfield - 10
Taupo - 10
ITM400 - about 5000

As for V8CC:

HD - 9
Ruapuna - didn't run apparently
Puke - 7

Much of a muchness really

Last edited by NZSTfan; 29 Jun 2013 at 00:10.
Old 29 Jun 2013, 00:14 (Ref:3271431)   #173
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Harcey, I agree, 7 cars is a poor showing, but I was of the understanding that it was still to be covered by Tv3, hence my question to Nigel/Tv3.
what is worse ? not showing a poor field of cars as promised, or delivering a poor package and getting into an online feud??

Quote:
It amazes me that there are something like 50 or so TL cars and neither camp can get big numbers along. And I am of course excluding the one-offs like the ITM400
was thinking the same. with all these cars scattered around the country, 7-8 series regulars plus some locals drafted in for each round could look half decent ?
Old 29 Jun 2013, 00:25 (Ref:3271435)   #174
Swedish Brick
Racer

Swedish Brick has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'm sure we are bombarded with Suzuki ads during the Sunday shows. Might be the DTM as that's all I watch
Old 29 Jun 2013, 00:32 (Ref:3271439)   #175
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
so what happened to the promised improved tv package deal for the CC class the season?