Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 28 Jun 2004, 00:15 (Ref:1018240)   #151
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dov
That's nice of you to say that "I am the king of racing news", but I would rather have been in the pub with you! Yes, I saw the end of the race......I watched Mowlem's Saleen make contact with the #4 Corvette at the hairpin and then I watched his engine hood fly away like a bird, but I'm not sure what pass you are talking about. Btw Mags, I didn't know that you owned Lizards?! Are they the kind that can change colour?
Ah, I feel kinda possessive about those Lizards because Liz and I have been following them since day 1... I was SO so proud of Darren and the whole crew today! I even took the photos that they have on thier front page on the website!!!

I feel sort of like the Lizard mascot!
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 28 Jun 2004, 01:38 (Ref:1018261)   #152
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To win the GT class in only their (Flying Lizards) second race in ALMS is VERY impressive! Are you going to be in Lime Rock or is Liz going solo again? lol
Old 28 Jun 2004, 01:40 (Ref:1018262)   #153
Mags
Veteran

We are both going to have to give the Rock a skip I'm afraid..
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 28 Jun 2004, 01:43 (Ref:1018263)   #154
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
What about Sanoma or Portland? My cousin and I may go to the race at Mosport on August 8. BTW, is this the Sportscar & GT forum or the CCWS forum?

Last edited by Dov; 28 Jun 2004 at 01:44.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 01:44 (Ref:1018264)   #155
Mags
Veteran

I'm at both of those!!!
Old 28 Jun 2004, 01:45 (Ref:1018265)   #156
Mags
Veteran

Liz will be at Mosport.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 01:47 (Ref:1018266)   #157
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
MacDaddy said that you were going to be their too?!
Old 28 Jun 2004, 01:48 (Ref:1018267)   #158
Mags
Veteran

I'm hoping! Just looking at ticket prices today, and they are outragious!
Old 28 Jun 2004, 01:58 (Ref:1018273)   #159
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
And this is from somebody who just came back from LeMans?!
Old 28 Jun 2004, 02:01 (Ref:1018274)   #160
Mags
Veteran

That is why.. the CC is burning!!!
Old 28 Jun 2004, 19:28 (Ref:1019245)   #161
zerO
Veteran

zerO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Latest ramblings from IndyStar indicate that two SMI tracks will be added to IRL's schedule next year: Infineon Raceway in Sonoma,CA and the Las Vegas roundy-roundy which once was a complete flop for the IRL... a thought comes to mind here: "Let's go to Vegas since OWRS is going there... hihihaha..."

The other rambling those shills believe in is that the CCWS schedule may get announced before August - that was the originally planned timetable, but both GF & KK had said lately that September is much more likely... so, in whom shall we trust, heh ??...

And for those who missed it -> here's a Fantasy Layout of the London GP = http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto...ne/3735029.stm - note to skeptics: if it was such an impossibility then noone would spend time investigating this issue... and since F1 will most likely continue at Silverstone for quite a few years (no matter how much Bernie shall gripe) the thought of Champ Car in the streets of London (one day) isn't that far fetched ?!

zerO
Old 28 Jun 2004, 20:19 (Ref:1019293)   #162
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks good... but that section between Charing Cross and the National Gallery looks kinda weird. And that corner at the Marble Arch looks mad wicked!
Old 28 Jun 2004, 20:54 (Ref:1019344)   #163
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll eat my hat if there's ever a street race in London.

Or NYC!

Old 28 Jun 2004, 21:21 (Ref:1019413)   #164
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by zerO
Latest ramblings from IndyStar indicate that two SMI tracks will be added to IRL's schedule next year: Infineon Raceway in Sonoma,CA and the Las Vegas roundy-roundy which once was a complete flop for the IRL... a thought comes to mind here: "Let's go to Vegas since OWRS is going there... hihihaha..."

zerO
The first part of that is not quite true, Zer0...

Yes, the other Series has gone to Sonoma, as they have gone to other road circuits that they would consider running at in 2005....

But they have outlined specific changes that would be necessary for them to race there, including expanding some gravel traps and runnoff areas, and the installationof SAFER barriers in certain locations...

The owners would consider those recommendations and decide whether or nothey would do them....so Infineon will need to have those changes made in order to make it onto the schedule...

and Las Vegas has come into the talks only because Texas has a conflict with an added late NASCAR date down there that would be too close to the IRL season-closer....Las vegas gives that same owner group (SMI) the option to keep a race with the IRL, but run it at another one of their venues....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 28 Jun 2004, 21:23 (Ref:1019417)   #165
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Las Vegas would be a positive for the IRL for the simple reason it would stop two races being held at the same track each year.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 22:24 (Ref:1019508)   #166
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Sears Point is fine. The runoffs were just redone. New barriers and bridges were finished, and the whole thing was repaved. SAFER barriers, where? The front stretch is narrow enough now as it is. There are tires aplenty at the corner most often referred to as turn 10, which is just before the hairpin. The hairpin itself also has tires afronting its outside wall. I don't know that there's room for much to be done at the Carousel. There are the other portions of the road course, the drag strip, and that little hill that the corner itself is situated on.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 22:32 (Ref:1020806)   #167
zerO
Veteran

UPDATE: Original Post Redux ?!

According to OWRS we shall know the 2005 schedule between the end of July and September. In the meantime there is a nagging question whether we're going to see ovals disappear or not. At Long Beach, the OWRS CEO Dick Eidswick had said that "diversity" and ovals will still play a major role, but the Champ Car Troika has a slightly different plans. Due to the planned "new engine/chassis formula" to come into effect in 2006 there is a strong possibility that Milwaukee and oval racing will be dropped in favor of lighter, narrower and nimbler cars suitable for best performance on road and street courses.

Three months ago, Gerry Forsythe has stated: "We are working on seven (7) new venues for the 2005 schedule", he also added: "We are currently looking at races in Spain and the UK for 2005." Besides that, OWRS is also looking at other European venues, and lately it looks like F1 will ditch the San Marino GP next year, when asked about Imola Forsythe said: "We would have to talk to Bernie if he would bless us taking over for F1 at Imola, then certainly we would consider it." France and Germany are also being considered due to the possibility of attracting new engine manufacturers to the series.

On the international scene: Emerson Fittipaldi and Kevin Kalkhoven are currently working hard in trying to secure new venues in Brazil and Argentina, Stephen Watson is still pursuing luring Champ Car to South Africa, so are the new tracks in Dubai and Qatar, and most of all - Ford is pushing OWRS to race in China. Adding it all up, there is much more chances of expanding internationally than domestically.

According to Paul Gentilozzi there are plans to add a domestic race or two on the East Coast - St.Petersburg seems very likely here. There are rumors of a new Meadowlands, NJ project that may materialize. Houston street race is still being discussed, as is the St.Louis one. Even reconsidering Miami is given a thought.

All in all, we will see a 16-19 race schedule next year that will be quite drastically different from this year's. Don't know which current venues will suffer axing, but there are a few that are questionable for next year: Milwaukee, Portland, Denver, and Road America.

Here's an updated list of possible new venues, 5-7 of which we might see on the upcoming 2005 schedule - listed in order of probability:

1. SALTA, Argentina - road course
2. BRASÍLIA or SANTA CRUZ, Brazil - road course
3. ST.PETERSBURG, USA - street race
4. DURBAN, RSA - street race
5. JEREZ or BILBAO, Spain - street race
6. SILVERSTONE or DONINGTON, UK - road course
7. DUBAI, UAE - road course
8. HOUSTON, USA - street race
9. ADRIA or IMOLA, Italy - road course
10. HANNOVER, Germany - street race
11. MARSEILLES or PAU, France - street race
12. BEIJING, China - road course
13. GOTLANDRING, Sweden - road course
14. ST.PETERSBURG or MOSCOW, Russia - street or road course
15. BRNO, Czech Republic - road course
16. MEADOWLANDS,NJ USA - road course
17. ST.LOUIS, USA - street race
18. DOHA, Qatar - road course
19. MANCHESTER or LONDON, UK - street race
20. MADRID, Spain - road course (or oval)

And here's the Champ Car Troika's blueprint for next year's schedule ?! - listed in somewhat chronological order.

1. ST.PETERSBURG
2. BRASÍLIA, Brazil
3. SALTA, Argentina
4. LONG BEACH
5. LAS VEGAS
6. MONTERREY, Mexico
7. JEREZ or BILBAO, Spain
8. SILVERSTONE or DONINGTON, UK
9. MILWAUKEE*
10. PORTLAND*
11. CLEVELAND*
12. TORONTO, Canada
13. VANCOUVER, Canada*
14. ROAD AMERICA*
15. DENVER*
16. MONTREAL, Canada
17. LAGUNA SECA
18. DURBAN, RSA or DUBAI, UAE or DOHA, Qatar
19. SEOUL, S.Korea
20. SURFERS PARADISE, Australia
21. MEXICO CITY, Mexico

The final schedule will consist of 16-19 races - of the 6 venues with an asterisk 2 or 3 will most likely be dropped ?!... there is also a strong possibility of either Houston or St.Louis being added, and should the Beijing track be completed in time it will definitely be added... in the meantime all we can do is wait and see where will the OWRS' pertractations take us ?!

zerO
Old 29 Jun 2004, 23:48 (Ref:1020851)   #168
Mags
Veteran

I can't imagine Vancouver is there, but I do think we have 1 year left. 1 lousy year left in (one of) the most popular venues Champ Cars have *sigh*
Old 30 Jun 2004, 19:23 (Ref:1021775)   #169
zerO
Veteran

Hey Mags,
right after Milwaukee OWRS reps went to Vancouver (Toronto and Montreal as well) to re-negociate their contracts - whatever that entailed... plus keep in mind that the Olympic build-up is starting to come in a way... and should OWRS lose out with Portland then they might decide on a Seattle street race that would become a sub for both venues... food for thought... \

zerO
Old 30 Jun 2004, 19:36 (Ref:1021785)   #170
Mags
Veteran

Seattle has ZERO (sorry) places to hold it, plus downtown is a DUMP. I'd be very suprised if they do it.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 19:50 (Ref:1021797)   #171
zerO
Veteran

Oh, I agree with you 100% on that - Seattle street race is just as ridiculous as a Portland street race would be... hihihaha - ever seen downtown Portland after three days of rain ?... BUT, the forces that might be do have this silly idea under consideration... I've been laughing about it as much as a downtown Chicago or a Manhattan race... hihihaha... anyhow, we shall see what comes out of all this - most likely we'll see Vancouver AND Portland on CCWS schedule next year, anything beyond is another ballgame...

zerO

Last edited by zerO; 30 Jun 2004 at 19:52.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 19:57 (Ref:1021803)   #172
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
IMHO I believe OWRS will cut 2-4 North American races and add at least 2-3 international events. I want to see a race in Brazil and Germany and I don't want to lose Road America to the IRL!

Last edited by Dov; 30 Jun 2004 at 19:59.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 20:06 (Ref:1021805)   #173
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Dumping Milwaukee would be a HUGE mistake (IMO) unless they add Lausitzring. A schedule without even a single oval would be just plain wrong.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 20:12 (Ref:1021810)   #174
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
I agree 100%, but if zerO's correct regarding OWRS switching to a lighter, more nimble chassis for '06, then I don't see how we can have any ovals on the schedule.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 20:19 (Ref:1021817)   #175
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Just ten short years ago, there were six of 'em.
I don't like this new direction.