Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 4 Nov 2004, 17:12 (Ref:1144891)   #151
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Hazza
Robin Miller's sole purpose in life is to give some solid flame-bait to die hard CART supporters so they can post on forums - "Robin Miller sais cart rocks!".
I've heard that before and I don't know about that. He's made statements that have been extremely critical for both Champ Car and the IRL.
Old 4 Nov 2004, 19:29 (Ref:1145012)   #152
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Robin is an equal opportunity offender, IMO....

I read his columns and coverage for decades in the Indy Star...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 5 Nov 2004, 13:23 (Ref:1145516)   #153
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's important that Panther continue to run a second car - they have little hope of regaining their rightful place at the front with only one car, and Menard/Bell are unlikely to be there this year. I really hope Townsend can find something else - seeing him re-emerge as a serious contender was one of the nicer sights of 2004.
Old 5 Nov 2004, 13:49 (Ref:1145540)   #154
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why is Panther's "rightful" place at the front?

You don't have a right to any results in motor-racing, you have to earn them.

Resting on past glories is a sure way to slide down the field.
Old 5 Nov 2004, 16:21 (Ref:1145612)   #155
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes but we still class Penske as a top team and they have had one of their most uncompetitive seasons in years, similar to Panther, so why can't we still class Panther as a top team?
Old 5 Nov 2004, 16:45 (Ref:1145620)   #156
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Penske have decades of history behind them, not just a few years.

Anyway, not even Penske have a "rightful place" at the front.

The people who have a "rightful place" at the front are those who are at the front on any given day.

I didn't say anything about calling any team a top team or otherwise.
Old 6 Nov 2004, 13:37 (Ref:1146093)   #157
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by luke
Yes but we still class Penske as a top team and they have had one of their most uncompetitive seasons in years, similar to Panther, so why can't we still class Panther as a top team?
It's all about race wins, poles, and a engine that's 50X better. Penske simply had better results than Panther who have done pretty much nothing since Sam Jr left.
Old 6 Nov 2004, 15:11 (Ref:1146122)   #158
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They did virtually nothing before Sam arrived either. Panther, Kelley, Foyt et al aren't top teams in the wider scheme of things - generally they were flattered by the weaker fields of the past. Although all 3 are well and truly worthy of a place, and capable of having strong races, teams like AGR, Penske and Ganassi are giants of US racing.
Old 9 Nov 2004, 03:38 (Ref:1148182)   #159
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's a beauty for you.

Robin Miller said tonight on Windtunnel, that Chip Ganassi is trying to sign Ryan Hunter Reay of Champ Car fame, for his third IRL driver! I find this tough to believe, because Ryan is not an IRL fan, but hey, you never know.

He also said that Carpentier is a sure thing at Cheever's Red Bull team, and the engine will be Toyota.

Miller also reported that Ganassi had made a very good offer to buy Cosworth, but he was turned down because Ford was said to be going with somebody they thought had a better business plan for the company, likely meaning Kalkhoven.

Danica Patrick
Old 9 Nov 2004, 04:03 (Ref:1148192)   #160
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I saw that too. It's stuff like this that makes me not like Ganassi. RHR's future is somewhat uncertain in CC with Herdez sponsorship ending and Dominguez consistently having the better of RHR. The one clear exception was Milwaukee where RHR was the class of the field. That said, RHR has stated that he's a road course guy. While Manning is a bit different, last year Ganassi was able to pick him up. You can't blame Manning, a ride with Ganassi means your career is about as safe as its going to get and you will be in a mostly competitive car. (granted this year in any CC he probably would have been more competitive then with Ganassi in the IRL) The alternative is that you may not get to drive if in CC and it could end your career.
Old 9 Nov 2004, 10:57 (Ref:1148391)   #161
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any news about newcoming team Playa del Racing?
Old 9 Nov 2004, 11:25 (Ref:1148409)   #162
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So in other words Snrub, Chip Ganassi offers drivers a chance to improve or in some cases save their careers, and as a result he's evil?
Old 9 Nov 2004, 11:51 (Ref:1148427)   #163
Kicking-back
Veteran

If the choice is to drive for Ganassi in the IndyCar, or hang around waiting to see what pans out in Champ Car, I know what most drivers would do.
Old 9 Nov 2004, 12:52 (Ref:1148470)   #164
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although this is not directly related to the IRL, Robin also said that Midland racing, the new F1 team, was looking at Mario Dominguez to drive for them. Thats a shocker, because there are far better drivers out there IMO, that are better suited to go F1 racing. It looks like Bordais will stay in CC one more year before going F1.

You said it all Snrub, "a ride with Ganassi means your career is about as safe as its going to get, and you'll be in a competitive car". Can't blame any open wheel driver for looking for some security, in such insecure times.

Still nothing on Playa Del Racing climb. Would have thought we'd heard something by now...

Danica Patrick
Old 9 Nov 2004, 14:12 (Ref:1148553)   #165
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Indy Star reported on Oct. 28th or 29th that Playa Del Racing was supposed to announce their driver on Monday, November 1....that was according to the principal player with Playa, Mr. Sallee...

Never heard a word after that.....not a syllable....

Old 9 Nov 2004, 16:13 (Ref:1148646)   #166
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
I've heard that there will be a news conference out of Montreal today, which could be the announcement of Carpentier signing with Cheever, which is virtuall a done deal, or a possible Mechachrome announcement of some type...

Danica Patrick
Old 9 Nov 2004, 16:30 (Ref:1148665)   #167
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Could be both. Mechachrome is Carpentier's personal sponsor apparantly.
Old 9 Nov 2004, 16:34 (Ref:1148670)   #168
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
Although this is not directly related to the IRL, Robin also said that Midland racing, the new F1 team, was looking at Mario Dominguez to drive for them. Thats a shocker, because there are far better drivers out there IMO, that are better suited to go F1 racing. It looks like Bordais will stay in CC one more year before going F1.
One word - nationality. With a Mexican Grand Prix in 2006, having a Mexican driver would be ideal for sponsorship potential - and Mario is better-backed than Jourdain, especially if Gigante live up to their threat to quit. And at least he isn't Avril Lavin.
Old 10 Nov 2004, 07:25 (Ref:1149228)   #169
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed.
Old 10 Nov 2004, 13:41 (Ref:1149476)   #170
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Here's the announcement-

From 11/10/04 Indianapolis Star:

Carpentier to join Cheever

November 10, 2004

Veteran Champ Car driver Patrick Carpentier will join Alex Barron on the two-car Cheever Racing team in the Indy Racing League, a top team official confirmed.

The Indianapolis-based team also is switching to Toyota engines for 2005. It has used Chevrolets the past two seasons.

Carpentier, a 33-year-old Canadian, has been in Champ Car the past eight seasons, the past seven for Forsythe Racing. He won five races while in the series and finished third in points this year. He'll replace Ed Carpenter on Eddie Cheever Jr.'s team.

Cheever hopes to announce a third car to the 2005 stable next month.

This line-up should be pretty formidable, and with Toyota power, he could really be at the front of the pack next season. Who will the third car be though? Hmmmmm....maybe Eddie? naaahhh, probably not...

Danica Patrick
Old 10 Nov 2004, 13:42 (Ref:1149480)   #171
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
The Indy Star reports today that a top team official with Cheever Racing has confirmed that Patrick Carpentier and Alex Barron will be the pilots of a two-car effort fin the IRL for 2005, and that they will in fact switch to Toyota power...

The final line in the brief news item also says that "Cheever hopes to announce a third car to the 2005 stable next month"

So Alex is staying put....wonder where that leaves Mo Nunn in his search for Takagi's replacement???

Old 10 Nov 2004, 13:43 (Ref:1149482)   #172
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Haha, beat you by 1 minute Tim!

Danica Patrick
Old 10 Nov 2004, 13:47 (Ref:1149487)   #173
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I'm surprised that my post went through....my computer froze up for about 4-5 minutes, and I got a "program Is Not responding" message" back...

I think the real issue is who will take the Mo Nunn seat....the speculation was that Alex would leave Cheever's operation and possibly go back to Mo Nunn....

Cheever was wise to keep Alex...he is a solid driver...and the Carpentier-Barron pair should work pretty well together as a team for set-ups, etc...

Old 10 Nov 2004, 13:51 (Ref:1149490)   #174
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Now I just hope Team Cheever will be able to step up their game so Carpentier gets a chance to be competitive - I would hate to see him be a backmarker.
Old 10 Nov 2004, 13:51 (Ref:1149492)   #175
Kicking-back
Veteran

I wonder if it may be worth IndyCar pushing to get one of the Canadian races on board now...