Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 19 Oct 2007, 18:39 (Ref:2044828)   #151
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG

Will GT2 remain as is, save for a little cost reduction?
would be strange to have the same cars in GT1 and 2 wouldn't it?
Old 20 Oct 2007, 01:56 (Ref:2045100)   #152
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They won't be the same cars, rather new GT1 cars (Ferrari 599 etc.) using GT2 based regs, with unrestricted engines.

Porsche for example could run a 997 Turbo in GT1, the chassis would be similar to a 997 GT3 RSR, but the engine would be an unrestricted Turbo putting out similar power to the road car.

Unrestricted engines are being propased to cut down on engine development costs. It's cheeper to allow cars to run a little heavier, closer to their road going weight, compensating this by allowing them to produce more power.

Last edited by JAG; 20 Oct 2007 at 02:05.
Old 20 Oct 2007, 02:46 (Ref:2045106)   #153
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
They won't be the same cars, rather new GT1 cars (Ferrari 599 etc.) using GT2 based regs, with unrestricted engines.

Porsche for example could run a 997 Turbo in GT1, the chassis would be similar to a 997 GT3 RSR, but the engine would be an unrestricted Turbo putting out similar power to the road car.

Unrestricted engines are being propased to cut down on engine development costs. It's cheeper to allow cars to run a little heavier, closer to their road going weight, compensating this by allowing them to produce more power.
I highly doubt we will see unrestricted engines. I know that is what Ratel said but it would do nothing but spark a h.p. war. I think that it would/will end up more like the GT-2 formula that already exsists just heavier weight and less restrictor (more air) for a given displacement. IMO of course!

L.P.
Old 20 Oct 2007, 03:48 (Ref:2045126)   #154
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
Subaru_WRX_STi has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
GT3 as the premier GT class ! why ?
the GT2 is offring great battles this year in the both LM series and FIA GT ! so why replace it with the less powerful GT3 ?
Old 20 Oct 2007, 06:16 (Ref:2045164)   #155
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Just a small note of clarification: Porsche would run it's 997 GT2 (model) which is a turbo. It is different to the normal Porsche Turbo. The road going 997 Porsche Turbo has about 480 bhp whilst the new road going 997 GT2 has 530 bhp. Also - The 997 Turbo is four wheel drive whilst the GT2 is not.
The 997 GT3 RSR is the car that Porsche currently uses in GT2 and is non-Turbo
Old 20 Oct 2007, 11:48 (Ref:2045308)   #156
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
I highly doubt we will see unrestricted engines. I know that is what Ratel said but it would do nothing but spark a h.p. war. I think that it would/will end up more like the GT-2 formula that already exsists just heavier weight and less restrictor (more air) for a given displacement. IMO of course!

L.P.
Unrestrited? I and many others would love to see that. But not likely.

If the corvettes could tune and run their cars unrestricted, not likley as it would require too much mechainical changes to the LS7.r, but if they did, the corvette speeds and times would be closer to the Audi times and speeds. Estimated of around 900 BHP.

Personally I dont think we will ever see a Ferrari 599 GTC in GT1. Ferrari is too busy with their F430, F1 programs and the new A1GP cars & engine program. Plus the Ferrari F430 Challange race program. But sure would be cool if they did.

IIRC the Porsche 997 GT3 RSR is a much different car then the GT2. The bodies may look alike, but under the skin, there is enough of a difference.

Besides GT1 should be the premier sports car race class for developing new cars, almost unrestricted race cars, not always customer cars. That is what GT2 is for.
Old 13 Nov 2007, 18:25 (Ref:2066719)   #157
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hugh de Chaunac said that the ACO will make the 2010 regulations official in two weeks. So we should probably know by the Friday after next.
*via Motors TV report by David Legangneux.

L.P.
Old 14 Nov 2007, 07:23 (Ref:2067096)   #158
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Hugh de Chaunac said that the ACO will make the 2010 regulations official in two weeks. So we should probably know by the Friday after next.
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...07#post2064707
Old 14 Nov 2007, 12:43 (Ref:2067262)   #159
Sportscarguy08
Racer

Sportscarguy08 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring
make current Gt2 regs and change it to GT1 (introduce a New GT2 Corvette and Aston)
I think Aston is already ahead of you:
[CENTER]

mod note: images from dailysportscar removed - p-c

my guess is that these are for customers and not the factory as they were testing the GT1 DBR9 as well....

Last edited by paul-collins; 14 Nov 2007 at 14:17.
Old 14 Nov 2007, 13:46 (Ref:2067315)   #160
Sportscarguy08
Racer

I think that this car could be a real challenger.
(btw, the images shown were not taken by me therefore are not mine)
Old 14 Nov 2007, 14:03 (Ref:2067324)   #161
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

L.P.
Will the announcement include the regulations for GT's, or just prototypes? I'm not sure if the GT issue will be resolved by then...
Old 14 Nov 2007, 14:21 (Ref:2067332)   #162
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblincoe
Will the announcement include the regulations for GT's, or just prototypes? I'm not sure if the GT issue will be resolved by then...
Both. and my guess YES the GT issure will be resolved. However, many ppl might not like the answeres
Old 14 Nov 2007, 15:03 (Ref:2067357)   #163
Sportscarguy08
Racer

What will happen to the new GT2 european championship if the gt3 rules are adopted by the aco?

both parties need to come up with something that benefits both series.
Old 14 Nov 2007, 16:36 (Ref:2067420)   #164
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportscarguy08
What will happen to the new GT2 european championship if the gt3 rules are adopted by the aco?

both parties need to come up with something that benefits both series.
We will see in a few days, But IMO the ACO does not addopt anyone rules. It is the other way around.
Old 14 Nov 2007, 17:11 (Ref:2067443)   #165
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Both. and my guess YES the GT issure will be resolved. However, many ppl might not like the answeres
Is that a firm, confirmed "both" or the the result of speculation? I'm just trying to clarify, as I hope that both rules sets are announced. However, it hasn't been entirely clear that the GT rules decision would be made until early 2008 due to ongoing discussions with the SRO/FIA.
Old 14 Nov 2007, 17:35 (Ref:2067464)   #166
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
I am sure the ACO will make their announcements soon for both classes. It is up to the FIA/SRO to adapt the ACOs rules. Not the other way around or a joint agreements. I could be wrong, but then again the ACO will do what they want. the ACO has the LM24. Not the other way around.

Winning the LM24 for sports car manufactures ( with works or privateer team) is one of the biggest Sports Car Marketing Exercises out side F1.
Old 14 Nov 2007, 17:48 (Ref:2067471)   #167
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
and selling arouns 5 cars for LMS+ALMS=>LM24h is a good idea to make money from

Ciao Marco
Old 14 Nov 2007, 19:14 (Ref:2067523)   #168
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
I am sure the ACO will make their announcements soon for both classes. It is up to the FIA/SRO to adapt the ACOs rules. Not the other way around or a joint agreements. I could be wrong, but then again the ACO will do what they want. the ACO has the LM24. Not the other way around.

Winning the LM24 for sports car manufactures ( with works or privateer team) is one of the biggest Sports Car Marketing Exercises out side F1.
That is like saying that the IMSA should adopt GARRA rules because they have the Daytona 24 hr race.

As pixilated as the FIA can be, the last thing you want running the whole show is the ACO.
Old 7 Jul 2008, 08:59 (Ref:2246106)   #169
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
It seems GT3 like performance balancing is silently being implemented in GT2? George Howard Chappell said the following in an interview with Racecar Engineering:
Quote:
It’s been a clear decision by us to build an affordable GT2 car. It’s more economically priced than the Porsche and it’s a lot better deal than the Ferraris. And with performance balancing now in place, it’s very pointless making a really expensive car that people struggle to afford. The ACO will adopt the majority of what the FIA do in order to equalise the car. They too are not in favour of people spending huge R&D budgets making a fast racing car for no good reason.
source: http://www.racecar-engineering.com/n...n-le-mans.html
Old 7 Jul 2008, 09:51 (Ref:2246149)   #170
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Mixed feelings about performance balancing in GT2. I like the GT3 series (especially FIA GT3, British GT3) but GT2 is a place were manufacturers can showcase their engineering skills. On the other hand spectators want to see big grids, close racing and different manufacturers. If a performance balanced GT2 class delivers close racing, lower costs, more manufacturers and big grids like in FIA GT3 I would say give it a try. According this quote from Chappell they agree with performance balancing. What do Porsche and Ferrari want? If I remember well Porsche is not a fan of GT3. With Ferraris current succes I think they don't like it either.
Old 7 Jul 2008, 10:33 (Ref:2246182)   #171
gucom
Racer

gucom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I feel performance balancing has no place at Le Mans, it's meant to be a test of engineering skills, what's the point if you cancel any advantage that you create while using those skills?

'to make a fast racing car for no good reason' => say what???
Old 7 Jul 2008, 12:36 (Ref:2246302)   #172
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
yeah .. that quote caught my attention too ..
he's not an engineer .. that's for sure
the answer for that would be .. "because we can"

Ciao Marco
Old 7 Jul 2008, 13:29 (Ref:2246340)   #173
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Somewhere in the world...
Dario911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you consider the level of the actual GT3 cars, they're not so distant from GT2 for engine specs: Porsche 911 GT3 Cup S has 440 ps, the same power of the 430 GT2, while F430 GT3 has got 490 ps.
Both, 911 Cup S and 430 GT3, are cheaper than GT2, and the main differences are in aerodynamic exasperation and electronic systems.
I think it would be interesting to change GT2 with GT3, to have a larger number of cars and teams (not only Porsche and Ferrari).
But, from another point of view, the lap time difference from the LMP1, LMP2 and GT1 would be too much, and this would be a risk in a race like Le Mans.
Otherwise, it should be necessary to replace the actual GT1 with GT2, and the actual GT2 with the GT3. In this way, the the new GT1s and GT2s would be closer.
Le Mans, 23/06/2013, 15:00, Allan we miss you!
Porsche 1°-2° in GTE-Pro class with 991 GT3 RSR
Porsche 1st. place in GTE-Am class with 997 GT3 RSR
Old 7 Jul 2008, 15:18 (Ref:2246422)   #174
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With GT2 and GT3 now almost identical, I say make it one class and throw it out of LeMans, the 2nd GT class is not needed there and GT1 is where the manufacturers should fight against each others, not in a lower class, leave that to the privateers.
Old 7 Jul 2008, 18:10 (Ref:2246531)   #175
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario911
If you consider the level of the actual GT3 cars, they're not so distant from GT2 for engine specs: Porsche 911 GT3 Cup S has 440 ps, the same power of the 430 GT2, while F430 GT3 has got 490 ps.
the currect GT2 Porsche is much faster then the GT3 porsche counterpart.
Might want too look at the tech differences.