Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Aug 2007, 07:49 (Ref:1996189)   #151
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Fortunately in my bit of historic racing, I can use steel rods and cranks etc.

Doesn't make it less original or less historic.
so can we Peter, it was around in period, it'd be interesting to get analysis on modern vs period though . . .also I section forged rods are period correct, ultra lightweight H section are not. likewise crank design, piston design etc etc
Old 3 Sep 2007, 19:51 (Ref:2002961)   #152
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So where do we stand on rebuilding the crashed cars from the Revival then? Are they still genuine or not?

When I see the Revival the historian in me says "What a shame, a piece of motor racing history trashed". The racing driver in me says "These cars are meant to race, they're not racing cars if they're sat in a museum or on a parade".

But should they be allowed out to race again with new shells or panels from modern materials, we've got the photgraphic evidence they're not original anymore
Old 3 Sep 2007, 21:00 (Ref:2003027)   #153
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bizzarini?New Shell???.The people who will be rebuilding it WILL build it as it should be.

Last edited by terence; 3 Sep 2007 at 21:06.
Old 3 Sep 2007, 21:05 (Ref:2003035)   #154
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Bizzarini?New Shell???
Surely they built 100s, if not 1000s of Bizzarinis though Terry??
Old 3 Sep 2007, 21:29 (Ref:2003057)   #155
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They had after this weekend
Old 3 Sep 2007, 22:35 (Ref:2003107)   #156
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
They had after this weekend
With all these spare panels now going around for ISOs maybe they can reshell the Mark Hales and Richard Attwood car that so gainfully met with Dad's Ferrari in 2004!!
Old 4 Sep 2007, 07:35 (Ref:2003280)   #157
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman
So where do we stand on rebuilding the crashed cars from the Revival then? Are they still genuine or not?

When I see the Revival the historian in me says "What a shame, a piece of motor racing history trashed". The racing driver in me says "These cars are meant to race, they're not racing cars if they're sat in a museum or on a parade".

But should they be allowed out to race again with new shells or panels from modern materials, we've got the photgraphic evidence they're not original anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
2) Original cars with a documented provenance and history (but with maybe some gaps in 'known' history); have been subject to development, initially to keep them competitive in contemporary racing but more recently to respond to safety requirements and the demands of maintenance. Will obviously have had many components rebuilt or replaced over the years, which means of course that advantages will have been taken to utilise modern materials and tuning knowledge, for example, on the internals in an engine rebuild. May also have had to be restored after long lay off or major crash damage. These are the cars that we liken to George Washington's axe that Andrew Fellowes is concerned about. However, I suggest that this category is likely to represent a substantial proportion of cars in the historic racing scene today, along with category 3, below.
Racing cars have always been crashed. They get rebuilt, and if the damage is bad enough, they get reshelled. They have continuous, documented provenance; they were built to race; it is their raison d'etre and should be allowed to continue to do so until hell freezes over! This is a quite different situation from the issues over replica and, most worryingly, continuation cars.

Last edited by John Turner; 4 Sep 2007 at 07:38.
Old 4 Sep 2007, 08:25 (Ref:2003315)   #158
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
most of the cars have been extensively reworked anyway haven't they ?
Old 4 Sep 2007, 08:28 (Ref:2003318)   #159
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quite right John,There is no comparison to a continuation caa in instances such as this,Cars such as these often need the occaisional new panel made and fitted.Any Panel Maker worth his pay would only make a replacement in the correct fashion.
Old 4 Sep 2007, 08:32 (Ref:2003323)   #160
GBRM
Veteran

England
And hopefully out of the original material too!!
Old 4 Sep 2007, 08:44 (Ref:2003335)   #161
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
The original type of ally is still available so there would be no reason to use anything else,it,s that much easier to use.
Old 4 Sep 2007, 09:35 (Ref:2003380)   #162
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
>>>>>>>Bizzarini?New Shell???.

Terence, I didn't say that! Or at least I didn't mean to...

I have a problem with the Washington Axe school of thought but I don't have any better answer.
Old 4 Sep 2007, 10:03 (Ref:2003402)   #163
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Perhaps the implication was misunderstood.
Old 4 Sep 2007, 13:42 (Ref:2003577)   #164
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The original type of ally is still available so there would be no reason to use anything else,it,s that much easier to use.
I recall some years ago when Neil Corner crashed the Mercedes W125 at Silverstone, there was consternation because the aluminium was a bit special. Until someone discovered that if you melted down a few Homebase garden chairs you got exactly the same material.
Old 4 Sep 2007, 14:22 (Ref:2003602)   #165
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Yes ,it was/is a mag alloy mix.Apparently they had built one or two planes in the same material.