Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 22 Aug 2021, 14:42 (Ref:4069804)   #1726
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
I must say I'm very impressed by everyone in the Hypercar class.

Signatech Alpine—flawless—stepped up to the plate. I hope they get the proper works gig soon.
Glickenhaus hopefully shut up the doubters. They're the real deal.
And Toyota impressed with how well they managed all the problems with minimal losses. It wasn't a perfect race for them, yet they were still retained that 20+ minute safety margin over the Oreca 07 horde.

Also, I quite enjoyed listening to Oliver Gavin and Darren Turner for the first time!

Thanks everyone for keeping me company and especially to Adam the Stat Guy for all the data
Old 22 Aug 2021, 14:46 (Ref:4069806)   #1727
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I’m still coming down from that.

In some ways, that was even stranger than 2020, which I had emotionally accepted as not a usual Le Mans. There was something missing. I guess it boils down to the fact that Le Mans with limited fans in August feels a little bit like Christmas with no family in February.

But still - what a finish. What I felt lacked Le Mans magic was made up with adrenaline. I really thought in 2016 that it was the most remarkable finish I’d ever see here, but that trumps it! I hope the flag procedure is tweaked rather than ended in the events of what happened.

Well done to the team, drivers, and all of you who stayed up for the whole thing! I did 20 hours I reckon, nowhere near a personal best but a fair effort I believe.
Old 22 Aug 2021, 14:48 (Ref:4069807)   #1728
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeW04 View Post
Would of put a complete downer on the weekend had that bloke been hit and sent up in the air towards the Bugatti circuit, also makes a complete mockery of all the other rules when somebody is stood in the middle of a live race circuit.

No surprise they haven’t shown a replay of it either
https://twitter.com/24hoursoflemans/status/1429444748474003456?s=19
Old 22 Aug 2021, 14:50 (Ref:4069809)   #1729
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Top stuff everyone

I’m going to have a nap.
Yep.... nearly 1am Monday here now. I made it through.

.... https://youtu.be/kZTBDnj0Cgc
Old 22 Aug 2021, 14:54 (Ref:4069812)   #1730
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Moment of the race for me.

https://twitter.com/24hoursoflemans/...33291845799936
Old 22 Aug 2021, 14:56 (Ref:4069814)   #1731
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
I hope the flag procedure is tweaked rather than ended in the events of what happened.
The only thing that needs tweaking is communication. The guy should have been warned. In the past, during close-ish finishes for the overall win, they took measures to make sure the flagger isn't run over and the race director even warned all other competitors about the finish being "a hot one".
Old 22 Aug 2021, 15:11 (Ref:4069816)   #1732
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Takeaways from LM this year:

Bittersweet for WRT, being robbed of a 1-2 similar to how LM ended for Toyota in 2016, but WRT still got one car home in the top spot. Which was more than what I expected in such a packed class for them to be basically class of the field, given their limited prototype experience and they never seriously raced at LM before.

Things didn't look good for Glickenhaus the first half of the race, but the second half fortunately was a polar 180 from how the race started. Probably easily would've gotten a debut podium all else being equal if not for the horrible start to the race they had. But like Toyota, they probably learned more over the course of this race than they have over the whole season so far.

The LMH cars didn't have the LMP2 cars clinging to the tail of them like in the sprint races or as much as practice and the test day suggested.

Toyota did a good job of managing whatever problem they had in the later stages of the race (I don't think we'll find out exactly the issue or its nature until later on, obviously). Also, the brake problems that they've had off an on all year didn't really rear it's head in as significant a manner as it did at Spa and Monza in the race.

Also, needless to say, just like Earnhardt with the Daytona 500 in '98, it's about time the #7 Toyota team got their win. They've already done just about everything of importance at LM and the WEC aside from win the big one. This year, everything finally added up, and it seemed like the #8 was lady luck's punching bag this time, and even they kind of got away with things that could've turned out a lot worse for them.
Old 22 Aug 2021, 15:40 (Ref:4069820)   #1733
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Must remember zip ties for Petit
Old 22 Aug 2021, 15:52 (Ref:4069822)   #1734
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by C6R Racing Fan View Post
at least we don't have to wait 12months to do this again (hopefully)

Peugeot!
I'll have a fiver on it with anyone that Peugeot don't do as good a job as Glickenhaus next year.... (assuming they're there).
Old 22 Aug 2021, 15:52 (Ref:4069823)   #1735
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
4th le mans in a row won without serious competitors, but I'm glad #7 finally got some glory
No serious competitors? I think virtually all of them were pretty serious.
Old 22 Aug 2021, 15:56 (Ref:4069824)   #1736
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I just want to say a big thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread during the race, particularly during the wee hours, keeping me company on here in my (24) hour(s), of need.... I know many of you don't (or can't) go but as someone who has been many times and would have expected to be there this year, not going was pretty deflating. For me, I actually enjoyed the race a lot more than last year. Shame about Franco binning the #26 with the #1 during the night, otherwise I think my lad could well have been celebrating a podium. Such is life.... But I shall raise a glass of something non-alcoholic to Jim Glickenhaus and Vincent Vosse for doing an exceptional job.
Old 22 Aug 2021, 16:16 (Ref:4069827)   #1737
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I'll have a fiver on it with anyone that Peugeot don't do as good a job as Glickenhaus next year.... (assuming they're there).
Only a fiver? Optimistic man I see
Quote:
How dare you point out that in order to finish first, first you must finish. And all the dilettantes that enter just to have a nice Sunday drive in the French countryside

Market rush took up my time after the finish so late late thoughts.

Hypercars all finished, not bad for new regs. Guess I'm stuck wearing the Glickenhaus shirt every race now since they finished, don't knock baseball superstition level. I think Jim may have a point about BOP bringing them a bit closer but time and tuning the car could help the gap.

LMP2 runs well and good competition, yes it's a bit like Indycars but I watch that and enjoy it too. Heartbreak at the end the 41 but that anyways seems to happen to someone in the last hour.

GTE seemed close and even most of the race, Porsche couldn't hang with the long runs it seemed. C8 will get stronger from the repairs and testing on the 64. I'll admit I didn't pay much attention in Am but seemed good fight, sadly with more than a few big retirements.

Enjoyable and think I missed about 4ish hours at the predawn hours. Wife mocked me for listening to RLM while I "slept" a bit this early morning while she was baking. Missed the last hour of video, think I'll catch some of the ESv video and the team reactions when I get home. Seemed like a great race and if we only add teams from here it can only get better. Before it inevitably implodes again.

Last edited by broadrun96; 22 Aug 2021 at 16:32.
Old 22 Aug 2021, 16:19 (Ref:4069828)   #1738
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
The only thing that needs tweaking is communication. The guy should have been warned. In the past, during close-ish finishes for the overall win, they took measures to make sure the flagger isn't run over and the race director even warned all other competitors about the finish being "a hot one".

And I think they did declare a hot one as they did a warm down lap. But clearly no one told the flag guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 Aug 2021, 16:40 (Ref:4069832)   #1739
Toyotats03OUS
Veteran

United States
U.S.A
Toyotats03OUS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I will say that reason toyota was soo spot on and so prepared is because they had potential competitions. And the pressure was on Toyota to not get beat by a new privateer team and an old lmp1 grandfather prototype.

Also Peugeot success at le man next year depends on the type of tech that they will bring, glickenhaus is a more conventional ( aerodynamically and power unit ) machine. But if Peugeot brings unproven tech like Toyota did with their electric motor when they first joined the WEC, they will most likely will have lots of issue to sort out.
Old 22 Aug 2021, 16:51 (Ref:4069833)   #1740
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The cars are too dang reliable now. My favorite Le Mans in the past decade is still 2017 because that year you did have that unpredictability factory. Thought there was a chance it would happen this year. Credit to Toyota, Gickenhaus, and Alpine. They got their cars home and ahead of the LMP2 class to boot.
Old 22 Aug 2021, 16:52 (Ref:4069834)   #1741
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldStallion View Post
The cars are too dang reliable now. My favorite Le Mans in the past decade is still 2017 because that year you did have that unpredictability factory. Thought there was a chance it would happen this year. Credit to Toyota, Gickenhaus, and Alpine. They got their cars home and ahead of the LMP2 class to boot.

2011 was my favourite… an amazing race

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 Aug 2021, 17:09 (Ref:4069836)   #1742
Toyotats03OUS
Veteran

United States
U.S.A
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldStallion View Post
Indeed they are. And even though Toyota was putting quick lap times, I don’t think Toyota was actually pushing the GR. Earlier in the year I read some comments about they GR not having potential and Toyota needing to redesign the car, something along those lines, but it seems to me that this car has lots of potential and be is success full as it’s predecessor ( Ts050). We will see how fast she can go when more competition joints in the future.
Old 22 Aug 2021, 17:13 (Ref:4069837)   #1743
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotats03OUS View Post
glickenhaus is a more conventional ( aerodynamically and power unit ) machine.
I disagree on the aero point. The attempt to make very old school looks work with modern demands and regulations required quite an unconventional aero design from SCG and Sauber. Certainly less conventional than Toyota and R13.
Old 22 Aug 2021, 17:36 (Ref:4069842)   #1744
Toyotats03OUS
Veteran

United States
U.S.A
Quote:
I disagree on the aero point. The attempt to make very old school looks work with modern demands and regulations required quite an unconventional aero design from SCG and Sauber. Certainly less conventional than Toyota and R13.
I was referring more to Peugeot wingless design..
Old 22 Aug 2021, 17:48 (Ref:4069844)   #1745
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
I was referring more to Peugeot wingless design..
But that's a Peugeot, not a Glickenhaus..... Right now, all the aero we see is conventional compared to the (as yet untried) Peugeot. FWIW I have a strong feeling that the Peugeot will sprout more 'conventional' aero at some point in the future....
Old 22 Aug 2021, 17:49 (Ref:4069845)   #1746
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Finally a victory for the #7 congrats to the crew.

Incredibly, all five P1 cars arrived. Well done for Glickenhaus.

Heartbreaking note was the #41 stopping on the very last lap.
Old 22 Aug 2021, 17:52 (Ref:4069847)   #1747
Toyotats03OUS
Veteran

United States
U.S.A
Quote:
Not to mention they certainty weren’t faster or had any aerodynamic advantage, specially over the Toyotas..

Their car was all over the place the entire week and the race weekend specially After the lap times started to dropped passed the 3:29 mark.. they just couldn’t keep up with the alpine and the Toyota’s..

I don’t know if their lock of grip or speed ( specially sector 3 ) was due to poor aerodynamic or lock of downforce or maybe tires or set up but hopefully they can sort that out soon and by next year be competitive. I’m proud of what they accomplished today!.
Old 22 Aug 2021, 18:19 (Ref:4069851)   #1748
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Not to mention they certainty weren’t faster or had any aerodynamic advantage, specially over the Toyotas..

Their car was all over the place the entire week and the race weekend specially After the lap times started to dropped passed the 3:29 mark.. they just couldn’t keep up with the alpine and the Toyota’s..

I don’t know if their lock of grip or speed ( specially sector 3 ) was due to poor aerodynamic or lock of downforce or maybe tires or set up but hopefully they can sort that out soon and by next year be competitive. I’m proud of what they accomplished today!.
Apart from BoP, Jim also made a point of mentioning working closer with Michelin to develop tyres that are better suited to hybrid-less LMHs in his interviews.
Old 22 Aug 2021, 18:48 (Ref:4069854)   #1749
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hard to tell about 007, in theory according to LMH rules, aero design should be irrelevant if max downforce allowed is reached somehow, well that in theory guess in real life things are a bit different since aero balance isn't something you can easily measure as can be measured the overall N generated by the downforce.
I think also that their V8 turbo is extremely heavy and this make 007 weight distribution unbalanced to the rear, this could explain why the car was so all over the place and really loose on rear when running through porsche corners...
then, there is also to consider that 007 and alpine use big 34/71-18 tires on rear, the larger a tire is, more downforce is required to keep the opt temp...
anyway these are just speculations, but performancewise at the moment 007 is nowhere close to be a serious challenger for toyotas.
I don't even know how bop may help somehow honestly apart giving extra ballast to toyota maybe, but gr010 managed to drop 3 seconds from nowhere during hyperpole so what we have seen in race was likely 80-85% of toyota true potential.
Old 22 Aug 2021, 19:21 (Ref:4069857)   #1750
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It seems it is not an easy car to drive, or at least, a car with a narrow operating window. Not what you want for endurance racing. Some time in the races will come from improving this.

It seems they nailed their brake wear issue. Driveability might be the next thing to work on. Shame we won't get to see it for a bit.